56 replies to this topic

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Hello all,

I am currently seeking advice as to a beast melee build since they are still the underdogs in the game.

Thanks in advance.

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Hello all,

I am currently seeking advice as to a beast melee build since they are still the underdogs in the game.

Thanks in advance.

Define "Underdogs"....

• 7m range
  • Best possible movement speed in-game.
  • Has the easiest access to the following...
    • 183 Power (Not a huge advantage over 153... but an advantage)
    • Lack of requirement of +X weapon skill stance due to +10 skill modifier.
    • Telekinesis
    • Illumination
    • Decent Group Tactics tier w/o going high intelligence.

Melee's only downside is range... and most fights are forced into furballs which are within that 7m range.

Nysek - Mednaught : The only character in FE made of Gammina™

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Special thanks to Thrillchase for ze banner.

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

DAMN good to hear. Back in the day Melee was BEAST then they nerfed it so badly it forced everyone to change to range. Any idea where I can go to look at good builds?

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

DAMN good to hear. Back in the day Melee was BEAST then they nerfed it so badly it forced everyone to change to range. Any idea where I can go to look at good builds?

I'll post one maybe later, but I'm sure there's plenty of bads still here that can give a decent melee build :D

1H Build

2H Build

That didn't take much time, no?

Edited by Reaps989, 01 January 2016 - 08:06 PM.

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

How far back was .... back in the day?

Just wondering

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Just wondering

I believe just after they nerfed the electric hammers of death >_>

Honestly melee was a bit more balanced before you factored in a few things thanks to 2.6....

• Power used to be a % reduction of total current armor, not a flat % armor penetration.
  • Even with 7m range, charge was effective on all builds allowing kiting to some degree.
  • Renew was the only likely snarebreak unless going 180 for Nades/Captrops/etc
  • Most didn't learn how the game functioned, period, even well into 2.6.
  • 3 charge shots....
  • D&W/Sabo/Patho
  • Social
  • GORE
  • etc.

Now during 1.9 to 2.4, it wasn't to terrible besides a few things.

• Power sucked after 1-2 armor cuts.
  • Low cooldown charge shots. (7s)
  • Not all armor cuts stacked (Dirty Steel 6 -> Bend Metal 1-7 -> Overwhelm was the only stacking method that worked 100% of the time.
    • Lower ranks of Dirty Steel would require Bend Metal first, otherwise they'd simply keep overwriting one another.
  • Primal was almost completely worthless unless played entirely to it's role, otherwise Beast Might was still viable.
    • If Primal Vigor was simply upgraded and Rampage lost the 50% stamina hit like it did in the last combat patch it would've been fine.
  • Dodge sucked, period. (Now dodge is more viable as power is far more threatening)
    • The stance would work great on longer delay weapons, but while being alpha'ed you'd be screwed.
  • Dirty Steel 6 could not be dispelled.
    • Well... minus Shake it Off 6. But I doubt anyone knew that besides me.
  • No shotgun upgrade past 164, and no real decent upgrades for rifles past 180.... :(
    • Not that it was a huge deal, but people crying about Streetsweepers and Coyles when they weren't even breaking 90 DPS... lawl.
  • Lack of equalizer debuff for a long time, until RFDC ruined S2/S3 for all 55's that were simply there to harvest or do missions.
    • Should've been in place years ago. If you can't capture the flag you shouldn't beable to be effective in the zone.
      • Or the debuff should have worked well enough to keep people out that shouldn't be there.
  • Social was terrible in every possible situation :(
    • Dat Diplomatic Immunity doe, all dem resists but can't even heal xD
  • Illumination was laughable.
    • Well the aura was still viable... but endless reserves was only worth it in PVE unless nobody knew you were hurting your HP by 25%
  • Vital Osmosis had a 2 second cast time for a cone AoE you had to aim.... still loved it tho.
  • Sonic was bad unless AoE bomb trolling, even then HW was better.
    • Long cooldown, requires you to stand still, and interrupts while attacking?... Ya I'm gonna go with the trolltastic rockets of death.
  • Most mutations would never be used outside of equipped due to requiring you to stand still and also interrupt on attack.

But I'd take 1.9 over 2.4/2.5/2.6 any day of the week... if they simply skipped GORE and the previous combat system (2.6) until the current combat system (3.2) we'd actually be in a solid spot. Especially since they wouldn't have had silly ideas for augmentation and stats in general.

Thanks to GORE, Burst META, D&W/Sabo/Patho, and of course Social... ya people simply got frustrated and left.

But that's ok... maybe they'll try to release another decent update which brings us back to 800+ on steam charts for 2 months before ignoring the new population they got once again.

Edited by Reaps989, 01 January 2016 - 10:28 PM.

Posted Image

AgentNoir

AgentNoir

Ascended

• Members
  • 3718 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Ehh main thing hurting melee currently is pistol damage is so high, but melee has consistency. Highest burst of speed but nowhere like it used to sit for consistent speed(all this stuff has been nerfed from what it used to be, but melee has a 8 sec buff or 6 sec, dont play enough to remember, that at the highest rank is a 30% speed buff but cancels on attack and can be stacked with smokespheres and dash but smokespheres use your defensive cooldown). And the vast majority don't know how to properly punish or play skills well, but not a big deal as regens even without regen skills is insane.

Very very different from how it used to be. Nysek linked 2 offensive melee focused builds that will do the trick.

Just wondering

Depends on the nerf they are focusing on though. There's been a few to it that have affected it but the most recent being the kinetic hammer nerf, but I doubt that is the one they are referencing. Probably 1 of the nerfs in the first 6 months or prior.

Welcome back twista though, you checking it out with other people or you just happen to be popping by again like people tend to?

Heretic
Nysak

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Ehh main thing hurting melee currently is pistol damage is so high, but melee has consistency. Highest burst of speed but nowhere like it used to sit for consistent speed(all this stuff has been nerfed from what it used to be, but melee has a 8 sec buff or 6 sec, dont play enough to remember, that at the highest rank is a 30% speed buff but cancels on attack and can be stacked with smokespheres and dash but smokespheres use your defensive cooldown). And the vast majority don't know how to properly punish or play skills well, but not a big deal as regens even without regen skills is insane.

Very very different from how it used to be. Nysek linked 2 offensive melee focused builds that will do the trick.

Depends on the nerf they are focusing on though. There's been a few to it that have affected it but the most recent being the kinetic hammer nerf, but I doubt that is the one they are referencing. Probably 1 of the nerfs in the first 6 months or prior.

Welcome back twista though, you checking it out with other people or you just happen to be popping by again like people tend to?

And sadly I forgot to add pistol reload nerf rather than a proper rescaling of pistols.... they didn't exactly give much of any choice during open testing -_-

But I guess it's better than 160-170 DPS pistols due to minor damage and HUGE delay nerfs.

Edited by Reaps989, 02 January 2016 - 05:30 AM.

Posted Image

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Just wondering

Sang! You still play, amazing. I played beta through 2012. I was a part of the Saints and Exile. My wife also played, her name was Devil Angel and Angel Devil. Good to hear from you.

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

I started playing again. I actually deleted the old Twista that was a level 50, just to relearn the game again. Glad to be getting responses here.

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

Sang! You still play, amazing. I played beta through 2012. I was a part of the Saints and Exile. My wife also played, her name was Devil Angel and Angel Devil. Good to hear from you.

Ooohhh so it is you ..I had hoped but wasn't positive, I remember both of you well (mostly from killing me <3)

yeah I'm still around, will be till Tiggs lets me take my BoS monument with me or they turn off the lights.

Welcome back ... and feel free to send me a message since I don't know what name your under now. 

I'm till Sang & Sweet Sang in game.

Necro

Necro

Respected

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Joined 31-August 14

I started playing again. I actually deleted the old Twista that was a level 50, just to relearn the game again. Glad to be getting responses here.

do your self a favor, get out now and quit while you still have your dignity.

Qween, Qweeen, Rouge Angel

"Your only in heretic because you have tlts"

I AM QWEEN

To [Madsideswipe] Gratz bro, wanna know what a puss@y taste like?
From [Madsideswipe] raw fish i have tasted b4 lol

[Amber Black] says: rage toggle

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Ooohhh so it is you ..I had hoped but wasn't positive, I remember both of you well (mostly from killing me <3)

yeah I'm still around, will be till Tiggs lets me take my BoS monument with me or they turn off the lights.

Welcome back ... and feel free to send me a message since I don't know what name your under now. 

I'm till Sang & Sweet Sang in game.

I remade Twista, so that is my main account. I will add you this evening for sure. I just hit level 21 so I have alot of work to do. I assume you still have your EPIC crafter!

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

do your self a favor, get out now and quit while you still have your dignity.

Honestly, I was very surprised the game was still live.

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

I remade Twista, so that is my main account. I will add you this evening for sure. I just hit level 21 so I have alot of work to do. I assume you still have your EPIC crafter!

Of course ..let me know if you need anything

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Of course ..let me know if you need anything

SWEET!!!!! I will be on in approximately 4 hours. Talk to you then.

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Well then you played up to 1.9, so you didn't really lose much besides Charge's low cooldown which everyone lost.

For the most part, you thankfully missed 2.4/2.5/2.6 so I guess be thankful for that. But I would say you'd be sad about missing Outpost and the new combat system update which we shot back up to 800+ for two months on the steam charts.

Posted Image

AgentNoir

AgentNoir

Ascended

• Members
  • 3718 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Yeah I remember you started playing again for a short while in saints around then. Good to see you back hope you enjoy your stay. Some decent information on the forums and they actually have skill information ingame now.

Heretic
Nysak

johnnywadd

johnnywadd

Conscript

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11

Is Primal good?

Posted Image
Posted Image

JinzoFrisco

JinzoFrisco

Initiate

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 26-November 15

Is Primal good?

God tier

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Is Primal good?

Much better without the 1s to 5s nonsense we had before. Especially since Rampage no longer hits stamina by 50% when it fades.

God tier

Eh... I'd say TK > Primal, unless HP stacking.

Posted Image

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

Is Primal good?

WB to you also

AgentNoir

AgentNoir

Ascended

• Members
  • 3718 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

Is Primal good?

Has it's uses but it depends on what and how you plan to use it. 1v1 or group it can work out if you play around it.

Heretic
Nysak

Twista

Twista

Initiate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 31-July 11

Johnny Wad, bro how have you been?

Sang

Sang

Respected

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-August 11

*Spies a peeking Pidian as well and waves*

johnnywadd

johnnywadd

Conscript

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11

I'm thinking it shotty time after the duels I had this evening, got ****d and I wasn't even drunk :P like usual

Posted Image
Posted Image

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

I'm thinking it shotty time after the duels I had this evening, got ****d and I wasn't even drunk :P like usual

141 Power/Precision, 154 Rifle, and 162 TK 4tw.

You could go 153 Power, 141 Precision, and 190 Rifle... but you'll be tight as hell on points.

Edited by Reaps989, 06 January 2016 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

Azherthese

Azherthese

Novice

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 06-October 14

141 Power/Precision, 154 Rifle, and 162 TK 4tw.

You could go 153 Power, 141 Precision, and 190 Rifle... but you'll be tight as hell on points.

This definitely a solid choice...

Or you could go glass cannon! 400+ crits ftw! 

Azherthese - Eryxium - Oeryaux - Wingless Butterfly - Trypheus - Psilhouette

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

This definitely a solid choice...

Or you could go glass cannon! 400+ crits ftw! 

Define "Glass Cannon"... since the only thing missing from a TK setup is Dirty Tricks. Plus power only scales so high, most of power's stats are from gear/buffs/procs.

Since you can only net a set amount of damage and shotguns tend to use Charge Shots meaning a large sum of stamina is needed. Thus most would recommend ignoring Dirty Tricks.

Not saying it doesn't work, with Vitamin Shots it's not as bad.

Posted Image

Azherthese

Azherthese

Novice

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 06-October 14

Define "Glass Cannon"... since the only thing missing from a TK setup is Dirty Tricks. Plus power only scales so high, most of power's stats are from gear/buffs/procs.

Since you can only net a set amount of damage and shotguns tend to use Charge Shots meaning a large sum of stamina is needed. Thus most would recommend ignoring Dirty Tricks.

Not saying it doesn't work, with Vitamin Shots it's not as bad.

http://planer.fallen...10101010101B401

johnnywadd

johnnywadd

Conscript

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 13-October 11

So it looks like 550k dt for the ap weapon.

been awhile is the bloodsports grind the fastest way to get DT still?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Necro

Necro

Respected

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Joined 31-August 14

assault is fastest

Qween, Qweeen, Rouge Angel

"Your only in heretic because you have tlts"

I AM QWEEN

To [Madsideswipe] Gratz bro, wanna know what a puss@y taste like?
From [Madsideswipe] raw fish i have tasted b4 lol

[Amber Black] says: rage toggle

Azherthese

Azherthese

Novice

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 06-October 14

Yes and no... It is still technically the fastest way, but it rarely pops. I've found that now you just have to hope TR is in a zergy mood for a couple weeks so you can grind LB DT nodes. That's the real fastest way. 

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

http://planer.fallen...10101010101B401

I'll fix that when I get off work >_>

That isn't exactly "glass" tho.

• 171 vs 141 is simply 1% more armor pen for 70 AP... not worth it.
  • Higher GT when you can simply reach 180 for 15 power, again, not worth it.
    • Both of these investments could go towards 186 FA.
  • 180 TK is nice, but 162 again helps the above cause.

So thus we get this build which has a few differences.

• 1% less Armor Pen and Critical Chance
  • 307 less armor reduction (Which ya, just means you're looking at green paste)
  • 11% dodge passive (Will make a huge difference in incoming damage, surprisingly)
    • If the enemy has 10% armor pen you reduce it by 1.1, thus making it 8.9.
      • Whole numbers only count in passives so it becomes 8% armor pen.
    • Works the same for Precision.
  • Stronger snare clear and Heal

Or simply ignore SW 7 and go with this.

• Extra, and stronger, snareclear.
  • 20% maximum health heal/buffer (Long cooldown but can be used while attacking)
  • Extra armor buffer 50% of the time. (449/539/539)
  • Dash 2... nuff said.
  • 478 less armor reduction
  • 2% less critical chance
  • 1% less armor penetration
  • 12% dodge passive
  • 1% less Armor Use passive

Obviously I'd choose the second, not to say that full offense is "bad" by any means. But I'd probably slap sonic in there for a second snare, even at rank 1. (Or 20s of snare if you know how to properly overwrite snares :troll_face:)

But if you want to stick to that setup, be more efficient with it to keep your DPS up.

• 11% dodge passive
  • 1% less armor penetration
  • 1% less critical chance
  • 1% higher Armor Use (1% total bonus resist)
  • 21 less health

Still say a full primal troll rocking 1459 health (Full health consumes) before Defensive Suit or maximum HP trinket and 1750 health after Save Yourself is probably one of the lamest things to fight in group vs group if people probably heal them.

And for those wondering it's 1541 with Suit & Blight Wolf Tail (/w Save Yourself 1849 healt)h w/o defensive helm and 1556 (/w Save Yourself 1867 health) with defensive helm.

One might debate if 36 health is worth losing Paste (regen & 300 armor) or Speed, which neither is a terrible trade off. The 75 and 80 health from Science and Tent buff are hard to really make up for tho.

Edited by Reaps989, 08 January 2016 - 08:16 AM.

Posted Image

_yy_

_yy_

Conscript

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 16-October 14

Yes and no... It is still technically the fastest way, but it rarely pops. I've found that now you just have to hope TR is in a zergy mood for a couple weeks so you can grind LB DT nodes. That's the real fastest way. 

haha, there's an art to farm lb dt node, you can't stay for too long or  you will get swarmed.

Edited by _yy_, 07 January 2016 - 06:48 PM.

R.I.P  Banned for flagging up.

AgentNoir

AgentNoir

Ascended

• Members
  • 3718 posts
  • Joined 23-January 13

haha, there's an art to farm lb dt node, you can't stay for too long or  you will get swarmed.

What sort of art is this it's the same 'dont be an idiot' rule for 4 years now.

Heretic
Nysak

Azherthese

Azherthese

Novice

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 06-October 14

All you need is a competent team a little over half the size of TR's and you're good to harvest until they run like fuzzy bunnyes(2-3 fights tops). :D

Edit: And even with only 2-3 fights you get about 30-60k which is still better than most days of BS. 

Edited by Azherthese, 08 January 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Stalker2001

Stalker2001

Conscript

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 09-September 15

Demn builds without dodge by top pvp experts, then you like a Kinky would complain about unexpected 2x crits(Nysek's story about his duel with Kinky).
Twista use dodge, don't listen them if you want to live a bit longer

"The GamersFirst support team is committed to preserving the integrity and fairness of the game for all players."

3-HZlD6_Dz4.jpg
Original and rerolls: Disnuke, Walking Disaster, Nuclear Disaster, Lady Disaster, Skripka, Egao, Em Shady

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Demn builds without dodge by top pvp experts, then you like a Kinky would complain about unexpected 2x crits(Nysek's story about his duel with Kinky).
Twista use dodge, don't listen them if you want to live a bit longer

Kinky is more about full offense generally, sadly when I told him "dodge was useful" I didn't mean a ton. Not that it's bad, but only if you have extra points.

But yes, Kinky did lose 3 times to "unexpected crits" before a huge change in accuracy... but we'll leave that be before Kinky gets all defensive again. Even tho every crappy player in Dinc has been caught hacking after suddenly getting better.

Funny how that works ;D

Edit : But yes, some dodge is better than no dodge. And I'd sooner go 157 AU before considering not having 55-60 dodge.

Edited by Reaps989, 09 January 2016 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

tanqueray

tanqueray

Initiate

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 16-March 12

this is my build

desmond armando, smirrnoff, tanquerayy, tanqueraay, tannq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users