Here's a small preview of what we might see on live by the end of the year. 

Any feedback is always appreciated!

Edited by thelinux
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As I understood the Unreal 3.5 Update don't change the optic of the game... It's just some step which is needed for Unreal Engine 4. But nice video, music is good too!

On 9/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, iTzBlackout said:

As I understood the Unreal 3.5 Update don't change the optic of the game... It's just some step which is needed for Unreal Engine 4. But nice video, music is good too!

There will be some things that change, like it looking the way the xbox one and ps4 versions do. But yea, it is just some step that is needed for unreal engine 4

Nice video!  The nighttime visuals are definitely a step up from the shit we have now with our dark blue fog n junk, but I still think it could be better.  It's just missing something.  Ya know, that one effect I always rant about.  I also like the slight green tint (And how it's actually the lights, not just an ugly overlay like current daytime)  It gives it a kind of Fight Club-ish feel.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

I... ugh... It just looks kinda wrong to me... Like I know that this is prolly how it is gonna end up looking but still... I don't really like it...

It makes APB look like it's more alive in terms of what's going on in the city, environment etc. but we all know that because of how AI works in APB it will just end up looking awkward.

15 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Nice video!  The nighttime visuals are definitely a step up from the shit we have now with our dark blue fog n junk, but I still think it could be better.  It's just missing something.  Ya know, that one effect I always rant about.  I also like the slight green tint (And how it's actually the lights, not just an ugly overlay like current daytime)  It gives it a kind of Fight Club-ish feel.

Thanks! Absolutely, I personally think the nighttime visuals may be one of the best things about it. The new lighting generally enhances the atmosphere a lot in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Szambi said:

I... ugh... It just looks kinda wrong to me... Like I know that this is prolly how it is gonna end up looking but still... I don't really like it...

It makes APB look like it's more alive in terms of what's going on in the city, environment etc. but we all know that because of how AI works in APB it will just end up looking awkward.

The thing is that it's just not what our eyes are expecting considering where we are currently at, with current games starting to look better than reality and with gorgeous UE 4 demo videos that were released 3 years ago. But all that just wouldn't ever have a place in the game imo.

I feel APB needs its own kind of traits and its comic-ish look, that's why I like the way it's going to come out. Also who knows for how long it's going to stay at 3.5 and look exactly like this.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 8:32 PM, iTzBlackout said:

On 10/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, InspiriaHelix said:

There will be some things that change, like it looking the way the xbox one and ps4 versions do. But yea, it is just some step that is needed for unreal engine 4

Just to be clear.. Literally.. NOT. Its just for us, and for the devs to further polish the game, while APB in UE4 is being in progress, bcs it will take a long time untill its released. UE4 uses different script language than UE3 has so programming APB in ue4 ss basically building from scratch with only use of migrated assets.

Anyway, I also think that APB should go its own way other than trying to achieve realistic graphics. Not only it will be HW requirements heavy, it also looks stupid and pathetic.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 1:32 PM, iTzBlackout said:

As I understood the Unreal 3.5 Update don't change the optic of the game

I wonder however if lighting, shadows, antialiasing, etc will be improved. That's all I want, consoles can keep their ""improved"" graphics! Ha

Edit: after this update can we have rain!!!? I want rain, I need rain! ;O

Edited by Archon

18 minutes ago, Archon said:

i hope they'll include an off/on option as well if they do add it because rain in games is known to have an effect on fps

1 hour ago, Archon said:

I wonder however if lighting, shadows, antialiasing, etc will be improved. 

I did feel substantial enhancements in regards to this, you should be able to judge by yourself from the video (try fullscreen 1080p). 🙂

1 hour ago, Archon said:

If anyhing, that will probably be added through dynamic weather which I don't think the game is anywhere close to. Even if rain alone could be implemented, I doubt any of it would look or feel decent at this point (wet streets/objects/items, visibility through rain, raining effect itself, ...).

Some of you are like "ahh man make it cartoonish not realistic" 

'scuse me, what? The game is not cartoonish at all. 

The only things the game needs graphics-wise right now are better textures (some still look blocky, especially symbols,  even though i'm maxed out) and a better atmosphere overall. Some good ambient occlusion and an actual day-night cycle. 

Also, different atmospheric phenomenon like fog, rain would be cool

Edited by _chain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, _chain said:

Some of you are like "ahh man make it cartoonish not realistic" 

'scuse me, what? The game is not cartoonish at all. 

The only things the game needs graphics-wise right now are better textures (some still look blocky, especially symbols,  even though i'm maxed out) and a better atmosphere overall. Some good ambient occlusion and an actual day-night cycle. 

Also, different atmospheric phenomenon like fog, rain would be cool

100% agree.  i would also like to have better lighting and weather like rain and lightning & maybe snow for like a week around Christmas time. 

As far as rain goes, if they would just go for a really light rain then I don't think much else would really need to be done other than making the lighting a little darker, some thin fog, occasional flash of lightning, and sound effects like some wind and a little bit of thunder in the distance.  If it's just a light rain then puddle decals or wet roads wouldn't really be needed.  

The game used to have (I think random) overcast days but G1 removed that for performance reasons if I remember correctly.  Again though, that'd probably be something that would have been RTW's custom code, so it's not surprising if it caused performance issues since just their fog itself causes performance problems as is.  If LO were to use a new weather system we probably wouldn't have any negative side effects from rain.  That's just a guess though.  I've never played a game where rain caused my performance to drop at all.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

As far as rain goes, if they would just go for a really light rain then I don't think much else would really need to be done other than making the lighting a little darker, some thin fog, occasional flash of lightning, and sound effects like some wind and a little bit of thunder in the distance.  If it's just a light rain then puddle decals or wet roads wouldn't really be needed.  

The game used to have (I think random) overcast days but G1 removed that for performance reasons if I remember correctly.  Again though, that'd probably be something that would have been RTW's custom code, so it's not surprising if it caused performance issues since just their fog itself causes performance problems as is.  If LO were to use a new weather system we probably wouldn't have any negative side effects from rain.  That's just a guess though.  I've never played a game where rain caused my performance to drop at all.

lightning would need a darker skies look and harder fain than that

adds to the creepiness when you come around a corner  then lightning flashes to see your opp who probably freaking out too

would be also great for Halloween

8 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

lightning would need a darker skies look and harder fain than that

adds to the creepiness when you come around a corner  then lightning flashes to see your opp who probably freaking out too

would be also great for Halloween

It being dark enough for that to happen would be going way too far.  That would be getting to the point of storms impairing vision.  I just want a nice little variance in weather once in a while to make the world seem more alive.  Having dug through APB's package files there are a lot of cloudy skybox textures that don't see any use anymore since overcast was removed.  There's even a rainbow and a lightning sprite.  I don't think that the intent of adding rain to APB would be creepyness since, well... APB isn't a horror game.  Rain at night actually has some potential to look really pretty with all of the city lights, especially if that light pollution effect I always complain about being removed comes back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

It being dark enough for that to happen would be going way too far.  That would be getting to the point of storms impairing vision.  I just want a nice little variance in weather once in a while to make the world seem more alive.  Having dug through APB's package files there are a lot of cloudy skybox textures that don't see any use anymore since overcast was removed.  There's even a rainbow and a lightning sprite.  I don't think that the intent of adding rain to APB would be creepyness since, well... APB isn't a horror game.  Rain at night actually has some potential to look really pretty with all of the city lights, especially if that light pollution effect I always complain about being removed comes back.

chaos is fun now and then. cmon live it up a little lol

I hope they manage to upgrade it to UE4 soon. They could utilize much more features and make this game far better than it is.

10 hours ago, Borkboozler said:

I hope they manage to upgrade it to UE4 soon. They could utilize much more features and make this game far better than it is.

Realistically we're probably going to be on 3.5 for quite a while once they get the first upgrade in.  Upgrading to UE4 requires them to pretty much rewrite the entire game's code.  It's a totally separate team based in Australia handling the UE4 upgrade though, so whatever the main team is doing here won't slow the UE4 upgrade at all.  Hopefully these guys know what they're doing better than RTW did.

12 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Realistically we're probably going to be on 3.5 for quite a while once they get the first upgrade in.  Upgrading to UE4 requires them to pretty much rewrite the entire game's code.  It's a totally separate team based in Australia handling the UE4 upgrade though, so whatever the main team is doing here won't slow the UE4 upgrade at all.  Hopefully these guys know what they're doing better than RTW did.

yep, they are simply finishing up the ue3.5 upgrade while ue4 upgrade was, afaik, their own idea, so they started from scratch there... it'll take a year or two, or three

Wow! These Videos are getting crazier every week!
How do you guys make these thing anyways?!

19 hours ago, PortalCow said:

Wow! These Videos are getting crazier every week!
How do you guys make these thing anyways?!

Not sure if anything about this video can be called crazy, looking at my usual videos it's probably the one with the least action. 😄

There's this neat tool which Tobii created, but most of the other uploaders refused to credit him at all so I'm not sure if it's still available.

i don't see no change... pointless but hey least its something i guess?

5 hours ago, Ashn said:

i don't see no change... pointless but hey least its something i guess?

It's pointless because there will be no engine upgrade or are server upgrade but I can guarantee one thing there will be a new Jokerbox and ARMAS hot fixes.

• Like 1

Flashbacks to the c****r that is called console. I'm going to miss the current looks of APB:R on PC 😞