An upgrade to UE4 will come with MAYBE better sky box right off the bat, better bloom, better lighting environments, simpler/quicker integration of new content. It will not suddenly upgrade models and textures. APB has (i think) 3 LOD (levels of detail) for every model apart from the characters which I think has 1 which is what we see then invisible at distance and only transforms (position|rotation) is tracked. If you walk around you see then fading in and out the closer you get to buildings etc.

I remember the lead artist from RTW told me that every building in APB is unique (he told me this face to face at his wedding - I was the wedding photographer for Tahir Rashid 🙂 ) so if they are to upgrade the maps etc they have to adjust every single building and every texture maybe with 3 levels of detail. I really cant see that happening. I have been working on a game in Unity for around 4 years and in between times would go in to APB to look closely at walls and textures etc.. Its very very big. My main openworld game map is around 50% the size of Waterfront and took almost 2 years to build and it was continually tweaked right up till I stopped working on the game about 3 months ago! (i built all the models from scratch also and coded it in C# - UE is c++ for anyone who didnt already know that).

From what I can gather, LO are upgrading to UE4 so that they can implement new toys for us to play with and repair buggy code. New game modes will be quicker to implement with UE4. Also from what I can gather from Matts posts and Q & A, it will not be even nearly feasible with the current engine and will still be very much more time consuming with 3.5 but I could be wrong. I have the same amount of info as everyone else here 🙂

I think I might make a video of the current state of my game just for curiosities sake and post it in the off topic section.

An upgrade to UE4 will come with MAYBE better sky box right off the bat, better bloom, better lighting environments, simpler/quicker integration of new content. It will not suddenly upgrade models and textures. APB has (i think) 3 LOD (levels of detail) for every model apart from the characters which I think has 1 which is what we see then invisible at distance and only transforms (position|rotation) is tracked. If you walk around you see then fading in and out the closer you get to buildings etc.

I remember the lead artist from RTW told me that every building in APB is unique (he told me this face to face at his wedding - I was the wedding photographer for Tahir Rashid 🙂 ) so if they are to upgrade the maps etc they have to adjust every single building and every texture maybe with 3 levels of detail. I really cant see that happening. I have been working on a game in Unity for around 4 years and in between times would go in to APB to look closely at walls and textures etc.. Its very very big. My main openworld game map is around 50% the size of Waterfront and took almost 2 years to build and it was continually tweaked right up till I stopped working on the game about 3 months ago! (i built all the models from scratch also and coded it in C# - UE is c++ for anyone who didnt already know that).

From what I can gather, LO are upgrading to UE4 so that they can implement new toys for us to play with and repair buggy code. New game modes will be quicker to implement with UE4. Also from what I can gather from Matts posts and Q & A, it will not be even nearly feasible with the current engine and will still be very much more time consuming with 3.5 but I could be wrong. I have the same amount of info as everyone else here 🙂

I think I might make a video of the current state of my game just for curiosities sake and post it in the off topic section.