Sign in to follow this  
Letter

How to kill a comminity in the most efficient way

Just allow the karma to drop below zero and people will stop posting. I bet you don't believe me so here are some examples: Reddit has removed negative karma for posting because it kills the posting - and Reddit; Facebook didn't have it from beginning - and took over our whole planet.

6 minutes ago, Letter said:

Just allow the karma to drop below zero and people will stop posting. I bet you don't believe me so here are some examples: Reddit has removed negative karma for posting because it kills the posting - and Reddit; Facebook didn't have it from beginning - and took over our whole planet.

I honestly don't care about the forums, I only use it to talk to devs and other clan leaders. If you are on forums you aren't playing. My excuse is I am banned. Although since I know you are a awesome dude I will give you a like tomorrow.

So here is an IOU.

4 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

Counter Argument. Youtube. kthxbye.

Yup, that's exactly how I use YouTube's "community" - "kthkxbye"

And thanks, Puffdragon! In-game I'm actually moderately awesome - I gift my clothing to new players to cheer them up and save their pennies for cars and Clotting Agent 2 + I do my best to fashion-up Citadel GM team by sending them my clothing (they are rocking trainee costumes by default). But on forums karma goes negative - then what's even the point to post on them anymore having stigma of the past? Instead I'll just continue to browse APB's sub-Reddit for stuff that matters (although it happens only once in a blue moon lately).

1 minute ago, Letter said:

Yup, that's exactly how I use YouTube's "community" - "kthkxbye"

Your opinions are no facts, a Rate System with positive and Negative options hasn't killed any "comminity" ever. so what's your point again?

Thats what i adviced...

No likes or dislikes loaded to the profile but posts for obvious reasons.

If they want some kind of positive rate, it should be given by our community manager (not mods), like a medal or something for good behaviour or helpful posts.

Look the community already had a toxic environment, I can't imagine a dislike button is going to kill off the community any sooner. 

Negative comments can be constructive criticism if handled as such by either the sender or receiver, it is equally on the sender to be constructive as it is on the receiver to take feed back on as such.

Personally I think not having a dislike is healthy as it's another way for people to express themselves. Not having a dislike is only going to have people write out more negatively in the comments instead.

It also feels a bit childish that as adults we can't dislike something, I want to say political correct or mother henning of the site's host almost.

It's down everyone to be responsible enough to not go crazy with it... I guess that's why GamerFirst locked the number of likes to prevent some sort of perceived elitism or popularity content.

Dude it's just a number!

Edited by VickyFox

I always felt the system of "only likes" is simply unbalanced and pointless. But then again, I don't think all that karma thing has any big impact on the community.

Though I would prefer if dislikes were anonymous. Knowing how childish people can be, if a member gets a downvote they will most likely go give downvotes back to that person just for revenge.

Edited by Nessie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I always felt the system of "only likes" is simply unbalanced and pointless. But then again, I don't think all that karma thing has any big impact on the community.

When you like a post, its as if you agree with the poster without needing to add any further comment. Meanwhile disliking you don't provide any valueable criticism. 

6 minutes ago, Nessie said:

Though I would prefer if dislikes were anonymous. Knowing how childish people can be, if a member gets a downvote they will most likely go give downvotes back to that person just for revenge.

I was thinking that there was a little bit of the potential for revenge down voting, but making down voters anonymous does pose the risk for forum trolling.

Edited by VickyFox

1 minute ago, Mercedeez said:

When you like a post, its as if you agree with the poster without needing to add any further comment. Meanwhile disliking you don't provide any valueable criticism. 

This is true, but still incomplete.

If for example a subject is controversial and you have a large number of people both agreeing and disagreeing, being able to give only likes means that at first look the post looks like popular, even if maybe it isn't. Of course proper criticism is necessary, but that can be said in all cases not only for disliking.

1 minute ago, VickyFox said:

I was thinking that it was a little bit of the potential for revenge down voting but making down voters anonymous does pose the risk for forum trolling.

In my personal opinion forum trolling might be easier when you can see who to target, coming from the experiences of other forums that adopted similar systems. In general I feel a simple clean and anonymous mechanism like that of reddit or imgur is the best trade of functionality and risk.

25 minutes ago, Nessie said:

That just happened to me

• Like 1

Lixil said something yesterday already in a different post about the Like/Dislike situation.

b9153b8a3fbfd78df63b88ab223fa7be.png

I feel that the ‘Dislike’ button is enough outlet for some people, for them to not reply with any variation of ‘you’re an idiot’ in the same thread. So it has a certain degree of anti-toxicity, as long as you don’t care about something as indifferent as karma on a forum full of people you mostly don’t know.

Rq1FPa7.gif

i’m aiming for a billion karma i hope the community joins me on this wonderful journey

• Like 3

I like the ability to dislike a post. Gives me a chance to see quickly who's trolling and who's just trying to get an unpopular opinion out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i’m aiming for a billion karma i hope the community joins me on this wonderful journey

Only billion?What about 2 billions?

Just now, Kingley said:

Only billion?What about 2 billions?

i like to keep my goals down to earth

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

i like to keep my goals down to earth

2 billions is a really reasonable number

54 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

I'm hoping to get 500 dislikes by years end.

Yeah , I know, I need to piss-off a helleva a lot peeps to get there.

But I'm comttited like that. 

Giving you an upvote so'z you get closer to your goal.

Edited by Westford

Just now, Westford said:

I'm hoping to get 500 dislikes by years end.

Yeah , I know, I need to pissue off a helleva a lot people to get there.

But I'm comttited like that. 

Giving you an upvote so'z you get closer to your goal.

favor returned friend

If all it takes is downvotes to make trash posters go away then it's a good thing.

• Like 1