Lixil

Holiday season events and more

Hi everyone,

We're now exactly five months into taking over the game. Lots of work has gone on behind the scenes with new forums, new website, new anti-cheat, improved DDoS protection, new Trading System, new Weapon Balance, and a slew of other smaller changes.

The work on unifying the code in Unreal 3.5 is ongoing, but the holidays are here, and I want to re-focus on the most important part of APB that we haven't spent a lot of time on... Fun. APB is a game, and we haven't been great about offering players anything new in a while. So we're changing that.

The team did some brainstorming, and we were able to take some bits and pieces of RIOT mode and work some overtime to turn them into some new events for this year's holiday season.

That's right.

From October through December, players will be able to engage in NEW modes and content to earn special rewards.

There is a lot coming up, so for this update, I'm just going to focus on October and November. 

Halloween Costume Contest

Next week we are going to announce the rules and rewards for our Halloween creative contest. This will be a fun way to get into the spooky spirit leading up to our first major new holiday event.

Epidemic Event (PC)

Happening in late October, a nefarious plot begins to poison San Paro's Residents and turn them Evil! Having discovered a dangerous contagion that will turn citizens into mindless zombies, an evil corporation has paid our players to spread it amongst the masses. Unbeknownst to them however, two other corporations have had the exact same plan, and are preparing to release their own pathogens.

Players are assigned to one of three teams, each starting in one corner of the district. From here, they will work together to carry poison barrels throughout the district, protecting them until they can infect each block. This takes over the block for your team, and provides the team more barrels to carry and spread the toxins further. Be the first team to reach 100% infection rate in the district and capture the central block to win the event.

Complete unique Daily Challenges during this event and level up your Epidemic role. Keep coming back to gain access to new spooky rewards and a second chance to win some that you may have missed in previous years.

Headless Horseman (Xbox One & PS4)

Starting on October 24th, the pumpkins and Headless Horseman will return to San Paro. The rules are simple:

• Collect X amount of pumpkins to become the HORSEMAN and start the event).
  • The HORSEMAN must kill other players to convert them HORSEMAN'S army (SOLDIERS).
  • SOLDIERS must kill other players to recruit them into the HORSEMAN'S army.
  • SURVIVORS must avoid being killed, till time runs out (Timer Ends).

NOTE: Survivors blip on the Horseman's army's radar when the bell tolls, signifying that the Horseman Event is coming to an end...keep fighting, running or hiding to survive.

New Gun Games (PC)

Starting in November, GMs will be entering action districts and starting one of several variations of the Gun Games event. Compete with other players to kill with each weapon in a number of uniquely themed weapon sets. Participating in the Gun Games will earn you Joker Tickets, and winning the event will win you the coveted Butcher Weapon Skin.

Stay tuned, and we'll be releasing more details on all of these events as we get closer.

Thanks,

Matt

this is the butcher skin, for those who dont know

7243135814_b88cac1d33.jpg

edit: also looks like the new mode isnt a battle royale after all, seeing as the new pieces of the game mode are territory control oriented

lol told you so

Edited by BXNNXD
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Starting in November, GMs will be entering action districts and starting one of several variations of the Gun Games event. Compete with other players to kill with each weapon in a number of uniquely themed weapon sets. Participating in the Gun Games will earn you Joker Tickets, and winning the event will win you the coveted Butcher Weapon Skin.

sX2ZeUg.gif

It's been a loooong time since we could earn that

• Like 1

What is this? A BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY MODE? Hide yo wife, Hide yo kids...

uu9pmDP.gif

• Like 2

Just now, Knite said:

-snip-

It's been a loooong time since we could earn that

I wonder how often it's going to happen

wow, didn't expect actual content untill UE3.5 is finished... atleast we have something to do while waiting (instead of playing other games LUL)
thanks for that!

• Like 1

Awesome, absolutely awesome. Great work team, great work Matt, Lixil, Selali, Androvald, Aphadon, Beastie and whoever else I might've missed. (I'm sorry!)

"Having discovered a dangerous contagion that will turn citizens into mindless zombies, an evil corporation has paid our players to spread it amongst the masses. Unbeknownst to them however, two other corporations have had the exact same plan, and are preparing to release their own pathogens."

Little Orbit actually gave us a zombie themed game mode that doesnt break APB's atmosphere.

(I know its not ACTUAL zombies, but the word is there. Let me believe ;-; )giphy.gif

• Like 1

This actually sounds fun, unlike the previous Halloween events. Looking forward to finally getting my hands on that butcher skin too. Thanks team. 🙂

• Like 1

Variety!

Something old and still fun

And also a new event!

Also love the gun games teaser

realtalk? Id say Im beyond impressed.

GG WP

Edited by CookiePuss

So no hunting pumpkins or Halloween contacts? 😕 

• Like 1

Just now, Archon said:

doesnt look like it, but it does sound like all the rewards are coming back at once

40 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

a second chance to win some that you may have missed in previous years.

Nice super excited, glad to have a new Halloween mode.

Epidemic seems fun especially if there will be only one type of weapon. Can't wait.

Is anyone else getting error when trying to onto blog website?

Edited by Clandestine

holy cow, thanks little orbit, looks like I should set aside some time at the end of the month with friends to play

58 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

Epidemic seems fun especially if there will be only one type of weapon. Can't wait.

Is anyone else getting error when trying to onto blog website?

Yep. Get an error too. 

I'm glad you're recycling gun game as well TBH, there's so much content in APB that's not used. Is there any chance we could get a rotation of these game modes being used in districts? E.G. going between gun-game, butcher, drug mule, etc.? (Actually, Drug Mule kinda' sucked, but you get my point I think.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archon said:

Worst event ever.  Finding those pumpkins was a night mare that I subjected myself to on 4 characters, maybe 5? 😛

They should have added like 10 extra but keep the requirement at 150... ah well.  I don't ever want to see that event come back, though I don't need to do it again lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mynd said:

Worst event ever.  Finding those pumpkins was a night mare that I subjected myself to on 4 characters, maybe 5? 😛

They should have added like 10 extra but keep the requirement at 150... ah well.  I don't ever want to see that event come back, though I don't need to do it again lol.

its a stupid amount of time but if they had someone go through and make sure all the pumpkins are visible and shootable i think it would be fine, its nice for the actual open world to have more involvement other than a backdrop

not worth the resources needed for that tho lol

Edited by BXNNXD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mynd said:

What if I told you I have a friend who only logged into APB ever to get all the pumpkins every year?

I do agree with you that just adding like 5-10 extra pumpkins for each person would help a lot, which BTW, would not require them adding more pumpkin spawns because there are more than 150 pumpkin spawns per map.

• Like 1

Honestly I'm a bit butthurt by how they're handing out the Butcher skin willy nilly. There's many more exclusive skins in the game but those get to stay as such for some reason... 😛

Really looking forward to the new gamemode, finally something different to play!