Snubnose

Triggerbotting - Solution? Get rid of crosshair changing colours.

ever since battleye has been released, I haven't seen a single aimbot or wallhack being used. it's pretty much only triggerbotting right now (or macroing, which isn't as bad though), and there has been enough evidence of people using them (since some of them are just blatantly streaming with their cheats lol).

I'm pretty sure triggerbots that are not being injected just use the crosshair colour to work, so why not just de-activate the red crosshair for APB? it's useful in some scenarios but I'd be happy to give up on that feature just to get rid of most triggerbotting.

I could be wrong though about the red crosshair being used for triggerbotting, maybe some people are using injections and it doesn't have anything to do with the crosshair changing colour.

but if the solution for this problem is actually just a small change, why not do it with the next patch?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i’d be willing to try it at least, altho i’m not sure i like changing game mechanics around cheaters 

• Like 1

Most common ones just read the color and automatically trigger a mouse press, but I'm sure there's others who read memory values for the same effect.

But the game shouldn't be changed based on the possibility of cheats, and it would be better for fairfight to get tweaked to check for consistency instead.

Crosshair turning red is an important mechanic when aiming under cars, over covers, through smoke and similar things.

• Like 13

There will still be triggerbotters even if they do, do that... And in result the legit players will suffer coz there is no indicator that you're about to shoot someones hit box. They need to just look into patching out cheats more. But seems like they don't really care anymore then G1 even though they added Battle Eye.

It's funny that you guys don't want to remove the red crosshair for cheaters, yet people agree with having the Random Number Generator/RNG recoil (also known as "win by luck") for cheaters. Double standards.

Edited by YakuzaStyle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, YakuzaStyle said:

It's funny that you guys don't want to remove the red crosshair for cheaters, yet people agree with having the Random Number Generator/RNG recoil (also known as "win by luck") for cheaters. Double standards.

rng recoil isn’t for cheaters afaik, it was just a game design decision 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:
1 hour ago, YakuzaStyle said:

rng recoil isn’t for cheaters afaik, it was just a game design decision 
This. I far prefer the design decision behind random recoil rather than certain spray patterns. Though there are benefits to either.

Also most triggerbots use the text info that pops up on the HUD rather than the crosshair. Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

Or it color could be slightly randomized each time. A little bit different shade of red and triggerbot would already get rekt.

4 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

Or it color could be slightly randomized each time. A little bit different shade of red and triggerbot would already get rekt.

Not really? They can just change the color/colors to look for.
  • Thanks 1

Color changing is important,especially for newer players who are having a hard time distinguishing enemies and allies.I still us it will sniping since i have low graphics and sometimes nametags don't register.

• Thanks 1

^ this is a good point

Would also support the need for people to go midget female for an advantage so rather not

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:
This. I far prefer the design decision behind random recoil rather than certain spray patterns. Though there are benefits to either.

Also most triggerbots use the text info that pops up on the HUD rather than the crosshair.
No it uses the red color or is memory based. I think your thinking of overwatch, most aimbots and triggerbots in overwatch just scans for the health-bar icon.  

12 minutes ago, ForeverCrooked said:
2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Also most triggerbots use the text info that pops up on the HUD rather than the crosshair.
No it uses the red color or is memory based. I think your thinking of overwatch, most aimbots and triggerbots in overwatch just scans for the health-bar icon.  
Nup. Lots of APB nerds using the hud popup at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ignas / qsn said:

we can also get rid of an aimbot issue - remove weapons.

"Tada tssssss"

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:
Nup. Lots of APB nerds using the hud popup at the bottom.
Except that wouldn't be helpful for triggerbot since the hud popup doesn't always show-up. 

6 hours ago, Dopefish said:

Crosshair turning red is an important mechanic when aiming under cars, over covers, through smoke and similar things.

^this^

9 hours ago, Dopefish said:

Most common ones just read the color and automatically trigger a mouse press, but I'm sure there's others who read memory values for the same effect.

But the game shouldn't be changed based on the possibility of cheats, and it would be better for fairfight to get tweaked to check for consistency instead.

While I agree and also dont really care memory readers are probably a lot easier for battleye to catch.

Idk if I agree with relying on a red cross hair to confirm you're looking at something. If the only reason you're shooting at something is because your cross hair turns red are you aiming or fishing? They changed names popping up and crosshair turning red through smoke in R6Siege for that reason. While I get that smoke grenades in Siege arent necessarily the same as smoke particles from explosions in game using it as cover should be an option, but while red crosshairs are in the game it doesnt exist. 

While you could argue that getting rid of a feature just because it's used to cheat is silly the red crosshair being used to find an enemy through something where you cant physically see them is just as silly. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

i’d be willing to try it at least, altho i’m not sure i like changing game mechanics around cheaters 

Negotiating with terrorist is heresy, yes...  But doing away with the reticle changing color would allow players to use many forms of concealment to their advantage. (Car tires, low walls, bushes, etc...) 

50 minutes ago, TrinityFSB said:

Negotiating with terrorist is heresy, yes...  But doing away with the reticle changing color would allow players to use many forms of concealment to their advantage. (Car tires, low walls, bushes, etc...) 

This would actually be a plus in my book.  One of the biggest issues with a lot of areas in APB is the lack of cover.  Honestly, shouldn't be able to shoot under cars regardless imo; it's better from a gameplay perspective VS what's real.
  • Thanks 2

you don't need the red crosshair to shoot through smoke, you got the name tag, that's the real giveaway.

also, you can see feet underneath vehicles (only real exception is the lowest bodykit from the espacio)... if you don't see the feet, there are only 2 options: front or back tires. it's really not that hard.

and about people behind cover: almost all of the times when you shoot at someone hiding behind cover where nothing is visible but the hitbox with the red crosshair, you've spotted the person before he went there anyway, which means he can't move much from there since crouch speed is really slow, so why is a red crosshair needed this much... sure it helps but can you not just use your perception? hitmarkers and blood splatter are also good feedback.

IMO hitboxes should be shortened just a bit, there are too many low walls / objects that expose your hitbox just enough to get you killed, but that's something to discuss in another thread I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snubnose said:

IMO hitboxes should be shortened just a bit, there are too many low walls / objects that expose your hitbox just enough to get you killed, but that's something to discuss in another thread I guess.

another deliberate design choice
  • Like 2

In a game where you character can be basically half the height of their hitbox, you can't not have the crosshair change color, lol.

Honestly, if triggerbots are the best cheat people, then I don't really care that much; they're not really that bad. I'd rather have a feature that makes the game more fun for me than worry about a few triggerbotters.

5 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
6 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

another deliberate design choice
yea but that's not the point of my post above though.
I shouldn't have mentioned it. but my point is clear: the things the red crosshair are used for in game are minimally helping. through smoke: nametag. under vehicles: feet, or shoot wheels. behind cover: you know where he is + use hitmarkers + blood splatter.

I'm I'm still going to argue about the crouched hitbox now.
Even if it is intended like this, doesn't mean it's good. (remember, G1 buffed the OCA when people were crying about the PMG being OP, so decision making with RP was always a gamble, most time for the worst.) I still remember the post with the pictures of the hitboxes and how they changed it ages ago... IMO people should stay covered if they're crouched. it's also really confusing for new players... they crouch behind cover but get F'd anyway. I just don't like it being crouched behind cover but still getting hit. I know the hitbox increases vertically when moving while crouched since that change, but isn't that what you should be able to do behind cover? relocate a bit, to try and get to (somewhat) safety / recover? (no pun intended). there's other ways to counter someone behind cover, we don't need extended hitboxes for that. run around the cover, or charge right at him... he should be tagged anyway at that point... or throw a nade, get a teammate to do something (if you're teamed obviously, no teamplay with randoms LUL).

all I'm saying is: I don't want huge hitboxes, I want to use cover properly without worrying about my invisible huge aura getting blasted.