SuperConker

Are VPN's allowed?

Had a discussion with another player about VPN's today (he for some reason wanted to make it look like he lived in Dallas),
and i told him there's no reason to do this, as it will make the latency higher, and would also most likely make the game laggy too due to fluctuating latency.
(And this, for the most part is true with VPN's and gaming)

But this got me thinking, are VPN's even allowed in the first place? (I'm thinking about BattleEye here),
is BattleEye ok with people changing their IP address and locations while playing APB, or would this result in a ban?

afaik some of the more popular VPNs were having trouble with batteleye, dunno if thats still the case

What kind of trouble were they having, was it preventing the game from starting, or did it ban people? Having trouble could mean several things lol

21 minutes ago, SuperConker said:

What kind of trouble were they having, was it preventing the game from starting, or did it ban people? Having trouble could mean several things lol

did a quick search and it looks like i was just remembering the flood of "are VPNs ok with battleye" threads like this one lol
  • Like 1

A vpn i ran in 2015 was giving me an error whenever i tried to login to apb. Don't remember much of the details about which vpn it was. But i do rememeber getting the login error a bunch until i turned it off. That was also 3 years ago, so all of this could be irrelevant.  

VPNs should be okay, they're just a virtual network.

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

why wouldn't they be

Reason I wondered is because Steam (Valve) may ban/disable Steam accounts if you use a VPN to mask your identity
(For example changing your country from one country to another with a VPN).

I understand APB/Battleye ain't excactly Valve, but at the same time i wouldn't really know if Battleye is ok with VPN's,
so that's why I made this thread.

I know a friend who's been playing apb with a vpn for about 2 years or so, nothing has ever happened to him so far.

Thank you so much for that answer.

I guess it's safe to say that APB is alright with VPN's then (unless something changed just recently).