Frosi

Double Buffering?

So I was messing with a couple of things regarding my config and noticed a new ingame option under "Video > Advanced" called Double Buffering which increases and stabilizes fps heavily for me, I was experiencing a 20 to 30 fps increase while it also felt like stutters were far less heavy and frequent.

Also to note is that I haven't seen any official word on this being added to the game.

Edited by Frosi

This is from when it was added to OTW, but it wasn't mentioned in patch notes as far as I remember.

doesn't this cause huge imput delay?
I dunno but when I played some CSGO ages ago, I had double / tripple buffering turned on and it had a huge impact on imput lag... turning it off was the only right thing to do.

38 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

doesn't this cause huge imput delay?
I dunno but when I played some CSGO ages ago, I had double / tripple buffering turned on and it had a huge impact on imput lag... turning it off was the only right thing to do.

When I was testing it out ingame I had no extra input delay from what I could tell

On a side note I wanna personally appreciate them for adding this. Edited by Lucidy

40 minutes ago, Lucidy said:
When I was testing it out ingame I had no extra input delay from what I could tell

On a side note I wanna personally appreciate them for adding this.
oh I noticed it's turned on by default, so I was playing with it all the time in the past few days... also tested it now... but I don't see any difference in performance or input, so whatever.

@Androvald could we get an exact explanation on this added option? I'd be really interested to hear if it causes input lag such as triple buffering or v-sync.

11 minutes ago, Frosi said:
@Androvald could we get an exact explanation on this added option? I'd be really interested to hear if it causes input lag such as triple buffering or v-sync.
lmgtfy
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/triple-buffering-adds-or-reduces-input-lag.2380763/

there has been arguments about this for years with no clear answer. (about both triple and double buffering)
however, the second answer in this thread gives a quite sound response.

15 minutes ago, neophobia said:
lmgtfy
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/triple-buffering-adds-or-reduces-input-lag.2380763/

there has been arguments about this for years with no clear answer. (about both triple and double buffering)
however, the second answer in this thread gives a quite sound response.
I did some research myself and read through a few articles such as those that have been linked in your link and the one that has been posted further above in this thread, I'd still like to hear a Developers PoV on this setting as Input lag can differ from game to game. (With V-Sync atleast)

I'm not sure about the whole input lag, you'd think logically it would add some because of the nature of what exactly the game is doing, but from my client I don't feel any sort of extra input lag from Vanilla with an fps boost - therefore I'm just gonna use it now. (Especially considering I use a 144hz monitor when I was getting yikes fps before)

20 hours ago, Frosi said:
Basically, it allows the game to continue working while your graphics card is working on rendering and displaying the image. It should be on by default, and will increase your frame-rate, but the input processing might feel less precise / predictable to those who are sensitive to that kind of thing.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

13 hours ago, Androvald said:
On 9/11/2018 at 7:21 AM, Frosi said:
Basically, it allows the game to continue working while your graphics card is working on rendering and displaying the image. It should be on by default, and will increase your frame-rate, but the input processing might feel less precise / predictable to those who are sensitive to that kind of thing.
Can we get a precise number on how much input lag this option adds? Because if its anything above 15ms, it's definitely something you should mention since its detectable, especially on high refresh rate monitors.
And how much of a fps increase are people supposed to see from this option?
EDIT: Is Double Buffering OneFrameThreadLag basically? Cause that's always better on off. Edited by 悲しい春

21 minutes ago, 悲しい春 said:
Can we get a precise number on how much input lag this option adds? Because if its anything above 15ms, it's definitely something you should mention since its detectable, especially on high refresh rate monitors.
And how much of a fps increase are people supposed to see from this option?
On 144hz, I was able to notice a difference. Its probably close to 15ms, if not above. 
  • Like 1