• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Arize

Arize

Initiate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 19-October 16

"Airdrops".... and then weapons will be only on the rooftops.    (I thought about that firstly but it is so popular from other games that i start to vomit).

And hey.... you gave me idea about THE OTHER GOOD NAME with some lore suggestion and possibly design on map.

Well by "airdrops" I really mean special spawns.

How they do it, is depending on RP ofc.

Could just be a special spawn that'll show on the map like with the anarchy event.

Point is, that some weapons SHOULD be rare.. as in RARE.. *cough*hvr*cough*

Edited by Arize, 18 May 2017 - 05:16 AM.

Fleshpound

Fleshpound

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Joined 24-June 14

Well by "airdrops" I really mean special spawns.

How they do it, is depending on RP ofc.

Could just be a special spawn that'll show on the map like with the anarchy event.

Point is, that some weapons SHOULD be rare.. as in RARE.. *cough*hvr*cough*

That is correct.  I would make rifles more common just to make snipers rare.

I would even consider throwing 65% of weapons to be secondary.

We will fight with auto responses by QUOTE AUTO RESPONSE!

Bellenettiel

Bellenettiel

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9765 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Why not?
(...)
Why?

These are really just questions not meant to be objective arguments, so that i can actuality produce a objective answer i guess.

Tho, in the example of player mods, it is mostly because availability and even player field. 

(...)
The answer is almost certainly no.

Nobody asked you your opinion.

I'm 95% sure that's part of the intended strategy and difficulty of the game.

Jesus Kewlin how can you freaking miss the point entirely so flawlessly, its like you randomly felt like reading a single line of the whole thing.

Literally the very first line i said about it, sort of admitted that this was an hypothesis based on what i understand from reading. The point is that there is a slight chance that the map/districts for APB aren't designed for you to run away from a spooky red wall, that spawns in whatever place it feels like.
Resulting in possible instances in which you might be penalized just based on how both it randomly decides to spawn and where you are located currently, which is not a player controlled thing. 

If the map or district in question, that would be used in the event, had more shortcuts and ways to bypass otherwise awful dead end situations, this would be a non-issue. Hell it would be more fun, because you've have more ways of reaching from point A to B.. or even flank campers.

AGAIN, It is a, freaking hypothesis that the event might have unintended crap that can be damaging to the whole "fun and fair event" thing. Not a "oh i don't like running away from the big bad danger zone thing"

Medium Resupply Boxes are already in the game and do exactly what you want, so there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

All you have to do is reduce the ammo in them.

And this is just what irks me the most.
How the hell do you freaking even function, is there like some sort of integrated filter in which you only read whatever is more convenient to you?

That is not the point.
That is completely entirely not the freaking point.

No shit, you could also add ammo boxes placed randomly on the map, except that it would still be an half assed solution in which it would shift from "who ever comes first" advantage, into a glorified crappy camping spot until you replenishment your ammo (without even interacting). Plus some twat could just shoot it for the luls and basically destroy a permanent and limited amount of ammo in the map ruining the game for all of us ever so slightly.

Like seriously it is like you take any sort of argument or discussion as an freaking contest that you've got to win at all costs or else the internet gods will strike you with the butt lightning and make da butt hurt real.

If you got any real suggestions on how to resolve these hypothesis situations i am also fine, if you got suggestions to make it even better.. i am fine too.
But freaking make this a piss fight just because you can't see the problem yourself, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

1uVO6I8.pngxe9son3d.pngxwETgqUG.pngx247ErQH.pngxu77JliO.pngm0gXBtA.png x9hq5r2E.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ✂- - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

...Le Hairstyles Stuff ! x [ somethin kool x [ wts> girlfriends x [ Mystery link, click all buttons to explode ]

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3911 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10

Obviously I can't comment too much on the mechanics since I've not played it yet but try to keep the cars down to a minimum. Not rare but not abundant like it is normally.

Personal cars I will be alright with but again maybe limit the spawning to a timer cooldown or you can only spawn a few.

It will be interesting to see how APB will differ from H1Z1, PUBG and Arma 3 BR.

Edited by Shini, 18 May 2017 - 11:47 AM.

DOsaP8z.png?1
Patriot | Obeya | Joker
gU5R8sY.pnguAHmOP2.pngJHRWB5q.png

Haganu

Haganu

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3677 posts
  • Joined 22-June 14

Aside from lore handling the important thing really is what has been asked about often before in this thread. What will you do about teaming?

In every battle royale it happens on a relatively small scale, and it's a difficult thing to tackle, but the negative nature of this game's playerbase is amplified by quite a bit, as poor decision making the past years has let to a lot of people taking distance from APB, leaving the rotten apples still playing this game.

I expect teaming to relatively be much more frequent in APB than in ARMA III BR, H1Z1: King of the Kill and Playerunknown's Battleground, and I expect that that's going to be the downfall of the gamemode if nothing is going to be done against that. 

Aside from this, there's not much I'm wondering. Just the usual.

airdrops with hvr or euryale Kappa

Edited by Haganu, 18 May 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Lust, Wrath, Envy, Pride, Greed, Gluttony and Sloth

JRavtd5.png

Haganu - Criminal | - - - - - - Symbols by LarsJack on DeviantArt, remade and made bodypaint off of them ingame. - - - - - - | Matoii - Enforcer  

TheLlama

TheLlama

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 14-November 13

Obviously I can't comment too much on the mechanics since I've not played it yet but try to keep the cars down to a minimum. Not rare but not abundant like it is normally.

Personal cars I will be alright with but again maybe limit the spawning to a timer cooldown or you can only spawn a few.

It will be interesting to see how APB will differ from H1Z1, PUBG and Arma 3 BR.

This 100%
And a new weapon balace should be necessary imo (make shotguns great again)
With low % of car spawns there will be interesting mods combinations, not just driving around with smgs killing everyone you see

Edited by Robrecca, 18 May 2017 - 11:54 AM.

fnmod_weapon_coolingjacket3.pngmod_none.png mod_none.pngicon_sniperrifle_hvr243_purple.png       enforcer_green_250.png       icon_ltl_dartgun.png mod_none.png mod_none.png mod_none.png

HardStyler3

HardStyler3

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 22-February 15

well the combat in apb is better then everyone of them so it could be nice xD

I7 4790k @4,5ghz @ 1,2V, 16GB G.Skill 1600mhz, Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8GB, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 

Arize

Arize

Initiate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 19-October 16

well the combat in apb is better then everyone of them so it could be nice xD

Wait what?

084.png

If anything, you can only compare H1Z1 to APB, the rest are wastly different in gameplay and style..

H1Z1 is equally as bad when it comes to hit detection as APB, so there is that..

Caisey

Caisey

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Joined 03-January 12

How do you plan to stop players joining their friends' district and teaming up together?

I think they will turn off groups in the event district.

oxQ7u4V.png

Fleshpound

Fleshpound

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Joined 24-June 14

I think they will turn off groups in the event district.

And make that big sign like in that LMS russian game which says "Teaming in X districts will be resulted in perm ban".   /s

Because they will not read big sign with big letters.

Edited by Fleshpound, 19 May 2017 - 01:00 AM.

We will fight with auto responses by QUOTE AUTO RESPONSE!

Yxmilex

Yxmilex

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Joined 15-October 16

i mean, yeah, its not a brand new concept for a game mode but at least they are trying something new. the real problem i see with this is that they are postponing the engine upgrade for it.

Edited by Yxmilex, 19 May 2017 - 02:41 AM.

thelinux

thelinux

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • Joined 25-December 13

Having suggested a proper survival mode multiple times, I personally approve of the idea.

However, not a big fan of the 'dangerous area' if I'm honest. Would be interesting to know the exact reason for which this was decided.

First thing that came to my mind was: "If you're going to fake other games, why not at least do it properly?" In my humble opinion, all this might do is make things more complex, while keeping it simple is the way to go when developing ingame-events for a wide range of players. Focus on the very basics. As they say in marketing: first things first, second things not at all.

Edited by thelinux, 19 May 2017 - 06:35 AM.

Avair | thelinux | thellinux | imthelinux - Citadel EU

YouTube <> Steam <> Twitch

xf4tg4.png

FireLordA2

FireLordA2

Initiate

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12

It would be cool that there would be random weapons that are scattered around the map so that's the only weapons you'd have to use in this event.

Scotish_Harpy

Scotish_Harpy

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

>mfw APB is trying to turn into a N1Z1/Battlegrounds/whatever clone

1488738682461.jpg

Bellenettiel

Bellenettiel

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9765 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

yeah tho

other modes will still be available

and they sort of admitted that this is just a tryout to see if it works and the community likes

1uVO6I8.pngxe9son3d.pngxwETgqUG.pngx247ErQH.pngxu77JliO.pngm0gXBtA.png x9hq5r2E.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ✂- - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

...Le Hairstyles Stuff ! x [ somethin kool x [ wts> girlfriends x [ Mystery link, click all buttons to explode ]

Androvald

Androvald

APB:R - Programmer

• Reloaded Administrators
  • 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

Hello everyone,

thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I'm going to go through answering questions I can.

how health will be done?
maybe health can only be recovered via Medi sprays? (found in the map?)

I'm worried about the fact its Free for all. Whats going to stop clans from "Meta Grouping"?
Would it be more wise to allow squads because people are going to squad up regardless?

Games like PUBG and H1Z1 have enough physical cover, like trees and houses, and visual cover, like bushes you can hide in.  maybe sprinkle empty shells of cars around the map for cover. some maybe smoking?

Are cars also going to be limited? maybe only set/random spawns for civi cars can be driven, and player cars disabled?
I fear if cars are too easily available they will be too powerful in a game with limited ammo.

Changing the way health works would likely require a re-balance of weapons, which we want to avoid at this time. So initially at least we want to keep that working as it is.

As for grouping up and covering ones back, I don't think it's a terrible idea to allow it. They won't be able to get into a vehicle together, and the system will consider them enemies. A well lobbed grenade may make all their lives more miserable. Also in the end, only one can win. No hunger games scenarios here ;)

We will probably disable civilians and civilian cars. Disabling vehicle deployment is not a bad idea either. With that there are still vehicles parked throughout the city, but they will be a bit harder to find and acquire.

There is generally some good cover outside of the main streets, which would make the main streets a bit of a danger spot to be in and cross. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

While this sounds interesting and all I dont see it catching on.

1. There just arent enough players left playing to warrent a new mode and dist. Something like this will kill off fight club.

2. This event will be highly skill based so anyone who isnt a vet will be killed off first each time and will never get any rewards.

3. Something like this will always be ruined by the hacker pop. Hackers are still a MAJOR issue in APB and with the cheats they will easily roll everybody for top spots.

It is just very bad timing for something like this with the state the game is in. I would suggest reworking an old event like I suggested here http://forums.gamers...anarchy-events/ for now untill these issues are addressed and game pop rises to a point where having new districts wont impact the current ones in a bad way.

This will start out as an event, if there's enough interest in it after a few weeks we can make it permanent, if not we won't. Generally we see more people log in and try out new events when we put them out, so that should help while it is an event.

In order to have the same "feel" as a BR / PUBG game mode, you will need to strongly consider the "resource management' you mentioned in the blog post.  A very weak weapon to start since APB doesn't have melee- something like the blowtorch even, or a snub nose with one or two magazines only- forces players to scatter to find weapons around the world.  Also, having a reasonable minimum distance between player spawns would be nice if you do in fact spawn with a weapon.

It will deploy players throughout the district mostly at random. It will use our mission spawns for this, and assigns at most one player per mission spawn. These generally aren't too close together so it shouldn't be a problem.

Handy Links: Support - Blog - Twitter - Facebook - Admin Tracker*
Do not send me unsolicited support PMs. Thanks.
* Admin tracker maintained by community member. No official admin tracker available.

gogol

gogol

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3451 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

just make sure there's purple things okay

hi i like purple im a vegan and i vape

WDYmX4i.png

4slot nascar)

Aeronaut

Aeronaut

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5174 posts
  • Joined 29-March 11
If you could shoot people inside vehicles, i wouldnt mind vehicles staying enabled. however, we can't and there shouldnt be any vehicles at all. no 'rare' parked spawns either.

especially if you're considering utilizing the 'resource management' mechanic.

Edited by Aeronaut, 19 May 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Androvald

Androvald

• 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

Kempington: Control all elements of the weapon load-out. As nice as I'm sure it'd be to let joe shmoe roll around with this fully kitted N-TEC/ATAC/HVR and his exact choice of secondary, it really doesn't make it fair for newer players who only have a limited weapon pool. By controlling what weapons drop in the game, you can increase the rarity of some weapons (e.g HVR, so it's not a point-and-click survival game) and still make it fair for each participant.
Kewlin: Why is this necessary? You can use all of those guns in the normal game and it's virtually a non-issue, and the STAR is still pretty much top-tier.
Kempington: It's necessary, so players can start off on a level-playing field (you know, like how a battle royale game usually starts), then it's up to the player to find weapons and use them. If you let the players pre-select their weapons, it removes that sense of level playing field for some and it also means you can pre-design your "round" up to the point where the danger zone enters your area, which removes the danger for the most part. But, if you're going in without knowing what weapons you'll find, that makes it more challenging and more of a level playing field, honestly. Also, STAR is good, but you're highly overrating it. Might be the reason why nobody uses it.
Kewlin: Are you implying FC and mission districts aren't a level playing field? Are you implying there isn't danger of dying in missions, FC, or the headless horseman event? Do you "pre-design" missions? You're also forgetting the fact that this event is based just as much on the headless horseman event as battle royale, as well as the fact that Last Man Standing is a long standing gamemode that works fine with the normal resources of a game. And part of me overrating the STAR is. . . well. . . not a thing because the STAR is amazing, but I often appear to overrate it because it's the best weapon for new players since it's extremely easy to use. The STAR was basically designed to be the perfect newbie gun. (Also note how easy it is to unlock other weapons. So please, give me an actual reason the playing field isn't level if you can select weapons.

I'm thinking we can do both. Allow people to pick their loadout before the start, and then lock it. They will be limited in terms of ammo they have to what they can find and not change it once the round starts. Next to that we can put in weapon drops we can give to people with limited ammunition. This way, if you haven't found an ammo pickup, you might still find a weapon you like, or you might find a weapon that is more useful for the situation than the one you have currently. Gives new players the opportunity to try out different weapons too.

Kempington: Ban player owned vehicles. I think this is a no-brainer, but the only vehicles that players should be able to use are the ones that spawn in the city. That way, they won't have the vehicle mods in them to let said player drive around and sit in the car all day, whilst then driving off to a safe corner to blowtorch it back to full health. If there are random vehicles in the map, make sure they're limited and not dumptrucks/bluesteel vans.
Kewlin: I don't see how car mods make much of a difference here, so the only real benefit from owned vehicles is using a pioneer/4x4.
Kempington: So, steel plating 3, armoured engine and nitrous on a pioneer/4x4/t-25/Espacio and literally car gameplay-ing the entire survival round isn't a problem? So, you'd be ok with everyone spawning their vehicles and never getting out of them until the very end, since they can tank all the damage and then use blowtorch when in a safe spot to fix the car? Alright then. Glad to know that you also factored in the part where people can deliberatly setup their vehicles to "pop" into the car when in danger and run away. This isn't a car demolition derby, so why give the option to make it that?
Kewlin: Armored plating makes you slow as gosh darn, armored engine honestly has barely any effect, and nitro is overrated as all hell. You should have mentioned HBF if you wanted to cite a mod that'd be OP. I gave you the fact that using a pioneer, espacio, or 4x4 is an advantage, but you can't "car gameplay" the entire round, 'cause that's virtually a guaranteed loss or tie because of health degen in the final block, not to mention the fact that there's a such thing as grenades and AV. Think of how many cars get destroyed in the headless horseman event, and then realize that the area of this game is restricted. So I'm not going to say that you should be able to spawn cars, because I never even said that in my original response to you, but I really don't think they're a huge issue, and mods certainly aren't the issue; it's the cars that you can spawn that are a potential issue.

I'm in favour of disabling player-spawned as well. But more from a resource limiting perspective. In a way, vehicles are weapons as well, so limiting weapons while not limiting vehicles would not make sense.

Kempington: Ban player mods. May as well make it as much of a level playing field as possible and make it so that no consumables/character mods can be used either. Makes the fights much more risky for participants and forces them to play safer. Plus Clotting Agent 2/3 is more or less the staple character health mod everyone chooses so those without said mod are at a disadvantage in most cases.
Kewlin: Why? All character mods except orange mods, which will likely be disabled no matter what, are sidegrades, and even if you're going to say CA2 is an upgrade how is that different from the normal game? If you think CA2 is OP make a thread about it being a balance issue, not a post about banning it from this event.
Kempington: But this isn't the normal game. I don't know why you keep using that as a baseline for countering suggestions for this gamemode and saying that the rules can apply here as well. You're going to have more angles to watch out from, more people shooting at you at one time and you're saying that your health recovery delay being different from other people is not a direct advantage? Plus, as mentioned above, if you partner up a heavily tanky espacio with blowtorch and have your own CSG/.45 combo already planned out with low-yields from the get go, you can literally car gameplay the entire match, more or less, with no-one being able to stop you, unless multiple people focus fire you down, but they'd have no reason to.
Kewlin: Gee, IDK why I'm basing what I'm saying on the game this is going to be a game mode for. You yourself didn't even give any real reasons why they should be disabled in this mode in particular, you only said some bleeding heart BS about how the newbies wouldn't play as well without CA2/3. I don't know about you, but I generally watch all angles at all time in APB, 'cause I find that a lot of APB is about flanking, and you're gonna' get gosh darned in the butt if you don't watch angles, but IDK, it might be different for you. I seem to remember someone mentioning how you'd have time to get out of your pioneer and fully repair it without anyone attacking you. Note how much more defenseless you are with a blowtorch out than while hiding and regenerating health, especially if we're allowed the grenades you probably want to restrict, (and note how your torch is wasted if you have to swap back to your weapon,) and also note how often in the Headless Horseman event, which had respawns for enemy players, I was fighting 1v1 or 1v2, and unlike Headless Horseman your enemies are afraid of dying and also are afraid of the people flanking you. . . and don't have infinite lives. I don't know about you, but I'm not planning on plopping in the middle of the intersection in front of Double B and battling it out: I'm probably going to be in buildings and mommy, and when you put 70 players in roughly 2km by 2km area, even if it reduces in size, there's a LOT of places you can take cover in. I play fine without CA3, and I don't expect this to be any different. First off, you keep mentioning torch, and I already said I don't think orange mods will be be enabled, and they probably shouldn't be (literally the only orange mod that would make sense to be in the mode is. . . the flag? maybe spotter? I dunno'.) Second. . . what does an espacio. . . CSG. . . 45 (which you'll be able to have probably no matter what, 'cause it's a secondary) or yolos have to do with character mods? In addition, are you saying you've never had a car blown up by a single person? You're acting as if you live in a perfect world where everything goes according to plan, when in reality it's APB and mommy happens to gosh darn with you at some point no matter what in 95% of all missions, and you don't have a second life to fall back on like you normally do here. Also, you keep forgetting that you're going to eventually be driving this car around one block, which makes driving almost a moot point.

There are probably some specific mods we should disable, such as the ammo resuppliers. I'm not convinced all character mods should be disabled.

Kempington: Start of initially with players not having red names above their head (first 10 minutes or so), then have them revealed as the playing field reduces. I'm up in the air with this one, since it's a double-edged sword on both sides. If you don't have player names, then (assuming civilians are still enabled), it can make for some really silly scenarios where players can camp in super dark corners and not be seen. However, if player names are shown, then there's the problem of being able to exploit seeing through walls with the various bugs in the game that allow for this.
Kewlin: Seeing player names through walls is an issue with the entire game, so are you going to suggest we remove them entirely? No, that'd be like making it so you can't lean out of windows with the DoW because it has animation iss. . . oh wait. . . RP actually did that. IMO the game isn't balanced around not being able to see player names, and removing names drastically reduces incentives to have a cool character.

We'll probably use the system where only people making noise or under your reticule show them that we've used for other events in the past.

Kempington: Give incentive. I know this was briefly covered in the blogpost about rewards for the event, but like many others in the game who still play, there should be a unique loot table for continued play of this gamemode. If you have a look at PUBG, they give you credits that you can spend on boxes to give you new cosmetic items to make your character unique. This idea would be great for APB as well, but instead of that, have unique weapons in the loot table for the boxes that you can get from this gamemode, as well as possibly unique clothing items as well. If you just re-use already existing assets in the game that almost everybody already has, then there's no real incentive to play this gamemode and we'll go down the same path as the anarchy district.
Kewlin: I hope you like titles.

Rewards have yet to be determined. But titles and joker tickets are pretty likely at the very least.

* Admin tracker maintained by community member. No official admin tracker available.

Androvald

Androvald

• 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

Alright other than my first impression

Sort of will nitpick some dumb stuff and ask around.

Though to further explain, the above is a problem since, as i assume, you will spawn weapons as in other events, in places where you are either a sitting duck or a sitting duck.

Closed areas, as well as a clean up of the district with more "spots" to put stuff, can be proved important. Adding maybe even extra randomly placed cover objects (like abandoned/ destroyed cars in the middle of the street) can be quite welcomed too.

Closed areas i was suggesting earlier, would be fine, if they were small squares in place of where usually we ram shops. They can be extremely basic too, as long as it has got a bit of cover and enough room to run away from a grenade explosion radius. 

Another thing, i feel that wasn't quite explained and i wish to ask is, how are ammo pick ups going to work? Is it like a floating thing that you just get near and instantly get or are we getting something entirely different?

I will start by explaining why i think this is important, so lets picture this scenario here:

2 players:

• Player 1 and player 3 notice the ammo pick up, but they are being chased down by the other players.
  • Player 1 manages to get rid of the player who was following him, but is further away from the ammo pick up than player 3.
  • Both players are almost out of bullets, although enough to kill each other.
  • Player 3 finally survives the encounter from the chase, but is with less health than player 1.
  • Player 3 reaches to grab instantly the AMMO BOX (or crate, or whatever it is) and just as he grabs the ammo box, player 1 comes.

What happens in this scenario? It is either that player 3 just grabs and runs away, or that player 3 grabs it instantly and guns down player 1 that is coming to get it, since he has got the momentum. 

Whoever picks up first is at ADVANTAGE. It isn't a thoughtful decision to pick it up now or not, its just ..that.

...It just negates the whole limited ammo thing.

I propose a small timer or something, like when we're doing objectives on APB mission districts, it doesn't need to be extremely long, just needs to be there. 

Alright and now for something else, that is bothering me. (sorry)

Just thought about it recently and it is concerning DANGEROUS AREAS.

I have got no idea how fast they expand and consequently shrink the safe area. But what the hell happens if we get caught in a corner where we can't escape from the expanding dangerous area?

I mean, there are dead ends in apb maps/districts and considering the nature of the randomness of the end block, what happens when it is spawned in place that is impossible to get without being killed outright by an "dead end" scenario ?

Those little boxes tic 200 damage per second and if i am sure of it, it isn't enough time to run to a safe area before actuality dying. 

Hell, you might end accidentally falling into a place where you get stuck!

... or are the blocks calculated based on how the streets are shaped?

My only solution for this right now is to add new shortcuts.

OTHER STUFF, while i think about what else to b**ch about :v

1. Are cars even allowed? I hope not.
  2. Are we going to prevent players from bringing character mods entirely? i feel like it is necessary for this to work.
  3. Do we get a lobby while we wait dead or wait for the match to start?
  4. Have you guys considered using joker tickets as a test reward for this event? Maybe even add a special shop with a ton of new joker ticket rewards? ... Or maybe who knows.. a marketplace in which we can trade with joker tickets ?
  5. Can we get melee weapons as starting weapons :v ? Maybe it being attached to a specific mod for the event or something.. Like blowtorch...

There will be a timer on pickups. I have them set between 3 and 10 seconds right now, but will need to see what works.  I'm not sure how much changes we can make to the actual map, but will see.

The areas are district blocks, individual blocks will become unsafe, which you will get told to get out of there, and how long you have. After the time runs out the block is dangerous and will kill you. It starts at the edge and moves inwards, so there shouldn't be a case where you get locked into a district block you can't get out of.

There won't be a lobby. You will be in the district while you wait for the match to start like the other events. However you can switch to a different district instance that is open to join a new match.

I wish we could do melee weapons, but that's currently not an option.

For your other questions, see above posts.

SkittyM

SkittyM

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7266 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11

I'm thinking we can do both. Allow people to pick their loadout before the start, and then lock it. They will be limited in terms of ammo they have to what they can find and not change it once the round starts. Next to that we can put in weapon drops we can give to people with limited ammunition. This way, if you haven't found an ammo pickup, you might still find a weapon you like, or you might find a weapon that is more useful for the situation than the one you have currently. Gives new players the opportunity to try out different weapons too.

Curious, would it be possible to disable certain weapons (like explosives) and instead have those as random pickups?  Kinda like the Anarchy event in a way where "better" weapons would be spawned on the map over time.

Edited by SkittyM, 19 May 2017 - 07:08 PM.

FVjIqxO.pngCAZ550X.png?1
 [<GM>HEXodus] Whisper: Help, I've fallen and i cant get up!

Kempington

Kempington

Gentleman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Joined 29-January 11

Wouldn't that over-complicate it? Moreover, that still gives the players who have the weapons they want the option of free choice at the start. If they play smart, they could hide out till the end and still have their favourite weapon throughout.

I can understand having both might work, but my intention was to ensure everyone is on an absolute level playing-field. That way, not even slight advantages at the start are even present. There were more suggestions to add to my previous post, but I'll put them here.

Start all players off with blowtorches: They at least have a way to get potentially a kill on someone before getting a weapon, but it means it's up to them to get themselves kitted quickly and be ready. I have a feeling some mission spawn locations may overlap and cause insta-deaths on the spawn (as you mentioned above in regards to the spawn points). This would be one way to mitigate a bad RNG spawn location, since no-one can outright drop you at the start unless they really try.

Have consumables banned, but can find and pick up consumables in the round: Little difficult to explain. Essentially, the consumables players have cannot be brought into the gamemode, but they can find stuff like large ammo boxes, medkits, epinephrine consumables lying around in the map. However, when they pick it up, it's only 1 of the item, to prevent easy stockpiling, so they have to use it sparingly. Allows for panic moments to swing in your favour and keeps things a little more interesting. Would work in the same way as bandages and medkits from PUBG.

This is more the further argue my claim for no character mods:

I'm afraid I'm still going to have to disagree with any character mods. Clotting agent may not sound like it gives a huge advantage, but the fact that it allows players to regenerate health earlier, albeit slower, means they are more likely to get back up to full health much faster than those without, if they make it out of a fight early and only lose up to 50% health. Those without have to wait considerably longer and that can be the game changer. Plus, Kevlar is a downright downside for all intents and purposes in this gamemode, for the most part, so it might be better to restrict people from using it, so they don't make a silly mistake.

The main vision I have here is to make sure that no-one has any tweaks to how their character handles themselves, as these small advantages can really make a difference in the long-run and cause newer players who may not have these mods unlocked yet the disadvantage. It's a bit of a weak standpoint using new players as the reasoning here, considering they most likely have no clue what they're doing anyway and lack the experience of APB to fully understand how to outplay people, but it's still a small basis, on top of the other factors such as players being allowed to choose their starting load-out.

To add another idea to the player markers (above their heads)

After 15 minutes, if more than 25% of total participants are still alive, show markers above their head. If total alive drops below 25% before 15 minutes pass, show markers above players' heads. This is more to speed things up, but it could really add to the gameplay. This doesn't mean the free wallhacks you get in team deathmatch final stages or VIP, but just the red names appear again, rather than just noise or in the crosshair. That way, players start to become more visible the less there are left. That, on top of the reduced play areas, will make it easier for the last players to find each other, as there are several small areas in the blocks (especially in financial) that people can hide and camp in.

Supply drops: Would it be possible to ban some of the more powerful weapons in the game (HVR/Other sniper role weapons/All explosive weapons/legendary weapons) from the main drop table of weapons that spawn in the district and instead are only available through random drop crates that spawn very infrequently in a random block during the round? They could be surrounded by Praetorian/G-Kings marked vehicles (that could be used by players perhaps?) and are basically the same entity as the valentines/christmas boxes, so you could re-use that asset here.

When one of these crates spawn, a marker is put on the map and a broadcast goes out to all players that heavy weaponry can be found here (Or a supply shipment of the G-Kings/Praetorians has been lost. Find it to get some stronger weaponry).

Benefits:

Localisation of mini-encounters/players: Creates a temporary hot spot where multiple people may take their chances with the crate to get a better weapon from this drop table (e.g HVR or a Scout or even an O-PGL)

Generates risk

Powerful, but very limited

Essentially, the same as air drops in PUBG. You could also throw a batch of consumables in the crate as well to give them a few extra of the current consumable they have (assuming they picked one up, otherwise 5x of a random consumable).

That sounds actually pretty tricky to code..

VWY0zFT.png3kCG8kd.jpg

Scavenger*from*Joker

Scavenger*from*Joker

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1774 posts
  • Joined 18-January 14

Looks like it might be fun. Might be a lot of FF bans though.

tApJpyS.pngw a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
Scavenger | HIVE | Jericho

Scavenger*from*Joker

Scavenger*from*Joker

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1774 posts
  • Joined 18-January 14

I for one will not complain about them actually doing something. It's what we were asking them to do for years...not the summer event thing but just to do "something". Even if it fails it's a start...

tApJpyS.pngw a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
Scavenger | HIVE | Jericho

Haganu

Haganu

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3677 posts
  • Joined 22-June 14

A well lobbed grenade may make all their lives more miserable. Also in the end, only one can win. No hunger games scenarios here ;)

"ayyy mane let's team up"

"you know only one can win in the end right?"

"I'll let you win this round if you allow me to win the next"

Despite the RNG spawns, people like to go till the end to get their advantage.

Regarding vehicles, why not wrecks scattered throughout the city with 2 to 5 low-tier vehicles drivable? No top-tier vehicles please. 

What to me would be most fitting to spawn as drivable car would be a pickup truck of choice, and maybe a broadwing or han veo or something.

Also it'd be great if drivable vehicles wouldn't have 100% health but a random health percentage between 80 and 60% of the total health number.

I pretty much agree with what kempington says overall, except the one about putting markers above people's heads after X amount of time. The only restriction in a battle royale's pacing should be the circle. If a circle is small and surprisingly many people are still alive means that those players do well to survive, wanting to control pace by placing markers above people's heads punishes effort to do good by making it more difficult.

If players are in a comfortable spot and not in the absolute endgame center, they'll get pushed out of their comfortable zone and by that increase their risk to be spotted by others anyways.

Also to add to Kemp's supply drop part, a random green character mod, med spray, and a Scout/LMG. To make crate drops interesting.

One last thing I'd like to see is for the gamemode to have its own currency fairly handed out based on kills and how long you've survived, and have unique items to spend it on (weapon variants, weapon skins, clothes).

And most importantly: please let us test it thoroughly! Let the community help you make it a gamemode worth keeping.

Edited by Haganu, 20 May 2017 - 05:07 PM.

JRavtd5.png

Haganu - Criminal | - - - - - - Symbols by LarsJack on DeviantArt, remade and made bodypaint off of them ingame. - - - - - - | Matoii - Enforcer  

Zakito

Zakito

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Hackers/Cheaters are still a huge issue in this game so I don't know how I feel about another mode where they can just frenzy on me. But a simple racing district where you can set up rally points and wager your own APB money would be nice.

SixxstagesofMajik

SixxstagesofMajik

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4535 posts
  • Joined 28-March 15
  • Disable everything on HUD with exception of Crosshair,Objective zone(safe spot,drops) eliminates the who is who knowlage as doesnt show names above just the toons
  • No nades,explosive weapons,snipers
  • start eveyone off with SNR+brick(even if they are not of rank is allowed in the event district) to me this seems reasoable starting equipment
  • Other Primary/Secondaries are placed around areas > the weapons+mods on them should be any preset ones from contacts/armas could have community vote on which of each catagory to include gives community more input in which weapons would be randomized around
  • Character mods should be none imo with execption of consumables find>?
  • disable voip better performance wise+no district wide mic spammers
  •  

Majikal PC Tweaks
How bad i get serious, can talk about Trump gosh darn the politics with the Syrians
You wanna ban immigrants? Start with your wife
You wanna end wih some bullshoot? Start with your life
Before ya judge think

PrincessTwilight

PrincessTwilight

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

I have to disagree. you should ONLY be able to use what you find, it becomes a major part of the game. "Do i keep looking for a weapon I'm more comfortable and risk being seen? Or do i make due with what i have and try to stay alive longer. Plus it makes the "Air Drop/weapon crate" more appealing because its more likely to have a very good weapon, thus making it more of a risk to try to take.

Now with those weapon spawns they really need to be carefully crafted because this is where the "Balance" comes in.
as Kemp already said the "Air drop/Weapon crates" will Have the most powerful weapons (HVR, OSMAW, OPGL, Shaw? DMR/AV?)
But every other weapon not labeled a power weapon will spawn randomly,

I have a rough idea on how the weapon randomizer might work.
First it takes weapon class in to account, EX Rifleman 30% chance to spawn an assault rifle.
second it looks at weapons in said class, EX Star 556 has a 10% chance to spawn

3rd we use the Preset Contact variants,

EX 40 Percent unmodded STAR 556

30% STAR 556 I "Army Ant"

15% STAR 556 II "Mantis"

10% STAR 556 III "Spider" 

5% STAR 556 IV "Scorpion"

Because finding mods as loot might probably be out of the question using whats already there to add the random loot element might be the best option. By having these weapon tiers its gives an incentive to keep looking for weapons. you might find a better weapon.

Now some hurdles, are some weapons don't have weapons that do this progressive preset modding thing, like some Armas guns.

Some weapons will be far more useful in this game mode then the normal game.

ok what follows is me further brainstorming, I know its a little crazy but hear me out

maybe you devs release a whole set of special "Survival Weapons" modded specifically for this mode rather then using the Preset contact weapons. This would let you craft a unique arsenal tailored specifically for this mode.
adding on to that, Special mods could be introduced that stripaway the downsides of our mods, or new mods could be introduced, to create actual weapon tiers.

40% STAR 556 T4 Stock

30% STAR 556 T3 (+10% MM bonus)

20% STAR 556 T2 (+10% MM bonus, +10% fire rate)

10% STAR 556 T1 (+10% MM bonus, +10% fire rate, +5% damage) 

Each Tier of a weapon could have a special skin applied to it that it uniform across all weapons for quick glance looting.

The idea behind this is that the prospect of a better weapon creates incentive to keep scavenging, and the longer the game goes on the more likely an enemy player is likely to have a better weapon,and that interns creates a scenario where looting a dead guys gun could be beneficial, witch in turn has its own risks.

The closest parallel I can draw with PUBG is the weapon attachments, you are always on the lookout for a better optic, barrel, Mag. and killing a guy 20min in to a game can often times lead to some great looting.

San Paro City Mentor (SPCM)

PrincessTwilight - Jericho, Han

PrincessTwi - Citadel

Uminee

Uminee

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined 27-January 12

I have some suggestions/comments that mostly pertain to vehicles in this mode.

Vehicles are a huge part of what makes APB what it is, though if it's a survival feel you're after, you're going to want everything, including vehicles, to feel like a resource to be scuffled over and hoarded. To this end, I would suggest ...

Either disabling player vehicle spawners entirely ...

Or allowing the player to spawn a single, very fragile slow starter car, something that's just enough for them to relocate once before it needs to be abandoned, but not something you'd willingly take into a fight.

Also disabling gas stations repairing entirely, but randomly placing limited-use blow torches instead.

As for how players can acquire vehicles, use only the parked vehicle spawns on the map , though at a reduced rate (possibly add some new spots to make it less predictable).

And to make things the most interesting, I would suggest radically altering the vehicle types that are capable of spawning (mostly by expanding the possibilities), perhaps even spawning with random mods. Alternatively if that sort of randomization is impractical/impossible to implement, adding a bunch of the preset purchasable vehicles as potential spawns would have a similar effect. Though it would also be interesting if you could use the vehicles of every player in the district as the random spawn pool, that sounds like the most difficult to implement ...

I believe that the above changes would result in players treating vehicles like valuable commodities, something to be protected and only expended very strategically (especially considering the "Dangerous Area" thing). Rather than being used as a cheap bullet shield, you might find someone hiding their vehicle in an alley before engaging an enemy.

The feel of a survival game is one of desperation, risk versus reward with everything on the line ... along with the elation of occasionally gaining (be it through luck, force, or guile) something of great value that will increase your odds. I think you could definitely achieve such an experience through the right implementation of vehicles.

Edited by Uminee, 20 May 2017 - 11:50 PM.

Check out Uminee's Ensembles!

If you play on Jericho, make sure to stop by Uminee's Fashion Boutique!

BingoBookBG

BingoBookBG

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Joined 25-October 12

wrong post sry

Edited by BingoBookBG, 21 May 2017 - 06:07 AM.

TheMessiah - Enforcer 255 - Citadel              youtube.com/c/MartinTheMessiah

Nickolai

Nickolai

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Joined 10-January 12

As for the barriers of the game mode. To make them more lore friendly (and to make sense of course) you guys should put NPC/Turrets who will shoot anyone outside of the zone.

NPC/Turrets should be placed on high locations like rooftops and unreachable places.

If you guys decide to use turrets, they should pop out only when someone is out of the zone. Until that happens they should stay hidden.

- Enforcer - AC3S

MonteJr

MonteJr

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts
  • Joined 29-March 11

Ho boy, you've dived into a design nightmare with this idea.

Give incentive. I know this was briefly covered in the blogpost about rewards for the event, but like many others in the game who still play, there should be a unique loot table for continued play of this gamemode. If you have a look at PUBG, they give you credits that you can spend on boxes to give you new cosmetic items to make your character unique. This idea would be great for APB as well, but instead of that, have unique weapons in the loot table for the boxes that you can get from this gamemode, as well as possibly unique clothing items as well. If you just re-use already existing assets in the game that almost everybody already has, then there's no real incentive to play this gamemode and we'll go down the same path as the anarchy district.

I want to stress the important of rewards more. In the past, many of the events felt bland as there was little to no reason to do them, that or the rewards weren't properly done right and caused exploiting.

Old Anarchy was just a spawn-camping nightmare with only a few hot-spots being without taking advantage of the whole map, but then the Halloween event lead to AFK Money farming which was often abused and took away from the fun, resulting in inactive people on both sides.

The reward should be both a fun experience and some trinket to take home, otherwise there's little reason to play and I could simply go off and play Overwatch to try to get that dang Roadhog skin I been trying to get. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make Joker Tickets the main attraction, as many players may already have some weapon/title/mod/etc and don't have a need to go for tickets -- yes I'm using myself as an example, but I'm sure there are others like me who don't need to obtain any of the items floating around, as it has been some time since the last big Contact update.--

That said, I'm curious how the event will turn out and am looking forward to what's ahead :)

Aimbotter: "Which hack do you use? Your's is better than mine"

Stranger: "Monte giving away nanos in Social!"
Me: "I am?"
Stranger: "Oh S---!"

Ole Lukøje

Ole Lukøje

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 19-January 14

VERY MANY CHETATERS I DONT WANNA DEAL WITH THIS GAME ANYMORE & YOUR EVENTS IS BS COZ VERY MANY CHEATERS! NORMAL PLAYERS LEFT THIS CRAP BB!

Androvald

Androvald

• 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

Maybe turn the interact-able into barricades than can be opened or shot down I mean i would hate to be shot down by a shaw because I cant move when I open a door

We've looked at doing this a few times in the past, but the system is so complicated that there's no way to do it that wouldn't require a major rework of the entire system, which spans everything from opening doors to entering vehicles, opening studios and other UI, doing missions activities and the like. I'll have another look what I can do, but I can't promise anything.

Wouldn't that over-complicate it? Moreover, that still gives the players who have the weapons they want the option of free choice at the start. If they play smart, they could hide out till the end and still have their favourite weapon throughout.

I can understand having both might work, but my intention was to ensure everyone is on an absolute level playing-field. That way, not even slight advantages at the start are even present. There were more suggestions to add to my previous post, but I'll put them here.

They would still need to find an ammo box in order to unlock their primary and/or secondary. At the start everyone would have just have access to a basic back-up weapon

Start all players off with blowtorches: They at least have a way to get potentially a kill on someone before getting a weapon, but it means it's up to them to get themselves kitted quickly and be ready. I have a feeling some mission spawn locations may overlap and cause insta-deaths on the spawn (as you mentioned above in regards to the spawn points). This would be one way to mitigate a bad RNG spawn location, since no-one can outright drop you at the start unless they really try.

I'm not yet sure if it'll be a regular blowtorch, event specific blowtorch that can't repair or something like a snubby; but that is the idea. That said, I don't believe those ever overlap. They are generally on street intersections. You will also have the normal amount of spawn immunity.

Have consumables banned, but can find and pick up consumables in the round: Little difficult to explain. Essentially, the consumables players have cannot be brought into the gamemode, but they can find stuff like large ammo boxes, medkits, epinephrine consumables lying around in the map. However, when they pick it up, it's only 1 of the item, to prevent easy stockpiling, so they have to use it sparingly. Allows for panic moments to swing in your favour and keeps things a little more interesting. Would work in the same way as bandages and medkits from PUBG.

While we're definitely going to disable certain consumables and character mods, putting in temporary activatables like that is a bit tricky.

This is more the further argue my claim for no character mods:
I'm afraid I'm still going to have to disagree with any character mods. Clotting agent may not sound like it gives a huge advantage, but the fact that it allows players to regenerate health earlier, albeit slower, means they are more likely to get back up to full health much faster than those without, if they make it out of a fight early and only lose up to 50% health. Those without have to wait considerably longer and that can be the game changer. Plus, Kevlar is a downright downside for all intents and purposes in this gamemode, for the most part, so it might be better to restrict people from using it, so they don't make a silly mistake.

The main vision I have here is to make sure that no-one has any tweaks to how their character handles themselves, as these small advantages can really make a difference in the long-run and cause newer players who may not have these mods unlocked yet the disadvantage. It's a bit of a weak standpoint using new players as the reasoning here, considering they most likely have no clue what they're doing anyway and lack the experience of APB to fully understand how to outplay people, but it's still a small basis, on top of the other factors such as players being allowed to choose their starting load-out.

To start, I don't think we should prevent people from making bad decisions. Part of APB is that you can make these decisions. Also, survival modes like this are inherently unbalanced due to the pick-ups and resource management; you make do with what you find, which can be a much bigger decider than the difference character mods create. When starting, the draw comes from trying to do better than your last time, and not being the first one to die.

At any rate, we might try some different versions to see what works better.

To add another idea to the player markers (above their heads)

After 15 minutes, if more than 25% of total participants are still alive, show markers above their head. If total alive drops below 25% before 15 minutes pass, show markers above players' heads. This is more to speed things up, but it could really add to the gameplay. This doesn't mean the free wallhacks you get in team deathmatch final stages or VIP, but just the red names appear again, rather than just noise or in the crosshair. That way, players start to become more visible the less there are left. That, on top of the reduced play areas, will make it easier for the last players to find each other, as there are several small areas in the blocks (especially in financial) that people can hide and camp in.

Part of survival is being able to hide from others. Also, I'm not entirely sure this is needed, especially if we don't have any pedestrians in the districts. At any rate, it's something we can do if it becomes a problem.

Supply drops: Would it be possible to ban some of the more powerful weapons in the game (HVR/Other sniper role weapons/All explosive weapons/legendary weapons) from the main drop table of weapons that spawn in the district and instead are only available through random drop crates that spawn very infrequently in a random block during the round? They could be surrounded by Praetorian/G-Kings marked vehicles (that could be used by players perhaps?) and are basically the same entity as the valentines/christmas boxes, so you could re-use that asset here.

When one of these crates spawn, a marker is put on the map and a broadcast goes out to all players that heavy weaponry can be found here (Or a supply shipment of the G-Kings/Praetorians has been lost. Find it to get some stronger weaponry).

Benefits:

Localisation of mini-encounters/players: Creates a temporary hot spot where multiple people may take their chances with the crate to get a better weapon from this drop table (e.g HVR or a Scout or even an O-PGL)
Generates risk
Powerful, but very limited

Essentially, the same as air drops in PUBG. You could also throw a batch of consumables in the crate as well to give them a few extra of the current consumable they have (assuming they picked one up, otherwise 5x of a random consumable).

That sounds actually pretty tricky to code..

Currently we spawn all the weapons at the start of the match. While we can spawn weapons in during the match as a weapon drop, we can't do the same for vehicles, as a player could be in the way at that time, and it would be rather jarring to see those appear out of nowhere due to their size.

"ayyy mane let's team up"
"you know only one can win in the end right?"
"I'll let you win this round if you allow me to win the next"
Despite the RNG spawns, people like to go till the end to get their advantage.

True, but there's not too much we can do to prevent this. Especially with out of game communications being prevalent.

Regarding vehicles, why not wrecks scattered throughout the city with 2 to 5 low-tier vehicles drivable? No top-tier vehicles please.
What to me would be most fitting to spawn as drivable car would be a pickup truck of choice, and maybe a broadwing or han veo or something.
Also it'd be great if drivable vehicles wouldn't have 100% health but a random health percentage between 80 and 60% of the total health number.

There's a random selection of parked cars throughout the city, which are generally nothing special. Damaging all vehicles randomly is something we could look at, but will likely cause all kinda of problems. Not entirely sure it's needed either.

I pretty much agree with what kempington says overall, except the one about putting markers above people's heads after X amount of time. The only restriction in a battle royale's pacing should be the circle. If a circle is small and surprisingly many people are still alive means that those players do well to survive, wanting to control pace by placing markers above people's heads punishes effort to do good by making it more difficult.

If players are in a comfortable spot and not in the absolute endgame center, they'll get pushed out of their comfortable zone and by that increase their risk to be spotted by others anyways.

Also to add to Kemp's supply drop part, a random green character mod, med spray, and a Scout/LMG. To make crate drops interesting.

One last thing I'd like to see is for the gamemode to have its own currency fairly handed out based on kills and how long you've survived, and have unique items to spend it on (weapon variants, weapon skins, clothes).

And most importantly: please let us test it thoroughly! Let the community help you make it a gamemode worth keeping.

Mostly refer to above.

Haganu

Haganu

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3677 posts
  • Joined 22-June 14

To start, I don't think we should prevent people from making bad decisions. Part of APB is that you can make these decisions. Also, survival modes like this are inherently unbalanced due to the pick-ups and resource management; you make do with what you find, which can be a much bigger decider than the difference character mods create. When starting, the draw comes from trying to do better than your last time, and not being the first one to die.

While it takes a huge effort to find balance in a battle royale, everyone starts off with even amounts of HP, even amounts of HP regen, no weapons, everyone is evenly empty-handed, and based on one's decisions one gains an edge over another. While it does involve luck and in late game there might be little balance, it's completely fair in this case, as everyone starts off even.

Poor or rich decisions should be made during the round, not before the round with Kevlar Implants or Clotting Agent.

Keeping in character mods allows people to make decisions before the round even starts, and allows players to start off with an advantage or disadvantage. While in your vision that may not be a huge gamechanger, it's not how a battle royale should start.

JRavtd5.png

Kempington

Kempington

Gentleman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Joined 29-January 11

They would still need to find an ammo box in order to unlock their primary and/or secondary. At the start everyone would have just have access to a basic back-up weapon

While we're definitely going to disable certain consumables and character mods, putting in temporary activatables like that is a bit tricky.

I appreciate the effort to try a few things out, but if I may just clarify my reasoning behind this:

When looking at a gamemode like this and putting it into APB, the APB equation has to be almost completely thrown out in order to do this successfully. I can understand the premise of allowing decisions to be made before the match, but no other battle royale does this. No other battle royale realistically allows you to make small tweaks to how the character recovers HP, handles falling, damage reduction etc.

The whole goal of battle royale is to ensure that all players start exactly even with no benefits or tweaks whatsoever. The only advantage anyone should have is experience and map knowledge, which cannot be compensated for.

For more specific:

Clotting Agent:

This has a tremendous impact on survivability. While your total regen time when closer to 100 health left as opposed to 500 health left is a little longer than the normal regen time, usually anything above 500 health takes considerably less time to recover from with clotting agent. The most critical part of this is the regen delay timer. A good player with clotting agent 3 can easily manage any encounter and backpedal quite comfortably, whilst micro-managing his health to always have the edge over another player who doesn't have clotting agent and thus is at risk unless he deliberatly hides for roughly 8 seconds, before he even begins to recover health.

The only time Clotting Agent doesn't really have a benefit is if you have the time between engagements to recover. In most close quarters and mid-range scenarios, you don't really have this option, as people can easily close the distance or regain line of sight on you before you can recover any health whatsoever, meanwhile they've been recovering a small amount before getting to you, which might just be the amount they need to take another shot and net them the kill over you. If we look at the financial map especially, this is more apparent and thus more viable, as there are plenty of alleyways, back passages and CQC/mid-range areas that will allow for players to duck and weave between, then immediately turn the tables.

I would highly consider opting against any sort of character mods whatsoever. Whilst happy landings and hard landings don't serve as much of a defining edge, hard landings could be used to aggressively push an area without a fall penalty (other than damage), which, paired up with clotting agent, will give them tremendous aggressive potential over someone who has neither mod.

Plus I don't think it's fair to let  players "try" kevlar, then immediately realise that they're at a huge disadvantage in almost any given scenario and thus lose because they made a mistake before the match. 

There should be no punishment for a bad decision before the match has started.

This also applies to allowing players to choose their weapon loadouts. Again, those who have the option of free choice can easily pick a solo-play setup that's a strong 1v1 engager. I understand you would like to see a bit of both, but I feel that it still gives some players a free choice to make before the match and all they have to do is "find their weapon", which doesn't really happen in other battlegrounds (albeit there is far less weapon selection, so balance isn't as much of a concern in those games. BUT they do play ALOT slower than apb's gameplay).

Would it be possible to spin up to versions of the event, one with all character mods and weapon loadouts disabled, thus forcing players to find stuff out on the field and use that to the best of their ability and one with your original vision? I think comparing them side by side might yield the best results in an OTW environment.

VWY0zFT.png3kCG8kd.jpg

Androvald

Androvald

• 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11
I can see where you are coming from, though I have to say that just because something hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to try it.

Would it be possible to spin up to versions of the event, one with all character mods and weapon loadouts disabled, thus forcing players to find stuff out on the field and use that to the best of their ability and one with your original vision? I think comparing them side by side might yield the best results in an OTW environment.

That sounds like a good idea, we should be able to do so.

UubeNubeh DaWog

UubeNubeh DaWog

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Joined 19-August 12
Something something asking for suggestions, something something would rather "try something new", something something failed event/ execution, something something infuriated playerbase for making something worse than something tried, tested and proven to work, something something never bothering to fix the problems and try again, something something history repeating itself.

I'm actually done with this mess. Just make me a forum mod so we can have SOMEONE with some competence around here.

Androvald

Androvald

• 1282 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11
I'm adding something to control the time a bit more, namely a way to initially mark a number of blocks as dangerous to start with. This because after calculating the length of the event it would take over an hour to get through all the stages, which is a bit long. By having about half the blocks in the map as dangerous from the start, and taking down the time per block to 120 - 45 seconds, it should come down to 20 - 35 minutes. I'm also thinking of further marking areas as dangerous to start based on the number of players to reduce the time for smaller populations. Thoughts?

Something something asking for suggestions, something something would rather "try something new", something something failed event/ execution, something something infuriated playerbase for making something worse than something tried, tested and proven to work, something something never bothering to fix the problems and try again, something something history repeating itself.

I think you misunderstood me, so I've edited my previous post to be a bit more clear.

UubeNubeh DaWog

UubeNubeh DaWog

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Joined 19-August 12

I think you misunderstood me, so I've edited my previous post to be a bit more clear.

Though I have to say that just because something hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to try it.

This is what i was commenting on, G1 is trying to capitalize into a saturated market.
Everything that has been tried has already been done, the winning combo is already out there for everyone to see and it is exactly what everyone is playing right now, so thats why you are getting solidified suggestions on what needs to happen for this to not crash and burn like every other experiment. We know that we only get one chance before the whole idea is scrapped because history has already told us what is going to happen if things keep going the way they have been.

Having all options available to compare with each other is a good thing, what ever it takes to convince G1 to try something other than their own ideas as long as the communities suggestions don't get half assed like RTW districts.

I'm actually done with this mess. Just make me a forum mod so we can have SOMEONE with some competence around here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users