31 replies to this topic

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13
I am aware that this has been raised before, but why do we not just give all sniper rifles reverse damage drop-off?

For example - snipers deal a minimal amount of damage (or perhaps a % of their maximum damage) and deal gradually more damage until a certain range where the damage becomes it's 'default' damage (say 40-50m).

Chiefly, this would deal with the devastation that is the N-HVR-762 and also fix the other quick-switching issues associated with other snipers (mainly the scout).

It would also allow them to safely buff the damage or fire rate of other rifles (*cough* Anubis *cough*) because it wouldn't pose a risk of being used at closer ranges.

Just some food for thought.

UpholdThePeace / Lorelai / Wiley

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

I like this.

I mean, DMR is my favorite sniper (well, the only one I can play) so if this gets implemented on other snipers I might have fun with them again.

Let's however be clear that HVR needs to go from 550 dmg up close to 850 at high range, and anubis needs to start at its current damage up close and reach maybe 495 dmg at high range coz in its current state anubis is really bad.

Edited by Thehidden-Tember, 19 April 2017 - 09:01 AM.

Making indie games while I wait for the engine upgrade:

http://gamejolt.com/...duel-king/21289

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12
Let's however be clear that HVR needs to go from 550 dmg up close to 850 at high range, and anubis needs to start at its current damage up close and reach maybe 495 dmg at high range coz in its current state anubis is really bad.

The only thing the Anubis needs is its nerfs reversed.

eZVk6Xs.jpg
Lethal NL9Map SuggestionsModification ChangesThe Stories of Our CharactersSTAR✪Variants
I just want to help anyone who calls APB home.

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

The only thing the Anubis needs is its nerfs reversed.

Nah it was pretty bad before, and the nerf made it even worse.

The advantages it has on the HVR are mobility (which the scout has) a slightly faster ttk (which you obtain only by sacrificing accuracy, because it has a huge bloom after each shot) and the fact that you can switch to another gun after firing it.

For me the DMR's only drawback compared to the anubis is a sprint penalty.

The biggest problem with anubis has always been its stupid crosshair which doesn't let you know reliably if you reached max accuracy before clicking or not.

Edited by Thehidden-Tember, 19 April 2017 - 10:53 PM.

NotZombieBiscuit

NotZombieBiscuit

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Joined 04-March 11

Except that one of the major concerns with the HVR and a reason why people argue with it being OP is that HVR's on defence can just sit at 80m constantly tagging point. And if they die as long as they get a line of sight spawn its minimal down time. Get's even worse when you add two.

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

Except that one of the major concerns with the HVR and a reason why people argue with it being OP is that HVR's on defence can just sit at 80m constantly tagging point.

I actually don't see that concern being expressed many times actually.

A DMR can sit at 90m constantly tagging point and do a better job.

An HVR can do that, sure , but it can sit ANYWHERE from 0m to 100m from the point and do a great job anyway.

The main complain I hear about HVR is that in many cases it's just better than any other gun in the ranges those guns were intended for (aka QS in melee range to beat SMGs and just using cover intelligently around 40m to beat assault rifles)

And it just happens that OP's suggestion is about reducing damage in every range where the HVR is not intended to be used. And I like this suggestion. If I get killed by an HVR at 90m it's my own damn fault.

Edited by Thehidden-Tember, 20 April 2017 - 06:42 AM.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Nah it was pretty bad before, and the nerf made it even worse.

The advantages it has on the HVR are mobility (which the scout has) a slightly faster ttk (which you obtain only by sacrificing accuracy, because it has a huge bloom after each shot) and the fact that you can switch to another gun after firing it.

For me the DMR's only drawback compared to the anubis is a sprint penalty.

The biggest problem with anubis has always been its stupid crosshair which doesn't let you know reliably if you reached max accuracy before clicking or not.

It's not even funny how dumb you are, not to mention the fact that when I said they should revert the nerfs I didn't say they should revert the buffs.

eZVk6Xs.jpg
Lethal NL9Map SuggestionsModification ChangesThe Stories of Our CharactersSTAR✪Variants

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

It's not even funny how dumb you are, not to mention the fact that when I said they should revert the nerfs I didn't say they should revert the buffs.

Anubis never got a real buff.

You call improved range a buf??

underused

underused

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 21-December 15

this post is just a big joke.

its 2017 and there are people who still cant deal with HVRs

Edited by pizda))))), 21 April 2017 - 04:30 AM.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

What?

eZVk6Xs.jpg

BrandonBranderson

BrandonBranderson

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3959 posts
  • Joined 13-July 13

But... Improved range is a buff...

You even said "improved".

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

But... Improved range is a buff...

You even said "improved".

I'm not convinced by this buff.

I mean it increased the range at which you can 3shot people, sure. But at those ranges you can't hit anything reliably anyway.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

I'm not convinced by this buff.

I mean it increased the range at which you can 3shot people, sure. But at those ranges you can't hit anything reliably anyway.

19cm@10m * 0.05 = 0.95cm@10m = 9.5cm@100m.

So that's a 19cm diameter circle, as opposed to the HVR-762's 18cm circle. I'm pretty sure that 1cm at 100m doesn't make the Anubis incapable of hitting targets at 90m.

I swear you never do any research on anything you talk about.

Edited by Kewlin, 22 April 2017 - 10:16 AM.

eZVk6Xs.jpg

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13
Man threads get derailed so quickly in this forum I swear.

Just on the topic of the Anubis though, I do agree that the nerfs were totally unnecessary and should be reversed - however even if it was a 'scout' variant of the DMR the main point of the DMR was the reverse drop off and the incredible hard damage; there's just no reason to use the Anubis over any other sniper.

I digress though - the key point of snipers is to sit away from a point and watch it, not to be jumping around like a pixie flailing their FBW for a kill at 5m hence my suggestion; being annoyed at losing to a sniper from 80m away is just as silly as getting outgunned at close range by an smg or shotgun and claiming it's broken - it's what the weapon is meant to do, my suggestion is about stopping weapons from doing what they're /not/ meant to do.

Edited by UpholdThePeace, 23 April 2017 - 07:19 AM.

gold

gold

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 11-August 13

The hvr just needs to be purely removed from the game, simple as that. The way you want to nerf it will basically turn it into an other version of the dmr, which doesn't really make any sense. Actually the one thing that makes the hvr ridiculousely OP is the current spawn system, and the mobile spawn point mod.

Imo, scout is the only sniper this game needs.

Edited by radgoldie, 23 April 2017 - 09:46 AM.

GoldSalvation / Reprieve

Vanilla x L G G

Steam

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13
The DMR still has its niche over the HVR. My suggestion doesn't alter the base damage, it simply only allows it to hit that damage at a certain range. The DMR would still kill faster than the HVR after the drop off kicks in and would still do far more AV damage.

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

19cm@10m * 0.05 = 0.95cm@10m = 9.5cm@100m.

So that's a 19cm diameter circle, as opposed to the HVR-762's 18cm circle. I'm pretty sure that 1cm at 100m doesn't make the Anubis incapable of hitting targets at 90m.

I swear you never do any research on anything you talk about.

Have you even played the anubis?

What you're talking about is initial accuracy. Your first shot will probably be able to hit at that range, yes. But after that the bloom becomes really high for a long duration, which forces you to shoot much slower than your min fire interval of 0.770s. If you want full accuracy, considering the bloom delay and recovery you actually need recovery_delay+shot_modifier/recovery_per_second = 0.7+1/6 = 0.8666 s. Shoot any faster than this and you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Oh and remember the one mechanic that was added when variable recoil was trendy. The variable recoil between shots actually makes it harder to aim with an anubis than if it didn't have it.

This is not the fire rate at which I want to use my anubis. I'd rather take a DMR which has with the same maths an optimal fire delay of 0.7666s, and higher damage especially at long ranges.

The anubis had no niche, and increasing its range has not given it a new niche.

Edited by Thehidden-Tember, 23 April 2017 - 11:55 PM.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Have you even played the anubis?

What you're talking about is initial accuracy. Your first shot will probably be able to hit at that range, yes. But after that the bloom becomes really high for a long duration, which forces you to shoot much slower than your min fire interval of 0.770s. If you want full accuracy, considering the bloom delay and recovery you actually need recovery_delay+shot_modifier/recovery_per_second = 0.7+1/6 = 0.8666 s. Shoot any faster than this and you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Oh and remember the one mechanic that was added when variable recoil was trendy. The variable recoil between shots actually makes it harder to aim with an anubis than if it didn't have it.

This is not the fire rate at which I want to use my anubis. I'd rather take a DMR which has with the same maths an optimal fire delay of 0.7666s, and higher damage especially at long ranges.

The anubis had no niche, and increasing its range has not given it a new niche.

I know, being guaranteed to land the first shot and being able to slow down to get guaranteed shots instead of shooting full speed at its effective range certainly isn't a buff.

The reason you can just say "I'd rather use my DMR" and have no contestation is because they removed the only reason that the Anubis existed, which was it's mobility that was superior to every other sniper in the game, and then at add insult to injury they made the ISSR-B three times the gun the NCR ever was. If you're going to deny that high movement speeds, instant scope-in times, and great hip and jump fire accuracy, as well as (at the time) a good TTK for a sniper rifle aren't a niche, you'd just wrong, there's no other way to put it.

Edited by Kewlin, 24 April 2017 - 08:19 AM.

eZVk6Xs.jpg

Hollowchick

Hollowchick

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

My proposal:

We should take the HVRs and push them somewhere else

Edited by Hollowchick, 24 April 2017 - 08:26 AM.

No, I am not that guy named "h0llow" who is AFKing on Citadel Social all the time, proof here. My characters are called "Hollowchick" and "Hoilowchick" so please stop mixing us up, thank you.

My brother in law is a prison guard, turns out that place is also full of "false positives".

TheHidden-Tember

TheHidden-Tember

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 25-June 13

If you're going to deny that high movement speeds, instant scope-in times, and great hip and jump fire accuracy, as well as (at the time) a good TTK for a sniper rifle aren't a niche, you'd just wrong, there's no other way to put it.

Fair enough, I won't deny this.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Fair enough, I won't deny this.

<3

I'm not saying the Anubis was ever meta or anything, but it was viable (if you can look past the sight like me.)

eZVk6Xs.jpg

Allie

Allie

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Joined 19-February 13

<3

I'm not saying the Anubis was ever meta or anything, but it was viable (if you can look past the sight like me.)

Next legendary: NCR-762 "Normal" Adeen

• "A normal hunting sight 3 modification"
  • Open slot
  • Closed slot

Joke aside, I really hope they remove the 'legendary' scope it has all together. The weapon is extremely desirable (For me at least) for the stats it has. But the special crosshair just hides all the potential like it hides the people you try to shoot.

Edited by Allie, 26 April 2017 - 02:55 AM.

icon_shotgun_nfas.pngicon_rifle_oscar.png9iWYS3B.png?1P4D7AON.png?1icon_assaultrifle_vespatactical.pngicon_assaultrifle_star_pink.pngicon_sniperrifle_hvr243_purple.pngicon_smg_oca_sd_whisper_purple.png766n0yM.png?1BhcVPGY.png?1vmqgGpC.png?1icon_rifle_obeyabattlerifle_bipod_gold.picon_lightmachinegun_ssw_gold.pngicon_sniperrifle_ncr762_gold.pngicon_rifle_ffa-jb_gold.pngicon_rifle_ffa_gold.pnghywy7is.png?1X8z09bb.png?1icon_pistol_colbyclassic.pngicon_pistol_snubnose_pink.pngicon_ltl_tazer.pngicon_pistol_nano_gold.pngyev6KIJ.png?1icon_grenade_ltl.png9H0r7U1.pngfnmod_character_blowtorch.png

Citadel (EU)                                                                  

Futaku q2aboCp.png?1 *******(old) XACMtje.png?1  xAllie 03bCAtj.png?1  | Valentines 2017: Permanent cherubs.icon_reward_vinyl.png fnmod_weapon_4roundburst.png fnmod_character_hardlanding.png

Hollowchick

Hollowchick

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

<3

Quite literally impossible to look past it however

No, I am not that guy named "h0llow" who is AFKing on Citadel Social all the time, proof here. My characters are called "Hollowchick" and "Hoilowchick" so please stop mixing us up, thank you.

My brother in law is a prison guard, turns out that place is also full of "false positives".

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Next legendary: NCR-762 "Normal" Adeen

• "A normal hunting sight 3 modification"
  • Open slot
  • Closed slot

Joke aside, I really hope they remove the 'legendary' scope it has all together. The weapon is extremely desirable (For me at least) for the stats it has. But the special crosshair just hides all the potential like it hides the people you try to shoot.

I personally would like to see G1 add the option to disable unique sights instead, 'cause I personally like the Anubis sight, but IDK.

eZVk6Xs.jpg

Allie

Allie

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Joined 19-February 13

I personally would like to see G1 add the option to disable unique sights instead, 'cause I personally like the Anubis sight, but IDK.

Maybe do the same for the HM scope. I really don't know when a shot is fully accurate with that.

Edited by Allie, 26 April 2017 - 09:26 AM.

icon_shotgun_nfas.pngicon_rifle_oscar.png9iWYS3B.png?1P4D7AON.png?1icon_assaultrifle_vespatactical.pngicon_assaultrifle_star_pink.pngicon_sniperrifle_hvr243_purple.pngicon_smg_oca_sd_whisper_purple.png766n0yM.png?1BhcVPGY.png?1vmqgGpC.png?1icon_rifle_obeyabattlerifle_bipod_gold.picon_lightmachinegun_ssw_gold.pngicon_sniperrifle_ncr762_gold.pngicon_rifle_ffa-jb_gold.pngicon_rifle_ffa_gold.pnghywy7is.png?1X8z09bb.png?1icon_pistol_colbyclassic.pngicon_pistol_snubnose_pink.pngicon_ltl_tazer.pngicon_pistol_nano_gold.pngyev6KIJ.png?1icon_grenade_ltl.png9H0r7U1.pngfnmod_character_blowtorch.png

Citadel (EU)                                                                  

Futaku q2aboCp.png?1 *******(old) XACMtje.png?1  xAllie 03bCAtj.png?1  | Valentines 2017: Permanent cherubs.icon_reward_vinyl.png fnmod_weapon_4roundburst.png fnmod_character_hardlanding.png

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Maybe do the same for the HM scope. I really don't know when a shot is fully accurate with that.

You mean you can't see the tiny bloom indicators that totally blend in with the rest of the reticule?! FOR SHAME!

eZVk6Xs.jpg

アリア

アリア

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 27-October 14
Add bullet drop and trail to snipers

Edited by アリア, 29 April 2017 - 04:45 AM.

cnHtW4P.jpg

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Add bullet drop and trail to snipers

That's the opposite of helpful.

We want sniper rifles to be effective at range but not in CQC.

eZVk6Xs.jpg

NotZombieBiscuit

NotZombieBiscuit

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Joined 04-March 11

That's the opposite of helpful.

We want sniper rifles to be effective at range but not in CQC.

Actually I think the questions to ask is how do you make snipers fun to play and fun to play against. Not if they are effective at certain ranges.

Kewlin

Kewlin

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7220 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Actually I think the questions to ask is how do you make snipers fun to play and fun to play against. Not if they are effective at certain ranges.

Yes, but the fact that the HVR is scary AF from 0-100m is the main reason it's so un-fun to play against.

eZVk6Xs.jpg

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13

rip post

Edited by UpholdThePeace, 04 May 2017 - 11:38 PM.

UpholdThePeace

UpholdThePeace

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13

Yes, but the fact that the HVR is scary AF from 0-100m is the main reason it's so un-fun to play against.

Though I do think Zombie has a point as well - there's a certain amount of frustration that appears when you finally clear an objective and there's 3 guys with a carspawn at 100m waiting to shoot your butt.

But I do think the issue with that is the broken spawn system rather than the design of the gun;

Getting angry at a HVR killing you from 100m is like getting angry at being outgunned by an SMG in close-quarters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users