Seedy

Cross District Matchmaking.. GTA Style loading?? I hope not!

Hey all. I am unsure how this will work but one thing I do know, if it works like it does in GTA Online where, when you get matched up with people, the game has to load you all in to a game and then you play on. When the game is over you all get loaded back in to some random district and you game on. I really hate how this works as it completely removes continuity from the game. Is APB going to have this as Matt said that we will have cross /d matchmaking. I really hope not! Please feel free to pipe in with your comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This would make the game much better and more fair. Dynamically moving teams to match the threats better, and eventually the district would have similarly skilled teams. Was this mentioned somewhere? I've been suggesting and hoping this for ages and I think it was discussed years ago too. Technically it doesn't have to "load" you if done correctly like in The Division. It changes the "server" on-the-fly without you noticing in any other way than enemies/players disappearing and appearing.

23 minutes ago, trismatic said:

This would make the game much better and more fair. Dynamically moving teams to match the threats better, and eventually the district would have similarly skilled teams. Was this mentioned somewhere? I've been suggesting and hoping this for ages and I think it was discussed years ago too. Technically it doesn't have to "load" you if done correctly like in The Division. It changes the "server" on-the-fly without you noticing in any other way than enemies/players disappearing and appearing.

if it was done on the fly then i see no issue. As long as it was seamless. 

I thought we covered all this on
discord?

Edited by CookiePuss

52 minutes ago, trismatic said:

Except for every single npc and player car on the road suddenly phasing in and out. Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

When threat will get fixed we won't need cross district matchmaking. If not then meh APB becoming more generic won't hold me for long

4 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

discord?

yea i was drunk last night.. Cant remember much from around 7pm GMT onwards.

Just now, Seedy said:
5 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

discord?

yea i was drunk last night.. Cant remember much from around 7pm GMT onwards.
lol oh thats right... carry on then!

It's possible to do it seamlessly, but it would require alot more work. Here's how it's handled in Sea of Thieves:

1 hour ago, Clandestine said:

When threat will get fixed we won't need cross district matchmaking. If not then meh APB becoming more generic won't hold me for long

Good luck on completely fixing the threat when you have 800 veterans and 200 new players
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:
Except for every single npc and player car on the road suddenly phasing in and out.
True, but a not a big deal.

3 hours ago, Clandestine said:

Threat system, while it has flaws, works decently enough but 40 players is just way too small a pool to pick players from. This system would fix people not getting opposed matches and make the matches more balanced.

imo, remove threat segregation, and adding cross district matchmaking, we wouldn't have the issues from before with dethreating, just to get into a "silver" district.

my thing though, is that being a /d scrub, and wanting to continue conversations with people, if my messages are going to everyone, and everyone is talking at the same time, I don't think there would be effective communication, constantly seeing /d scroll like most J-RPGs.

And switching instances continuously would certainly be annoying while chatting with people...

• Like 1

Threat fixed plus this would work after the engine upgrade since it would be powerful enough to do seamlessly

Modern games already do this so yeah its possible

There are few things GTA 5 does better than APB... just can't remember which...
It's an entirely different game, isn't it?

changes district for better mm
loads 2mins
get called in to mission for the last 30secs
loses match
press k again just to be called to mission for the last 30secs again

• Like 1

If you played on official wow servers and saw how cross server system works, you will understand. I'm really waiting for this system because it's the only one solution that can fix matchmaking imo.

Edited by Lign
  • Like 1

I don't see the issue of cross server as long as it's FAST. I mean it better be either a flicker of a loading screen or just straight jumping in. 
A thought teased my mind, What if this cross server matchmaking used the NPC car spawn points? (parking garages scattered around the city) Like say if you're driving and you get pulled cross server, you spawn into the new server from the nearest parking garage if you're in a vehicle. 

Hi all,

Yes. We can't do cross district matching till Unreal 3.5 is released. The current version of the game can't support phasing.

The new design will allow players to join any district they want to play in, and then match with any other player in that same district.
We can phase the matched players to a new district server with the best response time, and the game wont have to reload any art for the district.
This does mean that cars and pedestrians and other interactive props will change during the transition, but I feel like that is a small price to pay.

Aside from the player matching benefits, it also means you can join any district while you wait.
No sitting at the district listing and competing with every other player to get the last spot on the single desirable district with the full population.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Yes. We can't do cross district matching till Unreal 3.5 is released. The current version of the game can't support phasing.

The new design will allow players to join any district they want to play in, and then match with any other player in that same district.
We can phase the matched players to a new district server with the best response time, and the game wont have to reload any art for the district.
This does mean that cars and pedestrians and other interactive props will change during the transition, but I feel like that is a small price to pay.

Aside from the player matching benefits, it also means you can join any district while you wait.
No sitting at the district listing and competing with every other player to get the last spot on the single desirable district with the full population.

Thanks,
Matt

i dont think props etc are important.. they are just decoration (although they need to be there to keep the /d looking like its alive).

I think we will just need to see what you have in store. the way i see it is if you have a full district (50v50), to boost the backup from another /D will it be possible to have more than 50 v 50 at a given point? Lets say we are in a /d with 48 v 48 and we call backup, will we then be able to drag in 4 other people which will then make it a 104 person /d (if each side gets 4 extra). if this is th case, what if everyone stays? The district could end up with more and ,more people depending on backup called and the mission the player is on. Edited by Seedy

Cross district matchmaking might improve matchmaking, but it is one idiotic solution.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Cross district matchmaking might improve matchmaking, but it is one idiotic solution.

No, it's the best possible solution. Matchmaking would then be server-wide and have a much larger pool of players to draw from. How, in any conceivable way, is it an idiotic solution?
  • Like 1

i can’t wait to district phase inside of a civilians car and explode

that said i think it’s a great solution to arguably one of apbs bigggest issues

2 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i can’t wait to district phase inside of a civilians car and explode

that said i think it’s a great solution to arguably one of apbs bigggest issues

im driving down the road.. la la la.. listening to the tunes.. next thing.. spawned in new /d . right on top of another car.. dead or thrown right the fuck up in the air like we used to exploit for youtube videos.. Hey we might even get back up the the PCs and stuff on the top of that roof!