trashpanda

Platinum Threat Level

As it is right now, there is a huge skill range difference in gold, between the best and worst gold player. There are tons of players that deserve to be silver and just as many that'd potentially be platinum if such role did exist. I think redistributing gold threat players between silver and platinum threat levels would make the game a lot more enjoyable for players both gold and silver, since it would mean platinum threat would rarely be matched with silvers and only would consist of players that deserve it. Of course, this would all be possible with a total rework of the threat and matchmaking system, which are both in flames right now.

• Like 3

Matchmaking/Threat levels will get reworked eventually, probably going to be waiting a while though. I always thought having a platinum rank for the very top of the gold player base would be a decent idea though, for those getting like 20 kills a match, they should really be playing other players that are that good or at least multiple golds. There is a rather large skill gap between low golds and high golds. To be fair I think organizing the player base into only 3 skill categories is a bit flawed, most games have at least 5 skill colours/ranks. I think most of the problems this game has in some way or another lead back to the matchmaking and threat systems. It will be nice when the time comes where it is actually looked at and reworked.

Edited by CombatMedic02

With the current system, adding another threat will kill the game with this population.

adding threats is bad for low population, this threat system make new players quit the game. It’s a vicious cycle.

Edited by SML

One issue with the threat system is that it's easier to increase in threat than it is to go down. You'll still have borderline platinum players being placed against max threat players, and not properly losing threat. Then we would need 2 more server instances which will further segregate the players, making it near impossible for platinum players to get opposition. Best case, it will just shift everyone's threat up one color.

That is precisely why we need a completely re-done threat system. With the current mechanics of it, it will merely divide players among more districts and as Penguin said, most likely end up shifting everyone’s threat level up by one.

You all realise adding another colour to threat does not actually change the underlying hidden ELO/MMR rating right? It just shows another graphical bracket to display to the player.

5 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

You all realise adding another colour to threat does not actually change the underlying hidden ELO/MMR rating right? It just shows another graphical bracket to display to the player.

Well that doesn’t change the fact that I still get matched with golds that will tear me up even though I’m a gold myself. And no, that’s not because of the low player count, it has always been that way. So I don’t know what this magical ‘hidden’ ELO of yours is exactly, but it doesn’t work as intended even if it exists.

24 minutes ago, trashpanda said:
32 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Well that doesn’t change the fact that I still get matched with golds that will tear me up even though I’m a gold myself. And no, that’s not because of the low player count, it has always been that way. So I don’t know what this magical ‘hidden’ ELO of yours is exactly, but it doesn’t work as intended even if it exists.
APB uses the glicko rating system. That is your true threat rating. A number behind it all that the matchmaker uses. The colour that is displayed to you is just a general indicator of where you sit (Such as gold being 1000-1500. Made up example of course).

57 minutes ago, trashpanda said:
1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Look I've seen how anyone who said otherwise is down voted for not agreeing with you so I'll try to get through to you.

It is a flipping bad idea just like flipping burgers is a bad idea for a career choice.
The only thing that would do is nothing to fix the problem with matchmaking and only make you feel better about your self like visiting a doctor for a placebo pill that does absolutely nothing beneficial  for you.
Arguing with them over how "if it exists" only shows you have no clue whatsoever and need to back up and learn from others who do have knowledge to share.

Little Orbit is working on matchmaking which is the real problem , not your favorite colors which will not ever fix the matchmaking problem which is matchmaking itself.....
They'll be done when they are done computer programing and code error checking can not be done overnight so just be patient and ride it out like the rest of us are. 😁

9 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

Little Orbit is working on matchmaking which is the real problem , not your favorite colors which will not ever fix the matchmaking problem which is matchmaking itself.....

mattscott has also said he'd like to tweak threat itself, he feels its too easy/too quick to move up and down threat-wise

1 hour ago, Fortune Runner said:
Look I've seen how anyone who said otherwise is down voted for not agreeing with you so I'll try to get through to you.

It is a flipping bad idea just like flipping burgers is a bad idea for a career choice.
The only thing that would do is nothing to fix the problem with matchmaking and only make you feel better about your self like visiting a doctor for a placebo pill that does absolutely nothing beneficial  for you.
Arguing with them over how "if it exists" only shows you have no clue whatsoever and need to back up and learn from others who do have knowledge to share.

They'll be done when they are done computer programing and code error checking can not be done overnight so just be patient and ride it out like the rest of us are. 😁
I’m not arguing with anyone nor am I downvoting any posts 😅 Just wanted to state my opinion and I guess I was enlightened on that ‘hidden’ ELO thing. But yeah, my suggestion never was simply adding a platinum threat, I also (tried to) suggest a complete overhaul of the whole system. Anyway, thank you all for your replies

Just now, trashpanda said:
I’m not arguing with anyone nor am I downvoting any posts 😅 Just wanted to state my opinion and I guess I was enlightened on that ‘hidden’ ELO thing. But yeah, my suggestion never was simply adding a platinum threat, I also (tried to) suggest a complete overhaul of the whole system. Anyway, thank you all for your replies
I did not know for certain if you did or not and i should of worded that better. My apologies.
It was meant to clear up anything for anyone and not meant to be worded to point fingers harshly.

Can we please, please, PLEASE get a pinned post explaining how adding more threat levels will change absolutely nothing.