Nitronik

Heavy Barrel should reduce shotgun spread

Heavy Barrel has no effect on shotguns
As a test it would be interesting to see Heavy Barrel get the added benefit of reducing shotgun spread, now that Improved Rifling murders TTK

-10 / 20 / 30% Accuracy loss
-5 / 10 / 15% Shotgun pellet spread  ( a far cry from the DOW's 35% )
-5 / 10 / 15% weapon damage

It'd prioritize aiming properly since you need to make up the damage loss by hitting more pellets, and their CQC effectiveness will also be reduced, as tighter spread = need better aim = less likely to hit partial shots unless your aim is on point

The effectiveness at range would still be kept in line by the damage reduction, seeing as shotguns don't have great drop-off ranges

Edited by Nitronik
formatting
  • Like 6

But on a serious note from me, I can see one problem with this and it's the nfas-12. If heavy barrel reduced spread on shotguns as you wish it to, putting it on the nfas-12 would essentially make it a shredder 2.0 (and we all know how that turns out).
Now obviously this depends on how much the spread is reduced, and one could argue just make it so it doesn't make the nfas a shredder 2.0, but at that point, you're balancing the mod around one gun and you saw how the community had mixed feelings about the IR changes
All in all, it wouldn't be an easy mod to tackle
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go meme elsewhere

Ah but the nfas has terrible range compared to the shredder kek so 50/50

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2

this would essentially allow shotguns to have a longer range while circumventing the downsides of improved rifling, not sure i like the idea

As others have kinda' hinted at, I'm not sure there's a balance point where this would be a sidegrade to shotguns instead of an upgrade or a downgrade, especially not across the board.

13 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

this would essentially allow shotguns to have a longer range while circumventing the downsides of improved rifling, not sure i like the idea

The thing worth considering is the piss poor damage they end up doing - the new drop off ranges are really short and HB gets rid of most of their overkill

It's why I'd like to see this effect tested on OTW

-10 / 20 / 30% Accuracy loss
-5 / 10 / 15% RaySpread reduction  (a far cry from the DOW's 35%)
-5 / 10 / 15% weapon damage

16 hours ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

I can see one problem with this and it's the nfas-12. If heavy barrel reduced spread on shotguns as you wish it to, putting it on the nfas-12 would essentially make it a shredder 2.0 (and we all know how that turns out).

NFAS have 10-20m drop-off range.

13 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

this would essentially allow shotguns to have a longer range while circumventing the downsides of improved rifling

It retains its short drop-off ranged, and gets a damage nerf, while a smaller spread also makes it less forgiving up close. I feel the drawbacks are appropriate.

16 hours ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

LO plz test

I second this. I'd like every mod to be viable, or atleast have an effect on all weapons.

People are just a bit sensitive about shotguns right now.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dopefish said:
NFAS have 10-20m drop-off range.
   a smaller spread also makes it less forgiving up close.

☝️☝️☝️☝️
I'm actually pretty dumb for completely glossing over this, that's also a really important point to consider

I guarantee had I posted this at a different time it wouldn't have gotten as much hate 😂
4 hours ago, Dopefish said:

People are just a bit sensitive about shotguns right now.
Edited by Nitronik

Seems worth trying, HB currently has absolutely no effect on shotguns other than reducing damage.  Plus with the new dropoff changes it's not like they would gain ungodly range.

+1

• Like 1

NFAS is limited to 10M. It's 4 shots to kill with HB3, and deals less damage than the shreader without mods.

The JG will still be trash because it will have more spread than the CSG, and it's bullet dropoff is still lower at 7M. The bullet dropoff on shotguns should be raised to 20M. They're useless as is. I know someone will say corner corner pop, I can do that more reliably with an SMG, AR, heck even an OBIR.

Edited by MrsHappyPenguin
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

NFAS is limited to 10M. It's 4 shots to kill with HB3, and deals less damage than the shreader without mods.

The JG will still be trash because it will have more spread than the CSG, and it's bullet dropoff is still lower at 7M. The bullet dropoff on shotguns should be raised to 20M. They're useless as is. I know someone will say corner corner pop, I can do that more reliably with an SMG, AR, heck even an OBIR.

I personally don't see a point to heavy barrel reducing spread, but I really think the range on shotguns needs to be brought back up.

IDK how LO thought it was a buff to shotguns to destroy their range, especially the CSG.

4 hours ago, Kewlin said:

I personally don't see a point to heavy barrel reducing spread, but I really think the range on shotguns needs to be brought back up.

IDK how LO thought it was a buff to shotguns to destroy their range, especially the CSG.

They originally made them a bit OP, but they only needed a slight damage nerf after the first patch.

It's probably the 100M limit that makes it hard to balance these weapons. If you give shotguns too much range then SMGs need a buff, then ARs, then rifles, then snipers become useless or broken OP.

6 hours ago, Kewlin said:

Because the player base spent years with shot guns only being viable in 5m corner camping unless your a god at on center aim and cried that they actually had to worry about shot guns flanking them. but now they almost feel worse then when G1 gutted them and made me quit the first time. yet  some how guns like the Euyrel fly under the radar as "balanced" even though it has extreme ttk massive magazine high rof and minimal movement reduction, or the kraken witch is essentially a stronger ntech with less bloom and more ammo 

6 hours ago, kurbstomp88 said:

Because the player base spent years with shot guns only being viable in 5m corner camping unless your a god at on center aim and cried that they actually had to worry about shot guns flanking them. but now they almost feel worse then when G1 gutted them and made me quit the first time. yet  some how guns like the Euyrel fly under the radar as "balanced" even though it has extreme ttk massive magazine high rof and minimal movement reduction, or the kraken witch is essentially a stronger ntech with less bloom and more ammo 

Is that a reaction to my first or second sentence?

On 10/13/2018 at 2:04 AM, MrsHappyPenguin said:

JG has a lot of damage overkill to work with, the CSG would be able to harass further out with more consistency due to higher no of pellets

You could very well have the ARMAS CSG presets use HB instead of IR with this tweak

Edited by Nitronik

Heavy barrel really needs to be redone to begin with. The modifcation is all but useless. When something is only considered useful in a few select edge cases it's not in a good state. And asking them to balance an entire weapon type around something that needs work as a whole seems.. pointless?

1 hour ago, Genobee said:

Heavy barrel really needs to be redone to begin with. The modifcation is all but useless. When something is only considered useful in a few select edge cases it's not in a good state. And asking them to balance an entire weapon type around something that needs work as a whole seems.. pointless?

Just because something's rarely used doesn't mean it needs to be redone, lol.

this suggestion isn't bad but I always felt like Heavy Barrel should have just been the counterpart to Horiz. Muzzle Break or something recoil-related rather than bloom

Edited by SLICKIEM

4 hours ago, SLICKIEM said:

this suggestion isn't bad but I always felt like Heavy Barrel should have just been the counterpart to Horiz. Muzzle Break or something recoil-related rather than bloom

Why not just use the Vertical Muzzle Break that's already in the files, lol.

5 hours ago, Kewlin said:

Why not just use the Vertical Muzzle Break that's already in the files, lol.

you say that as if I was supposed to know it was there, lol.