kukki

N-Hvr Changes

Oh boy, I've just returned from a journey through the web.
This post, supposedly containing the patch notes, has lead me to another one.

For more detailed information about what is some of these specific changes you can read about them here:
https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2018/07/end-of-july-update.html
And that one to another!
I've posted about these changes on our forums, so I wont go into detail in this blog, but you can review my original post here.
And here's the info provided over there:
1) Linking accuracy to damage on the HVR 762
Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate allows us to reduce the ability to fire it at close range / snap shot and still be effective.

Sniper Rifles, particularly the HVRs, are particularly hard to balance because they are currently effective at point blank range and also devastating at a distance. G1 tried a few rough balance measures in the past with initial inaccuracy and movement cooldown, but it’s still quite possible to use the HVR in CQC. We feel this change will preserve the HVR 762's place in our matrix of weapons, but make it less desirable outside of actually sniping.
Now, I apologize in advance if I'm missing some obvious post with the information I am looking for, but so far it seems to me that there is no specific information on what exactly has been done to hvr. Sometimes it takes 3 shots to kill, that's all I've managed to notice. I couldn't find specifics online and that's me- a member of the minority who bother looking for such information. How is a general new user, an hvr fan at that, supposed to know what has been done to their main weapon of choice?
If not an in-game system with detailed patch notes, then at least that in a form of a forum post would be nice.

Patch notes:

Network code upgrades
Friend list Improvements
Weapon Balance changes
Introduction of Showstopper
That isn't patch notes, that's a preliminary road map sticky note.
  • Thanks 1

Basically, if the crosshair size of the hvr is larger than that of it when you're crouching still not in marksmanship mode, the gun will deal 280 damage. If it's more accurate, it will deal an increasing amount of damage, up to 850, when the gun is fully accurate, when in marksmanship mode.

Edited by Kempington
  • Thanks 1

the larger your crosshair the more damage you do and ewww you main nhvr 

32 minutes ago, Kempington said:

Basically, if the crosshair size of the hvr is larger than that of it when you're crouching still not in marksmanship mode, the gun will deal 280 damage. If it's more accurate, it will deal an increasing amount of damage, up to 850, when the gun is fully accurate, when in marksmanship mode.

Thanks.
Still, it'd be nice if this information was more easily accessible, including to people who don't visit the forum.

This is an prime example of what I meant with these changes not being intuitive. This is an experienced HVR user who even dug up the notes for the changes, and still didn't understand them.

How do you expect new players to comprehend it?

It forcefully nerfs jump shooting (which was mainly luck based before), and only slightly delay quickswitching. It does nothing against people who respawn in line of sight, and one-shots you because you were minimally damaged.

Why not just nerf the damage to 750 instead of all these weird mechanics on it that doesn't make sense? It would still outperform the other snipers.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dopefish said:

This is an prime example of what I meant with these changes not being intuitive. This is an experienced HVR user who even dug up the notes for the changes, and still didn't understand them.

It forcefully nerfs jump shooting (which was mainly luck based before), and only slightly delay quickswitching. It does nothing against people who respawn in line of sight, and one-shots you because you were minimally damaged.

Why not just nerf the damage to 750 instead of all these weird mechanics on it that doesn't make sense? It would still outperform the other snipers.

It was a change purely to counter the hip fire effectivity while crouching mid-fight.

I mean you could've just increased the accuracy itself... but let's rather add more RNG to the game.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dopefish said:

New players will know about the mechanics now and get used to it
Because they never used the old mechanic which was just point and shoot, jumpshot get a 850, or quickswitch.

Just now, Keshi said:
But how?
It is not in any way explained.

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:
But how?
It is not in any way explained.
u know. all my life playing apb since 2010, every new player with HVR's are always those sneaky hiding camper out of nowhere hardscoping you from a far distance.
Maybe they can write it as part of the description of the gun in the stats ingame? 🤔

1 minute ago, Keshi said:
u know. all my life playing apb since 2010, every new player with HVR's are always those sneaky hiding camper out of nowhere hardscoping you from a far distance.
Maybe they can write it as part of the description of the gun in the stats ingame? 🤔
the ones that no one pays attention to because all the other stats are wrong?

17 minutes ago, Dopefish said:

i agree with this, adding all of these arbitrary limits and mechanics is really beginning to ruin the simplicity of gunplay that made apb feel more put together

3 hours ago, Dopefish said:

Make it 640 soft damage and increase the hard damage to fall between the DMR-SD and DMR-AV's TTK.

Linking damage to accuracy was a stupid decision. It didn't fix the problem. Edited by MrsHappyPenguin

Like other people said, tweaking the HVR762 to dealing around 700dmg is more than reasonable. Especially considering the next most damaging sniper rifle is 550dmg, and 600dmg from DMR at 95m (i think). I don't think there's a need for the whole accuracy affecting damage thing. At least then you could survive one shot from almost any rifle or AR.

Edited by SLICKIEM

13 hours ago, Dopefish said:

We need Widowmaker Shot Charge UI ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

18 hours ago, Keshi said:
Because they never used the old mechanic which was just point and shoot, jumpshot get a 850, or quickswitch.

still not logically, nor intiuitive, there needs to be an ingame description to reflect that, especially since this doesn't count for other snipers. Edited by LilyV3
  • Like 1