Nerf N-HVR?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Should they nerf or buff the N-HVR?

Friendly reminder that nobody thought the HVR was problematic until the TTK was reduced in CBT 1.

How to fix HVR: restore RTW TTK and remove damage dropoff.

Edited by Knite
If you're going to downvote, provide some constructive feedback

20 minutes ago, Knite said:

Friendly reminder that nobody thought the HVR was problematic until the TTK was reduced in CBT 1.

How to fix all gun balance issues in APB: Bring back tracers.

I have said this countless times about the HVR, it needs a HARD nerf. When they introduced damage dropoff the HVR was excluded from that so unlike every other weapon in the game its damage at 100m is exactly the same at 1m. It needs damage dropoff just for the simple fact everything else has it, a HVR bullet is no different from a scout bullet which brings me to my next point. With the damage ability of the HVR and no dropoff using any other sniper in the game is pointless.

The HVR-762 should be nerfed to a range of 690-720 damage with an increased swap delay/equip time to remove quick switching. In APB quickswitching is an abuse of the weapon and allows the HVR to be viable at close range when its not supposed to be.

The only people defending the hvr at this point are bronzies / silvers or 24/7 campers or people who have never faced good hvr players. Change my mind.

2 minutes ago, Thial said:

The only people defending the hvr at this point are bronzies / silvers or 24/7 campers or people who have never faced good hvr players. Change my mind.

U forget the ppl who also abuse the weapon for an unfair advantage to compensate for lack of skill

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Knite said:

i’d like longer TTKs as much as the next guy, but this seems kind of disingenuous 

it was the systematic nerfing of all the competing ranged weapons that’s lead to the hvr  - just because it’s remained nearly unchanged - becoming unbalanced

23 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

U forget the ppl who also abuse the weapon for an unfair advantage to compensate for lack of skill

hqdefault.jpg

39 minutes ago, Thial said:

There are mechanically skilled players but the hvr itself doesn't require any game knowledge to use. Doesn't require a immediate follow up shot either unlike the scout and the dmr.

Edited by RespectThis
  • Like 1

My main problem with the HVR is how it takes you out of the action for 10 seconds as you'll basically be one-hit by any gun in the game after being hit by a HVR, combined with how simple it to use it.

They should either nerf it's damage potential and keep its simplicity or make it harder to use. And because we already have the scout, only the last option is left. Make it more difficult to use. Make the user more vulnerable while using it.

Do this by removing ANY sprinting while wielding the weapon, like it used to be like. Maybe make it so you need to use fragile to use any kind of sprint.

Then slow down pretty much any animation involving the weapon.
Make it slower to equip and unequip. This put's a stop to the one man army called quick-switching, and promotes teamplay.
Make it slower to aim down sights, slower to crouch, and slower to get back up again. This puts a stop to instant popshotting, making the player position himself more wisely as other weaker weapons now has time to hit them. 

Finally, since there is no sway and breath holding mechanic in this game, we have to make use of bloom and accuracy.
Make its cross hairs wider apart while standing upright, and while on the move. This promotes the players to stand still, and even crouch while using it, as if it really was a heavy and unwieldy anti material rifle, further separating it from it's more nimble counterpart, the scout

Edited by Landsfaderen
*Spell check
  • Like 1

Most games handle Snipers by these parameters:

1. Other games feature maps with uncomfortable limitations. APB level design is a sniper's playground.

2. Other games feature more intricate bullet ballistics such as bullet drop-off and breathing control. This renders it more difficult to snipe in general. APB has none of this.

3. Other games remove entirely the targeting reticule for sniper rifles when not scoped in. This prevents things like hip-fire from becoming a nuisance.

4. Other games provide for a much longer equip/switch time. APB allows the player to circumvent this entirely with 3-Point Sling III.

The problem with HVR's is with APB in general. This game is stuck in game design ethos from 10 years ago, and nothing has been done to keep up with the times. I mean, I was hip-firing, jump-sniping, and generally wrecking face with sniper rifles in CoD 1. Seriously. Once I got a Sniper Rifle and a Thompson in my hands--I was unstoppable in that game. You would have had to have been a cheater to beat me. It only took the devs of that game 1 Expansion Pack to figure on a way to make sniping less powerful. What did they do? They provided for breathing control and removed jump-sniping. Those two things alone will make sniping in a game more balanced than any amount of number finessing.

I think part of the problem with the weapon stats is that when you look at them completely stock, they are probably perfectly balanced. But when you start adding in mods and stuff, these weapons, some of them, end up being way more effective than perhaps they ought to be. This is why most online games actually limit what you can and cannot do to your weapon to "improve it." APB does not do this at all. All Weapon Mods are available for use in any weapon. The only limitations to the system is when the weapon already has a mod pre-installed.

Let's look at something as simple as an Assault Rifle for instance:

In other games, you might be able to have maybe a vertical grip attachment. This allows you to have way more control over your weapon recoil. That's a good thing. But what is the draw-back? Typically, it's that your speed to scope in is reduced. Why is this a balanced feature? Because hip-fire in general is typically kind of crappy for ALL weapons except maybe shotguns. And even THEY usually benefit from scoping in. Alternatively, instead of a vertical grip, maybe you get an angled grip. This does nothing for your weapon control, but it allows you to scope in faster. And then what? That's usually it. That's all you get.

APB's problem, I think, has more to do with Mod Balance/Functionality than it does with the actual stock stats of the guns. I think the Mod system--all of it--needs to be rethought. I think the weapons themselves should be balanced in such a way that ALL weapons should need to be scoped in to be reliable--none of this run-and-gun stuff. Get rid of sprint-shooting in general. All hip-fire--even with SMG's--should be punished. But not only are some of these weapons designed with it in mind, but there's even a Mod which makes it even better--Reflex Sight. Failing a complete Mod overhaul and redesign, we're always going to have this issue with weapon balance.

Until then, the best thing to do for HVR is:

1. Increase the equip time to make 3-Point Sling inconsequential.

2. Remove Jump-Sniping entirely. Leave no trace of it.

3. All High-Velocity Rifles should have their reticule removed unless scoped in.

2 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

i’d like longer TTKs as much as the next guy, but this seems kind of disingenuous 

it was the systematic nerfing of all the competing ranged weapons that’s lead to the hvr  - just because it’s remained nearly unchanged - becoming unbalanced

While I left things unsaid, it doesn't seem appropriate to call my comment disingenuous; the TTK change affected everything, exacerbating the power of the HVR to tag enemies and have them be easily finished off by teammates, and damage dropoff neutered the ability of any weapon to even attempt to counter an HVR at range. I remember countering HVRs with RSA before dropoff was introduced; try it now and you'll probably die. Currently the HVR is disproportionately strong compared to its historical self, by way of other mechanics changing around it.

Edited by Knite

I am myself a sniper. I have always been since CB, since 2010. I don´t think this gun should get a nerd in terms of damage but it should have some mechanism that would prevent the user from jumpshooting or quickswitching. Its a sniper it should have High damage and low rate of fire....if people want to do jumpshoots use the sitting duck or any other scout as it has been in the past. Keep going Little Orbit! Best Regards Rodrigues, CBT Veteran!

On 5/28/2018 at 5:44 PM, MrM0dZ said:

people will rage about every sniper rifle in games,even COD people complain about because they get 1 shot killed from snipers.

snipers are supossed to have a HIGH damage,if they didn't have such damage people would simply use DMRs or assault rifles and the game wouldn't have people using different weapons.

Since they have a much lower fire rate the damage have a point to be there,osmaw used to fire instantly and people complained so they added a delay,now tell me 1 other game that has a rocket launcher that needs time before launching a rocket.

If you don't like HVR,just counter it,corner the guy using it or just don't expose yourself in the open.

git gud already

not to go off topic here but they should remove that timer again the osmaw will have its purpose again

Just now, Zalman18 said:

not to go off topic here but they should remove that timer again the osmaw will have its purpose again

instafire osmaw was terrible and i’m glad they were fixed

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

instafire osmaw was terrible and i’m glad they were fixed

the day G1 implemented timers and car surfers thats when it became terrible 

15 minutes ago, Zalman18 said:

the day G1 implemented timers and car surfers thats when it became terrible 

i agree that car surfer is badly balanced, but the timer on the osmaw was very necessary

i still remember the pre-detonator car bombing

9 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i agree that car surfer is badly balanced, but the timer on the osmaw was very necessary

i still remember the pre-detonator car bombing

the detonator is also a one of G1 cheap tricks of victory

un-nerf the obeya to "nerf" the hvr if you really want to do anything.

As someone that has used the HVR a good bit - QS-ing, reverse QS-ing, and just sniping- cutting the damage to 750 won't hurt me... I would swap to an RSA if I wanted to QS (I already use an ACT).  

The only thing that ever legitimately worried me was a pre-nerf obeya.  it could actually deal enough damage to suppress an HVR and was accurate enough to do it at range.

They nerfed the obeya and the HVR became king of long range.  That said, If it takes 5 obeya shots to kill someone, i'd make recoil start to kick in at much higher amounts at 7-8 shots so that would force a pause to "reset" recoil.  

On 5/29/2018 at 2:55 AM, RespectThis said:

Then what would happen to the DMR? Because that's what you're describing right now.

DMR is DMR, HVR is HVR, it will still take 3 shots to kill someone with DMR and 2 clips from HVR to destroy a vehicle.

Yes please. Yukon along with it by fixing it's bugged fire rate.

Edited by ╬ PzKpfw VI Tiger

11 hours ago, Thial said:

Play against some of the top players using the hvr and you will know why.

n8c2uj0.png

Good players do well against me pls nerf them.

4 hours ago, Sniperturtle said:

DMR is DMR, HVR is HVR, it will still take 3 shots to kill someone with DMR and 2 clips from HVR to destroy a vehicle.

I think you missed the point. By doing that you're making the guns almost identical. At which point more players will continue to choose the hvr over the dmr. The dmr needs to stand out more to actually be more of an option.

Edited by RespectThis

3 hours ago, Zoehh said:

n8c2uj0.png

Good players do well against me pls nerf them.

You clearly haven't played against good quickswitchers / people with extraordinary aim if you are memeing on this. If you did you would understand what kind of a tool of destruction hvr is in the hands of top players.