Dopefish

Resolution differences affecting crosshair and perceived recoil

There's an issue in the game where the crosshair size and perceived recoil would differentiate between different resolutions. Crosshair is affected by the UI scale, and doesn't correctly represent your weapon spread if it's not set to the native UI size.

Even though the actual recoil is the same, it's perceived differently as there's an increased amount of screen shake on higher resolutions, compared to lower ones, especially compared 4:3 to 16:9 resolutions.

The screenshots below illustrates the differences in crosshair sizes based on resolution and UI scaling:

3840x2160 UI Scaling 1
IuBCVup.jpg

3840x2160 UI Scaling 0
AxFk0ap.jpg

The video below illustrates how the spread manages to kill someone outside of the crosshair size:

Screenshots and video courtesy of @ZombieBiscuit. Edited by Dopefish
Corrected screenshot resolution
  • Like 1

Who is that pretty character. Wish my character looked that good. :^)

Note: I play at 4k for video benefits despite it being a straight up disadvantage for gameplay. The UI is so small for me at 4k that I have to move my entire head to look at stuff and can even cover my minimap with my thumb. Though this does provide the ability to easily crop it out in post production of videos for a higher quality look. For normal play this can be fixed by just changing the UI scale to 1 which also makes the crosshair accurate regardless of resolution.

Preferably I would not want the game to force a 1:1 UI scale on me as I think aesthetically this looks bad and would ruin video creation. A better solution would be decoupling crosshair scale from UI scale so that UI scale affects only the HUD portions. Then a proper crosshair customization be implemented so that the two can be changed independent of one another. This would allow benefits for numerous groups of players.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Preferably I would not want the game to force a 1:1 UI scale on me as I think aesthetically this looks bad and would ruin video creation. A better solution would be decoupling crosshair scale from UI scale so that UI scale affects only the HUD portions. Then a proper crosshair customization be implemented so that the two can be changed independent of one another.

I fully agree with this, and I don't see a reason why the crosshair should be coupled with the UI scale. This wouldn't solve the perceived increase of recoil though.

"Few" more images for comparison between resolutions - UI scale size

1920x1080 UI scaling 0
cjghalJ.png

1920x1080 UI scaling 1
pDzy8GI.png

1920x1080 UI scaling 0
F2Bilux.png

1920x1080 UI scaling 1
Qn4zf7T.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3840x2160 UI scaling 0
faFaJyj.jpg

3840x2160 UI scaling 1
X9psKbM.jpg

3840x2160 UI scaling 0
Omt1JJz.jpg

3840x2160 UI scaling 1
Zr147XC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just going to casually bump this topic as this age old game breaking glitch is still not addressed and some people may still not be aware of this. Long range weapons suffer the most from this issue.

Edited by Weaboos