Sign in to follow this  
BaronSaturday

Ryzen 3 2200G

Okay.  So.  I be poe.  Poe af.  I'm working on a new build that's going to have a Ryzen 3 2200G until I can save up for a dedicated gpu.

Anyone know how the 2200G will handle APB?

5 minutes ago, BaronSaturday said:

Okay.  So.  I be poe.  Poe af.  I'm working on a new build that's going to have a Ryzen 3 2200G until I can save up for a dedicated gpu.

game is still 32bit using around 2cores so it will perform fine if its above 3ghz

untill UE3.5 if thats a success and they OPTIMIZE it to use our pc juice
EDIT: Get a gpu Edited by Keshi

4 minutes ago, BaronSaturday said:

1c3.jpg

Poorly, integrated gpu's are still not good enough

It would be playable.. but don't expect much beyond that. It comes in at the very bottom end of the spectrum in terms of GPU power (GT 1030 equivalent). For CPU heavy tasks it does okayish. The low core count really works against it there.

Might be better off saving up for a while then buying some parts. Unless you absolutely feel you need something right now. 

I reckon you might be able to get playable FPS at 1024x768 all minimum. The igpu in ryzens is leagues ahead of intel's

I'm aware of performance expectations for Vega 8 in general.  But APB is the ultimate outlier.

I suppose the question is will I be able to get away with a mix of medium and low settings at 1080p or even 768?  Right now I'm running on a laptop with a Celeron N3330 that manages about 17fps average.  Not playable by any stretch but I'll settle for 30fps until I get the GPU.

24 minutes ago, Genobee said:

It would be playable.. but don't expect much beyond that. It comes in at the very bottom end of the spectrum in terms of GPU power (GT 1030 equivalent). For CPU heavy tasks it does okayish. The low core count really works against it there.

Might be better off saving up for a while then buying some parts. Unless you absolutely feel you need something right now. 

My freelance season is coming up and I need something better than this Acer Aspire with a Celeron N3330 and the 2200g is the best I can do for right now.  I can be up and running in 3 weeks.  But I also want to play APB as I just spent a week getting my account back.

10 minutes ago, BaronSaturday said:

I'm aware of performance expectations for Vega 8 in general.  But APB is the ultimate outlier.

I suppose the question is will I be able to get away with a mix of medium and low settings at 1080p or even 768?

I'd like to think that at least 900p Medium-high settings should be smooth and fast enough most of the time, but yeah as you said, APB loves to be one big performance exception.

1 hour ago, Keshi said:
game is still 32bit using around 2cores so it will perform fine if its above 3ghz

untill UE3.5 if thats a success and they OPTIMIZE it to use our pc juice
EDIT: Get a gpu
this is about the "igpu" not the performance of the cpu in general.
the cpu performance as-is will be fine. apb has one thread so it is using a maximum of one core, which is totally unrelated to it being 32bit.

BTT: yes, it will run. just don't expect more than 25-35 fps on minimal setting at 720p. (it might be better, just start off with low expectations)
tweak it a bit further (using the advanced launcher) and you might end up on a solid 30-something on full hd (1920x1080), if your screen supports that (hopefully).

the "igpus" are not terrible but not great either. try to get your hands on a dedicated gpu. even a gtx 660 is enough to run this game at 60+fps on high at full hd resolution.

a "decent" mobile i3 from 6 years ago handled 20-25fps at 720p. everything above that should be okay, if you don't have high expectations.

remember, you'll also need a compatible motherboard (any am4 300- oder 400-series chipset) and ram (ddr4) if you go for this cpu.
if you are unsure, just check compability on https://pcpartpicker.com Edited by neophobia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neophobia said:
this is about the "igpu" not the performance of the cpu in general.
the cpu performance as-is will be fine. apb has one thread so it is using a maximum of one core, which is totally unrelated to it being 32bit.

BTT: yes, it will run. just don't expect more than 25-35 fps on minimal setting at 720p. (it might be better, just start off with low expectations)
tweak it a bit further (using the advanced launcher) and you might end up on a solid 30-something on full hd (1920x1080), if your screen supports that (hopefully).

the "igpus" are not terrible but not great either. try to get your hands on a dedicated gpu. even a gtx 660 is enough to run this game at 60+fps on high at full hd resolution.

a "decent" mobile i3 from 6 years ago handled 20-25fps at 720p. everything above that should be okay, if you don't have high expectations.

remember, you'll also need a compatible motherboard (any am4 300- oder 400-series chipset) and ram (ddr4) if you go for this cpu.
if you are unsure, just check compability on https://pcpartpicker.com
I have the case (Fractal Design Core 500) and motherboard  (MSI B450I AC) sitting right next to the laptop.  I've been building since 2012.  My issue isn't parts knowledge.  As I said.  I'm more than awaregular how Vega 8 performs in other games.  No one benched APB and it's an extreme outlier because it's optimized in the same way that cream of chicken is for a coffee filter. Edited by BaronSaturday

Don't even think about playing any game without a graphics card, no matter how strong the cpu is.

18 minutes ago, BaronSaturday said:
I have the case (Fractal Design Core 500) and motherboard  (MSI B450I AC) sitting right next to the laptop.  I've been building since 2012.  My issue isn't parts knowledge.  As I said.  I'm more than awaregular how Vega 8 performs in other games.  No one benched APB and it's an extreme outlier because it's optimized in the same way that cream of chicken is for a coffee filter.

You're just gonna have to do your own testing, the APB community is apparently even less knowledgeable on integrated graphics technology than the rest of the internet given these responses
  • Thanks 1

are all of you guys posting without reading the thread title or something

If a shitty igpu can manage 15-20fps at 720p I'm pretty confident ryzen's igpu can very well do 30, if not even 60 - considering the little shit can even run fucken DOOM 2016 at 45fps (if you make a lot of sacrifices that is)

EDIT : As a quick comparison.

I used to play APB pretty comfortably at 1024x768 with an Nvidia GT520
The iGPU found in the Ryzen 2200g iirc sits slightly below the performance of an Nvidia GT1030 - so going off by this comparison I don't think you'd be having a truckload of issues

Are you hinging your 2200g purchase solely off this, btw? Or is it just a stopgap?

Edited by Nitronik

That specific CPU should be powerful enough to run APB at around   30-50 maybe even 60 fps,however the quality wont be the best.The decently high frequency will help but with out a decent GPU you will not have an enjoyable gaming experience since APB takes a good amount of CPU power.

Yeah, you might just play some games on a cpu if you're lucky and going to make a lot of sacrifices, having a low resolution, the lowest settings, and low frame rates.

Not sure if anyone would enjoy "gaming" that way.

9 hours ago, Nitronik said:

are all of you guys posting without reading the thread title or something

If a shitty igpu can manage 15-20fps at 720p I'm pretty confident ryzen's igpu can very well do 30, if not even 60 - considering the little shit can even run fucken DOOM 2016 at 45fps (if you make a lot of sacrifices that is)

EDIT : As a quick comparison.

I used to play APB pretty comfortably at 1024x768 with an Nvidia GT520
The iGPU found in the Ryzen 2200g iirc sits slightly below the performance of an Nvidia GT1030 - so going off by this comparison I don't think you'd be having a truckload of issues

Are you hinging your 2200g purchase solely off this, btw? Or is it just a stopgap?

Definitely would never build anything specifically for APB.  If I did I'd save all the money's by getting a Phenom II x4 990 Black, 8GB ddr2, and an HD 5770.

Yes.  The 2200g is a compromise of necessity.  Initially I was going to go for an Athlon x4 950 and an RX 560, but then I realized I need to be up and running by October so I went with the 2200g as a meantime investment..  And it'll give me some headroom in my upgrade path vs the Athlon chip when I go to get my GPU.  Which I'll probably just save up for a couple months and get and RX 570. Edited by BaronSaturday

1 minute ago, BaronSaturday said:
Definitely would never build anything specifically for APB.  If I did I'd save all the money's by getting a Phenom II x4 990 Black, 8GB ddr2, and an HD 5770.

Yes.  The 2200g is a compromise of necessity.  Initially I was going to go for an Athlone x4 950 and an RX 560, but then I realized I need to be up and running by October so I went with the 2200g as a meantime investment..  And it'll give me some headroom in my upgrade path vs the Athlon chip when I go to get my GPU.
Get what you need and can afford man. No need to buy an overkill PC if you are not gonna use it's potential
2200g on an rx560 isnt a bad combo but i heard the rx 5 series run a bit too hot. Might have to check that again

9 hours ago, GhosT said:

Yeah, you might just play some games on a cpu if you're lucky and going to make a lot of sacrifices, having a low resolution, the lowest settings, and low frame rates.

Your title sure rings true. Again, do you know what the iGPU in a 2200g is like?

8 minutes ago, Nitronik said:
9 hours ago, GhosT said:

Your title sure rings true. Again, do you know what the iGPU in a 2200g is like?

Yeah, something that can power a few games on low settings with meh frame rates.

As with any APU, it will be bandwidth starved so the performance depends on the speed of whatever RAM you pair it with.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page8.html

Note that dual channel gives you a massive boost (never run a 2200G on a single ram stick), and 3000 and 3200 are the sweet spot for a build with this APU. 

Obviously, store bought PCs will just run the cheapest 2133Mhz single channel memory possible, so steer clear of those if you want an APU. 

The problem with this is of course, RAM prices. 8GB is a bit low for a system that needs to run its graphics card off system RAM, whereas 16 GB of 3000 or 3200Mhz memory will probably cost you more than the APU itself. At least CAS latency isn't really a priority with the APUs, so you can take the cheapest two stick, 3000Mhz kit you find. 

The upside is that an overclocked (4Ghz-ish) Ryzen with properly set up memory will perform brilliantly in APB. 

Edited by Lyfeld

Just now, Lyfeld said:

The upside is that an overclocked (4Ghz-ish) Ryzen with properly set up memory will perform brilliantly in APB.

Makes me want to try OCing mine (2600) , too bad I'm still running stock cooler

2 minutes ago, Nitronik said:
Makes me want to try OCing mine (2600) , too bad I'm still running stock cooler

If you have a 2000 series standalone CPU (not APU) don't bother with OCing. Try to get your memory running at the highest possible frequency with a low CAS latency. The stock turbo boost technology from these new CPUs will outperform any manual OC you can do for single threaded tasks. Edited by Lyfeld
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lyfeld said:

As with any APU, it will be bandwidth starved so the performance depends on the speed of whatever RAM you pair it with.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page8.html

Note that dual channel gives you a massive boost (never run a 2200G on a single ram stick), and 3000 and 3200 are the sweet spot for a build with this APU. 

Obviously, store bought PCs will just run the cheapest 2133Mhz single channel memory possible, so steer clear of those if you want an APU. 

The problem with this is of course, RAM prices. 8GB is a bit low for a system that needs to run its graphics card off system RAM, whereas 16 GB of 3000 or 3200Mhz memory will probably cost you more than the APU itself. At least CAS latency isn't really a priority with the APUs, so you can take the cheapest two stick, 3000Mhz kit you find. 

Yeah.  I picked out the Corsair Vengeance LPX (8GB 4×4 @3k).  Best I can do for now.  As long as I can stay above 30fps I'll be happy.  So research has lead me to the conclusion that I can basically allocate 200mb of the system memory to the IGPU and get zero frame loss because it'll just dump into system anyway.  It just needs around 200mb for files that size which will be rare in APB.

And I know APB loves RAM because of all the custom symbols and stuff, but a small OC to the IGPU and fast RAM should be okay.  I'll drop to 720 if I absolutely have to.

Alright.  So the PC is complete  I must say that I'm competely blown away by how well this thing performs.  It's running APB fairly well at 1920x1200

msI afterburner has confirmed that the in game fps counter is accurately reporting fps.

I'll go more in depth about settings, but off the top of my head:
dynamic shadows and settings tied to it are off.

AA is at x4
ambient occlusion is on.
bloom is on.

like I said, I'll get more specific with the settings, but the game looks very good and at the above stated resolution I'm averaging 32fps with a low of 14 (but this is from that frame stuttering problem APB has and is generally rare with a few exceptions*) with a high of 50fps  (this is also rare*)

So yeah.  Perfectly playable at a decent resolution and graphics settings.

exceptions*  So.  There are times when the stuttering is worse than others and I'm trying to figure that out still.  I have noted it's more prominent in WF than Financial.

rare*  Idk where the 50 is getting reported from.  As far as I've noticed my highest should be about 43 fps.

Edited by BaronSaturday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your average could definitely go even higher if you were to gut some settings - happy to see you come back to this thread to report results!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this