MattScott

We are not making changes to Joker Boxes

Thanks for the clarification, you are doing great scott thanks so much for helping the game.

Edit: That isn't sarcasm, it was horrible watching one of my fav games die.

Edited by Puffdragon
  • Like 1

This week is a „good news“ train huh 😄

Can I ask a quick question Matt, If you are still reading; While on the subject, what is your stance on loot boxes?

Thank you Matt, keep up with the communication! You guys are doing a fantastic job so far! 

1 hour ago, Meta said:

You should though.

There are over 20 weapons only obtainable through gambling mechanics? This doesn't look good at all.

In hindsight you should change the model and take notes from the game Path of Exile.

The developer releases gambling boxes as well, the content is purely cosmetic, but that aside.

They display the odds of each item and release it's content after approximately three months to be normally purchasable through a set price in their cash shop.

Therefore those boxes work as a kind of early access. Which would be better if you don't want to entirely remove them.

€: Also take care of these specifically named Joker Boxes. I mean do you want to associate your employees with gambling, i.e. GM's Power Joker Mystery Box? Not to mention that their description says limited release only, so removing them should be no problem at all.

Take your time, but keep that in mind.

This.

• And that aside, there are also so many useless drops for people who actually spent lots of money on armas already - should they be "punished" for that? I'm not talking about not giving any duplicates, then you could just drop Legendaries from every box - but maybe reducing the odds of them.
  • or add increasing odds like Dota 2? (if that's not a thing yet)
  • Revealing the odds would be a good move - people will still gamble (-> CS:GO gambling sites)
  • Adding trials via JT would be a good move
  • Or giving people a choice of one untradeable one once they reach 255, idk
  • Add more cosmetic (exclusive?) stuff (the ideas from quote sound good)
  • Add free ingame lootboxes with way worse chances as random rewards (mb with stuff like few jt/apb$ etc)

I'm glad you don't make legendaries generally untradeable.

However... taking EA as an example doesn't seem too good 😄

I guess you do you. Just listing some ideas from other games (that you may be aware of though)

Edited by ❤BR)))❤
  • Like 1

Still, it is something that should be up to reviewing, despite the laws or whatnot.
They kind of open doors to pretty obscene and unhealthy practices.

It doesn't also help at all, with the whole "new players thinking this game is P2W" thing. 

Good news, but please remove the trial weapons and replace them with something useful.

Thx Scott, but honestly when the player is required to use real money to gamble an item, it should be removed completely. It's bad for people who have the nasty habit and it's not good for the image anyways. If you see a player or players who spends hundreds of dollars on joker boxes then do what Warframe developers did. They removed it when they discovered someone was spending hundreds of dollars for something the player wanted on a gambling mechanic.

Edited by Jenz/Amaka
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

This is another topic that I think has been speculated on too much.

We are not changing Joker Boxes or account locking legendary rewards for the vast majority of players.

For context, during the Q&A I mentioned the Netherlands and Belgium laws that have declared loot boxes as gambling. I think some of my response was taken a bit further than I intended.

Currently only Netherlands residents are limited from trading rewards, per their government's laws which are very explicit in requirements and the June 20th deadline. In my opinion the Belgium legislation is both vague and unenforceable.

Additionally, EA has also declared they will continue with Loot Boxes:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/09/ea-loot-boxes-are-gambling-heres-more-loot-boxes/

So we're just going to sit tight and wait.

If there is a required change, rest assured that we will design an economic replacement for this mechanic.

Thanks,
Matt

the communication is on point +1

was nice that you decided to clear up some confusion that i was unaware of. but none the less as tesco's says perfectly

"Every little helps"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Meta said:

*Snip*

I don’t mind these loot boxes since it isn’t for just skins. These are niche weapons thay don’t really offer much of an unfair balance to the field. Except for in my opinion the volcano, other than that most of these 20 weapons are just reskins or a niche version of the weapons that exist in the game.

I think displaying the chance of getting the desired legendary and removing some of the useless weapon leases would make it less gambly but also maybe adding some in return to the player may use. Lets say for example some form of premium jt that you can use to buy a special player designed vehicle, will allow for them to mot only keep joker boxes but make them not considered gambling because you are given something definite back with each purchase that cannot be sold on the marketplace.

Also cosmetics only joker boxes would be cool still , I’d like glowing wings please 😄

Edited by Koriyasa

Thanks for the clarification, it's a welcomed change in the management of this game.

as nice as this news is i’d like to see some sort of rework on the actual joker box mechanics themselves

Ayy one less thing for you guys to have to worry about. Ty for the quick reply!

Danke Scott!

4 hours ago, Jenz/Amaka said:

Thx Scott, but honestly when the player is required to use real money to gamble an item, it should be removed completely. It's bad for people who have the nasty habit and it's not good for the image anyways. If you see a player or players who spends hundreds of dollars on joker boxes then do what Warframe developers did. They removed it when they discovered someone was spending hundreds of dollars for something the player wanted on a gambling mechanic.

I really don't want to see JMBs removed, but I guess I see what you're saying.

Maybe put a limit on JMB purchases? IDK.

• Like 1

The JMB is a simple fix really. There should be an auto win after x amount spent. Like lets say you spend $25 on one type of JMB, one box will be a guaranteed win of a legendary item regardless of what the other boxes yield so if the other boxes dont give anything good you will get what u came for in the end. Ive spent $150 in one type of JMB before to not win the legendary and to be blunt thats utter bs and a rip off not to mention thats gambling. A system like I described would remove any gambling aspect to it and make ppls money worth spending in APB on these boxes.

Hi everyone,

A lot of good points here. This is a complex, and I need to do more research on possible changes - if any. But I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Mart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For anyone who might know about Battlefield Heroes and the Treasure Chest system, I think it would fit perfectly here

Instead of all items being time limited except for one, give them all a 70%chance for a 3-15 day trial and a 30% chance for a permanent (with no changes to premium)

As for vehicles, tbh, scrap the whole trial options and have them permanent 

18 minutes ago, DanRO13 said:

For anyone who might know about Battlefield Heroes and the Treasure Chest system, I think it would fit perfectly here

Instead of all items being time limited except for one, give them all a 70%chance for a 3-15 day trial and a 30% chance for a permanent (with no changes to premium)

As for vehicles, tbh, scrap the whole trial options and have them permanent 

With the system that APB has that wouldnt work

3 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

With the system that APB has that wouldnt work

Why tho?

Just now, DanRO13 said:

Why tho?

The timed system in place is for ppl buying the items from contacts and the timed vers in armas is for ppl who arent sure if they actually want the weapon or not or cant afford the perm vers. JMB also gives timed items of said stuff . Adding in timed vers of the legendary weapons would only water down the chance of getting it perm even more then it already is. My idea stated above would work alot better with APBs system.