MattScott

Adjusting Trade hold time for Legendaries

Hi everyone,

We’ve been tuning the Trade System and watching usage stats, and based on our metrics we are going to make some changes.

But before I start, I want to clarify the two opposing design goals we are trying to meet with this system:

1) We want players to be able to securely trade items and money without getting ripped off.

2) We also need to protect the items and money of players so they cant easily be removed off their account in the event of a hack or credit card fraud.

If handled badly, this system could lead to devastating results. So I admit we were very conservative with the rules on this initial week.

It’s important to understand that the underlying logic is somewhat complex. The system is building a ‘risk’ profile for each player, and it still may choose to lock trades on an account level or an item level for periods of time based on any number of criteria. Unfortunately, there wasn’t any data to ‘pre-heat’ the system with, so it needed some time to warm up and watch transactions.

Now to the good part:

For most of you, the initial ‘new account’ seven day waiting period is over as long as you don’t switch computers or configurations too drastically.

Going forward we are also reducing the lock time on Legendaries. You should be able to trade those much more freely. We will continue to watch the system and make adjustments.

I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

an interesting explanation, nice to see this addressed so quickly after the patch

2 minutes ago, MattScott said:

and it still may choose to lock trades on an account level or an item level for periods of time based on any number of criteria

can we get any specifics/examples of what some of these criteria are (besides logging in from a new location)?

5 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Going forward we are also reducing the lock time on Legendaries

you've said it will change but is there an exact time you're starting with in place of 3 days?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

you've said it will change but is there an exact time you're starting with in place of 3 days?

We are changing values on this week’s patch. I don’t feel comfortable giving out specifics. We needed to put in the artifical floor of 3 days to start. With that removed, some players will be able to trade Legendaries immediately.

3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

can we get any specifics/examples of what some of these criteria are (besides logging in from a new location)?

Unfortunately, I can’t say more, otherwise hackers will use that information to try and fool the system just like they do when they dethreat. Rest assured, we want the system to be largely invisible and non-intrusive.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, MattScott said:

We are changing values on this week’s patch. I don’t feel comfortable giving out specifics. We needed to put in the artificial floor of 3 days to start. With that removed, some players will be able to trade Legendaries immediately.

ah cool, so its kind of variable

2 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Unfortunately, I can’t say more, otherwise hackers will use that information to try and fool the system just like they do when they dethreat. Rest assured, we want the system to be largely invisible and non-intrusive.

kind of figured tbh, thought id ask anyway lol

42 minutes ago, MattScott said:
And...why would hackers want to dethreat?

43 minutes ago, MattScott said:
We are changing values on this week’s patch. I don’t feel comfortable giving out specifics. We needed to put in the artifical floor of 3 days to start. With that removed, some players will be able to trade Legendaries immediately.
Will the Showstopper 'Thunder' not being tradable (using the actual trade system) be fixed soon?

2 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:
And...why would hackers want to dethreat?
he was comparing dethreaters knowing how the threat system works and exploiting it to scammers knowing how the trade system works and exploiting it, i guess

kind of confused on the terminology myself

23 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
he was comparing dethreaters knowing how the threat system works and exploiting it to scammers knowing how the trade system works and exploiting it, i guess

kind of confused on the terminology myself
damn, i think i shd hang more around the forums. Can I? Edited by Defibrillator

Wait, why can't I send weapon from a character to another via mailbox anymore? (Same account ofc).

I did it like 3 days ago, now it's not possible anymore 😞

28 minutes ago, DouglasFalcon said:

Wait, why can't I send weapon from a character to another via mailbox anymore? (Same account ofc).

I just sent a legendary to a different character without issue. What error are you getting?

7 hours ago, MattScott said:

-snip-

Please consider to make rare daily Nanos and STAC 10 mailable between characters on your own account, some players own multiple STAC 10's and duplicate Nano variants on a same character. Edited by xHenryman90x
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

-snip-

Just a suggestion but what about making Joker tickets tradeable? 
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevkof said:
8 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

I just sent a legendary to a different character without issue. What error are you getting?
Nvm, eventually I sorted out. If you just traded, you can't even switch weapon between characters. Kinda frustrating tbh.

@MattScott How about a system which automatically locks ALL items upon log in, if the account is logged in by a different IP address than the usual?

Greetings, ParanormalNeko

There should never be a cooldown on sending Legendaries around on your own account.  Honestly, I wish they'd let you do this with money too.  Then I wouldn't even care about the trading system.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:14 AM, DouglasFalcon said:

oh no they broke this? 😢

10 hours ago, mynd said:

There should never be a cooldown on sending Legendaries around on your own account.  Honestly, I wish they'd let you do this with money too.  Then I wouldn't even care about the trading system.

Same bro. I should be allowed to move money freely within my account's characters :c

On 9/25/2018 at 11:33 PM, BaDante said:
@MattScott How about a system which automatically locks ALL items upon log in, if the account is logged in by a different IP address than the usual?

Greetings, ParanormalNeko
definitely not ip but hwid would seem okay. i guess they'd address this with 2fa once this is added.
(or confirmation mails as other games do which is very much more unsafe though)

When the trade system and the showstopper will come to Xbox I’m very curious and excited about it ?

System seems broken. It said I had 31 hours left until the lock removes, Logged in later today and now it says "7 days" ??

23 minutes ago, Rosabella said:

When the trade system and the showstopper will come to Xbox I’m very curious and excited about it ?

console patches depend on sony/microsoft approval afaik 
  • Like 2