uraputz

US judge blocks tools that help GTA Online players cheat

https://www.pcgamer.com/us-judge-blocks-tools-that-help-gta-online-players-cheat

"On Thursday, U.S District Judge Luis Stratton awarded the injunction against Georgia resident David Zipperer, who Take-Two had accused of selling two programs without the company’s permission, which provided players who used them an unfair advantage in GTA Online."

this could/should open the doors for software/game makers to actually have a path of legal action against these companies.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that's not gonna stop us from getting ddos'd tho

6 hours ago, Sharakon said:

Dont join parties if you dont want to be DDoS'd 

This is xbox and ps4 social drama in a nutshell. I saw someone /yell someone ip in chat 

21 hours ago, (Xbox)MortisedGuide said:
On 8/22/2018 at 12:08 PM, Sharakon said:

Dont join parties if you dont want to be DDoS'd 

This is xbox and ps4 social drama in a nutshell. I saw someone /yell someone ip in chat 
lol, I've been seeing videos of the shit that goes on on consoles and it's pretty hilarious.  It's like children at a playground bragging about their edgy outfits that PC players seem to have grown out of 4 years ago and their K/D ratios.  It's like the PC community and the console community are two different species almost.  We've had our fair share of stupid drama too, but on consoles it seems more... primal?  Petty?  Just insults thrown back and forth between a child and a grown man, the man accuses the child of being P2W trash for using a gun that is actually free, then insults the kid's outfit while the man's outfit is just black tactical gear with a lime green trim that looks like it was just slapped on.  Then the man makes a video of it with an all caps title calling out the kid, trying to make himself seem cool.

This is the video but I think mainly since consoles players don't buy Computers since how much they cost and how advanced they are and that they don't pay that much just to run a 60 dollar or a free game on an expensive big rig on a pc. But console players buy consoles to play a game since a console game is a guarantee to run and a pc game depends on the specs of your hardware. 

I have seen many cases of the user posting their victims IP in the chat thats so stupid and childish for 1. Insta-Ban for 2. 
But this XXXMarcus I talk to him sometimes on PS4 and he just chasing clout on the game. All these people do is argue and try to "roast" by yelling louder than the other its pretty pathetic.

12 hours ago, Sharakon said:

I have seen many cases of the user posting their victims IP in the chat thats so stupid and childish for 1. Insta-Ban for 2. 
But this XXXMarcus I talk to him sometimes on PS4 and he just chasing clout on the game. All these people do is argue and try to "roast" by yelling louder than the other its pretty pathetic.

Console social in nutshell. The yelling part is a bit true.

Not sure i appreciate the law meddling in gaming and cheats. Ddos, alrite - but cheats? Unless there is financial damage this shouldn't be handled by government law.

Important context:

1. An Injunction just means that they're not allowed to sell their stuff while the lawsuit is on-going. This doesn't mean that Take-Two has won, it just means that they're not allowed to sell their cheats.

2. Take-Two's main argument is that the program is altering the game's code on the server-side, and using its copyrighted work. (Which would be a violation of the CFAA, although both points have yet to be proven)

3. The judge in the case, is 90 years old, he has no experience with video games and the likes, and in an earlier lawsuit (Google's Youtube v Viacom) literally told YouTube to hand Viacom personal user information, which A) Is a breach of almost every privacy law imaginable and B) is really f---- stupid.

4. Nothing what the plaintiff is doing is actually illegal, but I'm pretty sure take-two will spin the story in such a way it'll seem to people with 0 knowledge about computers that it is illegal to set a president against making cheats/mods.

5. If take two actually wins this case, it won't hurt cheaters, they'll continue to make cheats on the basis of not really caring, at all. However, this WILL hurt the modding scene and the repair scene.

6. Take-Two's claiming his "cheats" costed the company "at least $500,000" (yes that's half a million) to which my question would be, "how exactly?"

Why? Because modders need to alter the code of a game to make their mods work, and people who want to repair their digital stuff, also need to be able to alter the code of their devices to reach certain maintenance features, think jail breaking an iPhone, or rooting an android phone to pull data off it
Tl.Dr This lawsuit might actually be a bad thing for the gaming community, also, people ddosing the game already are abusing the CFAA, and can be held liable for that.
(also https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Preliminary+Injunction ) Edited by NekuKiriyu

There is some truth to this... The majority of PC gamers that I know tend to be more mature/intelligent people. While the guys that play consoles typically are pretty basic, and couldn't give a shit less about having quality storyline, character development, and in-depth game mechanics.   
It's like the people who try and fucking tell me that Bladerunner and Bladerunner 2049 were "bad" movies....  Fucking idiots....  Go back to your Disney and Avengers. 

Edited by TrinityFSB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TrinityFSB said:

There is some truth to this... The majority of PC gamers that I know tend to be more mature/intelligent people. While the guys that play consoles typically are pretty basic, and couldn't give a shit less about having quality storyline, character development, and in-depth game mechanics.   
It's like the people who try and fucking tell me that Bladerunner and Bladerunner 2049 were "bad" movies....  Fucking idiots....  Go back to your Disney and Avengers. 

what does this have to do with the topic at hand?....

7 hours ago, NekuKiriyu said:

what does this have to do with the topic at hand?....
Tried to quote BrandonBranderson but it wouldn't let me. 😕

6 hours ago, TrinityFSB said:
Tried to quote BrandonBranderson but it wouldn't let me. 😕
Pc players are more mature than console players. Sometimes people let loose in social but on console, It's chaos 24/7