Uru!

rebranding and/or the future retention of new players

so everyone is aware of the stigma APB has, however it varies from person to person:

• "the game is filled with hackers"
  • "gamersfirst is bad"
  • "it has no players"
  • "the game is balanced poorly"
  • "the game is not beginner friendly"
whatever the case being, should these issues however true be fixed, what's the plan to get people to return, or to get new players?
the roadmap did a good job laying out how to make apb better for people who already play the game, but eventually it will return to the same state if the population remains this depressingly low
i'm all for changing the name to APB Reloaded: Reloaded, thoughts?

word of mouth

if the game is good, word of mouth will reflect it.

if it is bad, likewise. Everytime I post an APB gif on a random subreddit, people always go "I REMEMBER THAT GAME, IS IT STILL SH*T"?

all LO needs to do is speak through their actions. 

unlike G1 who utilized empty words.

calm down, orbit has to actually change the game failry massively before any rebranding/advertising otherwise people will come back just to see the same issues and leave for good again

14 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

calm down, orbit has to actually change the game failry massively before any rebranding/advertising otherwise people will come back just to see the same issues and leave for good again

basically this^
maybe wait til something actually changes

15 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

Just now, CookiePuss said:
this is why i said "should these issues be fixed"
the roadmap mentioned a future project being UT4, but didn't mention anything about the issue i suggested
i'm not saying this is the most urgent pressing issue at the moment, but there has been little to no conversation on this subject

11 minutes ago, Uru! said:
but there has been little to no conversation on this subject
what conversation is there to be had? if the game is good, it'll sort itself out. if it's bad, it'll linger like it has in the past, stuck on life support.

8 minutes ago, Aeronaut said:
20 minutes ago, Uru! said:
but there has been little to no conversation on this subject
what conversation is there to be had? if the game is good, it'll sort itself out. if it's bad, it'll linger like it has in the past, stuck on life support.
returning players are still only half of the issue; i can't say i ever saw decent advertising for APB, and plenty of new players end up playing for <5 hours

2 minutes ago, Uru! said:

returning players are still only half of the issue; i can't say i ever saw decent advertising for APB, and plenty of new players end up playing for <5 hours

apb is a fairly well known game for better or worse, and in this day and age advertising isnt really mandatory; once orbit actually makes big changes (like the engine upgrade) word will get out 

look at the purchase of g1 - there was only about 3 articles about it afaik yet the population pretty much doubled 

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:
look at the purchase of g1 - there was only about 3 articles about it afaik yet the population pretty much doubled 
I'd say the majority of the doubled population are returning players who loved the game but refused to play it while it was under (old) G1's control.

2 minutes ago, Similarities said:
I'd say the majority of the doubled population are returning players who loved the game but refused to play it while it was under (old) G1's control.
completely true but, despite never having had big active population numbers, apb has had a lot of players over the years and we'll return to comfortable levels if orbit can bring even a fraction of those players back to the game imo

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:
completely true but, despite never having had big active population numbers, apb has had a lot of players over the years and we'll return to comfortable levels if orbit can bring even a fraction of those players back to the game imo
I agree with you, the current issue is most definitely player retention and probably less to do with recruiting new players (but that needs to be streamlined out as well), if we can get some of the older players back from 2014-2016 (when the game was like 2-4x larger than it is currently) and keep them, they'll tell the friends they made to come back, and their friends will tell their friends to come back, and so on and so forth. Word of mouth is definitely a big part of bringing the diehard player base back.

For me is really fishy that they keep g1 name... makes me doubt even when i probably shouldnt.

Even i am not playing since they plan to "rebalance" weapons.
Who knows what we can find on the next patch... there are plenty of games that fucked up their gameplay doing deepchanges and i just dont want to deal with it.

Summing a bit over here, a bit over there, the insecurity just keeps increasing.

Edited by Excalibur!

they are aware of all those issues.

1 hour ago, Uru! said:

so everyone is aware of the stigma APB has, however it varies from person to person:

• "gamersfirst is bad"
  • "it has no players"
whatever the case being, should these issues however true be fixed, what's the plan to get people to return, or to get new players?
the roadmap did a good job laying out how to make apb better for people who already play the game, but eventually it will return to the same state if the population remains this depressingly low
1. they implemented battleye immediately, the industry leader in anti cheat. if battleye 100% fails to do its job, all those triple A companies also bare that burden.
2. while they haven't completely separated themselves from g1, they already did more than they did in the last 2-3 years. most vocal gaming journalists have already reported on little orbits acquistion
3. players will come when server issues and actual content gets added, lot of players are aware of this and waiting
4. balance will always be a topic of discussion.. still, it's being worked on and discussed already.
5. there's a good and bad to this but most of this is related to matchmaking.. also something they are working on.

of course none of this matters when there are threads and troll responses are the ones being favored. the same questions/complaints they have (no matter how stupid or repetitive), you still lose a player's opinion with the current forum system. i dont think these forums serve much purpose for anything but a circle jerk of edgy replies. Edited by tennogrineer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

they are aware of all those issues

i want you to reread exactly what i said and understand that these are not my complaints, these are examples of stigmas that people have about the game that prevent them from returning

1 hour ago, Uru! said:

• "gamersfirst is bad"
  • "it has no players"
I think they should just drop the Reloaded title. Bring back old login screen, and bring back APB: All Points Bulletin
  • The game is no longer a hack infested cheat fest.
  • Gamersfirst is now Little Orbit's subsidiary, and basically Little Orbit, which is widely now known amongst the players, and people who reported and read the articles.
  • Players have returned from the depths of APB Hell.
  • Balance is subjective to the meta.
  • True.
With so much being done to rebrand the game, and the management, I see only positive growth. 
Once Little Orbit do some more changes, I'm quite sure new players will be making a rise for our great game 🙂 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uru! said:
9 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

they are aware of all those issues

i want you to reread exactly what i said and understand that these are not my complaints, these are examples of stigmas that people have about the game that prevent them from returning

i know what you said. im discussing them and their current state and the affect/effect they have/had.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

i know what you said. im discussing them and their current state and the affect/effect they have/had.

Affect is the action that you're doing
Effect is the consequence of said action.

Examples:
I didn't know my depression would affect me so much.

Did you see the effect of Steve Jobs' death to Apple's stock? Edited by Sergsininia
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sergsininia said:
Affect is the action that you're doing
Effect is the consequence of said action.
hence why i used both, two different use cases in my statement 🙂
  • Like 1

Just now, tennogrineer said:
Actually effect would've been more effective. But I see where you're coming from. The two words are certainly an annoying feature of the English language.

1 minute ago, Sergsininia said:
2 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:
Actually effect would've been more effective. But I see where you're coming from. The two words are certainly an annoying feature of the English language.
yeah. i know its getting off-topic, but what i meant to do was join these two:
"... current state and the affect they have." (ongoing developments)
+ "... current state and the effect they had." (what has already been done)
____
= "im discussing them and their current state and the affect/effect they have/had."

Just now, tennogrineer said:
yeah. i know its getting off-topic, but what i meant to do was join these two:
"... current state and the affect they have." (ongoing developments)
+ "... current state and the effect they had." (what has already been done)
____
= "im discussing them and their current state and the affect/effect they have/had."

Oh, well... my bad ;-; 

back on topic now!

<sarcasm>
We could name it APB Re:Reloaded
</sarcasm>

Revive the epic goat naming scheme.

other than @tennogrineer and @sergsininia being too smart for these forums (seriously).... i think for a true fresh perspective on the game, they have to fix the issues first. its current state, they have a plan and it's just a matter of prioritizing and keeping us updated. Matt Scott seems to be doing both.

32 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

of course none of this matters when there are threads and troll responses are the ones being favored. the same questions/complaints they have (no matter how stupid or repetitive), you still lose a player's opinion with the current forum system. i dont think these forums serve much purpose for anything but a circle jerk of edgy replies.
i also agree to this. forums were so much cleaner and serious before they added this. clearly it serves no purpose as we seen in the old forums (when it was added) and even today. not sure why they kept it.

Can't polish a turd 💩

until some big changes happen, there is no point in chatting about rebranding.

5 hours ago, tennogrineer said:

of course none of this matters when there are threads and troll responses are the ones being favored. the same questions/complaints they have (no matter how stupid or repetitive), you still lose a player's opinion with the current forum system. i dont think these forums serve much purpose for anything but a circle jerk of edgy replies.
I agree with this - the forum has been like this for years but I think the forum will improve as LO gain more confidence from the community. The King is Dead. Long Live the King!

7 hours ago, BXNNXD said:
apb is a fairly well known game for better or worse, and in this day and age advertising isnt really mandatory; once orbit actually makes big changes (like the engine upgrade) word will get out 

The number of accounts being used doubled. Thanks to the mass unbanning, I know one nerd who now counts for as many as 12 players. 
😛