Sign in to follow this  
MattScott

Clarification on Nudity (updated policy)

Hi everyone,

The topic of nudity in-game seems to have gotten quite a bit of debate since the Q&A, so I'll elaborate my thought process.

My initial policy was not based on Little Orbit's history of kids games or some prudish attitude. Quite the opposite, I expressly said that on a personal level I feel nudity is great. My decision comes from the ESRB standards. Even M-rated games are not allowed to show nudity, and the game is available on XboxOne and PS4.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx#rating_categories

However after giving it some thought, these ratings are only for the XboxOne and PS4. Currently our PC population is separate, and I can't imagine them ever getting mixed due to the vast difference in controller vs. mouse/keyboard.

So moving forward, we will stick with the previous G1 policy stated here:
https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2012/04/genitalia-and-bigotry-drawing-line.html

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 39
  • Thanks 8

Good news. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

5 minutes ago, speee said:

Good news. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

I concur with this sentiment. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

I dont really care either way about the nudity, but it just feels good to know the community has been heard.

• Like 3

lemme see if i get it.. nipples are ok but weewee and veevee not?

that seems reasonable to me tbh  #freethenipple 

Looks like a reasonable policy to me

one question though, on the bigotry side of things - where is the line?

obviously armbands with swastikas are out of the question, but what about something like an SS uniform but without any of the actual symbols?

or would the uniform itself be considered an offensive symbol? (think most people who's ever seen any WWII related movie would be able to recognize one even if it's lacking all the bells and whistles)

I'm just curious since people can be frightfully creative when it comes to trying to circumventing rules and regulations

9 minutes ago, Uocjat said:

obviously armbands with swastikas are out of the question, but what about something like an SS uniform but without any of the actual symbols?

or would the uniform itself be considered an offensive symbol? (think most people who's ever seen any WWII related movie would be able to recognize one even if it's lacking all the bells and whistles)

I'm just curious since people can be frightfully creative when it comes to trying to circumventing rules and regulations

Is it even possible to make a good looking uniform? Are there proper looking hats, trouser and jacket ?

Just now, DanRO13 said:

Is it even possible to make a good looking uniform? Are there proper looking hats, trouser and jacket ?

haven't tried myself but I'd imagine you can get reasonably close (something like suit jacket, chinos, police hat and combat boots)

have seen a few people running around in that sort of get up where it was pretty obvious what they were going for

1 hour ago, Uocjat said:

On the pure legality end of things (Nazi iconography being illegal in Germany), they probably are allowed.

Personally, I'd ban Nazi-era German military uniforms too because it amounts to someone flaunting Nazi iconography but trying to be smart-arsed about it so they can bypass the swastika rule and not get caught, but it's not up to me.

Edited by MrChan

Everyone loves anime titties. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Uocjat said:

haven't tried myself but I'd imagine you can get reasonably close (something like suit jacket, chinos, police hat and combat boots)

have seen a few people running around in that sort of get up where it was pretty obvious what they were going for

I wonder if the same treatment happens to the communist flag

Either way, I'd rather have a WW2 themed lobby than the weaboo clusterf**k we have now

• Like 1

I'm generally neutral when it comes to sensitive topics like these but on personal level this doesn't affect me in the slightest, not even hate speech symbols. 

2 hours ago, Salvick said:

🤶 You pervs...

I remember someone posting a picture of one of the contacts (Violet Prentiss?) wearing a short skirt, who has 'pervert' written across her arse cheeks for anyone looking under the skirt to see.

• Thanks 1

tbh, leave the Swastikas and Nazi imagery in, if anything you will upset the 3-4 SJW Germans here. I am a German myself and I don't see a reason to forbid that. The Swastika is a Religious symbol, to begin with. 

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

The topic of nudity in-game seems to have gotten quite a bit of debate since the Q&A, so I'll elaborate my thought process.

There is nothing to debate ... APB was rated pegi 18 since game release. I know you mean no harm, but sometimes its annoying when pegi 18 games have debate about nudity just because of kids without parents control.

18_felett.jpg

11 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

tbh, leave the Swastikas and Nazi imagery in, if anything you will upset the 3-4 SJW Germans here. I am a German myself and I don't see a reason to forbid that. The Swastika is a Religious symbol, to begin with. 

Dude ... nazi imagery and swastikas upset Jews and other victims.... If you not on drugs or drunk when i dont even know how you made this comment.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Uocjat said:

It is fairly simple. Nazi symbols are banned in some countries where APB is accessible. Regardless of where the swastika's origins come from, the fact is that it is illegal to display it in some nations make it legally unacceptable. A wehrmacht uniform or even an SS uniform without swastikas should be perfectly fine (although it may be considered by many to be in bad taste).

Edited by Lixil
No reason for insults.

I am a firm believer in freedom of speech, and ofcourse art falls into the category of implied speech. I like tiddies, but I think genitals is too much. I don't think there is a 13 yr old in this universe that hasn't seen tiddies before. Are we serious here? But let's just be tasteful. As far as political imagery, I think it does not belong in a game ever. Aside from my clan name which is a direct reference to red alert 2 campaign.

Edited by Puffdragon
fixed typos, not my manners

34 minutes ago, MartisLTU said:

There is nothing to debate ... APB was rated pegi 18 since game release. I know you mean no harm, but sometimes its annoying when pegi 18 games have debate about nudity just because of kids without parents control.

18_felett.jpg

Dude ... nazi imagery and swastikas upset Jews and other victims.... If you not on drugs or drunk when i dont even know how you made this comment.

It's not the Pegi 18 rating, but the U.S.'s ESRB rating system. APB if it allowed nudity, would be sued and lose the M rating for an Adults Only rating (which would severely diminish the marketing of the game)

But, since I'm not on PS4 or Xbox One, I'm happy to see non-genitalia nudity return.

1 hour ago, ninetenduh said:

Except no one who ever made a Swastika in APB intended it as a religious symbol and we all should know that given the 'quality' of the community here. Not to mention that you can't really credibly claim it's just a religious symbol if it's presented in a white circle on a red armband, on an SS uniform.

Come on, use your brain, mate.

Edited by MrChan

31 minutes ago, MartisLTU said:

18_felett.jpg

Bunny Imagery upset me and bunnies tortured for the Beauty industries, so would you kindly Change it? no? Fine with me!

I do not care if anyone gets upset by a RELIGIOUS SYMBOL, go to India and tell them to remove the Swastika because it upsets the Jewish Survivor, go ahead, tell me how far you came with that afterwards, if you can that is. Japan has the Swastika deeply embedded into the Language as well, mind telling them to remove it as well? dude, I couldn't care less who it offends. IT's part of more History and religion than that, so why should anyone ban a Symbol and I am Speaking about the Symbol itself, not a full-on Nazi Germany Flag, just because it was used in a bad way? 

I don't see anyone ban white clothing because the KKK wears white, I don't see them ban Shotguns or AR-15s, I don't see them ban Cars either, those killed more than enough people. 

And "Dude", I have spoken to so many Holocaust Survivor, no, it does not upset them, every single Survivor I talked to said this "It does not Upset me but it reminds me that this was part of the world's History. A sad part but nothing we can change!" 

As a German I am made fucking responsible for it, excuse me while I do not give a flying fuck about what offends or upsets people I don't care about at all. 

So, either you are just plain Ignorant af or just dumb to make such a comment. Now excuse while i continue to not give a flying damn. 

1 hour ago, ninetenduh said:

no, it is most definitely not religious - the temple symbol is the other way around. (and putting a black swastika in a white circle with red stuff around it definitely is not related to any religion) (unless you want to argue nazis are kind of a cult)

i'm german too and to me swastikas are okay in videogames. and unless they are there just to offend others (unlike wolfenstein or some historical games) they should always be allowed.

which is obviously subjective - and i feel there has to be a line of good taste somewhere - would it be okay to allow people to shout "gas the jews" too? as i said, drawing a line somewhere, and i guess. it's not like they forbid "jedem das seine" which had a long history before it was instrumentalized by the nazis.

maybe noone ingame would care about nazi symbols either - but it would definitely create a bad image for apb/LO - buzzfeed headlines such as "family friendly game dev endorses nazi propaganda" xd

47 minutes ago, Sergsininia said:

It's not the Pegi 18 rating, but the U.S.'s ESRB rating system. APB if it allowed nudity, would be sued and lose the M rating for an Adults Only rating (which would severely diminish the marketing of the game)

But, since I'm not on PS4 or Xbox One, I'm happy to see non-genitalia nudity return.

ohh :C .... im sorry ,dunno why but Steam store still have this pegi 18 symbol under APB. 

44 minutes ago, ninetenduh said:

Bunny Imagery upset me and bunnies tortured for the Beauty industries, so would you kindly Change it? no? Fine with me!

I do not care if anyone gets upset by a RELIGIOUS SYMBOL, go to India and tell them to remove the Swastika because it upsets the Jewish Survivor, go ahead, tell me how far you came with that afterwards, if you can that is. Japan has the Swastika deeply embedded into the Language as well, mind telling them to remove it as well? dude, I couldn't care less who it offends. IT's part of more History and religion than that, so why should anyone ban a Symbol and I am Speaking about the Symbol itself, not a full-on Nazi Germany Flag, just because it was used in a bad way? 

I don't see anyone ban white clothing because the KKK wears white, I don't see them ban Shotguns or AR-15s, I don't see them ban Cars either, those killed more than enough people. 

And "Dude", I have spoken to so many Holocaust Survivor, no, it does not upset them, every single Survivor I talked to said this "It does not Upset me but it reminds me that this was part of the world's History. A sad part but nothing we can change!" 

As a German I am made fucking responsible for it, excuse me while I do not give a flying fuck about what offends or upsets people I don't care about at all. 

So, either you are just plain Ignorant af or just dumb to make such a comment. Now excuse while i continue to not give a flying damn. 

Its person with synthetic pyjamas and gass mask, and you just being reckless.

Btw ... i think India and nazi symbols are little bit different.

PP-swastika12.jpg

( posting this for training purposes )

Edited by MartisLTU
Fixing my English q.q
  • Like 1

Can we have nudity bug again? Was great for items like Blazer or Summer Dressf_top_vest_enforcement_shooting.pngf_top_longsleeved_functional_suitjacket.f_dress_mini_fashion_lowback.pngf_top_longsleeved_functional_jacketleath

We had +200 users that month. (just in Obeya, i guess Colby were more.)

Ok, we canT.