DV6G

Fixing APB graphics

One thing I haven't heard LO or many people on the forums talk about, is that the APB graphics quality has gone down exponentially since G1 acquired the game. I understand that back then, they compressed the games files to make for a much much smaller download but even since then. I feel as the model, decal and texture quality has gone down slowly over time. RTW APB was crisp and beta APB:R was decent. I feel at this point, the quality is so low that I barely even want to customize because of pixelated symbols, tattoos, etc. Anyone else share my thoughts? Hopefully we can get more clarification from LO and maybe an update in the roadmap (sometime Q4/Q1 2019) with this in mind.

And before anyone comments "Use Advanced APB launcher", I already do but you can't get the same quality from a 3rd party compared to native high quality textures straight from LO.

This comes up quite often actually, but really there's nothing we can do other than wait until the engine upgrade. It's a shame because the game did feel a lot more lively with the old RTW shaders, lighting, etc. And the decrease in texture quality is why I never bothered getting into heavy designing.

I do use the advanced launcher to set texture res to 4096 (lol) for the sake of high quality customising, not that it makes a difference in the end. Better than nothing.

43 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

>not playing on potato settings and 4:3 res

Max settings, 2560x1080 😉
41 minutes ago, Kiida said:

This comes up quite often actually, but really there's nothing we can do other than wait until the engine upgrade. It's a shame because the game did feel a lot more lively with the old RTW shaders, lighting, etc. And the decrease in texture quality is why I never bothered getting into heavy designing.

I do use the advanced launcher to set texture res to 4096 (lol) for the sake of high quality customising, not that it makes a difference in the end. Better than nothing.

Why is the engine upgrade so crucial to so many changes happening? It's been spoken of for years now but I never really understood how it prevents so much from happening at the developement level.

The current engine we are using can only handle the graphics we are using currently.

The new engine would open the way to truly fix up APB.

G1 promised it but then left us  hanging....
Little Orbit bought out APB three months ago and are working on  the new engine update already.

No game can function without a proper engine to run it.
A proper engine is the very life of any programming happening.

1 hour ago, DV6G said:
Why is the engine upgrade so crucial to so many changes happening? It's been spoken of for years now but I never really understood how it prevents so much from happening at the developement level.  
The engine we are currently on is outdated as hell so trying to add a lot of stuff would probably be a little bit awkward, the engine upgrade would open the game up to all sorts of new content as well as probably more optimization cause the more stuff in the game that the engine has to render in, the more strain is put on the engine and im pretty sure our current engine is quite incapable of having anymore things added, hell the game struggles with what we have atm >.>
But yeah the more updated the game is engine wise the better the performance and easier it will be to up the graphics or add content :3 (I ain't no expert on how game engines work tho ;-;)

Oh ok I think I understand now.. let's just hope the upgrade comes soon and allows them to really ramp up on making the changes this game needs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I switched from 4k max settings to 1024x768 4:3 potato settings.

5 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:
11 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I switched from 4k max settings to 1024x768 4:3 potato settings.
That explains that impressive Citadel weekly report you showed.