Photo

Interesting article (about combating online cheating, battlEye, etc)

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14

It's interesting reading material imo for anyone arguing back and forth on whether the game industry is lobbying towards more laws and ways for companies to deal with cheaters, as example by going after the people making money off cheats, by claiming damages to their brand and thus income that the cheaters cause.

I marked a few things imo worth noticing if you're G1 (price on anticheat BE relates to number of players.. explains why some very small games can afford BE also... though no idea if G1 is even interested in the PC part of APB anymore or can afford 10k$ when considering how far they've let the PC situation slip)

I'll paste the article here, but if you want the source its an article from the wall street journal by Sarah E. Needleman. (not sure if its okay to link offsite)

ps. the last part i formatted in red... i think that includes also russian hackers stealing your acct  :Ha Ha Ha: 

------------------

As E-Sports Grows, Videogame Companies Battle Cheaters

Videogame companies pushing online competitions are grappling with the digital equivalent of performance-enhancing drugs.

Players looking for an edge are using unapproved software and exploiting bugs to make their weapons fire with perfect aim, among other advantages, derailing honest gamers vying for prominence, social-media fame and, in some cases, prize money.

The cheating pushes conscientious players to quit, which can hurt sales and discourage people from embracing e-sports just as it begins to win mainstream acceptance.

To fight back, companies are banning players by the tens of thousands, hiring spies to uncover illicit code and spending more on software designed to prevent or identify cheating.

Activision Blizzard Inc., e-sports contest organizer ESL and other companies say they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on such software, and more for personnel to investigate complaints. Those costs are expected to rise, they say.

"It's an arms race," said Jeff Kaplan, director of the team-based shooter game "Overwatch," around which Activision Blizzard is building a pro league. The game's development team last month hired its first full-time engineer solely to combat cheating.

Panopticon Laboratories LLC, a cybersecurity company, estimates players world-wide spend between $350 million and $500 million a year on cheat software, which is widely available for purchase online.

Using the software isn't illegal, though such behavior often violates a game's terms of service, said Ryan Morrison, an attorney in New York. While cheating has been rare among the professional ranks of computer gamers, some of whom compete for million-dollar pots, it has been more common at the amateur level, where aspiring e-sports athletes vie from home for recognition and small prize pools, according to Marcel Menge, managing director at ESL.

Players tend to feel anonymous at home, Mr. Kaplan said. When cheating becomes rampant, "the perception of a game and community around it can deteriorate very quickly," he said.

Widespread cheating at the casual or amateur level could dampen the likelihood that players will aspire to go pro and hurt the perception of the e-sports industry overall, said Mike Hickey, an analyst at investment bank Benchmark Co. If it gets out of control, "people will lose interest in e-sports and that will feed up the chain."

A week after releasing "Overwatch" in May, Activision Blizzard discovered thousands of players using cheat programs to help their characters see through walls and fire weapons that never miss. Others exploited a bug to repeatedly hide in unsanctioned areas, which Activision Blizzard considers cheating. The company said it banned the offenders.

"People who are very smart come up with sophisticated ways to get around the prevention methods," Mr. Kaplan said.

Other examples of videogame cheating include tweaks that allow players to dodge enemy attacks in ways not permitted and the use of bots to help players compile resources such as virtual gold so they can quickly advance in the game's environment.

Fernando Dominguez quit playing "Tom Clancy's The Division" two months after buying it. The 35-year-old Miami resident, who says he spends about $100 a year on extra content for games he likes, grew tired of players taking advantage of a loophole to make their characters invisible.

"They were literally like ghosts," Mr. Dominguez said.

Ubisoft Entertainment SA, which publishes "The Division," said it fixed the bug and has banned more than 40,000 players for different kinds of cheating over the course of nearly a year.

In a January survey, 16% of respondents said they cheated in a videogame, according to Nielsen, which polled 939 U.S. console and computer gamers ages 13 and older. Just more than a third said they stopped playing a game because of cheating; 38% said it has gotten worse in the past year.

Some companies buy services designed to block the cheat software. BattlEye Innovations e.K. of Germany charges on average between $10,000 and $100,000 a year for its technology, depending on a game's number of players.

Companies also take legal action. Tencent Holdings Ltd.'s Riot Games in August sued the makers of LeagueSharp a $15 monthly service based in Peru that provided hacks to subscribers for cheating in its e-sports game "League of Legends," causing irreparable harm to the player community, according to the complaint.

Earlier this month, a court forced LeagueSharp to shut down and awarded Riot $10 million.

"Cheating sucks," a Riot spokesman said. "Riot is absolutely committed to upholding the competitive integrity of our game."

The makers of LeagueSharp didn't respond to requests for comment.

ESL, which organizes more than 10,000 competitions annually, pays freelance spies between $25 and $40 an hour to secure cheat software it can study. Cheaters are banned for six months before they can petition to return.

Activision Blizzard routinely bans players who claim someone else used their credentials to cheat, Mr. Kaplan said. "There are a lot of little brothers and roommates cheating in the world," he said.

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 06:47 AM.

https://www.youtube....h?v=STpXy7gXzC4

Being online doesn't mean you're suddenly not responsible for who you are. Embarrassing, threatening, harassing, attacking and insulting - based on gender, race, nationality or simple difference of opinion? ...This shows who you are as a person, sitting behind the monitor. You think nobody will care? Think again.

The age of Cancer is over. The dawn of Justice has come.

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3911 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10

None of this is really new though. Nothing wrong with linking an article here, but it is from a fake news site so its probably best to not link it i guess  :P

Edited by Shini, 21 April 2017 - 07:06 AM.

DOsaP8z.png?1
Patriot | Obeya | Joker
gU5R8sY.pnguAHmOP2.pngJHRWB5q.png

StaN-

StaN-

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 13

Nice way to not cite the source.

Also Blizzard recently won a lawsuit against one of them cheat making companies: http://mashable.com/.../#ng4SzIooEaq8 

The war against gaming cheats has always existed, and will always exist.

Jericho (NA)

Stanskananski : R255 || Stanlina : R255

jtTOGCV.png?1

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14

fake news site so its probably best to not link it i guess  :P

Nice way to not cite the source.

Also Blizzard recently won a lawsuit against one of them cheat making companies: http://mashable.com/.../#ng4SzIooEaq8 

You read all that but didn't read part where i said why i didn't link it directly?  :No No No: 
source wall-street-journal.

& yep they did...and these law suits for millions by "damages to game brands from cheating", is not a thing that has "always been".  

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 07:30 AM.

Being online doesn't mean you're suddenly not responsible for who you are. Embarrassing, threatening, harassing, attacking and insulting - based on gender, race, nationality or simple difference of opinion? ...This shows who you are as a person, sitting behind the monitor. You think nobody will care? Think again.

StaN-

StaN-

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 13

You read all that but didn't read part where i said why i didn't link it directly?  :No No No: 

& yep they did...and these law suits for millions by "damages to game brands from cheating", is not a thing that has "always been".  

IT WAS A LOT OF READING OK!

Jericho (NA)

Stanskananski : R255 || Stanlina : R255

jtTOGCV.png?1

Kempington

Kempington

Gentleman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • Joined 29-January 11

Old news.

Honestly, I don't know why people are making a big deal about this. Sure, it's nice to see what devs and publishers are doing to try and combat cheaters etc, but they're making as big of a deal about this as a football(soccer) player falling over on the grass.

It's the same as any sport with money involved or something of value as the prize, methods are being taken to prevent unfair play and that people abide the rules. For example, in MMA you can no longer punch/kick people deliberately in the ammunition or it can be considered a DQ or a no-contest. 

In this particular example, this is to try and crack down on cheaters not even in the competitive scene, but the amount of noise that's being made about it is just stupid honestly.

Sure, cheaters are annoying and it's silly how they can ruin the game experience for people, but I think the mindset is more important when fighting a cheater. Instead of thinking that it's bullshoot that you can't win the match because of the cheater on the enemy team and get really upset about it, just shrug it off. You're not playing for money, not really playing for a competitive stake. You may as well let them do there thing and follow the proper channels to report them and send in evidence (where applicable). Once the cheater has been acknowledged then it's out of your hands and that's that. If they show up again, who cares? Just play the game and don't worry about the 5 minutes of time lost because a cheater has shown up.

Let's be real here, even in APB, you don't come across a cheater in every game. You very rarely come across actual cheaters. The perception on whether or not someone is cheating is pretty subjective until the factual verdict is made by the anti-cheating system (although that's not 100% accurate). However, if you go into the game with the mindset that what the other person did cannot possibly be done because you can't do it (therefore you think they cheat), then it's something you're more likely going to call people out on when something like this happens and they (possibly) outplay you.

Anyway, the long and short of it is still the same. Don't start a needless child shouting contest in the district chat or whatever game you may happen to be playing, just use the appropriate channels to report the cheater and ignore what they say. Let them say their peace about how easy the game is and how easy you are to beat, since they're just trying to get under your skin. If you completely ignore them or mute them then the problem is solved.

It's really not that hard.

VWY0zFT.png3kCG8kd.jpg

❌❌❌

❌❌❌

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Joined 28-September 16

no new information really, just someone who clearly doesnt play video games writing an article about exploiting video games

i see a fair share of "company sues cheatmaker!!!!!1!1!1" articles, but ive never seen any articles about how effective it actually is

_|_|_|     _|      _|   _|       _|   _|       _|   _|      _|   _|_|_|    
 _|     _|     _|  _|     _|_|    _|   _|_|    _|     _|  _|     _|      _|  
 _|_|_|          _|       _|  _|  _|   _|  _|  _|       _|        _|        _|  
 _|     _|     _|  _|     _|    _|_|   _|    _|_|     _|  _|     _|      _|  

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14

Old news.

March 15, 2017: After winning a legal battle in the German courts, Blizzard are looking to sue Bossland, creators of cheats and hack for online games, to the tune of $8.5 million, this time in the US.

The case began mid 2016, but Bossland stopped responding earlier this year, so Blizzard are looking for a default judgement. The Overwatch developers are requesting minimum statutory copyright damages of $200 per infringement. According to the complaint, 42,818 Bossland hacks were sold in the US.

Idk about you, but it's not "old news". Case began in end of 2016 and was recently concluded, with 8.6million in damages towards the gaming company.

Not really "old news" but quite much a new approach from larger companies, including Riot who sued and in january this year won case against cheat delivery "leaguesharp" which was setup in peru. (10million usd in damages)

Honestly, I don't know why people are making a big deal about this. Sure, it's nice to see what devs and publishers are doing to try and combat cheaters etc, but they're making as big of a deal about this as a football(soccer) player falling over on the grass.

Why shouldn't it be a big deal... you entered this thread which entirely from start was said to be an article about the gaming industry & combating cheats and you bring this "i don't care attitude"? maybe to you it doesn't matter... i'm pretty sure to a developer who's income relies on their games being healthy, it's a pretty big deal.
....in case you missed it in the article, its estimated that 1/3rd of "gamers" i.e. people like you and me.. quit games cause of cheaters. (APB a prime example, even though I realize by now kemp, you claim apb doesn't have more cheaters than any average which, which quite frankly I find laughable but it's fine we'll disagree and move on)
Finally, but importantly, you know the word precedence right, well these "old news" are so new that they're generating precedence, which means it becomes easier and less costly for far smaller companies to do the same (claim damages against their brand/game). Does it mean it's all gonna happen tomorrow? no, but it's an interesting evolution to follow if you're in any way part of a gaming scene or development scene imo. (and someone not interested, don't need to read the post right!)

Anyway, the long and short of it is still the same. Don't start a needless child shouting contest in the district chat or whatever game you may happen to be playing, just use the appropriate channels to report the cheater and ignore what they say. Let them say their peace about how easy the game is and how easy you are to beat, since they're just trying to get under your skin. If you completely ignore them or mute them then the problem is solved.

oh my!? How did this end up being relevant to the topic? did you read the article? You basically just wrote exactly the same thing you told me in your previous post in another topic...
This personal need of yours to follow my topics and telling me I should "stop crying in districts" seems to cloud your objectivity heavily.

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 09:26 AM.

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14

no new information really, just someone who clearly doesnt play video games writing an article about exploiting video games

i see a fair share of "company sues cheatmaker!!!!!1!1!1" articles, but ive never seen any articles about how effective it actually is

Because these things are very very new (far from old news lol).... the blizzard vs bossland case only began in mid-2016, that's very new when speaking in terms of law cases and claiming damages for millions of dollars (8.6) and so it's a case which generates precedence. Same goes for Riot vs Leaguesharp, 10mil dollar in damages, ended in just january this year (riot won). 

How effective it'll be, remains to be seen, but definitely it generates the required legal precedence that game companies has been seeking to be able to sue for damages made to their brand & game by cheat developers/cheat delivery sites.

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 09:27 AM.

Kempington

Kempington

Gentleman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • Joined 29-January 11

Old news.

March 15, 2017: After winning a legal battle in the German courts, Blizzard are looking to sue Bossland, creators of cheats and hack for online games, to the tune of $8.5 million, this time in the US.

The case began mid 2016, but Bossland stopped responding earlier this year, so Blizzard are looking for a default judgement. The Overwatch developers are requesting minimum statutory copyright damages of $200 per infringement. According to the complaint, 42,818 Bossland hacks were sold in the US.

Idk about you, but it's not "old news". Case began in end of 2016 and was recently concluded, with 8.6million in damages towards the gaming company.

Not really "old news" but quite much a new approach from larger companies, including Riot who sued and in january this year won case against cheat delivery "leaguesharp" which was setup in peru. (10million usd in damages)

Why shouldn't it be a big deal... you entered this thread which entirely from start was said to be an article about the gaming industry & combating cheats and you bring this "i don't care attitude"? maybe to you it doesn't matter... i'm pretty sure to a developer who's income relies on their games being healthy, it's a pretty big deal.
....in case you missed it in the article, its estimated that 1/3rd of "gamers" i.e. people like you and me.. quit games cause of cheaters. (APB a prime example, even though I realize by now kemp, you claim apb doesn't have more cheaters than any average which, which quite frankly I find laughable but it's fine we'll disagree and move on)
Finally, but importantly, you know the word precedence right, well these "old news" are so new that they're generating precedence, which means it becomes easier and less costly for far smaller companies to do the same (claim damages against their brand/game). Does it mean it's all gonna happen tomorrow? no, but it's an interesting evolution to follow if you're in any way part of a gaming scene or development scene imo. (and someone not interested, don't need to read the post right!)

oh my!? How did this end up being relevant to the topic? did you read the article? You basically just wrote exactly the same thing you told me in your previous post in another topic...
This personal need of yours to follow my topics and telling me I should "stop crying in districts" seems to cloud your objectivity heavily.

Ok here we go:

1. It's old news. This stuff has been going on for a while, just not reported as much. There has always been a big fight against game developers and cheaters, so this is just another event in the grand scheme of things. It's not a game changer or revolutionary, since if any company really wanted to have a crack at doing this, they could've done it sooner. Helpfully, because the gaming industry has grown 10 fold in the past years, it does make it easier for game companies to win claims like this in court, since it's a very profitable business and cheaters can impact sales and general net income. That being said, this sort of information has been round before, albeit in the form of speculation and hypothetical scenarios. These scenarios become real now is not a big "WOW" or interesting news. It's as interesting as reading or even watching the lives of housewives in los angeles (There's an actual TV show about this and housewives of rich people elsewhere. I genuinely can't believe that sort of TV even exists...).

2. It's not a big deal to players. The mentality of how to respond to cheaters is what's causing most of the fiasco here. Developers will do what they can to manage and quell as much of the cheating issue there is in their respective game, but how does highlighting the costs of a client anti-cheat even going to help? How is this relevant to here? The way this game works from a foundation level is almost completely different to most other games out there, so the parameters for what it can and cannot detect will need to be changed heavily. On top of that, I don't believe there is a flat rate for any game company wanting to pick up a licence of an anti-cheat system, it may be flexible, but i'm not sure. Considering fairfight doesn't post their prices for their software and management, I doubt battleye does. But this leads me onto my next answer.

3. This is a thinly veiled thread basically preaching your same usual nonsense. We get it, you want a client-side anti-cheat. But I find it rather hilarious that you're getting a little flustered by my similar responses which are out of context, since you have done the exact same thing in other threads. We don't need constant new threads about how desperatly you're trying to push for a client side anti-cheat. I'm fairly certain G1 are now aware about this and are looking into options available to them, but considering their current gameplan, don't expect anything any time soon. Trying to be helpful and constantly pushing in their faces isn't going to make this happen any time sooner.

(I'm calling it now, but don't you dare try and claim this as "This is an interesting read about how cheaters vs developers are going" because then I'll claim you on putting this thread in the wrong section. We get it, you want a client-side anti-cheat. You can stop now). 

VWY0zFT.png3kCG8kd.jpg

Bambola

Bambola

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
  • Joined 20-November 13

Once when people stopped to play video-games just for fun and turned them into e-peen growing contests, cheaters were born. You will always have a bunch of those who have no other ways to boost their self esteem than to do it online, some of them will resort to cheating in order to achieve it. 

People will cheat, companies will try to prevent that because it makes them to lose money, some other companies will make money by selling cheats, it's a vicious circle. 

However I think the real cause of cheating lies in the community itself - people go to FFBans and see close to 14.000 banned players where in fact those are like hundred or two of same persons constantly rerolling, they hear so many accusations of cheating in the district chat, they often get outplayed by obviously way better players and they end up pretty much convinced there is like more than 50% of the population cheating on some way, hence they are thinking "'If I don't cheat as well, I will lose out".

If we just stop assuming whoever is better than us they must be cheating and accusing them constantly and publicly, maybe things will change and eventually prevent legit players making stupid decisions to start cheating in order to beat other "cheaters". 

Anyway, I just have a feeling you are not making things anything better by constantly making threads about cheating, quite on contrary. 

XaMA1nH.jpg

~Living in a world of smart phones and stupid people~

Shini

Shini

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3911 posts
  • Joined 14-November 10

But you didn't really read my one liner, you cut out the quote saying there's nothing wrong with linking it, it's not against rules.

Also, have you stopped to think that maybe you're going too hard on all this cheating stuff? You care too much dude, it's really just part of PC gaming. The sooner you accept that reality the more fun you will have with this game. It's come to the point where you're literally a meme now and people will probably follow you around to get a rise out of you.

And to be perfectly honest, while there is a culture in this game of racking up how many bans you can get or seeing how long you last in being a closet douche, this game really doesn't have many cheaters proportionally compared to the library I play. It's honestly mostly just the same idiots being banned and people like you are just giving them much that needed fuel if I'm being frank.

Have you stopped to think that maybe you're not the best player and people just have that talent? This game is more or less 7 years down the line now, people have perfected their game and meta after all this time. Dude, compare the skilled gameplay of RTW apb to G1 apb now, its unreal, some people are just that insane, get used to it.

That being said though, game does need client AC but it's not going to stop the habitual cheat moaners one bit.

Edited by Shini, 21 April 2017 - 10:05 AM.

DOsaP8z.png?1
Patriot | Obeya | Joker
gU5R8sY.pnguAHmOP2.pngJHRWB5q.png

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14

Ok here we go:

1. It's old news. This stuff has been going on for a while, just not reported as much. There has always been a big fight against game developers and cheaters, so this is just another event in the grand scheme of things. It's not a game changer or revolutionary, since if any company really wanted to have a crack at doing this, they could've done it sooner. Helpfully, because the gaming industry has grown 10 fold in the past years, it does make it easier for game companies to win claims like this in court, since it's a very profitable business and cheaters can impact sales and general net income. That being said, this sort of information has been round before, albeit in the form of speculation and hypothetical scenarios. These scenarios become real now is not a big "WOW" or interesting news. It's as interesting as reading or even watching the lives of housewives in los angeles (There's an actual TV show about this and housewives of rich people elsewhere. I genuinely can't believe that sort of TV even exists...).

2. It's not a big deal to players. The mentality of how to respond to cheaters is what's causing most of the fiasco here. Developers will do what they can to manage and quell as much of the cheating issue there is in their respective game, but how does highlighting the costs of a client anti-cheat even going to help? How is this relevant to here? The way this game works from a foundation level is almost completely different to most other games out there, so the parameters for what it can and cannot detect will need to be changed heavily. On top of that, I don't believe there is a flat rate for any game company wanting to pick up a licence of an anti-cheat system, it may be flexible, but i'm not sure. Considering fairfight doesn't post their prices for their software and management, I doubt battleye does. But this leads me onto my next answer.

3. This is a thinly veiled thread basically preaching your same usual nonsense. We get it, you want a client-side anti-cheat. But I find it rather hilarious that you're getting a little flustered by my similar responses which are out of context, since you have done the exact same thing in other threads. We don't need constant new threads about how desperatly you're trying to push for a client side anti-cheat. I'm fairly certain G1 are now aware about this and are looking into options available to them, but considering their current gameplan, don't expect anything any time soon. Trying to be helpful and constantly pushing in their faces isn't going to make this happen any time sooner.

(I'm calling it now, but don't you dare try and claim this as "This is an interesting read about how cheaters vs developers are going" because then I'll claim you on putting this thread in the wrong section. We get it, you want a client-side anti-cheat. You can stop now). 

1)
uhm, so you can't be right on both... either it's old news and similar "grand" precedence already took place before... or you're just referring to "speculation and hypothetical scenarios"? which one is it Kempington?

I stated dates, clients and cases.. I'd love to see your sources for saying this is old news?
As far as I read, you're closing in on a personal vendetta with me, you can't get over (I already pointed it out in previous post). You in ONE end try to claim that everything I write is pointless, because it's "all old news" .. but in the other end, you know you're wrong and you rely on "albeit in the form of speculation and hypothetical scenarios" ..so again, which one is it?

2)
I didn't realize you speak for all players, my bad.
For a minute, I thought I was linking an article that each person can read (or not read) and then pass their own thoughts (or not?) ... it's not like i'm holding a gun, forcing you to enter topics with my name and drop your feedback or did I miss something? I see entire page full of topics.. just 2 of them are by me, many others are about cheating etc.. idk how come you find yourself so driven to my topic with this personal feedback of yours over and over again.

3) 

Ah, okay - so you "calling it" means it must be false. Well sorry to disappoint you, but this is an interesting article, which brings to light some very recent events and imo quite interesting for a game which definitely has lost a lot of playerbase to the articles discussed problem. If you think it's the wrong section, you're welcome to report the topic or login a mod and move it to the appropriate section you find it belongs.

I don't mind anyone having a different view, but argue it then - so far you've only told me (i'll summarize bluntly now):
"stop caring about cheaters".
Well stop caring about me caring about cheaters, Kempington? nobody forces you to follow my topics and it's hardly that i'm spamming topics. I've created 3 topics in over a month ... 1 about programming, 1 about chat msgs going missing and this one about online cheating and the legal precedence having been set in this very year. You're welcome to respond to any topic you like, it's your freedom! but for the sake of following your own advice(which you keep tossing at me), perhaps you should stop caring about me caring. 

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 10:12 AM.

❌❌❌

❌❌❌

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Joined 28-September 16

Because these things are very very new (far from old news lol).... the blizzard vs bossland case only began in mid-2016, that's very new when speaking in terms of law cases and claiming damages for millions of dollars (8.6) and so it's a case which generates precedence. Same goes for Riot vs Leaguesharp, 10mil dollar in damages, ended in just january this year (riot won). 

How effective it'll be, remains to be seen, but definitely it generates the required legal precedence that game companies has been seeking to be able to sue for damages made to their brand & game by cheat developers/cheat delivery sites.

its not new, they arent the first company to sue a cheat maker or the first company to "win" the case

_|     _|     _|  _|     _|_|    _|   _|_|    _|     _|  _|     _|      _|  
 _|_|_|          _|       _|  _|  _|   _|  _|  _|       _|        _|        _|  
 _|     _|     _|  _|     _|    _|_|   _|    _|_|     _|  _|     _|      _|  

Tigrix

Tigrix

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 20-August 14
✞✞✞, on 21 Apr 2017 - 8:17 PM, said:
its not new, they arent the first company to sue a cheat maker or the first company to "win" the case

You have any in mind?
Apart from Nexon America Inc vs GameAnarchy, i can't think of any company vs cheat provider in recent history with any significant damages awarded (hence creating precedence for other companies to see the point in doing the same) and that case was in comparison to these recent ones a small fish (not even 1/5th of the money involved or won in the damages claim).

Anyway, I just have a feeling you are not making things anything better by constantly making threads about cheating, quite on contrary. 

Apology for shorting your quote, but it's all read and obviously we agree on the whole re-rolling and e-peen/selfesteem problems.
So just to answer your last bit, I truly (believe it or not) find this article interesting and wanted to share, especially considering if you've seen amount of posts popping up daily screaming about cheaters (gives you the feeling that people are pulling hairs from the top of their heads while playing APB).

Well imo, this article is positive and even if it won't directly affect APB today or tomorrow or even perhaps ever (since prolly this game is dead before a company the size of G1 can sue anyone for any damages, if even just in a far fetched theory lol) --- still, overall, it's imo a positive article, if read as a player (or developer) of games... hence nothing meant negative. :)

Edited by Tigrix, 21 April 2017 - 10:38 AM.

❤BR)))❤

❤BR)))❤

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Joined 04-August 13
interesting article:
hi we got no monies
kthxbye

t r a   n s i   l v a   n i  a  n c   u n t   h u n   g e r

Benguin

Benguin

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Joined 16-March 11

People are cheating and developers are trying to do something against it!?  :o  :o  :o

Bingviini - Bengu

Garbo

Garbo

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 30-January 17

You very rarely come across actual cheaters.

Yeah its not like there have been, at the very least 14,776 accounts banned for cheating. And that number definitely isnt forgetting to include all silent bans.

"rarely" indeed

Edited by Garbo, 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM.

Rebelliousness

Rebelliousness

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 24-January 12

G1 corporate has never done anything good for this game, starting with their fail change of the entire game when Threat Segregation patch and change in match-making, scoring and such started... and they erased the original files and were unable to retrieve the much more balanced and fun game they originally had... and destroyed, leading to a massive drop-off of 2 million active playerbase... to this abandoned ship.

Enter Fairfight.  It did expose and out the closets, but because the cheating had been endemic for so long, many clans had started to cheat.  Once Fair Fight rolled out, they ALL... died.  Instead of reacting proactively to the major population decline with some sort of amnesty program or purgatory server for banned cheaters... G1 with ruthlessness, expecting perhaps to profit from rerolls who buy new things (and some few did) simply killed the population even faster... since ruthless bans wiped out easily 1/3 to 1/2 of the existing playerbase... the rage hacker rerolls bit viciously into what was left of it.

A new meta of the game began... people who didn't care so much about being closets, having a reputation, streaming, being in a competitive clan...things that made the game exciting and attracted new players to the crazy game... all largely stopped. The old closet "pro's" just made cheater reroll after reroll, since they no longer cared about their lost account or lost guns and stuff, a long time ago would have agreed to play on a new purgatory server to keep their accounts that mattered to them, keep their popular names and kept on streaming bringing advertising, players and revenue to the game... since they were ruthlessly banned and ignored, became like an aggressive cancer, destroying, bullying, trash talking any new or casual players left in a massive reroll rage hack fest that hasn't yet stopped (see 14 or 15 thousand bans).

Now... G1 corporate decided it was in their best interests to virtually abandon the longsuffering PC playerbase and invest in a new medium, which anyone who knows the game, knows because of it's shortcomings is not suited to the new ports... and is sure to fail businesswise...

can only look back at the hard history of horrid decisions that destroyed this really cool, unique and fun game.... and REALIZE that a smart decision like investing in a proper anticheat or a more permanent and equitable solution to the very active cheater playerbase who will not stop cheating (like an amnesty purgatory server or a full cheat server with full account and item restoration)... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN... and since G1 has NO WAY to stop the reroll cheaters from making new accounts and wreaking their rage and vengeance...

Sorry to speak the bitter truth, but G1 corporate is out of touch and stupid. Don't expect anything good out of a history of horribad.  They trashed a successful game, then they trashed a happy playerbase and created the new rage, poison acidic anger game we have now.  All the really happy cool people left, the fun clans left, and they are NEVER coming back.  This game cannot be rehabilitated under ANY medium.  The ONLY way to save this game is to

REROLL back to the original RTW version and have a new rollout with new servers. Old players who invested over $100 dollars get a 50% discount on new gear for the first month.  But since they damaged the original files... IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN THIS GAME IS DEAD ON THE WAY TO A WAKE.

tumblr_nwpwozTJGj1txfen3o1_500.gif

Edited by Rebelliousness, 21 April 2017 - 12:56 PM.

"Ignoring the PC base for these garbage ports will have been the primary reason for the demise of this company tbh."-Schlonganola

G1 White Knight

G1 White Knight

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4416 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13

~waits for Kitty to turn this thread into a mommystorm.~

d73.gif
IpP4AT3.png

Laugh and take pride that they require coded counter measures to handle all your awesomeness, because their sad, little ego just pales next to the greatness that is you, a true gamer.

G1 White Knight

G1 White Knight

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4416 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13

G1 corporate has never done anything good for this game, starting with their fail change of the entire game when Threat Segregation patch and change in match-making, scoring and such started... and they erased the original files and were unable to retrieve the much more balanced and fun game they originally had... and destroyed, leading to a massive drop-off of 2 million active playerbase... to this abandoned ship.

Your first paragraph is so full of lies and misinformation....

You should be forum banned just for it.

If you have no idea what you are talking about, don't post in a thread.

2 million playerbase?
5bf.jpg
IpP4AT3.png

Laugh and take pride that they require coded counter measures to handle all your awesomeness, because their sad, little ego just pales next to the greatness that is you, a true gamer.

Jokerbot

Jokerbot

Grunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 24-July 14

It's not like salty nerds like mattius, gay raylor and other silver turds not rerolling 20 accounts per day. So here you go, big fake 14,776 number of "unique"-same people.

Actually cheaters do not exist and those braindead silvers "with" cheats are still ez to win so it's even unnoticeable to good players.

Git gud or quit :~)

I destroy people on console

アリア

アリア

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 27-October 14
Too much to read I just want cheaters to be gone.

Only raw skill thx

cnHtW4P.jpg

Vipertechs

Vipertechs

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2499 posts
  • Joined 23-June 12

Yeah its not like there have been, at the very least 14,776 accounts banned for cheating. And that number definitely isnt forgetting to include all silent bans.

"rarely" indeed

Wasn't it Kempington who tried to explain away to everyone how his buddy Dogfish wasn't actually cheating? It's just more of the same, from the same person, this time trying their make out that cheaters should be accepted. (Yes he was unbanned as 'it wasn't him who was cheating since the person he was account sharing with had given away the details' or some such... it doesn't explain how or why the cheater ( let us call him 'not Dogfish' ) duplicated Dogfish's voice on the stream he was cheating on Dogfish's account with.... hang on.... maybe it is because it actually WAS Dogfish cheating! But he's innocent I tell you! You can predict it to pixel perfection every time all the time! (LOL not!)

He only 'rarely' sees cheaters because of selective blindness.

Envisage Kempington, wearing a bicorne hat standing on the poop deck of HMS Reloaded.... He raises a telescope to an eye covered by a large black patch... "I see no cheats"

Perhaps it is just because he is a child without life experience that he thinks it's okay to accept cheaters - or maybe his parents failed to teach him the basic morality of right and wrong. Who knows!

Edited by Vipertechs, 25 April 2017 - 02:32 AM.

SixxstagesofMajik

SixxstagesofMajik

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4535 posts
  • Joined 28-March 15
Just how seriously should you as a developer take
the possibility of online cheating? If your game is
single-player only, then you have nothing to worry
about. But if your game is multiplayer only, the
success of your entire product is at stake… Cheating
undermines success.”
- Matt Pritchard, Game Software Developer.

There are a handful of people out there that get a
rise from destroying other people's play experience.
You can't get rid of it totally. We just try to address it
as it comes up.”
 - Minh “Gooseman” Le, Creator of Counter Strike.

That article was good read sent PM of one I read while back might like

Majikal PC Tweaks
How bad i get serious, can talk about Trump gosh darn the politics with the Syrians
You wanna ban immigrants? Start with your wife
You wanna end wih some bullshoot? Start with your life
Before ya judge think

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users