Lokislav

What else will the Engine update bring?

This is more of a question directly posed to the devs, since I don't think any of us from the community has seen the code changes.

Q1: Apart from the shown shadows/shaders facelift, will the game bring improved physics and other things, such as an increased spawn distance + more pedestrians to give the city some more life? (since optimized code should strain the servers less)
Q2: Are there going to be any additions that G1 had done but didn't/couldn't finish?

EDIT:
I understand that it's about upgrading the code into the new engine version to make it more workable with, however my question is that whether along those lines, if during those long years of development hell there were some projects/improvements that were meant to be released with the update/upgrade.

Edited by Lokislav
  • Like 1

A change in aesthetics for the worse.
Worse shaders/materials.
A bunch of poles and other objects scattered around the place that makes it harder to drive.
More breaks in the game geometry and out of world allowances.
Etc.

16 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Worse shaders/materials.
A bunch of poles and other objects scattered around the place that makes it harder to drive.
Etc.

The magic pole in financial near the construction area that everyone thinks they can run down.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Worse shaders/materials.
Etc.

So a conservative gamer but socially liberal is a thing 🤣 kidding

Just now, Lokislav said:
What?

25 minutes ago, Lokislav said:
lol rekt

It will bring us tasty burger that we can actually go into (and a tasty burger bandit outfit - NPC talk)
it will bring racing maps
it will bring better clothes and cars to kill you with style

and motorcycles

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lokislav said:

+ more pedestrians to give the city some more life? (since optimized code should strain the servers less)

NOOOOOO DUDE F*CK PEDESTRIAN I ALREADY HIT THEM EVERYTIME INSTEAD OF THE ENEMIES DON'T PUT MORE OF THOSE IDIOTS AROUND PLS
  • Like 1

you want longer spawn distances? i dont think thats dependent on the engine upgrade

3 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:
17 hours ago, Lokislav said:

+ more pedestrians to give the city some more life? (since optimized code should strain the servers less)

NOOOOOO DUDE F*CK PEDESTRIAN I ALREADY HIT THEM EVERYTIME INSTEAD OF THE ENEMIES DON'T PUT MORE OF THOSE IDIOTS AROUND PLS
agreed however newly made and not the old pedestrians are a whole different matter. new AI new graphics maybe some new feminine features that don't make the girls look like they belong on minecraft

i just want a stable 144fps... which i'm prob not gonna get

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

you want longer spawn distances? i dont think thats dependent on the engine upgrade

How so? Given the fact it utilizes a very early UE3 (if not prerelease) version, it means the game had to be optimized in very non-standard ways, you can see it in LODding and render distances being too short

with the engine upgrade, server should be less stressed - giving way for further spawn distance; and so should be the client - making sure the increased spawn distance/LODding won't tank the FPS

15 minutes ago, Lokislav said:
How so? Given the fact it utilizes a very early UE3 (if not prerelease) version, it means the game had to be optimized in very non-standard ways, you can see it in LODding and render distances being too short

with the engine upgrade, server should be less stressed - giving way for further spawn distance; and so should be the client - making sure the increased spawn distance/LODding won't tank the FPS
oh, i figured you were talking about the actual respawn system

im not sure increased rendering distance is just a simple change with the engine upgrade, the balance is entirely based on 100m - everything from guns to mods to the maps 

Edited by BXNNXD
typo
  • Thanks 1

I just want pedestrians that turn into zombies during Halloween time, that would actually attack us during missions, and an old indian graveyard rising from the ground, in the middle of waterfront

Is it too much? 🤔

• Like 2

The engine update, if it follows the consoles, will bring us MORE indestructible poles to get in the way of our sweet sidewalk driving.

I'm totally fine with more obstacles around the map... the maps have very little detail and look plain... also, we need a lot more options for cover in certain areas (the whole park and "the mist" club island area in financial for example).

I'm just concerned about the vibrant shaders... APB seems even more colourful on the engineupgrade and shadows look even darker.. it's oversaturated AF. we need less colourful, and more grim / urban combat artstyle shaders, and less blooming colours.

I always liked the details (objects / props and textures, making the place feel like an urban warfare) and shaders in these CrimeCraft GangWars pictures.

also, weather effects. wouldn't it be nice if it would rain once in a while? maybe even make cars slide a little bit more (nothing too hardcore though)... wishful thinking...

2 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

wishful thinking...

Only wishful if they fail to revive this game to some sort of profit.  I've no doubt in my mind that LO would love to take this game places, realize more of it's potential beyond anything Reloaded was ever capable of.  If they don't give up, and they get balancing straight and the DDOSers would leave us alone, I expect a lot of polish could be added to the game, including weather.

I'm too lazy to look, nor do I care enough to check references, but I feel like it was mentioned a long time ago that updating the engine would allow them to play with weather more easily if they so desired.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mynd said:
Only wishful if they fail to revive this game to some sort of profit.  I've no doubt in my mind that LO would love to take this game places, realize more of it's potential beyond anything Reloaded was ever capable of.  If they don't give up, and they get balancing straight and the DDOSers would leave us alone, I expect a lot of polish could be added to the game, including weather.

I'm too lazy to look, nor do I care enough to check references, but I feel like it was mentioned a long time ago that updating the engine would allow them to play with weather more easily if they so desired.
I do not doubt that LO wants to bring APB up to a higher standard, but I think even if they manage to bring many good things to APB, it'll still struggle... APB has a damaged reputation, so many people already played it since it's free on steam and suffered from bad matchmaking and the overall noob-unfriendly mess this game is (like bad tutorials), so the majority won't be starting it up again (and won't even notice anything changed in APB, only if LO advertised it again). we'd probably need summit1g to stream APB (when it's in a good state) again and bring attention to it... if he enjoys it, his viewers are very likely to try it out (again). maybe he'd get some of his other streamer friends to play with him and create sort of a "chain reaction" like it happened to fortnite (just in a much smaller scale).