Cutey

3-Point Sling mod should have negative effects. like other mods.

1 minute ago, Similarities said:

Sure, just make sure the caliber is a 9mm and you shoot me in the softest part of my head. That's how I feel reading these forums at times.

Seems we aren't so different after all.

First of all this should be in suggestions thread. Second, why cant we have mods with no down sides? Have them be upgrades but with very little positive. For example, rather than being +10% damage and -20% accuracy, Id rather take only +3% damage increase.

12 hours ago, CookiePuss said:
13 hours ago, Zolerox said:

Seriously. Tagger/spotter is fine. 3point sling makes sense for cqc weapons But on the hvr it's downright exploitable (quick switching imagine doing that irl)

Imagine having to shoot someone more than once with any gun irl to maybe kill them, or at the very least make them unable to fight.
Shotguns. other games are 1 shot (imagine apb with 1 shotguns AH the butt hurt.)

Let them balance out all weapons first. The only reason improved rifling was touched in the first place was because of the changes to shotguns. It's also the reason why the yukon was finally fixed, despite not being part of this first batch of weapon buffs

I ain't saying it doesn't need a change, just saying get the weapons in a nice relatively balanced state first, before touching how mods affect the guns

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2

23 hours ago, Dopefish said:
I agree, but the weapon is likely to recover that accuracy faster than the amount of time gained from the new equip time?

It's a bit interesting to reduce the movement speed while aiming down the sight, but then that would only be a drawback for weapons that rely on that.

Many weapons strictly benefit from certain mods (e.g. most SMGs can ignore CJ3's downside). The stat-penalty should reduce abuse of a mod on weapons which are only supposed to utilise it for side-grading instead of strict up-grading.

Long-range weapons don't exactly need faster equip-times, but it's nice to have. Many do benefit from faster marksman-movement, however, because they're terrible at hip-firing. As such this proposed downside would hurt them where it counts in return for an improvement a player might value higher.

20 hours ago, BXNNXD said:
23 hours ago, Dopefish said:
Is there any general theme for purple mods, that would be applicable to all weapons, such as damage/TTK for red mods (not counting muzzle break), accuracy for orange mods, ammo for blue mods?
i guess you could argue they’re “utility” mods?
Orange - Sights
Red - Barrel
Blue - Munition
Purple - Handling (originally), Utility (now)

Arguably Tagger shouldn't be purple, but in its own category (e.g. yellow or green) which provides additional functions.
Then again, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day how true to their original purpose each category stays. Edited by Revoluzzer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fur said:

Purple mods in my eyes are usually supposed to just be straight 'upgrades' in a very small form.

Why nerf something that isn't broke. And yes adding a negative side effect is nerfing, so don't even bother arguing against that.

That's the thing, there shouldn't ever be any straight upgrades, but consider them more as side grades. You specialize further on something, at the sacrifice of something else.

RTW had no mod restriction, and no drawback on their mods. There were character mods that increased your max health (Monolith), made you regenerate faster (Fast Regen), decreased incoming damage (Survivor), and weapon mods that increased your fire rate (Spray and Pray), increased your damage output (Savage), and other mods to improve your accuracy, with no restriction whatsoever. You can imagine the outcome for matchmaking high ranked players against low ranked ones.

There were no conscious choice in which mods to pick either, since you simple picked the strongest ones and left it at that. No variation in character builds, so the only purpose mods served was to act as a money sink.

The first change (and one of the only few good ones) that G1 did when they took over the game, was to color code the mods, and add drawbacks to most of them, to make them act as trade-offs, instead of the straight upgrades mentioned above. But they never got many tweaks after that, and some of the mods don't have any drawbacks, or their drawbacks isn't applicable for certain weapons. There's a lack of variation currently, since there's mostly dominant choices for mods, or they don't have any effect on certain weapons.

Balancing the mods should make the game more fair towards new players, give more depth to veteran players, and provide much more variation for everyone.

8 hours ago, killerskull said:

First of all this should be in suggestions thread. Second, why cant we have mods with no down sides? Have them be upgrades but with very little positive. For example, rather than being +10% damage and -20% accuracy, Id rather take only +3% damage increase.

To post it in suggestions, we should first come up with a good suggestion to propose, and this is a good forum for such a discussion. Since this game isn't about getting stronger through progression, mods needs to be balanced so they don't give any advantage over anyone who wouldn't be using mods, see my example from RTW above to understand why. The good thing about having tiered mods, is so that people can pick one based on their preference, so there could be a mod that gives you +3% damage increase, for a smaller drawback.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dopefish said:
That's the thing, there shouldn't ever be any straight upgrades
But thats just an opinion, no?

It is, but then there would be a huge advantage to veterans, if mods were straight upgrades to weapons. If anyone remembers the OCA "Undertaker" prior to its slight change near the end days of rtw, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, Savage 3, short sighted 3, spray and pray 3 n-tec.

6 minutes ago, Kempington said:

It is, but then there would be a huge advantage to veterans, if mods were straight upgrades to weapons. If anyone remembers the OCA "Undertaker" prior to its slight change near the end days of rtw, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Is anyone saying we should bring those back?
And if there is no benefit to sticking with the game, why even have rank? Edited by CookiePuss

3PS3 has no effect on shotguns ... (in switch hands like b4 so its ok) xD

17 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
And if there is no benefit to sticking with the game, why even have rank?
Theres plenty of benefits to sticking with the game, without having the need for mods that directly improve your weaponry. However, I feel it's rather important that players who have been with this game for 100s of hours don't have the ability to be overwhelming new players primarily due to having fully geared weapons that are upgraded via their mods, with no downsides. I mean it'll still happen, but that will be down to experience differences.

That would be what happened in the rtw APB. It was a tough road for new players in that game.

It's a tricky one, but I feel mods being sidegrades and stat tweakers, rather than straight benefits is a better way to go.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kempington said:

wasnt it the OCA fireball?
And i do remember savage 3 tho... back in the RTW days there were so many unbalanced stuff

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:
And if there is no benefit to sticking with the game, why even have rank?
rank doesn’t even affect weapon mod unlocks anyway?

@Revoluzzer thanks for actively participating in the discussion with some good insight. I think your classification of the mods might be the most accurate, and even if they are not hard rules, it's good to have some guidelines for their purpose.

I'm still of the opinion that there should be no straight upgrades, and as you already noted, some of the current drawbacks are negligible on certain setups. I personally would like this to be reworked, but what's your thoughts?

To bring something more positive to the discussion, I'd like every mod to have an effect on the weapon it's used on, and if they're being tweaked with drawbacks it also means they could have an bigger effect while still keeping it balanced.

5 hours ago, CookiePuss said:
5 hours ago, Dopefish said:
That's the thing, there shouldn't ever be any straight upgrades
But thats just an opinion, no?
It's how I've interpreted the design intention of APB, and if it would attempt to be something more similar to The Division for example, then we got an even bigger issue.

I'm maxed ranked, so being overpowered would be in my favour, but I don't find unbalanced matchups enjoyable. The reason why I care so much about this, is because it's a design philosophy that's important for player retention.

If a new player comes in to the game and see everyone else being more powerful than him, and his only chance to catch up is with a severe time investment, he's more likely to quit and never play again.

And before you say "but I stayed", keep in mind that for everyone who did, at least a dozen didn't.

This change alone won't change that perception, but it's an important step towards it.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:03 AM, BlitzKitty said:

negative- it's purple, and takes up a mod slot that could be filled with better mods, like tagger.

tagger is only good on like a pmg or shotgun or oca something when fighting close range.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:18 AM, Cutey said:
fnmod_weapon_threepointsling3.png
A few suggestions:
+ add delay to switch back to pistol.
or
+ reduce weapon damage with this mod.

3-Point Sling 3 shoud be ballanced.

The negative effect of it would be you drinking bleach at the end of a match, and thinking that it needs a nerf.

The mod is already not that great, you want to nerf it? I think you should join this thread
Make nerf the nerf great again!!

On 8/4/2018 at 8:18 AM, Cutey said:
fnmod_weapon_threepointsling3.png
A few suggestions:
+ add delay to switch back to pistol.
or
+ reduce weapon damage with this mod.

3-Point Sling 3 shoud be ballanced.
Adding delay to switch pack to pistol is just to remove that mod entirely, this mod is balanced just fine as it is

can we not create loads of threads for every mod please? They are surely aware of which mods need a tweak and which dont.

also, give them time guys, let them work on things step by step...

if I wanna play an entirely new game, i will just buy a new one. I dont want em to mess the game up, just saying...

Not every mod needs to have a negative lol.

Literally this thread is just people saying 'why would you do that' or 'hey every other mod has a negative effect so lets have LO make 3ps3 useless by adding a negative'

People barely use 3ps3 after 195 rn, besides for shaw/hvr. Add a negative effect to the mod and you're looking at a grand total of 0 people using it. 3ps3 isnt even the 'best option' out of all the purples just because it has no negative effect. In my eyes its the least best option for 80% of guns.

I really don't understand what goes through peoples brains on the forums these days.

On 8/6/2018 at 12:37 PM, K4SS said:

this game's balance has got a lot bigger issues than 3ps3 having no downsides

wrong