iMiss

Small concerns regarding no client modification with Battle eye

With the introduction of Battle eye potentially comes a hands-off change for the experienced playerbase, some being more affected than others. So i'd just like to make this post of several changes some people have made for themselves to make the game a little more comfortable that may no longer be doable, and the Little Orbit staff can pick at appropriately.

The Advanced launcher is a known convenient tool that allows users to make more in depth changes to the game than usual, more lighting options to independently turn on or off, a deeper scale of texture level going down to beyond potato and up to gorgeous, there's only really 2 things in it that i don't like not being able to change myself that i'd like to discuss further. Particle Space Area, and removing loading screens, aka the 'No In Game Movies' tickbox. It simply feels like the game loads much faster without having to bring up those cutscenes. Changing Particle Space area is the big one, when i had a less powerful machine and i found the game, it deeply annoyed me when my already low frames dropped noticeably when seeing grenades, and running into a shotgun dropped my framerate so deeply it almost guarenteed i died to the next shot. Unlike other people i don't push it down as far as possible, however ive lowered it enough to the point i can still see grenades, grenade trails and smoke, bloodsplatter, vehicle fire, and not have issues with it affecting performance. As i upgraded through the years it's just stayed the same, the bare minimum to have the information i want, and keep the customization and performance i can.

Some people have custom configs that take a much deeper look at the game files than the Advanced launcher does, mostly only to change some texts or colors that may be boring, hindering, or even to add a potential advantage. The most noticeable if you go to some streams may be changes to the killfeed or the mission text; how it's organized, colors or adding what the last stage of the mission is to the title. I'm aware there's already talk about making the game colorblind friendly, with that in mind i'd like to make a note of the white on yellow people see with the default colors and how annoying it is, i just want that to change. i'd suggest being able to just change the RGB/hex color values for colored text in a section of the settings, not only making the game colorblind friendly to all types of colorblindness, but simultaneously letting people set colors that are comfortable for them to read or read on. As far as people who add what the last stage of the mission is to the title text, i'd like to suggest that as a default feature because i know there'll be players who will have a text file with that information on another monitor or something similar, and i'd like for that valuable information to be available to everyone by default, not just people who really want it.

I'm aware there's already discussion about this next suggestion but i'll state it again here since it's appropriate. Please make it a legitimate thing to turn down, or off, all game music or themes. I play with my own music going almost all the time and its one of my peeves when i run past a car blaring some song i have already heard a hundred times in my thousands of hours, drowning out my own music. The same goes for Themes, i couldn't stand hearing something designed to grief my ears when it wouldn't be worth the effort of complaining about all the players who have them to support, and it was almost as annoying as the ingame music to hear someones theme when i'm trying to listen to my own music. I ended up removing the instrument files and i'm glad i made the sacrifice of not being able to hear my own to negate the nuisance of hearing others. 

On the topic of removing sound files for personal convenience, i hope and pray little orbit changes some of the emitter files to be less obnoxious or gives some option to change the volume level of those seperate to other game sounds. I want to hear guns shoot, grenades tick, osmaws spool up and all these useful tidbits but i DO NOT want to hear the boiler room of Asylum hammer away, ruining the vibe i'm trying to grasp from my music as i protect the objective in there. It's been extremely blissful without many of the emitter sounds i can't do anything to other than remove them entirely. 

These are just a few small quality of life improvements i noticed that have gained popularity that are not difficult fixes, and aren't very difficult to fix properly. Things like the custom text color selector, a proper variety of volume scales for Music, Themes, Emitters and other sounds can bring a much needed customizable experience to how the game plays and feels without much difficulty

Edited by iMiss
  • Like 1

EDIT: Thank you for making it readable.

Edited by -Rachel-

19 minutes ago, iMiss said:

there's only really 2 things in it that i don't like not being able to change myself that i'd like to discuss further. Particle Space Area, and removing loading screens, aka the 'No In Game Movies' tickbox. It simply feels like the game loads much faster without having to bring up those cutscenes. 

Delete the folder named "movies" in the apb directory. No cinematic stuff.

Search in apb compat.ini text file and related notepad files. I saw an option over there for particle size area. In there u can change whatever u want. Tbh, adv launcher is jus a slider version of those files, for ppl who are too lazy to scroll through or have no prior knowledge.

What else do you want? Disabling spawn selection screen? 

Edited by Defibrillator

i think they went over this in the Q&A. they will find some way to add to settings like the ones you suggested and more. because those are necessary

whatever you wrote, yes banned for lyfe battleye best anti cheets and stuff idk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Delete the folder named "movies" in the apb directory. No cinematic stuff.

Search in apb compat.ini text file and related notepad files. I saw an option over there for particle size area. In there u can change whatever u want. Tbh, adv launcher is jus a slider version of those files, for ppl who are too lazy to scroll through or have no prior knowledge.

What else do you want? Disabling spawn selection screen? 

i know what the advanced launcher does and i even reverse engineered it out of curiosity and boredom. This is about potentially not being able to do any of these things anymore when the new client side anticheat comes out. you'd be effectively limited to the game as it was directly intended, no advanced launcher changes or personal preferences.

Matt Scott said on the stream that allowing things like this can lead to a "slippery slope".

I may be mistaken but I think he said that he can't confirm if battle eye would pick up on players using the advanced launcher.

I'd personally love to see these settings added to the game, especially the audio ones, but we will likely have to wait for the engine update to be completed.

In between both patches you may just want to take a break from the game so as not to risk your account getting banned for advanced launcher.

2 minutes ago, Kerelith Sanctus said:

Matt Scott said on the stream that allowing things like this can lead to a "slippery slope".

I may be mistaken but I think he said that he can't confirm if battle eye would pick up on players using the advanced launcher.

I'd personally love to see these settings added to the game, especially the audio ones, but we will likely have to wait for the engine update to be completed.

In between both patches you may just want to take a break from the game so as not to risk your account getting banned for advanced launcher.

ALRIGHT. WHO WANTS TO SACRIFICE THEIR ACCOUNT TO TEST THIS THEORY FOR ALL OF US?

wheres the love for the always sprint edit and the push to crouch edit

#savetheshiftkeys

Edited by BXNNXD
adding

I am not familiar with Battleeye how does it play with Cloud Gaming? That’s my concern.

And yes the advance launcher should be allowed. Maybe LO can work to integrate it into APB’s launcher if needed.

Edited by Rumple

3 hours ago, Obvious Lesbian said:

ALRIGHT. WHO WANTS TO SACRIFICE THEIR ACCOUNT TO TEST THIS THEORY FOR ALL OF US?

Fortunately for us, it'll be on OTW so we can test for what BE does and does not like before it goes live.

20 minutes ago, Similarities said:

Fortunately for us, it'll be on OTW so we can test for what BE does and does not like before it goes live.

will it be on otw?

also how exactly do you test an anticheat without cheating

9 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

will it be on otw?

Where is epic goat when you need him.

2 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

I am not familiar with Battleeye how does it play with Cloud Gaming? That’s my concern.

I'm not familiar with using either of these, which was the other reason for making this thread, showing and explaining so many little modifications some people find useful and have legitimate reason to use them and bringing some concern to removing / forgetting them.

2 minutes ago, SirBlackazz said:

Where is epic goat when you need him.

i said without cheating

3 minutes ago, iMiss said:

I'm not familiar with using either of these, which was the other reason for making this thread, showing and explaining so many little modifications some people find useful and have legitimate reason to use them and bringing some concern to removing / forgetting them.

technically theyre just .ini changes so they should be fine but with battleye potentially limiting all alterations, use at your own risk

5a0aad7c8de59ba21ffdbc3c08870f5a.png

old forum link to post

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

#savetheshiftkeys

I want this so badly.

Almost no anticheat checks config files that I've heard of. Go hard in the txt bros.

Edit: Oh sorry I put my foot in my mouth. Turning off stuff like grass or blood decals, skybox, etc is not cheating imo.

Edited by Puffdragon

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:

will it be on otw?

Matt said that he's worried advanced launcher/shader modifications/config modifications might trigger BattlEye, which is what I meant when I said we can "see what it does and does not like", it'll also allow the rendering community to test the programs they use to dump player models from the game without worrying about the possibility of getting falsely banned. We're not exactly "testing" the anti-cheat, we're just seeing if it falsely detects modifications to files.

In PUBG, battleye does not check config files. Some files are ignored by the game itself but otherwise there are no issues. Also, if Battleye detects a modified file, it simply stops the game from launching, and dsiplays an error message displaying what it blocked. You only get banned if it detects a known cheat. I doubt APB will function differently.

Edited by MrsHappyPenguin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

In PUBG, battleye does not check config files. Some files are ignored by the game itself but otherwise there are no issues. Also, if Battleye detects a modified file, it simply stops the game from launching, and dsiplays an error message displaying what it blocked. You only get banned if it detects a known cheat. I doubt APB will function differently.

I keep bringing this up but never get a straight answer, from what I remember battleye on arma just kicked you for having 'invalid client file' or something like that?

I'm gonna be real cheesed if I can't use colorblind translation files anymore but I reckon it's for a greater cause

just to elaborate on that:

MiXbF9f.png

Edited by sidezz

1 hour ago, sidezz said:

I keep bringing this up but never get a straight answer, from what I remember battleye on arma just kicked you for having 'invalid client file' or something like that?

I'm gonna be real cheesed if I can't use colorblind translation files anymore but I reckon it's for a greater cause

just to elaborate on that:

MiXbF9f.png

Yes or other things, maybe you only have access to a low res monitor because you are travelling, many reasons to edit the config.

For removing movies in game , you guys can just do that using start parameters aka command line arguments

Just make a shortcut towards your APBprogram , and add "-nomoviestartup" after the path so it looks like this   "something\something\somwhere\Binaries\APBprogram" -nomoviestartup   (yes there's a space after ")

boom , no cutscenes /loading screens , all that without changing the games files ! , plus this method isn't forbidden at all , as you just use something that's included into APB itself .

Edited by Ketog

7 hours ago, iMiss said:

I'm aware there's already discussion about this next suggestion but i'll state it again here since it's appropriate. Please make it a legitimate thing to turn down, or off, all game music or themes. I play with my own music going almost all the time and its one of my peeves when i run past a car blaring some song i have already heard a hundred times in my thousands of hours, drowning out my own music. The same goes for Themes, i couldn't stand hearing something designed to grief my ears when it wouldn't be worth the effort of complaining about all the players who have them to support, and it was almost as annoying as the ingame music to hear someones theme when i'm trying to listen to my own music. I ended up removing the instrument files and i'm glad i made the sacrifice of not being able to hear my own to negate the nuisance of hearing others. 

On the topic of removing sound files for personal convenience, i hope and pray little orbit changes some of the emitter files to be less obnoxious or gives some option to change the volume level of those seperate to other game sounds. I want to hear guns shoot, grenades tick, osmaws spool up and all these useful tidbits but i DO NOT want to hear the boiler room of Asylum hammer away, ruining the vibe i'm trying to grasp from my music as i protect the objective in there. It's been extremely blissful without many of the emitter sounds i can't do anything to other than remove them entirely. 

These are just a few small quality of life improvements i noticed that have gained popularity that are not difficult fixes, and aren't very difficult to fix properly. Things like the custom text color selector, a proper variety of volume scales for Music, Themes, Emitters and other sounds can bring a much needed customizable experience to how the game plays and feels without much difficulty

Apart from the music you are trying to take away the atmosphere in the game.. You are looking to have your cake and eat it as they say.

8 hours ago, iMiss said:

i know what the advanced launcher does and i even reverse engineered it out of curiosity and boredom. This is about potentially not being able to do any of these things anymore when the new client side anticheat comes out. you'd be effectively limited to the game as it was directly intended, no advanced launcher changes or personal preferences.

Seeing as PUBG use BE and UE, and you can make changes to the config just fine, I really doubt it'll be any different when it comes to APB.

• Like 1