• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Cavadus

Cavadus

Grunt

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 30-May 12
I've been in The Repopulation's alpha for... wow, probably years at this point. I think I was the first person invited into testing outside of friends and family.

I check back in every few months to play around for a few days but, very disappointingly, the gameplay has always left A LOT to be desired.

I don't play tab-to-target games anymore as they put me into a coma but TRP has the "action mode" which is at this point an unplayable mess.

Combat ranges are cringe-worthy short. Don't expect rifles to go past 50m which is the extreme limit of combat at the moment. ANd action mode has this "cascading actions" mechanic where, say, you have an ability called Knee Shot. You aim at an avatar's knees and when you fire the game automatically executes Knee Shot. But say Knee Shot is on cooldown. Now the game decides for you the next ability to execute. So let's say that the next logical one is Suppressing Fire. Now it fires that off. And so on and so forth.

So in action mode you don't have the control you need to execute the abilities you want and it just frontloads everything so you burn all your resources in the first few attacks.

And then ofc there's the ability to actually miss your shots when manual aiming. Tab-to-target is 100% accuracy outside of dodge/miss/save rolls under the RNG hood.

In short, the gameplay is a mess and not fun if you're into shooters.

That aside, the rest of the game is gosh darning amazing and the clan bases are a mechanic to behold. The engagement system allows mobs to radically alter the gameworld unless players step in and stop them. Vehicles and power armor are going to be a lot of fun.

But gameplay... it just isn't there for shooter fans. I'm unsure if action mode is going to get any better but I have my fingers crossed.

Posted Image

Reaps989

Reaps989

Supreme

• Members
  • 7747 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

I've been in The Repopulation's alpha for... wow, probably years at this point. I think I was the first person invited into testing outside of friends and family.

I check back in every few months to play around for a few days but, very disappointingly, the gameplay has always left A LOT to be desired.

I don't play tab-to-target games anymore as they put me into a coma but TRP has the "action mode" which is at this point an unplayable mess.

Combat ranges are cringe-worthy short. Don't expect rifles to go past 50m which is the extreme limit of combat at the moment. ANd action mode has this "cascading actions" mechanic where, say, you have an ability called Knee Shot. You aim at an avatar's knees and when you fire the game automatically executes Knee Shot. But say Knee Shot is on cooldown. Now the game decides for you the next ability to execute. So let's say that the next logical one is Suppressing Fire. Now it fires that off. And so on and so forth.

So in action mode you don't have the control you need to execute the abilities you want and it just frontloads everything so you burn all your resources in the first few attacks.

And then ofc there's the ability to actually miss your shots when manual aiming. Tab-to-target is 100% accuracy outside of dodge/miss/save rolls under the RNG hood.

In short, the gameplay is a mess and not fun if you're into shooters.

That aside, the rest of the game is gosh darning amazing and the clan bases are a mechanic to behold. The engagement system allows mobs to radically alter the gameworld unless players step in and stop them. Vehicles and power armor are going to be a lot of fun.

But gameplay... it just isn't there for shooter fans. I'm unsure if action mode is going to get any better but I have my fingers crossed.

Ya, it's only smart to play in tab target on that sadly. Had a fun conversation about it... but honestly the good outweighs the bad in that situation.

I'll sacrifice the "shooter" element for contest territory that is "worth" something, constructable bases, free faction alliances, and of course open world PVP.
Nysek - Mednaught : The only character in FE made of Gammina™

Walls are for horses, I build gosh darning castles of logic to protect us from your constant rain of derp.

Posted Image

Special thanks to Thrillchase for ze banner.

Zerero

Zerero

Grunt

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 11-September 12
On top of that, they're still developing the game. Maybe if enough people complain they'll listen.
Butch Traveler (lvl 55 Tech) Boneever (lvl 55 Vista) Chief Cuckoo (lvl 55 Traveler)
Rowdy Ronny (lvl 55 Enforcer) Chrispy Cream (lvl 55 Chota) some red alert (lvl 55 Lightbearer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users