32 replies to this topic

Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

APB, at its core, is repetitive as hell. Same 2 action districts, same missions, same guns just with different skins, and zero new content in the last 3+ years. Not to mention how crappy the servers are. Disconnects, lag, DDOS attacks, and then throw hackers into the mix. Even the most patient person is bound to eventually say..."enough" and quit. And many have. But they come back. And then there are the hardcore players who are logged in for hours every single day and have played this way for years. Why?

Edited by Harley Quinn, 08 February 2018 - 11:03 PM.

Be a good girl. Take your pills. 

AsgerLund

AsgerLund

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3509 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

The community.

K9rZD.gif

69tZxRU.jpg 

Hedgei

Hedgei

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 18-November 16

Literally if you stopped playing for one week or so, your perspective shifts on the game traumatically. You can really see how bad the situation is with the game and you can pretty much tell yourself "yeah I can't believe I've spent xxxx hours on this game w t f is wrong with me lmao".

Based on scientific research: The chronic use of APB can be considered highly addictive with a high potential for abuse and is capable of causing psychological dependence among certain users. When addiction has developed, cravings and withdrawal effects may occur if a person suddenly stops their usage. 

Tolerance to many of the effects of this game develops with prolonged and repeated use. This results in users having to play increasingly long hours to achieve the same effects. After that, it takes about 3 - 7 days for the tolerance to be reduced to half and 1 - 2 weeks to be back at baseline (in the absence of further gameplay). 

In reality though, it's because the game has a unique design that isn't really available even with the games we have now. It's horrendous game play, awful spots, etc is what makes it something we really can't find anywhere else. 

Edited by Hedgei, 08 February 2018 - 11:24 PM.

Diabetes

Diabetes

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined 18-January 14

reasons why im playing the game is the really good customization system (premium needed so it wont suck)

and ofc friends/clan, but ive got neither so just the customization and the abington towers is kinda fun while talking to other friends that dont play the game.

ps. sorry for bad england

W6io2D6.jpg
                       76561198036235656.pngAddFriend.png

pointy

pointy

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14

Good question, i always wanted to discuss about this.

From my point of view its mainly for keeping the image and being able to express yourself, and it lets you make things that are popular in real world. Since in APB players make their own content, even if there arent updates you can still make your own new outfits, themes, cars, symbols that follow the current real world trends, or older ones that you like.

I've lost count how many times i've heard a song or seen a picture/symbol/outfit and thought, dang i gotta have that thing in APB and show it off to everybody, they'll be so jelly and want it too.

If you wanted a game that follows trends, memes and others, and a playerbase too, this game lets you do that. Its also attractive to people like furries, trolls and other misfits who can easily be what they want here. The game lets you be truly unique, although only few people are.

Now consider that you are a good player, you are basically forcing your image onto other people. And if you aren't, you'll try to become better. If you are really good some will look up to you and even try to copy you. Thats the interesting part, being a trendsetter. It lets you be better than someone by more ways than just being a good player.

Imagine getting killed by someone in MMORPG for example, and see them wearing expensive outfit, its a nice outfit maybe, but everyone can get it more or less, and even if you do you get bored with it fast, you still arent unique, you just seem richer. But in APB if you see someone wearing a good outfit, you might want it too, but its unobtainable unless you practice to become a good designer or ask the player himself.

And even if you ignore the whole dressing/expressing barbie part, there are good chill gameplay modes like Fight Club, where you can easily play mindlessly and have fun. And even there if you are good player you are still making a name for yourself, because you keep seeing same players over and over. Small but dedicated playerbase is one of the key features of this game as well. This game also has very enjoyable gunplay, which motivated me to play more and keep playing. Some people also have bad time quitting APB considering how much money/hours they've spent and dont wanna quit it so easily, thats why some are begging for game's closure i guess, because its very hard to truly quit this and even people who force ban themselves come back eventually.

But in the end, there is no other game like APB. There are some games that can barely touch it by design, but still nothing is close.

Edited by fnqnaqybarylfanxr, 09 February 2018 - 02:04 AM.

NSrMGab.png

Very bad at names and pretty much everything else

Looking for premium to make dozens of anime and edgy symbols

NSFWorkshop

NSFWorkshop

Initiate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 27-October 17

Most definitely the creativity is what keeps me playing. I actually believe the community is worse than G1, and I know majority of people will disagree.
I look at the negatives and positives while playing APB to this day and feel like community is what keeps me aggravated towards APB. 
Hackers - community
Ddosers - community
Toxic people - community
Trolls who literally sit in social all day just being absolute cheeky coons (luxy) - community
Scammers - community 

No new engine (idgaf about it - no problem with the engine we have now) - g1
Warping around time to time (didnt use to happen awhile back for me) - g1
No trade system to avoid scammers - g1's fault kind of for being lazy
Random exploding when love tapping objects - g1

It's rather quite frustrating hearing people call APB a shlt game that was made back in who knows what now (years ago), and then you got  PUBG "the worlds like most trending game".... and it runs like a hamster at its power source. In the year 2017, and sure the die hard fans will say "Early access though"...BRO what game isn't early access in today's day and age lmfao... it's like no one releases a full release game anymore.

Back to APB though... for the most part the game is playable without this "glorious" engine upgrade everyone wants so damn badly.

Gameplay can be repetitive, but there is something about kicking patootie as your own personal character, and the killing feels very satisfying in my opinion.

Edited by NSFWorkshop, 09 February 2018 - 02:02 AM.

ENZ72Xj.png

Bambola

Bambola

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

Stockholm syndrome, pseudo-love.

XaMA1nH.jpg

~Living in a world of smart phones and stupid people~

ChangeNameToZombieBiscuitForBan

ChangeNameToZombieBiscuitForBan

Novice

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 14-January 18

Nothing else like it (for a multitude of reasons, not just the game directly).

If something else came along like it I would be out of here in a flash.

pzWF63K.png

(Click for cookies)

Szambi

Szambi

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4197 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14

One of a kind.

AMYoVUC.png

God dammit!

xWhitey

xWhitey

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 09-March 13

For me it was how rewarding the gunplay was. No headshots meant you had to keep going 'til that other player was dead/stunned/arrested/whatever. Really eliminates the randomness of gunfights most games have nowadays.

As someone who hasn't really paid any attention to this game for the past 2 years it just saddens me that the potential of this game has been wasted.

What even is a signature

WhiteCandy - Jericho - Crim
Kyandi - Jericho - Enf

HenryH

HenryH

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 15-January 18

APB, at its core, is repetitive as hell.

I don't know what other genre games do you play, there is nothing more repetitive than all those generic tps/fps games in small closed maps. 

Open world aspect and good gameplay mechnics along with good customization features are great. Honestly to me this game started to become boring after maxing out 2 characters enf and crim, most roles (I had all chrome skins unlocked) on main character and had all legendaries I wanted at the time.

Now of course all my nearly 6 years of hard earned progress is gone due to being wrongly banned, regardless what caused it in the first place. If i knew that it was false, I wouldn't be here and playing this game.

AlexandraTromp

AlexandraTromp

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7246 posts
  • Joined 28-April 11

Without the people in my clan I would have prolly stopped back in 2013 instead of 2016. 

Now I'm playing Mechwarrior online and have my own unit filled up with American Asgerlunds! :P

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

warthog

warthog

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11

The customization and social aspects are reasons for some but for me it has to be the gameplay. The third person mechanics are honestly the best feeling ones I have tried. It doesn't feel laggy like most games and opens up a unique playstyle around corners and such. The way the game flows also rewards so much map awareness and knowledge. The mix or strategy and skill needed is really fun for me. This is the one game where I can really predict where people will be and I get rewarded heavily for it.

Szambi

Szambi

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4197 posts
  • Joined 18-June 14

Without the people in my clan I would have prolly stopped back in 2013 instead of 2016. 

Now I'm playing Mechwarrior online and have my own unit filled up with American Asgerlunds! :P

COME BACK TO THIS CANCER GAEM! #MAKEMIDGARDGREATAGAIN

AMYoVUC.png

God dammit!

NatTurner

NatTurner

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 16-January 13
Addicted. There’s nothing more satisfying for me.

Someones always gotta complain about something

Welcome to the APB forums.

CookiePuss

CookiePuss

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Joined 07-April 17
like a fly to a flame

Stop f'ing around with focus groups, and fire the marketing suits and hire some good, competent developers and people with vision. Unfortunately at this point I think it is too late. No one trusts you anymore SOE and their experiences here WILL likely make them think twice about trying other SOE games. I know for myself I will NEVER play another SOE title. Sincerely, someone who loved what once was, -Tiggs

AlexandraTromp

AlexandraTromp

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7246 posts
  • Joined 28-April 11

COME BACK TO THIS CANCER GAEM! #MAKEMIDGARDGREATAGAIN

Just join me in mechwarrior and enjoy all the asger clones. :P

Bambola

Bambola

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

Sorry, but...

pbXewJq.gif

XaMA1nH.jpg

~Living in a world of smart phones and stupid people~

LAPDAlonso

LAPDAlonso

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 17-May 13

APB was addictive back in 2010-2012, started to go down hill after the old threat system was removed which i think was in early 2013, but i forget the patch number. To answer your question, well at this point nothing. I know everytime i come back, i get bored after a few matches and most of the time I'm just sitting at the gas station listening to music. Getting in a dump truck was fun, but now that's boring. I guess sometimes i come back just to see if any colby players are online, and then i realized there is none.

But considering that i do plan to come back soon, i just come back to use up my premium, which makes the game a bit more fun. There's nothing really exciting about this game anymore. After playing saints row 3 and 4, hellgate london, those are my 3 main games for customization and fun.

AlexandraTromp

AlexandraTromp

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7246 posts
  • Joined 28-April 11

Sorry, but...

pbXewJq.gif

Well you can paint your Mech, put some patterns on it, and even make a silly face on it. :P

And of course the decals!

PS: soon you can even wear hats lol.

Progeekzy

Progeekzy

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2204 posts
  • Joined 14-October 13

Because it is truly a unique one of a kind game. 

You stop playing world of warcraft, MMORPGS are a dime a dozen. 
League of legends, mobas are everywhere. 
New arena shooters come out all the time. 

An open world cops and robbers shooter thats not pay to win and free to play with all the customization APB has? Not many options out there. 

Drink up. Shoot in. Let the beatings begin. Distributor of pain. Your loss becomes my gain. Anger. Misery. You’ll suffer unto me. Harvester of sorrow. Language of the mad. Harvester of sorrow. All have said their prayers. Invade their nightmares.
To see into my eyes. You’ll find where murder lies.

e963b_metallica_loo.png

AsgerLund

AsgerLund

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3509 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Don’t get bamboozled by any clones...

69tZxRU.jpg 

Wolf1337

Wolf1337

Initiate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 18-January 15

+1

Sorry, but...

pbXewJq.gif

YES

VickyFox

VickyFox

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Joined 16-August 11

What is addicting is to me is that each game presents a new challenge, maybe same objectives and targets but with a varied range of guns, vehicles, mods and play style, no 2 games are ever the same.

Unique selling points I would say are obviously the generous customisation and creative tools in game compared to other games.

Also while there is a attempt of threat segregation and match making, The multiplayer aspect is mixed and is unpredictable. Other games you typically get a fixed match set, in APB you may put on a mission solo against a team of 3 players, the next game may be a 1 v 1 and then a 4 v 4.

While you can learn all the guns, mods, cars and map, what objectives, locations, team and opponents you get remains unpredictable.

Bambola posted in a Gif that you can't dress up a bad game, But I disagree that it's a bad game...

It's a brilliant game in concept but was released under bad circumstances business wise, and then was bought out by a company which has questionable outlooks within the eyes of their playerbase.

I love APB for what it is but I just wish there was more staff for more and better content, as well as a owner which is more willing to engage with the community and take on board their feedback without fear of being trolled. If you do the job right then you're not going to have many people pissed off, trolling and mocking you, but then again one cannot please all the people all of the time.

...what was I talking about? I think i got side tracked...

| VickyFox | Colby TB - NA | Enforcer | enforcer_gold_250.png | Cop Rank: 15 | Threat: Gold | Rank: 255 |

76561198064842306.png

LittleRuby

LittleRuby

Initiate

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 27-November 15

The Customization.

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13

The combat keeps me playing. I think it's the slower pace of the game compared to most shooters which leads to a lot of mindgames/strategy as well as fun little tactics that keep it fresh and interesting. No other game has held my interest in this area for as long as APB, as unbalanced as it may be on occasion.

UpholdThePeace / Lorelai / Wiley

Rapid99

Rapid99

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2924 posts
  • Joined 15-January 11

Memories, really.

I haven't played in a year or two, but the only reason I love the game so much is the memories it gave me leading up to initial release, the friends I made and people I met in-game, its first shut down, its relaunch, the forum contests and events, all of that.

It was a great experience as a whole, and the game itself was a fun experience, regardless of the actual problems in the game.

It was (and still somewhat is) pretty different, and unique.

And now i'm forced to watch it be chained up in some man-child's basement while it slowly bleeds to death, and the man-child collects its blood to sell off to a bunch of masochistic addicts in order to garner a minor profit; draining every last penny out of it until it finally dies. It could be patched up with some basic first aid, given some simple care and attention in order to provide for a number of years down the line... but its just so much easier to do it this way. 

You sick f*cks.

Posted Image

MonteJr

MonteJr

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • Joined 29-March 11

Memories, really.

I haven't played in a year or two, but the only reason I love the game so much is the memories it gave me leading up to initial release, the friends I made and people I met in-game, its first shut down, its relaunch, the forum contests and events, all of that.

It was a great experience as a whole, and the game itself was a fun experience, regardless of the actual problems in the game.

It was (and still somewhat is) pretty different, and unique.

And now i'm forced to watch it be chained up in some man-child's basement while it slowly bleeds to death, and the man-child collects its blood to sell off to a bunch of masochistic addicts in order to garner a minor profit; draining every last penny out of it until it finally dies. It could be patched up with some basic first aid, given some simple care and attention in order to provide for a number of years down the line... but its just so much easier to do it this way. 

You sick f*cks.

Can agree, I've met SO many people that I never would have in other games. The social aspects and the customization are still like no other.

While there are dated parts, the game has still kept its ability to design and express which many games limited you. I've been playing Tera, and games like that put a HUGE price-tag on looking good, while here, it's mostly free.

That and just so, so, so many meme-ories with the fun times we all had.

Aimbotter: "Which hack do you use? Your's is better than mine"

Stranger: "Monte giving away nanos in Social!"
Me: "I am?"
Stranger: "Oh S---!"

CookiePuss

CookiePuss

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Joined 07-April 17

I have no idea.

But I cannot quit, that's for sure.

Stop f'ing around with focus groups, and fire the marketing suits and hire some good, competent developers and people with vision. Unfortunately at this point I think it is too late. No one trusts you anymore SOE and their experiences here WILL likely make them think twice about trying other SOE games. I know for myself I will NEVER play another SOE title. Sincerely, someone who loved what once was, -Tiggs

LilyV3

LilyV3

You're being trolled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18419 posts
  • Joined 21-August 12

as repetitive as the gameplay is, the changign areas weapon combinations and teamcombinations make a great deal of uniquness to happen for the missions. Also, variable spawns. unlike 247/dust_de where evryone starts at the same location in each match thats another factor making stuff feel unique.

Even wiht the not so nice situaion APB is in, all those hours soent in this game are still a great memory, All i wish si that we get into a 2012/13 situation again. plenty of people, somewhat decent server performance and not too flooded with cheaters (compared to now).

Posted Image
Who is Lily and Honey Lily (ღ˘⌣˘ღ) ♫・*:.。. .。.:*
Check out her Music (different genres): Lily Lily - Burning Night Scarlet Rose Dead End
百合の咲く丘で Sacrifice

Hogen

Hogen

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Joined 05-October 13
running people over with a dumptruck

Yangeline

Yangeline

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 17-July 12

The gunplay, freeplay, customization, and social aspect. 

The gunplay though is something unique that I really enjoy.

IGN: Yangeline - Enforcer Patriot EU2

/kiss

Xegethra

Xegethra

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Joined 08-March 11

Bambola posted in a Gif that you can't dress up a bad game, But I disagree that it's a bad game...

I don't think that was what the GIF meant. I think it was a reply that jokingly says mech warrior has no clothing options, so its bad.

But whatever, I still play from time to time too. Been with it from the get go and just....can't really leave. Like a friend who doesn't and has never played the game said to me once "It's like your crack." Which I suppose it is. I have left many other, better made games and will never go back to those...but this one....I guess I'm with it till either one of us dies first, for reasons people have already mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users