Sign in to follow this  
SKay

Hex to APB HSL converter

So yeah this took an age for me to even get around to.

In short, it converts a standard Hex colour pallette to a close representation of what the APB HSL system is. It was coded by myself in an afternoon (after about half a year of being lazy and doing several re-writes). It does one way conversions at the moment (it only converts Hex to APB HSL, not the other way around), but will support discrete two-way conversions (more like approximations) soonTM.

Link is here and the changelist is down below (if you ever want something like that).

Changelist:

25/09
========================================================

1.2 Release
------------
Re-wrote a lot of the website design. Now looks a bit cleaner. A bit. It's still in development.

08/08

1.1 Release
------------
Added two-way colour conversion. You can now see what the closest hex value is to an ingame colour.
Re-tweaked some values internally to allow for closer colour conversion from Hex 2 APB HSL.
Added the credits tab (used to be the about tab, but not is actual credits).
Removed Clarkson.
Added the about tab.
Made the box grey.

22/07

Initial Release

Edited by SKay
  • Like 4

Bump, new version out.

1.1 Release
------------
Added two-way colour conversion. You can now see what the closest hex value is to an ingame colour.
Re-tweaked some values internally to allow for closer colour conversion from Hex 2 APB HSL.
Added the credits tab (used to be the about tab, but not is actual credits).
Removed Clarkson.
Added the about tab.
Made the box grey.

Bump. Don't worry, it's for a reason.

Slightly newer machine the webserver sits on. Now includes a re-write.

e5c00e445c7519b7cba8dc3a7e23af4c.jpg

This is Version 1.2, but it's also only the beginning while I actually write code that isn't chicken scratch.

• Like 1

Bump.

This website has been restored! I forgot to do it for an age and the box it sat on was having a fit, so a re-install and a upgrade later it should be available... well until I forget it again.

I'm currently working on a colour picker based on an image import - i.e you pick a pixel on an uploaded image and it'll give the closest as sheer possible APB HSL colour. Please remember that APB's HSL colour subsystem is that - a subsystem. No matter how hard you try, there just cannot be more colours squeezed out of it. Unless you perform a colour gradient workaround... which leads me to my second WIP:

Colour in Colour preview, or CIC for short.

It's been a thing for ages that content creators for APB use the inbuilt opacity slider to adjust the output colour. This is in effect using a RGB-like system to give more colours. However as it stands, it requires a lot of manual trial and error to get a desired colour. My work aims to get rid of this limitation. At least, hopefully.

The theoretical maths means that the shortfall of 4096 colours is essentially eliminated. If the opacity is set correctly for both layers, the 4096 colours becomes potentially 16,777,216. This is essentially emulating 24-bit colour, which is the equivalent of 8-bit RGB. Snappy!

This might take a while of figuring out the best way of doing it, so it's going to be teased as I go along. But hopefully before the start of summer is the planned date when it'll get released.

Watch this space!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2