Sign in to follow this  
Swibby

Will you guys wipe the unmerged names?

The server merge was about 4 years ago so I assume that the people who hasn't logged in since then probably won't even care if they have to change name or not if they ever come back.

Thoughts?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm up to this idea

Agree. Almost every single name is used already, or more like - reserved for pre-merge players.

It makes purchasing the name change on armas rather useless.

Wipe the banned account names too , if already so many accounts are perma banned , then they have no further use and name shouldn't be in use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanaSong said:

Wipe the banned account names too , if already so many accounts are perma banned , then they have no further use and name shouldn't be in use.

Well, they're unbanning some/most banned players I thought, or just FF'd players. So those will be returned to their owners, but I feel other names that are currently held by unmerged players should be freed up. 

Edited by KMS
  • Like 1

i assume they’ll wait to wipe names until after the mass unbanning expected to happen at some point this year, although imo it wouldn’t really be an issue

I feel like names of banned players shouldn't be released though. You wouldn't want to get the name of somebody who was cheating, as other players may instantly report you for being them.

@BXNNXD, totally unrelated but when did you become a hero recruiter?

18 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I feel like names of banned players shouldn't be released though. You wouldn't want to get the name of somebody who was cheating, as other players may instantly report you for being them.

@BXNNXD, totally unrelated but when did you become a hero recruiter?

what

1 hour ago, KMS said:

Well, they're unbanning some/most banned players I thought, or just FF'd players. So those will be returned to their owners, but I feel other names that are currently held by unmerged players should be freed up. 

FFBan players, I taught scammers were unbanned too.

A banned account usually means the names attached to it, is also banned and will remain unobtainable, incase said account(s) get unbanned.

• Like 1

Forcing name changes is a slippery slope fellas. I understand some of you want better names, but if I don't play the game for 1yr, 2yr, etc. I don't deserve to lose my name from an RTW character. Especially not after spending a lot of $$$ on this game. Maybe you can make an argument for banned players, etc. but that can have a lot of issue of stigma. XYZ gets banned, someone unrelated makes a new character called XYZ, and now it makes the system look ineffective or shady at best.

I've also had to fight to keep my in-game name so I'm a bit sensitive on this subject.

Edited by Rumple
  • Like 2

They didn't care .. ... ... untill LO took over *mwuahahahahahahaaaa*   ... naah they still don't care.

+1 on this idea! 

1 hour ago, BXNNXD said:

what

Please you can't tell me you don't know RGB from The Property of Hate! 😧

2 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Please you can't tell me you don't know RGB from The Property of Hate! 😧

what

7 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

what

Please Enjoy

Note that it is extremely confusing, truthful and addictive.

5 hours ago, HanaSong said:

Hold up, I am still waiting on my account to get unbanned. If they wipe all the names of accounts banned right now, I could lose my characters! Which sucks cause I was banned just before the merge.

EDIT:

I get what you're trying to say, and yes I agree with you, but I think banned accounts should be untouched, maybe even all. What if someone comes back to see that all their stuff is gone. Welp, looks like their chances of actually playing again have went to 1%.

Edited by Goldtiger
Clarification

hey I was thinking about something, how about a server unmerging once we get to decent playercounts, I personally would like to have the greatest server in APB history back which is Colby NA BEST, i'm tired of this abomination Jericho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nessie said:

Please Enjoy

Note that it is extremely confusing, truthful and addictive.

oh

no i just have a strange fascination with object heads

edit: i forgot @NotZombieBiscuit ruined unlimited reactions for everyone

Edited by BXNNXD
reaction limit

I think a name release in general is a good idea, but I don't think banned characters should lose their names. If someone was a cheater and was toxic to the community, then I don't want to see their name running around afterwards, too much potential for grief and drama.

6 hours ago, HanaSong said:

+1

Pre-server merge, G1 did free up inactive names when we had 2 each servers for NA and EU. They did this on a inactive timer and if the character/account had no purchases. That was actually done right.

What I'd like to avoid is the mess that went down at the server merge for NA...where they decided to take a different method for merging NA versus how they did EU.

See, lot of the names were free after the server merge although being actually taken (the inactive ones, justly) -- G1 didn't have a consistent transition when they merged so a lot of names were actually up for grabs Day One of the merge. It was only after a few hours in when they realized they messed up something big and had to change the system it on the fly. This caused active players to potentially lose their original names, some players to keep their grabbed names, inactive players to sit on names they'll never comeback to, and "restricted" names being available. That's why you see random people today with "edgy" names like "how the heck did you get that name".

In fact, from my salty experience myself, I had a name I lost this way which I actively used since RTW...and because of the mess, I couldn't actually rename through their "forced name change" system until 2-3 years later. Heck, support couldn't even do it, they abandoned the ticket several times). In that time the name was just "given" to another user.

So yeah, if they can figure out a way to undo that garbage "reserved" system they implemented post-merge and avoid that issue again-- this is welcomed. Otherwise, a lot of active players names will be lost.

• Like 1

i hope they do this , but only if it's after the mass unbanning ,  otherwise i can see a wave of angry players spamming forums and support 😅

I would pay for a name change on US server, if there just weren't an unsettled dispute between still un-merged R9 and R10 characters over it...

Sign in to follow this