BrutalCopp

Game works worse than 5 months ago

I would like to hear from others, if anyone noticed dramatic performance differences in past 5 or 6 months. I will post 2 videos, a montage from 5 months ago, and a test video from a year ago. I have been playing on the same PC since then. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock @3.2GHz)
GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X OC (Stock)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB 3200MHz (Running stock at 2133MHz)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
SSD: NO SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS

Videos:
Test from last year
Settings were on on max with some changes in advanced tab, running on 1920x1080. As you can see game was running between 85 and 100 FPS all the time, while lowest FPS was around 75. I think this is very good for those settings and my PC. Game was smooth, and I had no issue with fast moves and reactions.

Montage video from 5 months ago
Same settings as before. Maybe slightly worse performance, but only if you look at the FPS. It was not noticeable during gameplay, I was still able to perform fast moves with shotgun etc.

Now, after getting back to this game around a week ago, and after playing for a few days, I have noticed that frames are dropping more frequently, going even lower than 60 and sometimes below 50. Sometimes I'm driving around, and in some areas such as park in the middle of Financial district, game is running below 50 fps. I don't know WTF is happening. I have tried using advanced launcher again after a long time of not using it. Set resolution to 1600x900 and everything on low, except player character and car. Even after all this, game is not working anything close to how it worked a year ago with all settings on max. 

I don't know what are you doing Little Orbit, but it's not good.

• Like 3

Try on\off 'Double Buffering' in game graphic settings.

Well your PC isn't so great tbh.
My 750Ti was starting to struggle running APB so I upgraded, but boy your GPU is old.

• Like 3

Bruh
  • Like 1

running a ryzen system with the lowest ddr4 speed possible + having a pretty outdated gpu = apb's fault. OC your ram at the very least and I guarantee you'll see a huge difference. Also, GTX 1080s have been under 300$ twice this week in the US. 

5 hours ago, BrutalCopp said:

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock @3.2GHz)

It actually hurts to read that, having some of the best RAM for Ryzen (if not THE best) and running it at such a low speed. The "infinity fabric" that connects the cores with each other and the cache runs as fast (or slow) as the RAM, so 2133Mhz is going to cause a huge bottleneck for the Ryzen. Take the time to overclock that RAM, get it to 3200Mhz stable (ideally CL14 or lower, but a Trident Z should do it easily), and once you're done with that try to reach 3.8Ghz+ with the CPU. Yes, it's possible with the stock cooler. 

Also, it makes no sense that you bought a high end RAM kit (to then run it at low speed) and didn't get an SSD. Even a small 120/250GB unit will do wonders, both for the OS and smaller games such as APB. Though this should have less of an impact on the game than the above CPU and RAM speeds. 

If you don't know where to start with OCing the RAM, I suggest you look here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Enable XMP in your bios. This will set the RAM to it's rated speed. It's stupid that most motherboards don't do this by default but it's the way it is.

• Like 1

Ignoring your specs others have talked about that enough.
Has the game lagged in the past : yes from poor management from G1 and DDoS attacks on them.
Is the game laggier than before : Depends on if you mean that Little Orbit had major DDoS attacks , or that they are working on mitigation solutions , or how hardware failed that G1 left behind , or how there are fires that were reported on the news to be interfering with DNS servers here in the  U.S.A o nthe west coast , or the storms east to west coast that didn't help either.
And I am sure others can point out other reasons as well.

I've been here for years.... I've seen worse than it currently is. Little Orbit is not to blame.
It only appears worse from more DDoS attacks happening from haters who have banana envy *shrugs*
Edit : this is not to say Little Orbit did not make mistakes , we are all human , but meant to say that we all know it's a bigger picture than that.

Edited by Fortune Runner
  • Like 1

I have started MSI Afterburner and noticed that my CPU clock speed was jumping from 1.55 to 3.4 GHz every second. I fixed it by changing power plan from balanced to high performance. I currently have no money to upgrade gpu, and I was too lazy to OC my pc when I bought it😄
I haven't had any luck with D.O.C.P mode for RAM and I was just like fck it i have no time for OC, but I guess I'll give it a try very soon.

ive had no noticeable client side performance changes, for better or worse

14 hours ago, BrutalCopp said:

I haven't had any luck with D.O.C.P mode for RAM and I was just like fck it i have no time for OC, but I guess I'll give it a try very soon.

I think early BIOSes had massive issues with memory stability on Ryzen, so upgrading the BIOS to the latest version should help as well. 

Also, is your Trident Z kit 3200 CL16 or 3200 CL14? The memory chips in those are usually made by different manufacturers, with the CL14 (Samsung) being the "ideal" one for Ryzen.  The only way to really be sure is to run Thaiphoon Burner and click "Read", then "Report", and see whether it's Samsung or Hynix. 

ITT: People saying a mid- to high-end GPU released in 2013 should not be able to handle a game released in 2010. What?

7 hours ago, Lyfeld said:

I think early BIOSes had massive issues with memory stability on Ryzen, so upgrading the BIOS to the latest version should help as well. 

Also, is your Trident Z kit 3200 CL16 or 3200 CL14? The memory chips in those are usually made by different manufacturers, with the CL14 (Samsung) being the "ideal" one for Ryzen.  The only way to really be sure is to run Thaiphoon Burner and click "Read", then "Report", and see whether it's Samsung or Hynix. 
its Hynix 

7 hours ago, Zlavik said:

ITT: People saying a mid- to high-end GPU released in 2013 should not be able to handle a game released in 2010. What?

You're forgetting  that the internet has new protocols as well as APB itself had coding changes as well.

The original release is not the same as today's work because of it.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:23 PM, BrutalCopp said:

Comrade, this topic is no longer about APB. That's some good, expensive RAM you've got there and, boy, does Ryzen love RAM like that. Just get those running @ at least 3200mhz and you'll notice significant fps increase in all games, among other things. 
giphy.gif
  • Like 1

The game itself feels little to no different than it did a long while ago and if anything the servers feel more stable than when I used to play.(Aside from my personal disconnection issue that only affects me and no one else FOR SOME REASON) Of course, they had to drop population numbers per server, but if it keeps the game servers working, I'm fine with it.

14 hours ago, Zlavik said:

APB ran like crap on 2010 GPUs due to the massive amount of particles used, then Reloaded disabled many config options to remove them.

17 hours ago, Lyfeld said:
There's a Reddit post that covers very similar RAM to yours then, anything above 3000 on Hynix should be considered a success for 1st gen Ryzen. 3200 is probably an utopia for your setup.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6pksas/ryzen_ddr4_3200_c16_hynix_3066_success/

Thanks for all man, I really appreciate your help. I'll give it a try very soon 🙂

On 9/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, BXNNXD said:

ive had no noticeable client side performance changes, for better or worse

The game actually decreased in performance over the past 6 years.

I used to run this with ~30fps on an I3 laptop, now it hits 0-10 fps and not above. I'm quite sure that its possible it took another performance hit but i havnt noticed it much

5 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:
The game actually decreased in performance over the past 6 years.

I used to run this with ~30fps on an I3 laptop, now it hits 0-10 fps and not above. I'm quite sure that its possible it took another performance hit but i havnt noticed it much
you're unquestionably right that game performance has decreased pretty severely over the years, ever since the first valentines day patch iirc

crushing the game client down to 6gb def didnt help either

but op specifically said the last 5 months 

44 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
you're unquestionably right that game performance has decreased pretty severely over the years, ever since the first valentines day patch iirc

Some sounds still haven't been properly fixed since that patch. The master volume still doesn't control everything.

13 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

The only change i noticed was running better after I fixed my CPU heat paste and my memory leak that i had for like 2 years, so i honestly can't comment whether he is right or wrong. It may have hit for some computers with certain specs, other computers may not notice anything so its hard to say imo. But the only updates we had in the like, last 5 months were from LO, so if so it would have to be from the extra coding.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:58 PM, Pinpuce said:

Well your PC isn't so great tbh.
My 750Ti was starting to struggle running APB so I upgraded, but boy your GPU is old.

Apb isn't even GPU depended. It's all CPU. I can use a gtx 560 ti and a i7 6700k and get 120-144 fps. 

EDIT:

This game loves high IPC. So how higher your clock speed on your cpu how better performance you get and this game only uses 1 core.  Edited by Topre

2 hours ago, Topre said:
Apb isn't even GPU depended. It's all CPU. I can use a gtx 560 ti and a i7 6700k and get 120-144 fps. 

EDIT:

This game loves high IPC. So how higher your clock speed on your cpu how better performance you get and this game only uses 1 core. 
thats only if ur playing on the lowest settings.

@BrutalCopp

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 should be running at Boost speed 3.60GHz.  though not sure if AMD ryzen can OC?

4.0 ghz + safe side. 
  Edited by Deadliest