kukki

First impressions after years away

12 minutes ago, kukki said:
IIRC, G1 mentioned that we wouldn't notice any difference in-game after the upgrade. It would enable devs to more effectively work on fixing stuff and implementing new, though.
if that was ever the plan it was scrapped pretty quickly, likely due to a large number of people expecting there to be visual improvements

in every image/video we've gotten of the engine upgrade theres been a pretty marked graphical difference, as well as the actual OTW2 test server that is/was floating around which has the same "improved" graphics

4 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
if that was ever the plan it was scrapped pretty quickly, likely due to a large number of people expecting there to be visual improvements

in every image/video we've gotten of the engine upgrade theres been a pretty marked graphical difference, as well as the actual OTW2 test server that is/was floating around which has the same "improved" graphics
We'll have to wait and see whether that'll be sustainable in 100 user instances.

Just now, kukki said:
We'll have to wait and see whether that'll be sustainable in 100 user instances.
thats the hope

engine upgrade will be make or break for apb tbh

11 hours ago, kukki said:
12 hours ago, Spaghettio said:
It's nice to see a veteran being vocal
Apb is clearly far from perfect hence it is wonderful to see you highlighting some of its less looked upon issues

Unfortunately that isn't going to simply bring apb back to life via fixing some Quality of life issues but it is definitely important
 What i believe little orbit is doing from a business perspective is waiting until the engine upgrade before advertising in order to have something more presentable
  and in the meantime working on fixing up the games basic structure 
 Now as for when will they advertise? Will it be either unreal 3.5 or 4.0? i suspect they will probably advertise 4.0 considering they've yet to address things relative to new players

obviously i would love to see the game with more population upon the release of 3.5 but i suspect they are aiming for a bit into the future
          Unreal 4.0 can look really good if done relatively well which is what i suspect they are betting upon

Regardless this is just me being hopeful i'm well aware of how long we have been waiting for this "engine upgrade"
IIRC, G1 mentioned that we wouldn't notice any difference in-game after the upgrade. It would enable devs to more effectively work on fixing stuff and implementing new, though.
Upgrading engine does enable new shading/post processing techniques and if you've seen preview for the engine upgrade in the past there is a significant change 
  at'least in what was shown

as for optimization that is a different story that is entirely up to what they do with the resources that they have

*after reading other comments*
They could structure the game to be more like instance match-making system but that does destroy the appeal of the game quite a bit (and it is alot of work)
 if they really are aiming for a battle royale like game it is definitely in their best interest to make it optimized for like 100 people in an instance yes

There might be other ways to go about it without destroying its appeal
   regardless it depends on optimization now as for what the engine upgrade will entail is unknown all we can do is hope for the best Edited by Spaghettio

On 8/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, kukki said:
On 8/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, TrinityFSB said:

Just think though...  After the few months of owning the game, LO has already made more improvements than the original G1 team did in the course of several years. 
#soontm

I understand giving them time, but I don't see what you mean when you say that ^
The original G1 staff let APB stagnate for years without significant improvements.  LO has already done/are fixing to do several things to improve the game. (Battleye, HVR rebalance, implementation of an actual trade system, etc.) 
The current shotgun fiasco is not going without their attention either... They've more or less acknowledged the fact that the changes to shotguns in game make them more than a bit OP. There will be re-balances in the future with shotguns and other weaponry as well.