Sign in to follow this  
Killer Rabbit

[GAME] Restore the old gunshot echo system

One of very last patches RTW made before closing down was an update to the gunshot sounds. Players shooting far out (even beyond 100m) would have this really cool echoing muffled effect, so it sounded like it was bouncing between the buildings. I distinctly remember getting on the test server back in the day (it was the patch where they first added recoil, 1.4.1 I think), and how great it sounded.

A similar effect existed for explosions too.

But... Early on, G1 somehow broke this system, and never bothered to fix it (like so many other things).

Could you perhaps look into it restoring it?

Edited by Killer Rabbit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would be great if you could find an example of this system in action. A lot of sounds were broken or made worse by G1, such as footstep volume, player hurt sounds, or even how audible grenade beeps were.

Edited by Dopefish

Well I will still take your word for it, that sounds wonderful. You have my full support in that case.

Yes please, bring back the male pain sounds too.  I distinctly remember screaming "AHGAWD" when falling a long distance or getting hit by an HVR or vehicle.

Just for old time sake :3

Edit: Forgot to mention, add the old vehicle sounds again too.  The Vegas used to sound a lot better.

Edited by BrandonBranderson

On 5/28/2018 at 12:04 PM, Killer Rabbit said:

One of very last patches RTW made before closing down was an update to the gunshot sounds. Players shooting far out (even beyond 100m) would have this really cool echoing muffled effect, so it sounded like it was bouncing between the buildings. I distinctly remember getting on the test server back in the day (it was the patch where they first added recoil, 1.4.1 I think), and how great it sounded.

A similar effect existed for explosions too.

But... Early on, G1 somehow broke this system, and never bothered to fix it (like so many other things).

Could you perhaps look into it restoring it?

This needs to make a comeback. They need to fix and restore all the original audio effects and old sound design. Except for the old gunsounds(not talking about the echo system) which were weird.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:19 PM, Killer Rabbit said:

I tried, but unfortunately I only found potato quality videos with loud music overlayed.

This video from 2011 has a lot of distinct audible echo in close quarters combat.