kukki

First impressions after years away

It's hard to tell how many years it has been now, 3, or 5, but I really have forgotten about this game. Changed developer and new pc later, some old friend mentions APB and I think to myself- wouldn't it be wonderful checking this out in full hd for the first time. And wonderful it is, just because of the 1080p high graphics settings on a 144hz monitor, for the first time, it's like playing a new game and a taste of nostalgia of how entertaining this game was when it was a completely new experience, is there, tickling.
But while playing a pretty, relatively smoothly running game is enough to pull me in again, it doesn't cloud the fact that apart from a massive pool of before unseen weapons and some cosmetic items, there's really nothing else different about the game. At least nothing that I've noticed. And having experienced the crushed expectation coming from realtime worlds into the gamersfirst era, I'm no longer expectant with another change of hands.
And the first word from the dev confirms my impressions which initially lead me to leave the game. Improvement isn't the goal, because improving the game doesn't reliably yield additional income. New content might, though. It takes as much effort, or less and can be directly translated into sales. I still gonna stick around. There's fun to be had here, now, that I'm running it on a decent machine, there's no other similar TPS, But I don't need premium to enjoy what the game has to offer and I'm not interested in buying cosmetic items for real money, in a game which hasn't improved on the issues apparent since realtimeworlds alpha.

These are the first impressions, which rustled my jimmies the most, coming back into the game after such a long break.

Modifications do not stack. It's a great thing about weapon customization- some of them work better with level 2 mods, but having several of each modification at the ready for convenience becomes counter-productive, when I'm required to scroll through 10 cj 3's to find one cj 2.

Shotgun damage should fall off at a much lower range. While it's nice to see shotguns feel more reliable than I remember and it's fine for the shotgun to be the most effective weapon at the closest of ranges, it's not fine, however, when it outdamages smg's at their intended range.

Item hold objectives are still very abusable. Rather than looking for all the camp spots and changing those, item properties could be modified. Rounder, larger hitbox could mimic physics, making items fall even off larger ledges. In other words, there's no need for those items to lay steadily on the ground. Making them act wonky, like a ball, would make item hold missions much fairer and more enjoyable, even if at the cost of realism (which didn't bother many with the car surfer implementation, as I remember).

Inventory and Marketplace interaction is still a mess. Marketplace is a huge part of the game for creators who share their music, designs, or just try to make some extra cash off modifications and clothing items. Having to update the marketplace every 24hrs by manually adding items one by one might be a design choice, but I personally don't think it's good one. Amount of items one can place on the market is already limited, I don't see why we couldn't have a system which would let creators add selected items permanently or at least for much longer periods of time and make them auto-duplicate whenever someone buys them, getting rid of the need for the seller to manually re-add an item once it is sold.

Inventory has no excuse. Everyone is forced to use the mail for holding items, because inventory has some ridiculous space limitations which would make perfect sense, considering that the game is f2p, but it appalls me that people paying 10$/mo are dealing with the same nonsense. Increase inventory space for premium users, sell it on armas, make mails with items expire within a month or three, just do something about this, it feels like the game is in alpha.

I'm not expectant abou this, but naturally with returned interest in the game, caring has returned as well. I want to be hopeful about the new developer caring to improve the game, but until I see them taking any steps in that direction, I won't believe they have any intentions other than to make some profit off this disintegrating carcass of a game.

Modifying some weapon stats and player to player trading system isn't game improvement, while issues like the ones mentioned above and many many more are not looked at, btw.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For the shotguns Matt said that they take full responsibility for the buff and thst they will fix that ASAP, as for the marketplace goes its to prevent people putting items that nobody will buy and the stop playing the game, i would rather put items every 24h then to have to search through pages of useless stuff to find something i need, and as the mods go i would suggest you if you already have that many mods, why don't you put them on your weapons and store them there, that way you wouldn't need to search for certain mod and you won't have to waste time searching.

23 minutes ago, Deathshow99 said:

For the shotguns Matt said that they take full responsibility for the buff and thst they will fix that ASAP, as for the marketplace goes its to prevent people putting items that nobody will buy and the stop playing the game, i would rather put items every 24h then to have to search through pages of useless stuff to find something i need, and as the mods go i would suggest you if you already have that many mods, why don't you put them on your weapons and store them there, that way you wouldn't need to search for certain mod and you won't have to waste time searching.

G1 mentioned working on a complete UI overhaul, which this game desperately needs, only to later never be mentioned again. Changes in UI is hopefully what would improve marketplace experience and prevent what you're worried by- searching through pages of useless stuff. Asking to make auctions literally permanent is unreasonable, I agree, but a month or three makes sense, in my opinion, assuming better sorting and searching options would be implemented.

As for what I can do on my part to make modification management more convenient, I shouldn't have to. To elaborate, I have somewhere around let's say 20 permanent weapons, all fully modded and that doesn't at all change the fact that when I want to change a single modification, I'm forced to go into a primitive window of 100 randomly sorted modifications, to find the 1 I need. Make identical modifications stack, give me options to sort by name, level, color/type, let me use a text search. Is that too much to ask for a game that has been running for 8 years? Edited by kukki
  • Like 1

I hate the mod issue so much, I just keep all of my weapons fully modded at all times, vehicles too.
Its bad enough finding the right weapon even with the drop down menu, but add mods to that mess? No thanks.

Edited by CookiePuss

6 minutes ago, kukki said:
G1 mentioned working on a complete UI overhaul, which this game desperately needs, only to later never be mentioned again. Changes in UI is hopefully what would improve marketplace experience and prevent what you're worried by- searching through pages of useless stuff. Asking to make auctions literally permanent is unreasonable, I agree, but a month or three makes sense, in my opinion, assuming better sorting and searching options would be implemented.

As for what I can do on my part to make modification management more convenient, I shouldn't have to. To elaborate, I have somewhere around let's say 20 permanent weapons, all fully modded and that doesn't at all change the fact that when I want to change a single modification, I'm forced to go into a primitive window of 100 randomly sorted modifications, to find the 1 I need. Make identical modifications stack, give me options to sort by name, level, color/type, let me use a text search. Is that too much to ask for a game that has been running for 8 years?
Well the game currently has bigger issues and needs then what you are asking, first we need a new engine and new net code

1 minute ago, Deathshow99 said:
9 minutes ago, kukki said:

As for what I can do on my part to make modification management more convenient, I shouldn't have to. To elaborate, I have somewhere around let's say 20 permanent weapons, all fully modded and that doesn't at all change the fact that when I want to change a single modification, I'm forced to go into a primitive window of 100 randomly sorted modifications, to find the 1 I need. Make identical modifications stack, give me options to sort by name, level, color/type, let me use a text search. Is that too much to ask for a game that has been running for 8 years?
Well the game currently has bigger issues and needs then what you are asking, first we need a new engine and new net code

Of course, it does, and it had for years! But is it even rational discussing how to better prioritize which issues should be taken care of first, or rather which several should be worked on at the same time by separate teams, when there isn't even any talk of working on those issues altogether?

I'd even be cool with it if they sorted mods by color tbh.  Anything is better than what we have now.  Like you said in your post above mine, prioritization really isn't up to us in the first place, so it's good to bring the issues to light no matter what priority they should be.  It's all up to Little Orbit.  The nice part about their backlog of content is that they can release new items without taking any time away from fixing issues.  Matt said that they have a ton of content at the 90% completion mark that G1 had been working on before they went dark.  The Showstopper was one of those items.  The new player to player trading system is to finally put an end to scamming, so this will benefit stupid players at least, and it'll just make it easier than putting an item on the market for one specific person.  It's more of a quality of life improvement and I think that in itself is worth it.  It's by no means a major improvement but it's nice at least.
  It is a very good idea to bring issues like yours to light though, since this company is new to the game so they might not know about some of the long standing issues that have been plaguing APB for years.  But they knew that cheaters were a problem, so they implemented BattleEye and it has improved the experience amazingly.  I'm not someone who will hackusate someone just because I lost, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it seriously got baaaaad with the blatants right before LO took over.  It's funny though, seeing previously god-tier players now at a slightly above average skill level.  Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything you said in the first post, these are some big issues that should be looked into.  Though I think a week for marketplace listings would be a good limit.  1-3 months seems a bit extreme and could probably get really cluttered really quickly.  24 hours is definitely too short though.

Welcome back by the way 🙂 

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

I'd even be cool with it if they sorted mods by color tbh.  Anything is better than what we have now.  Like you said in your post above mine, prioritization really isn't up to us in the first place, so it's good to bring the issues to light no matter what priority they should be.  It's all up to Little Orbit.  The nice part about their backlog of content is that they can release new items without taking any time away from fixing issues.  Matt said that they have a ton of content at the 90% completion mark that G1 had been working on before they went dark.  The Showstopper was one of those items.  The new player to player trading system is to finally put an end to scamming, so this will benefit stupid players at least, and it'll just make it easier than putting an item on the market for one specific person.  It's more of a quality of life improvement and I think that in itself is worth it.  It's by no means a major improvement but it's nice at least.
  It is a very good idea to bring issues like yours to light though, since this company is new to the game so they might not know about some of the long standing issues that have been plaguing APB for years.  But they knew that cheaters were a problem, so they implemented BattleEye and it has improved the experience amazingly.  I'm not someone who will hackusate someone just because I lost, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it seriously got baaaaad with the blatants right before LO took over.  It's funny though, seeing previously god-tier players now at a slightly above average skill level.  Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything you said in the first post, these are some big issues that should be looked into.  Though I think a week for marketplace listings would be a good limit.  1-3 months seems a bit extreme and could probably get really cluttered really quickly.  24 hours is definitely too short though.

Great post, helped me put some things into perspective. I've already managed to get a wrong impression about what LO is doing instead of what they could be doing, without considering that these small changes have been already close to implementation under G1. Thus no hard feelings towards LO for implementing something I see no value in, yet also no compliments for lack of promises on things this game needed since the beginning. We'll have to wait and see.

51 minutes ago, kukki said:
Great post, helped me put some things into perspective. I've already managed to get a wrong impression about what LO is doing instead of what they could be doing, without considering that these small changes have been already close to implementation under G1. Thus no hard feelings towards LO for implementing something I see no value in, yet also no compliments for lack of promises on things this game needed since the beginning. We'll have to wait and see.
Thanks :3  but I should probably also mention that this is LO's first online game.  Up until now they've only really made kid friendly licensed games for Cartoon Network and Disney, but they bought APB because they wanted to break away from that, and they could see APB was suffering and wanted to help it.  They also made it clear that the "kid friendly" thing is not something that they are ever gonna push onto APB.  That being said they have absorbed the old G1 staff too, and said that they're trying to get some devs from RealTime Worlds hired as well, so they do have people there that know APB well.  They also have a 2nd team in Australia that is working on rebuilding APB entirely from the ground up in Unreal 4 to resolve the spaghetti code issue once and for all.  But it'll be a long while before that's ready, right now their main team in the US is fixing the game's infrastructure and getting the 3.5 engine update finished.  They had a couple of little fumbles so far like the shotgun balance and a few network issues, but nowhere near G1 level failures.  They didn't release a patch that halved the community yet!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:
... they could see APB was suffering and wanted to help it.
help it die, you mean? 😄

4 minutes ago, kukki said:
help it die, you mean? 😄
I think of them as Chemo 😛
There's a chance the treatment can kill you, but the intent is to cure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrandonBranderson said:
I think of them as Chemo 😛
There's a chance the treatment can kill you, but the intent is to cure.

spot on analogy

Improvements to the player trading system are close to being released, and they have indeed stated that they're working towards improvement as far as the engine upgrade goes.
You need to remember that LO JUST took over the game. They've already started doing things like weapon re-balances as you've noticed with the shotguns. (mind you this is not the end, and they plan to make changes in the future dealing with that)
Being in a similar situation of returning to the game after several years of hiatus, I understand your frustration.  
Just think though...  After the few months of owning the game, LO has already made more improvements than the original G1 team did in the course of several years. 
Give them time.  
#soontm

1 hour ago, TrinityFSB said:

Just think though...  After the few months of owning the game, LO has already made more improvements than the original G1 team did in the course of several years. 
#soontm

I understand giving them time, but I don't see what you mean when you say that ^

On 7/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, BXNNXD said:
apparently we do

in no particular order, LO pros:
-communicated openly, honestly, and frequently
-added battleye
-fixed fairfights unreliable configuration
-unbanned people who were falsely banned
-lowered g1c prices
-gave out free premium
-fixed the net code issues for some people
-added new weapon
-expanded the JT store 
-weapon rebalance

LO negatives:
-caused netcode issues in the first place
-unbanned some people who cheated
-weapon rebalance 

since i’m too lazy to rewrite it

also here’s things orbit have given us solid info on but haven’t gotten to yet
-trade system
-engine upgrade
-matchmaking
-threat rework
-new game mode
-new vehicle 

16 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

in no particular order, LO pros:
-communicated openly, honestly, and frequently
-added battleye
-fixed fairfights unreliable configuration

-unbanned people who were falsely banned
-lowered g1c prices
-gave out free premium

-fixed the net code issues for some people
-added new weapon
-expanded the JT store 
-weapon rebalance

LO negatives:
-caused netcode issues in the first place
-unbanned some people who cheated
-weapon rebalance 
since i’m too lazy to rewrite it

also here’s things orbit have given us solid info on but haven’t gotten to yet
-trade system
-engine upgrade
-matchmaking
-threat rework
-new game mode
-new vehicle 
It's not that I wasn't following what they've done, it's that from my perspective, what they've done so far isn't much at all. I'd like to break this down.
These things aren't something G1 wasn't capable of doing. These specific things are likely also what G1 was in the progress of completing when LO took over, this isn't something new guys achieved within first days on the job. Part of the old G1 is now LO.
These things are marketing tricks and features unconnected to quality of the game. G1 did these things all the time. I remember receiving free premium several times a year, buying armas items mostly during sales only, which were active several times a year too. They've also added new content and the new weapon isn't solely a LO achievement and neither is JT store.
Now unbanning people, innocent and guilty alike, is just a questionable play, you've yourself noted as both a pro and a con.

These arguments are questionable. I remember G1 communicating openly, honestly and frequently, at the beginning. Or that's at least what they've managed to make us think. There were blog and forums posts, I was expectant. I don't know of the netcode issue changes, but from what you've written, I gather they've cause it and then managed to fix it for some people only? That sounds like a massive problem.

As for things LO has given us solid info on.

Trade system- I think, don't quote me on that, this was supposed to be a part of a much larger UI update which G1 was supposedly working on for maybe years even, or failed to, but it was something they've talked about. And now seeing a small trading system change implemented without anything else with it, makes me thing that whatever G1 was working on is being scrapped and only part of the planned features are being implemented.
Engine upgrade- this is the greatest meme in G1's history. I no longer have the actual dates, but I can give you approximations. In perhaps 2013 G1 first mentioned that they're working on it and even promised it to be out within a year. Then probably 2 years later made a blog post about how much more difficult than they've expected it is and that it may take a little longer. Eventually so much time passed and so little about it has been shared, that it seemed that it's something they've simply stopped working on and possibly- they have. I really doubt this is something that has been worked on for 4, 6, or 8 years and hasn't been completed. To hear another mention of the upgrade, whether it's from G1 or LO, is just comical at this point. They've just taken the dirty stick in this relay race down the spiral to unknown.
-matchmaking
-threat rework
-new game mode
-new vehicle 

G1 literally did all of these things. And what LO is changing on these topics are most undoubtedly is something they are continuing off what G1 have already worked on, with some of the people that have been working on it. Matchmaking and threat rework don't sound very promising when they're mentioned as obscurely as G1 have in the past, though. And mentions of these things, over other large issues with the game makes me feel like, as with G1, they're not necessarily prioritizing on the right things, or in the right order.

So to break this all down, I don't see what good things LO are currently doing or talk about planning on doing, that G1 weren't doing in their time. And the things that they are talking about, are not something they've come up with after taking over from this "evil bad guy G1", it's actually continuing the relay race that the G1 started. This came out quite long, but it sums up my view on why imo there are no good reasons to be unreasonably expectant about this being much different than G1. Being hopeful is fine, let's be hopeful, but let's learn from our past errors in judgement and let's try being a little bit more rational.  Edited by kukki
typos

6 minutes ago, kukki said:
These things aren't something G1 wasn't capable of doing. These specific things are likely also what G1 was in the progress of completing when LO took over, this isn't something new guys achieved within first days on the job. Part of the old G1 is now LO.
if g1 wasnt capable of doing it then having old g1 staff wouldnt have any bearing

i wont comment on ff and battleye since those additions both revolve around money and we have no concrete figures, but i doubt g1 was working on the anticheat at all when orbit took over

weapon rebalance is something that g1 could and did do (mostly wrong imo) several times in the past

9 minutes ago, kukki said:
These things are marketing tricks and features unconnected to quality of the game. G1 did these things all the time. I remember receiving free premium several times a year, buying armas items mostly during sales only, which were active several times a year too. They've also added new content and the new weapon isn't solely a LO achievement and neither is JT store.
Now unbanning people, innocent and guilty alike, is just a questionable play, you've yourself noted as both a pro and a con.
i wont argue that they were marketing tricks, but free premium and cheaper weapons both affect gameplay, and the armas price decrease is something players have been asking after for years

the new weapon was pushed out by orbit and imo that means they get most of the credit regardless of who actually created what, i feel this way about g1 releasing rtw stuff as well

the JT store was very clearly abandoned by g1, and orbit has put a good first step here adding more weapons with more slots, which is why its on the list

20 minutes ago, kukki said:
These arguments are questionable. I remember G1 communicating openly, honestly and frequently, at the beginning. Or that's at least what they've managed to make us think. There were blog and forums posts, I was expectant. I don't know of the netcode issue changes, but from what you've written, I gather they've cause it and then managed to fix it for some people only? That sounds like a massive problem.
i wasnt very involved with the community at the very beginning but once i was i remember most of the blog posts - aside from the ones related to armas - mostly discussing pretty broad and ambitious things the ceo wanted to do but seemingly without much thought put into them

apb has always had issues and LO was attempting a fix that backfired, theyve managed to fix it since instead of simply ignoring it and blaming ddosing like g1 usually did, which is why i put it on the list

27 minutes ago, kukki said:
Trade system- I think, don't quote me on that, this was supposed to be a part of a much larger UI update which G1 was supposedly working on for maybe years even, or failed to, but it was something they've talked about. And now seeing a small trading system change implemented without anything else with it, makes me thing that whatever G1 was working on is being scrapped and only part of the planned features are being implemented.
trading was one of the broad and ambitious blog posts mentioned above, the UI update was implemented halfway and abandoned (arguably impacting performance worse than if it never happened at all)

orbit has given us pretty precise info on how it works, theyve shown us screenshots, and they have a tentative date set for addition

32 minutes ago, kukki said:
Engine upgrade- this is the greatest meme in G1's history. I no longer have the actual dates, but I can give you approximations. In perhaps 2013 G1 first mentioned that they're working on it and even promised it to be out within a year. Then probably 2 years later made a blog post about how much more difficult than they've expected it is and that it may take a little longer. Eventually so much time passed and so little about it has been shared, that it seemed that it's something they've simply stopped working on and possibly- they have. I really doubt this is something that has been worked on for 4, 6, or 8 years and hasn't been completed. To hear another mention of the upgrade, whether it's from G1 or LO, is just comical at this point. They've just taken the dirty stick in this relay race down the spiral to unknown.
regardless of how much of a meme it is, its something thats necessary for the game to undergo any truly significant changes

as you point out, there has been so little info shared, but id say orbit has given us an equal amount in 4 months to what g1 gave us in 4 years - a good start imo

8 hours ago, kukki said:
-matchmaking
-threat rework
-new game mode
-new vehicle 

G1 literally did all of these things. And what LO is changing on these topics are most undoubtedly is something they are continuing off what G1 have already worked on, with some of the people that have been working on it. Matchmaking and threat rework don't sound very promising when they're mentioned as obscurely as G1 have in the past, though. 
matchmaking and threat reworks may have been done to the best of g1's ability but imo they werent done right, we've gotten solid confirmation on exactly what orbit intends for matchmaking altho their plans for threat reworks have been fairly vague

new mode and new vehicle would still be released to players by orbit, which is why i give them most of the credit

8 hours ago, kukki said:

And mentions of these things, over other large issues with the game makes me feel like, as with G1, they're not necessarily prioritizing on the right things, or in the right order.

i see almost all of the games biggest issues mentioned here aside from advertising, many of the overarching issues arent something that can just be fixed immediately so i have no problems with them working on smaller issues in tandem

8 hours ago, kukki said:

So to break this all down, I don't see what good things LO are currently doing or talk about planning on doing, that G1 weren't doing in their time. And the things that they are talk about, are not something they've come up with after taking over from this evil bad guy G1, it's actually continuing the relay race that the G1 started. This came out quite long, but it sums up my view on why imo there are no good reasons to be unreasonably expectant about this being much different than G1. Being hopeful is fine, let's be hopeful, but let's learn from our past errors in judgement and let's try being a little bit more rational. 

my opinion is that while orbit isnt necessarily doing anything groundbreaking they are "continuing the relay race" at a vastly accelerated pace compared to g1

i see no reason not to hope orbit can keep to the pattern

5 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
  my opinion is that while orbit isnt necessarily doing anything groundbreaking they are "continuing the relay race" at a vastly accelerated pace compared to g1

I can agree with you that what LO is doing right now is more than what G1 were doing before LO took over. I remain hopeful, but sceptical.

Need more of your themes. The ones I have are getting dull by now.

Welcome back :p

Edited by GhosT
auto-emoji workaround

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

Welcome back 😛

Thank you for talking about the things that matter. I'm updating my old themes and making new ones. If you see a theme you own, which is now improved, on the market, just mail me the old one and I'll get you covered.

5 minutes ago, kukki said:
10 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Welcome back 😛

Thank you for talking about the things that matter. I'm updating my old themes and making new ones. If you see a theme you own, which is now improved, on the market, just mail me the old one and I'll get you covered.

But I like all my old ones. Don't want to lose em!

2 minutes ago, GhosT said:

But I like all my old ones. Don't want to lose em!
You can keep both versions. Might not even come to that, though, most of the older themes I just discontinue instead of updating them.

5 hours ago, kukki said:
5 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

I can agree with you that what LO is doing right now is more than what G1 were doing before LO took over. I remain hopeful, but sceptical.
It's nice to see a veteran being vocal
Apb is clearly far from perfect hence it is wonderful to see you highlighting some of its less looked upon issues

Unfortunately that isn't going to simply bring apb back to life via fixing some Quality of life issues but it is definitely important
 What i believe little orbit is doing from a business perspective is waiting until the engine upgrade before advertising in order to have something more presentable
  and in the meantime working on fixing up the games basic structure 
 Now as for when will they advertise? Will it be either unreal 3.5 or 4.0? i suspect they will probably advertise 4.0 considering they've yet to address things relative to new players

obviously i would love to see the game with more population upon the release of 3.5 but i suspect they are aiming for a bit into the future
          Unreal 4.0 can look really good if done relatively well which is what i suspect they are betting upon

Regardless this is just me being hopeful i'm well aware of how long we have been waiting for this "engine upgrade"
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spaghettio said:
It's nice to see a veteran being vocal
Apb is clearly far from perfect hence it is wonderful to see you highlighting some of its less looked upon issues

Unfortunately that isn't going to simply bring apb back to life via fixing some Quality of life issues but it is definitely important
 What i believe little orbit is doing from a business perspective is waiting until the engine upgrade before advertising in order to have something more presentable
  and in the meantime working on fixing up the games basic structure 
 Now as for when will they advertise? Will it be either unreal 3.5 or 4.0? i suspect they will probably advertise 4.0 considering they've yet to address things relative to new players

obviously i would love to see the game with more population upon the release of 3.5 but i suspect they are aiming for a bit into the future
          Unreal 4.0 can look really good if done relatively well which is what i suspect they are betting upon

Regardless this is just me being hopeful i'm well aware of how long we have been waiting for this "engine upgrade"
IIRC, G1 mentioned that we wouldn't notice any difference in-game after the upgrade. It would enable devs to more effectively work on fixing stuff and implementing new, though.