• This topic is locked This topic is locked
293 replies to this topic

TechMech

TechMech

The All Seeing Eye

• Reloaded Administrators
  • 290 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

(Note: I am grabbing questions from this thread and answering them by updating this first post throughout the day)

As many of you noticed, the publisher Deep Silver announced today their publishing deal for APB Reloaded on Xbox One and Playstation4. The announcements are here on the DS site: http://www.deepsilve...4-and-xbox-one/

and here for a copy of the press release, including information on The Workshop Entertainment: http://www.gamasutra...d_Xbox_One.php 

And of course some of the items alluded to in yesterday's blog post were referring to some of engine related items tied to the impending console release: http://apbreloaded.g...blog-posts.html

Because we are not the publisher on the platforms all formal announcements will happen through Deep Silver. Of course as the developer, IP owner and operator of the game we can still answer some basic questions about the work going on, especially as it relates to or impacts the PC version of the game (which we are still the publisher of). Some of the Console specific items are things we CANNOT comment on. Sorry. Wish we could. Some we can. So fire away and we will do our best to answer it.

So - we figured the most effective way to handle it would be to have an informal Q & A on the forums, given that we are also keenly aware

(1) Why didn't you tell us first? Why did we have to read it on Deep Silver (or other) outlets, before we were told on the forums?

Because we are not the publisher on these platforms. That's both good (Deep Silver has far more resources than we could ever dream of having), though it carries a few inconveniences (we are restricted from sharing certain things until they are formalized and shared through the proper channels). On balance we are thrilled to be doing this project with Deep Silver. 

(2) How long have you been working on the Console versions?

We have been working on this since early 2014.

(3) Who is The Workshop Entertainment?

They are a great team here is Southern California, consisting of an original core team from Treyarch, that left many years ago and created their own studio. Most recently they developed the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the Bethesda title "The Evil Within," and they have a great long-standing working relationship with Sony, and incredible experience in developing for Unreal.

(4) What, if anything, does the Console version have to do with the PC Engine Upgrade?

A lot actually. Going forward the PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions will be using the same upgraded engine. Of course there will be differences; UI and several other systems will be radically different on console, but in essence the PC and the console versions will be running the same unified engine. This finally completes the process of stripping out a lot of the pre-2008 code, which has been a monumental task for the last 18+ months.

(5) Are there PC engineers who are working on the Console game too?

There are a few. In order to make the game work on console, the PC team in essence had to continue working on the improved and re-written engine, and as an extension of that, the PC team also ended up spending time with the Console teams. The good news is that both teams are able to work on new items and ideas together that will make both platforms that much better in the long term. In essence APB now has TWO development teams working on it simultaneously.

(6) Can PC and Console gamers play against each other in the same district?

In a word: "no." PC gamers would crush the console gamers, based on the difference in input method (PC master race can let us know if it's simply due to PC gamers' inherent superiority, and has nothing to do with mice and keyboards... of course..)

(7) Can I access my PC account and character from the console?

In a word: "maybe." As a longer answer, technically it might be possible to call up a PC character in the console account (partly depending on the final technical differences between the platforms), however, it's not clear yet it can be done for various other reasons. This is something we expect ourselves, Deep Silver and the 1st parties to address announce later in the process.

(8) Will the console versions have all the customization functions of the PC version?

Mostly. There is a question if Music Studio will exist in it the initial release, and the console version may not come out with the ability to compose your own tune. There are various input control limitations that make that particular customization system much harder to pull off on console. However, Character, Symbol and Vehicle editors will all be in the console versions.

(9) How do you see this on the long run? in terms of player base (especially the PC player base) and in terms of funding/staff and finally contents/bug fixes?

In short - we expect that PC and console gamers are actually quite different. We have an anecdotal example of this from back when we first launched the game. We had bought ads on some "YouTubers" channels, and realized quickly that over 70% of the audience that came across did not have powerful enough PCs to play the game. They all had consoles(!).  

So we actually expect the experiences to be very different. PC will still be the hard-core skill focused version. Console will be more "easy" to get in to, and may potentially offer some "assist" functions. There is a good chance people may want to play both, given our expectation that they will be radically different experiences, which means we expect some player migration in both directions (some may discover the game on consoles and move to PC, some PC players may want a more console-like experience and move over to console).

The good news is that all the content and future improvements is planned to be compatible with both in all cases.

/TechMech
LoginLevel_CrimeScene_small_cropped_v3.j

Iucy

Iucy

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Joined 22-May 11

cool

(2) How long have you been working on the Console versions?

We have been working on this since early 2014.

Is this why the engine update which was slated for last year was pushed to Q2 2015?

Edited by Iucy, 22 January 2015 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image

MrChan

MrChan

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts
  • Joined 24-April 11

Can we assume that late Q2 2015 or thereabouts is the hoped for release time for the Engine Upgrade if this is the target release for the console version?

Citadel - MrChan - Criminal - Clanless

Citadel - Skrallis  - Enforcer - Clanless

Chapple

Chapple

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined 26-August 11

How aligned will the PC and console development of the game be? Will the content drops or balance changes from one make it to the other? If yes, does that mean that we will see a lot more frequent updates to the PC version, assuming there is a bigger team surrounding the console versions?

PGAW67

PGAW67

Time Traveller ✔️️

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1602 posts
  • Joined 08-August 13

Wonderful news, I am very happy to seeing this as this might increase the number of players in the PC version as the game is going to be well known for the XBOX and PS4 console gamers and they might be also trying the PC version.

My worries are:

1. will be the Pc version updated regularly so it can compete with the consoles.
  2. Is this a new era for the APB game.
  3. Is this going to increase or decrease the number of players using the PC VERSION as we all know Aimbotters and third party tools users or cheaters will not be able to use hacks on the console version thinking about this console has a big plus over the PC and it might end up killing the PC version.

XBOX and PS4 platform is very secure against hacks, so I hope you guys are working in something to improve the anti cheat system we got.

Fairfight ban and it is very effective but nothing stops banned players to create a new account and carry on cheating.

Edited by PGAW67, 22 January 2015 - 03:32 PM.

PC Specification

Spoiler

SKay

SKay

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Joined 19-January 14

Will the consoles themselves be cross platform or will they be segregated?

Also PC isnt the master race. Quantum teleportation is the master race! :P

7nEgYyJ.jpg

Characters : Union - SKay (Crim) OfficerSK (Enforcer) Citadel - SKayCrim (Crim) SKayENF (Enforcer)

If you have a question about APB, it's weapons, cars, mods and LeBoyce, PM me! I am an SPCM!

u8YLaPP.png

noob 1v1 me pls ;D

jonilgz

jonilgz

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 01-August 13

Ok... and the engine upgrade? Dont forget us pls.

76561198035996262.png

RUN1

RUN1

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

will the console version be the same size as pc version?

PGAW67

PGAW67

Time Traveller ✔️️

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1602 posts
  • Joined 08-August 13

Ok... and the engine upgrade? Dont forget us pls.

He said that the engine upgrade is something that they have been working on since the beginning of the 2014 as XBOX, PS4 and PC will be sharing the same Engine.

Edited by PGAW67, 22 January 2015 - 03:34 PM.

PC Specification

Spoiler

PvtSnowball

PvtSnowball

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined 17-April 13

Since APB effectively now has two developers working on the game, where does this leave us regarding substantial content (new districts, game modes, motorbikes)? Does the combined pooling from Deep Silver and Workshop mean brand new content of that level can be placed on the horizon, or do they remain as they are now?

A  L  W  A  Y  S     Z  E  N
i just come here for the intro Kappa

RUN1

RUN1

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

will we see some of those lighting changes in the next week?

Siuya

Siuya

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Joined 06-June 13
As far as I've read, the engine upgrade for the PC is linked with finishing the game for the Xbox One and PS4.
My concern here, since it's being created for the newer generation of consoles, will this have heavy impact on the PC system requirements?
Some of us are already having trouble running the game as it is, but would we need to upgrade our gear?

SIUYA • GAMUZA • THE NETHERLANDS • STEAM PROFILE • WASP-INC

TechMech

TechMech

The All Seeing Eye

• 290 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

As far as I've read, the engine upgrade for the PC is linked with finishing the game for the Xbox One and PS4.
My concern here, since it's being created for the newer generation of consoles, will this have heavy impact on the PC system requirements?
Some of us are already having trouble running the game as it is, but would we need to upgrade our gear?

Actually the newer PC engine is better optimized. So with the features turned down it should perform better than the current PC engine. Of course it has more things if you have the processing power (better foliage, lights etc.)

Necromancer66

Necromancer66

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • Joined 14-April 12

(PC master race can let us know if it's simply due to PC gamers' inherent superiority, and has nothing to do with mice and keyboards... of course..)

This did made me laugh :D 

But my question is, how do you see this on the long run? in terms of player base (especially the PC player base) and in terms of funding/staff and finally contents/bug fixes?

Oh and side note on the engine overhaul, will it allow a larger number of car types? 

Siuya

Siuya

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Joined 06-June 13

Actually the newer PC engine is better optimized. So with the features turned down it should perform better than the current PC engine. Of course it has more things if you have the processing power (better foliage, lights etc.)

Copy that, guess it's also time to replace my Xbox 360, since I assume it will not be available for the older PS3 and Xbox 360?

TechMech

TechMech

The All Seeing Eye

• 290 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

But my question is, how do you see this on the long run? in terms of player base (especially the PC player base) and in terms of funding/staff and finally contents/bug fixes?

Oh and side note on the engine overhaul, will it allow a larger number of car types? 

Good questions. In short - we expect that PC and console gamers are actually quite different. We have an anecdotal example of this from back when we first launched the game. We had bought ads on some "YouTubers" channels, and realized quickly that over 70% of the audience that came across did not have powerful enough PCs to play the game. They all had consoles. 

So we actually expect the experiences to be very different. PC will still be the hard-core skill focused version. Console will be more "easy" to get in to. There is a good chance people may want to play both, given our expectation that they will be radically different experiences.

The good news is that all the content and future improvements should be compatible with both in all cases.

RUN1

RUN1

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

will we see different vehicles? different guns, graphics and sounds, maps, modes?

Necromancer66

Necromancer66

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • Joined 14-April 12

Good questions. In short - we expect that PC and console gamers are actually quite different. We have an anecdotal example of this from back when we first launched the game. We had bought ads on some "YouTubers" channels, and realized quickly that over 70% of the audience that came across did not have powerful enough PCs to play the game. They all had consoles. 

So we actually expect the experiences to be very different. PC will still be the hard-core skill focused version. Console will be more "easy" to get in to. There is a good chance people may want to play both, given our expectation that they will be radically different experiences.

The good news is that all the content and future improvements should be compatible with both in all cases.

Thanks for the fast response, vaguely covers it but still appreciated and informative, but could you go over the last point? 

Would the Engine update allow more vehicle types? if I remember correctly, it was an issue with it that prevented you (RP) from creating new vehicles.

Genobee

Genobee

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5309 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11

In a way this concerns me. From the sounds of it we may have had the engine upgrade delayed for the purposes of having a console version developed? With resources being siphoned off to ensure it is done?

If that is true then I find this to be a little worriesome. As a few titles I play are available on console. Thing is the client winds up being toned down for the sake of running on console. Leaving PC gamers with a game that cannot utilize the stronger hardware. Plus changes more often then not being tuned for both PC and console causing a disparity from how things once were.

Not to mention split resources in certain situations causing slower development of content updates dependant upon various factors. Then again all of this is depedant upon various factors.

This will not be the case for APB I hope?

Edited by Genobee, 22 January 2015 - 03:55 PM.

• Kaz likes this

New to APB:R? Take a look at this part of the forum || Find a bug? Report it here!

Looking for something to play until the EU get released?                                                                  フリルネックトカゲ

Mission Rewards Refinement - F2P Guns as Rewards | Improve Communication

LUST

LUST

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5928 posts
  • Joined 27-February 11

I briefly examined this in another thread that sort of agrees with this...

Spoiler

I think it was sort of obvious that the console version was being looked especially since you hinted at it when talking about the Unreal update.

...but I have some questions:

• Would it be better to have Consoles have their own Servers (one for NA, one for EU) using the Megaserver technology?
  • Server tech? Who's in charge?
  • Who will handle the community and support for Console versions?
  • Does this closely resemble RTW plans for console back in the day, aside from being F2P?
  • Could the Engine Upgrade and now partnered development bring better and unique content in-game rather than everything new being on ARMAs? Or will the current "ARMAs exclusives" be the same?
  • 64-bit support finally?
  • Retail Packs? Steam Packs? Amazon Packs? How will these be handled?
  • Will the ARMAs be on console? Who will handle the transactions?
  • Gamertags or sticking to creating Character Names?
  • Can we finally see exploitable weapon gameplay mechanics finally addressed? Or will these still be implemented on console?
  • Will Consoles have it's own dedicated team? Or will PC support and development be halted for them to catch-up?
  • In-game marketplace? Will it still exist?
  • In-game Mailbox?
  • Is console going to gravitate toward a factionless game to cater to the problems that might arise with character creation?

Edited by LUST, 22 January 2015 - 04:09 PM.

Pranking

Pranking

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3338 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

Would be sweet if consoles and pc could share the in game market.

Galleoth

Galleoth

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3624 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13

I'd ask how splitting developer resources will affect PC APB, but I guess '14 was the answer for it.

My only question is this tho: Will the PC verison's quality ever improve significantly (maybe after the console version is out?) or we are stuck with this, with the same gameplay issues for the next 3 years we had for the previous 3?

Edited by Galleoth, 22 January 2015 - 03:58 PM.

TechMech

TechMech

The All Seeing Eye

• 290 posts
  • Joined 29-May 09

If that is true then I find this to be a little worriesome. As a few titles I play are available on console. Thing is the client winds up being toned down for the sake of running on console. Leaving PC gamers with a game that cannot utilize the stronger hardware. Plus changes more often then not being tuned for both PC and console causing a disparity from how things once were.

Part of the reason the game will only be on PS4 and Xbox One is so that all three platforms can use the same engine. We had to forego the PS3 and Xbox360 for that reason. There will be significantly MORE resources working on content going forward as a result of the games sharing the same underpinning. And the PC version should look much better than the current engine version does.

Genobee

Genobee

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5309 posts
  • Joined 20-April 11

Part of the reason the game will only be on PS4 and Xbox One is so that all three platforms can use the same engine. We had to forego the PS3 and Xbox360 for that reason. There will be significantly MORE resources working on content going forward as a result of the games sharing the same underpinning. And the PC version should look much better than the current engine version does.

That's what I was hoping to hear!

Thank you for dispelling that worry so quickly.

Edited by Genobee, 22 January 2015 - 04:00 PM.

New to APB:R? Take a look at this part of the forum || Find a bug? Report it here!

Looking for something to play until the EU get released?                                                                  フリルネックトカゲ

Mission Rewards Refinement - F2P Guns as Rewards | Improve Communication

Visionaireh

Visionaireh

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Joined 16-January 15

Just a side question about the Engine, will it significant change our FPS? I mean, let's say I usually get 60FPS on max, will I get consecutive 80-100FPS with the new Engine? and what about the FPS lock in the game (120FPS), will it be changed to a higher FPS lock?

Weajh // Enforcer // WASP // Citadel // R255

Nouveh // Criminal // Citadel // R255

Naugladur // Criminal // Citadel // R110

<Flavor>Jenni

<Flavor>Jenni

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7214 posts
  • Joined 04-August 12
Thanks for the edit.

Jericho (PC NA) (rest in sauteed goodness, Le' Onion):
CaramelJenni, ChocolateJenni, CinnamonJenni, MochaJenni, LatteJenni, AmarettoJenni

VanillaJenni, LemonJenni, CherryJenni, OreoJenni, StrawberryJenni, BananaJenni, HeathJenni

Siuya

Siuya

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Joined 06-June 13

That also answers my second question, looking forward to Q2 2015 with APB. Does not make me regret sending in the volunteer application earlier today.

-Killerskull-

-Killerskull-

Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5548 posts
  • Joined 10-January 11

So Im assuming this was the reason 2014 was such a lack luster year for apb. Hardly any blog posts, no new content or anything. All I can remember from 2014 is FairFight. I really really hope that the delays consoles have caused to us, will make up for with the 2 teams you mentioned.

Also, please balance the C2, its the most OP weapon in the game yet no one from G1 acknowledged it.

"Careful not to cut yourself on those edgy words"

vv Clicky licky to watch vids of my city vv
5xmxx.jpg

Norii

Norii

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12

Will the new engine have useable controller support for the PC version?

I kinda like playing third-person shooters with a controller when possible.

EEzMEaN.png

Spearmint5150

Spearmint5150

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

What degree of synergy will exist between GamersFirst and the combined team of Deep Silver/The Workshop? Will assets such as maps, clothing, contacts, new play styles, etc... that were possibly designed by/for the console versions find their way back into the PC product?

A cheater has to kill you 1000 times to make their point. You only have to kill them once.

The deck's stacked in your favor.

To Tiggs, TechMech, whoever: You keep banning, I keep buying...

iRawwwN

iRawwwN

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2278 posts
  • Joined 06-August 10
How will the updating of the PC version of APB: Reloaded be handled, considering you can push out updates for us in a moments notice but with Xbox Live (if I recall correctly) you have to have it verified first before patching which means it will have a longer process.

Jericho: TNGHT / RAWisdead

Citadel: iRawwwN / Acrylics

PGAW67

PGAW67

Time Traveller ✔️️

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1602 posts
  • Joined 08-August 13

XBOX and PS4 platform is very secure against hacks, so I hope you guys are working in something to improve the anti cheat system we got.

Fairfight ban and it is very effective but nothing stops banned players to create a new account and carry on cheating.

What could you tell us about the players that will continue hacking and cheating in the PC version, we all know they will not be able to cheat or hack on the console version.

PC Specification

Spoiler

acaciadragoons

acaciadragoons

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined 06-December 11

Great another bunch of empty promises just what we needed...

My current Signature

Shozonu

Shozonu

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Joined 16-July 11

Will San Paro's legislative body revise the current vehicle laws and increase the speed limit?

Colby: Shozonu |<->| Lunartic
I'm...banned?

RUN1

RUN1

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

TechMech will we see any changes in graphics for end of this month? or atleast some more screenshots or teasers like vehicle headlights siren lights, street lights etc?

Edited by RUN1, 22 January 2015 - 04:50 PM.

PrincessTwilight

PrincessTwilight

Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Joined 02-April 11

Will the guns work differently on the colsole versions to cater to the control Style?

Guns such as the Tommy, Shaw, and even HVR have rather high ammounts of recoil. Even with colsole "Aim Assit" I would think these guns, And maybe a few more (N-FA comes to mind), would be rather difficult to use on a controller in their current states.

San Paro City Mentor (SPCM)

PrincessTwilight - Jericho, Han

PrincessTwi - Citadel

TizzieB

TizzieB

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

Ehhh I'm actually considering buying one of those next-gen consoles if this game does well, and if #7 is doable. I really don't want to have to start over and lose all of my customizations or rebuy all my Armas gear, etc. I understand technical limitations (on top of any limitations Sony/Microsoft might impose on shared character data) but in my opinion, #7 is one of the most important.

This makes the wait for the engine update worth it though. More development staff, more income, etc. Good luck, y0

Will the guns work differently on the colsole versions to cater to the control Style?

Guns such as the Tommy, Shaw, and even HVR have rather high ammounts of recoil. Even with colsole "Aim Assit" I would think these guns, And maybe a few more (N-FA comes to mind), would be rather difficult to use on a controller in their current states.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the console version will come with a minor amount of built in auto-aim like a lot of console shooters have. They'll make it work, somehow

Edited by TizzieB, 22 January 2015 - 04:48 PM.

HawtGirl

HawtGirl

Ascended

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3276 posts
  • Joined 11-March 14

Well, this is very nice... but why you completely denied the existence of the console version when some rumors started to pop up?

It was straight forward lying. 

Obeya (EU1)Posted ImageHawtGirlPosted ImageSmexyGirl Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

and yes, I am female ffs :V

RUN1

RUN1

Conscript

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

Well, this is very nice... but why you completely denied the existence of the console version when some rumors started to pop up?

It was straight forward lying. 

i believe he stated the reason above.

Forum User #863

Forum User #863

Respected

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 28-October 11
This sounds too good to be true, but something tells me to trust you, so I will.

But i have one big concern. In these days of multiplatform games, there are lots of cases where PC community is discriminated in terms of content and quality over console version of game and same goes other way too.
So my question is, how do you plan to balance quality, content, updates etc. so none of those players (Pc, consoles) will feel discriminated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users