MattScott

State of the Game 08/12/2018

Nice update - the shots look really nice - and looking forward to where you guys are heading with the game !

Played the game when it released and when it switch to F2P. This is really commendable what you guys are doing to maintain and save the game. I'll be coming back because of this.

1 hour ago, Dekthro said:

Played the game when it released and when it switch to F2P. This is really commendable what you guys are doing to maintain and save the game. I'll be coming back because of this.

To be fair, the lag can still make the game unplayable, stack splitting is still disabled, tradable premiums were removed, subscribers rewards were removed, and they unbanned a large portion of the players that were abusers. The new screenshots look decent, but in all reality nothing has changed since LO took over.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:32 PM, Jdred said:

Cheaters as of current don't really seem to be much of an issue, you may have like 3-4 max, MAYBE. The abuse of lower resolutions that stretch characters and make for bigger crosshairs, lower resolutions do not scale properly when put into full screen. Making it easier to hit your opponents vs max resolution. Which honestly is probably what most of your reports for "cheaters" are, but I'm just guessing.

Good effort trying to reignite FE with some screenshots though after the "LO hype" has been dead for a few weeks now.

3-4 maybe? i would say 3-4  people 24 hours cheating and another 4 people more  " turn on/off" the evil thing.
I base all this by my " impresions" because some players have "no progresion in game" enought, but they make a relog .... and ..... magic yes? oh no " must be the lag because they failed shoots".... oh oh the lag the lag is guilty!
Dunno " when is new system" injected for prevent this, but as i said in posts in old times, people need to be safe with some anticheat "medium strong".... feel protected againts that people who are "ego stupid abnormal cheaters" who dont learn lesson  about " play fair  is more fun".
 i will not name and shame, but i know i am not the only person who think this, because i asked another veterans in game about some suspicius players and think same.

I told in past this would happen, after i last player october 2014, and numbers and time told i was on true.............. still i remember that picture noir used in forum and the " dat logic " writing...... right??

game need people, yes, but as i said, the only way is a " recoded game" with a nice anticheat, and obviusly with a reset, that would be the perfect. Thats my honest opinion.

@ mat,  we know something about when is coming that defense againts cheaters? we need it as fish need water, really all people left to play due this issue
btw that screenshoots are incredible, they soo nice so nice!! i love them so much! thanks for your hard work in repairing this big broken ship

Edited by Aroa Croft

Hello everyone,

I have removed several posts containing an inappropriate discussion. This is an informative thread and discussion is enabled, but please do not lead lengthy personal discussions that would beat this thread's purpose.

Regards.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ritual said:

Hello everyone,

I have removed several posts containing an inappropriate discussion. This is an informative thread and discussion is enabled, but please do not lead lengthy personal discussions that would beat this thread's purpose.

Regards.

Thank you I'm so glad we are getting closer to this reality.

On a serious note:
I'd place anti-cheat as a low priority personally. The people that tend to cry about them tend to do so incessantly about real and fictitious cheats. Anti-cheats aren't perfect either so even if you got the best of the best it wouldn't be long until they are crying cheating is occurring again. Exploits to make things easier is prob a bigger concern at the end of the day. And in pve unless it is speedhacks or they somehow can access gm tools you won't gain too much as it typically is only a minor benefit.

The images look good, but what would a comparative graphics setting be in the current game? I hope this goes well though. Edited by MICFILLER

On 8/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

I've started this update multiple times, and for various reasons I set it aside. But my communication with the FE community has honestly been piss poor. Sometimes managing GamersFirst is like drinking from a firehose.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm frustrated with the game right now. The code is an ancient mess that barely compiles under current development environments. We have nearly constant problems with server lag and stability. We're missing all the source art to the game.

And we have problems with cheaters. Above and beyond everything else, this last one is the most problematic.

I would prefer to spend our money on fixing the game - not on expensive anti-cheat. But at this point I can't ignore the issue any longer. Since my options are limited on the front end, we have begun working on a custom server-side cheat detection system. This wont be an overnight solution, but at least we can largely introduce it without disrupting the game - or even patching. I do want to thank several members of the community who stepped forward and helped provide copies of various cheats. Those are helping us tune things, so we can properly detect cheaters.

Aside from anti-cheat, we are making progress in a number of other areas.

The core server code is being completely written from the ground up. I would estimate we are about 10% complete so far. There's a lot to do, as Fallen Earth is a big game that supports a lot of features. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up. This is slow and tedious, but I'll keep updating the community.

Another area we have been working on is the lack of source art. I'm happy to say that we have been able to successful export a sizable amount of static game geometry, materials, and textures so we can recreate them in another engine. Our strategy is to first bring everything over so we can make sure the maps and areas still fit together properly based on the server-side data and placed instances. From there, we'll make a PBR pass on the materials. For those that don't know, PBR stands for Physics Based Rendering, and in a game like Fallen Earth, we can vastly improve the look of the game by simply adopting better rendering methods. After that we'll make a pass to tessellate and upgrade world terrain based on the original height map data. And then we'll look at specific upgrades to characters, monsters, etc.

The initial progress bringing over buildings is far enough along, that despite my better judgment, I'm going to provide screenshots of a small area we mocked up in-game. This is just work in progress. Still so much to do, but it's is a good start.

Screen_Shot_Screen_Shot3.png

Screen_Shot_Screen_Shot4.png

Screen_Shot_Screen_Shot5.png

Screen_Shot_Screen_Shot2.png

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe interested in coming back if the hackers are actually banned from the game I remember having hackers grief/troll non stop which is the reason I left the game.

Also on another note it would be more worth returning if users could "Freely Respec" for a flat Premium membership fee, rather than having to buy reset tokens all the time this would make the game more interesting and more fun.

Hello again,

Once more, I have removed a line of posts unrelated to the thread in question. Please stick to the topic. Future derails will lead to warnings and further content moderation.

Regards

• Thanks 3

Hi Matt! Kudos for taking on this quite massive job! I've been a part of FE since beta days and had great hopes for its success. I'm very glad to see it's still kicking even after all this time. 

And all is not yet lost. Games like Fallout come along, everyone jumps on the ride for awhile, then they get bored but still want to play. Where they gonna go in between Fallout releases?

Could be FE, know what I'm saying? Everyone goes out to party at fancy places on special occasions, but in between, they go out once or twice a week to regular places to hang out and have fun. Those places make the steady money and stay alive literally for generations, and I think that's a perfect role for FE in the post-apoc games niche.

FE's got a good, big world to have fun in and the original team made sure it had a lot of positives - atmosphere, story, deep crafting, vehicles, and a lot of solid mechanisms (tracking, choice of 1st or 3rd person combat, player-made buildings and more) to show what a game like this could have. There's a lot of issues and unfinished work, but your commitment means there's also a lot of hope for the future state of the game. I'll try to keep up with the news.

And yeah, I just downloaded it again :)

On 8/30/2018 at 5:06 AM, zootie said:

Hi Matt! Kudos for taking on this quite massive job! I've been a part of FE since beta days and had great hopes for its success. I'm very glad to see it's still kicking even after all this time. 

And all is not yet lost. Games like Fallout come along, everyone jumps on the ride for awhile, then they get bored but still want to play. Where they gonna go in between Fallout releases?

Could be FE, know what I'm saying? Everyone goes out to party at fancy places on special occasions, but in between, they go out once or twice a week to regular places to hang out and have fun. Those places make the steady money and stay alive literally for generations, and I think that's a perfect role for FE in the post-apoc games niche.

FE's got a good, big world to have fun in and the original team made sure it had a lot of positives - atmosphere, story, deep crafting, vehicles, and a lot of solid mechanisms (tracking, choice of 1st or 3rd person combat, player-made buildings and more) to show what a game like this could have. There's a lot of issues and unfinished work, but your commitment means there's also a lot of hope for the future state of the game. I'll try to keep up with the news.

And yeah, I just downloaded it again 🙂

I am agree with you. 

fallout 76 will be not totally a online game and not massive online game. This thing is saving fallen earth, due actually and in near future, fallen earth will be the only massive game with " fallout atmosphere".
I not saying i not playing fallout 76, wil be interesting to see where it goes, and in same way nobody can forget potential fallen earth always have.
Matt said is recoding game, if they finally get it they can easy work in game making interesting patch/better quality graphics and probably be a lot better than a fallout online is, due to advanced state/ finished game they can start.
All people is waiting  for Q&A next day 8 september, and see whats will be hapening

• Like 1

I am grateful that you are taking the time to keep this game. I've just recently returned and recovered my account and I am looking forward to being part of this change. Keep up the great work and thanks for the open communication. Often times it is like pulling teeth to even contact a developer for a game and near unthinkable to ever hear from its CEO on the forums. So I salute you sir. Please bring this game back from the threshold of death and into the light of a new future.

Thanks Matt for the update.

I have been playing this game since 2010, and i have always enjoyed it. It has been a rollercoaster ride, ups and downs, along the way, but i still love this game to this day. So when i see LO come in like this and keep trying to fix it, i am really glad. I realize that, considering the age of this game and therefore the age of the tools, assuming you got all the tools running, and the state of the server is not exactly helping either, that this will take a long time to fix, but i am really happy to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel, after a long time neglect sinde G1C got FE from Icarus.

There will always be cheaters around and there will always be those that want to cheat, anti-cheat or no, but i do appreciate that you are really looking into solutions to this. Honestly, when i go PvP, i do it because i need to DT, if i win or lose, it doesnt really matter, and intend to have fun doing it. I am probably the worst PvP'er in this game, so i can honestly say that whomever kills me, its because they are better at it than me 😜

I think the biggest issue i experience is the occational lag spike. Sometimes i encounter invisible walls while travelling and NPC's suddently warp to another location when i start shooting them, but thats not a big issue for me.

Take your time, do what you have to do. I can wait, as long as i know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will still play, craft and shoot stuff and have fun doing it. 🙂

Im just happy as long as i see the game getting some TLC from devs again 🙂

• Like 1

The problem that I see when redoing the game is the equipment / weapons at level 55 since it is not at the same level, since from the patch of the gores (which took out weapons / equipment) the attributes have increased, I think it is something that could be done nowadays, "equating all the equipment at level 55" with similar or equal attributes in some form or another.

The anticheat, has no discussion, the game is unpalatable with the excesses of this problem that there is and have been. The proposal of only two maps and give a new beginning was among other things because of the equipment level 55 totally uneven. While the duplicates and others like the lag is a major problem, that although only a total recoding would solve it, but even so if the two maps solve the problem, it would be wonderful.

edited: while putting all weapons / equipment level 55 in two lists. Weapons are only chosen between three and armor between three also, all this having a list of at least 50 in each list of weapons or armor (you can see it in the wiki fallen earth, which is very well done in its entirety of page and very worked))

Edited by Aroa Croft

It has been a long time since I popped in to check on FE.. Played in beta, and a bit until being taken over by GamersFirst. I was just not happy to see how they were handling FE. So, it is nice to see a company taking it over that seems to be at least trying to populate the game again. And those renders look fantastic!

Honestly, if you manage to really rejuvenate FE with a new engine and anti-cheat, I can really see FE becoming quite popular. This considering people are not very happy with Fallout 76 at the moment, when many Fallout fans were asking for something more similar to FE. I know I will certainly start playing again quite frequently if all this gets sorted. 🙂

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, Chauntelle said:

It has been a long time since I popped in to check on FE.. Played in beta, and a bit until being taken over by GamersFirst. I was just not happy to see how they were handling FE. So, it is nice to see a company taking it over that seems to be at least trying to populate the game again. And those renders look fantastic!

Honestly, if you manage to really rejuvenate FE with a new engine and anti-cheat, I can really see FE becoming quite popular. This considering people are not very happy with Fallout 76 at the moment, when many Fallout fans were asking for something more similar to FE. I know I will certainly start playing again quite frequently if all this gets sorted. 🙂

Good luck!

hello to all that you carry the apocalypse, well, I have to say that I played quite a fallout 76 and I have to say that it is much better than I expected, although the only thing I miss in comparison with fallen earth is that the population on the map is quite limited. The atmosphere of fallout 76 is very similar to fallen earth and immersive, you can play fallout 76 without doing pvp at all, there is no lag, and the possibilities it gives in reference to build your own house and take it anywhere (to same as in fallout 4 in the build mode) and most importantly, it seems that the population in the game has a lot of respect for the community, although a character is killed the game searches for the troll and makes a bonus reward (It is impossible to survive since I have tested it). What to say, I like the old fallen earth more than what there is currently with lag, cheaters and without encouragement to offend "more of the same", so well I hope the owners move tab and do something "already" about it, Events is not a solution and a long-term recode is not. so if only to say that the few who are in the game wish you have a nice time, a greeting!

@Aroa Croft They are updating the fe code atm and after that they'll most likely put the improved stuff on a new server. So, I doubt there will be any update untill then. Now we just wait till it's ready. 

• Like 1

It has been 4 years since I left, I heard about a new owner and came to see.

My last long term subscription dates from january 2013 "Commander 365 Day Recurring Subscription (Discounted) 164.99 UltimatePay 2013-01-24"

I'm hanging out in EVE Online at the moment, but FE needs lost of fixing before I can come back. Here are some of the main issues I encountered

PVE used to be fun until they introduced scaling where we became unable to assist clan members in lower sectors, destroying the way we operated.

PVE was made much harder at some point making it near impossible to retain newbies.

Hackers were a nuisance.

The game had serious balance issues where you had to be a little girl with melee to be "the best PVPer".

Also hi to all the old guys, I still remember some of the names!  I'm going to download and install to see how it is now. After the maintenance ;) lol.

1 hour ago, RowdyRonny said:

It has been 4 years since I left, I heard about a new owner and came to see.

My last long term subscription dates from january 2013 "Commander 365 Day Recurring Subscription (Discounted) 164.99 UltimatePay 2013-01-24"

I'm hanging out in EVE Online at the moment, but FE needs lost of fixing before I can come back. Here are some of the main issues I encountered

PVE used to be fun until they introduced scaling where we became unable to assist clan members in lower sectors, destroying the way we operated.

PVE was made much harder at some point making it near impossible to retain newbies.

Hackers were a nuisance.

The game had serious balance issues where you had to be a little girl with melee to be "the best PVPer".

Also hi to all the old guys, I still remember some of the names!  I'm going to download and install to see how it is now. After the maintenance 😉 lol.

It's all as you describe it and now I can say that the weeping trolls have won (those who wanted to destroy the game), you just have to see the steamcharts to realize what I'm saying.

There is a clear competitive game against fallen earth (fallout 76) that is won by a landslide since this game does not exploit its strengths and its experience in all these years. (and nothing to say about fallout 76 that is full of bugs but they are patching it every so often). I do not want to criticize but it is not worth having so much map in fallen earth when it is played by half of the people who are in a fallout 76 server (the top of people in each server of fallout 76 is 24, by the way). I already said what was my opinion and how the boat would change course in our favor, but no developer puts anything of interest for the game or if the ideas are good or bad, the only thing they give are promises and promises. words that do not go anywhere.

LO is a very good company but they are working very hard and very well in Apb, they answer the questions from the forums and put new patches, which I do not care since apb is a game that I do not like at all. He has said that he is going to recode the game and has shown images of the last patch buildings that have improved (this seems very good but what people are looking for are "now" and "quick" solutions that make you play the game.

I'm  not going to repeat more of the same (of the solutions I've provided), since there are people who can bother my opinion and start ranting with insults and bad expressions that I do not have to put up with. I'm free if you want to play the fallout 76 and explore that post-apocalyptic world and take a "nuka cola" with me, a greeting !!

This was posted over 3 months ago. Let's find something better to do with our time than post off topic remarks in a sticky thread.

I still check in occasionally... it must've been 4yrs+ since I left also. I've been waiting for that Miracle update to bring me back - that never seems to emerge.

The last good update that really impressed me was Citadel, everything since did nothing to convince me the game was ever going to go back in the right direction and I feel its been a slowly dying game since.

It's a shame... as there really is no other game out there like FE, will be sad to see it die off.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Sorry for not posting more. The team has been up to its eyeballs running events for APB and FE since October.

The work continues. Almost done reconstructing the art in a new engine. We have a set of new internal tools for Support and GMs that launched with the last patch. And fixing stack splitting is definitely on our radar.

9007DF75-3EF0-43D1-B435-D91785F85F6C.jpeg

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1