MattScott

Apologies for issues today

Hi everyone,

This is just a brief post to acknowledge and apologize for the horrible networks issues today. Our servers were hit with a series of nonstop DDOS attacks across both regions for about 5 hours between 11am and 4pm PDT. This is by far the worst series of collective attacks we’ve seen. We switched to mitigation and tripped another network issue with our provider that made the issue worse.

We will do better in the future.

Sorry,
Matt

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Really wondering how much it must be costing these people to DDoS. Mind blowing how far some people will go, honestly.

Thank you for the update.

• Like 5

keep it up Matt, its relieving to know youre atleast trying.

• Like 2

Just now, Fennel said:

keep it up Matt, its relieving to know youre atleast trying.

Agreed, not just him, all of LO, they've already seen how relentless this community can be, i'm glad they're not just giving up.
  • Like 1

I want to remain hopeful but with these attacks going on for years, it's pretty demoralizing. I have no expertise in this area, but have LO considered asking some other studio contemporaries how they have handled similar issues? I've never seen a game's servers be so crippled by attacks.

• Like 3

We are reaching out to a couple other MMO/online game companies now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Remember those empty words that those individuals used to shift the blame on G1?
Trying to justify their petty actions as some crusade for all the wrongdoings that happened under G1?
Guess what? Scum is still scum and still the only constant. Weak beings struggling with their insecurities!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Snubnose said:
fa6ee65c89d7f406d8a918270b3dafe5ad25a004
when will the suffering end...
FBI: *WE'RE OUTSIDE THE VIRGINS HOUSE*
Virgins: WE HAVE DDOSED APB
FBI: FBI OPEN UP
VIRGINS: SHIT THE JIG IS UP RUN!
*Gets caught*
*You're under arrest for ddosing. Anything can and will be used in the court of the law.*
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

This is just a brief post to acknowledge and apologize for the horrible networks issues today. Our servers were hit with a series of nonstop DDOS attacks across both regions for about 5 hours between 11am and 4pm PDT. This is by far the worst series of collective attacks we’ve seen. We switched to mitigation and tripped another network issue with our provider that made the issue worse.

We will do better in the future.

Sorry,
Matt

Still love you!
7 minutes ago, MattScott said:

It will be interesting to see what they say, APB can't be alone with these attacks.

11 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hopefully they can help... 😞 Edited by Dragon

14 minutes ago, MattScott said:

u need valve

As frustrating as the lag is, I actually laughed a lot playing tonight.
Everyone was just teleporting around, packet loss, no hitreg.
Def a clusterfuck, but we were all in it together so in a weird way it was pretty entertaining.

Anyhoo, good luck!

• Like 1

Just imagine what these dedicated ddosing nerds could accomplish if they actually tried doing something constructive with their lives.

Don't blame you @MattScott, the fault doesn't lie with you or LO.  We've been dealing with this for years.

• Like 1

couple other companies using the same provider?

did the provider say anything?

Confident you guys will find a solution soon enough. Can't wait for this nightmare to be over with. It's literally the saddest thing when these guys do this every day especially on a game that barely has any players left

DDoS is a nasty thing, and if I remember what Matt said, until they do some fundamental changes to the networking code, we need to rely on their ISP's mitigation technology.

Edited by Saxtus
missing comma

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Any idea who/why anyone would be that mad to attack APB like this?
You been really nice with everyone even to me, and actually trying to bring back this awesome game.

Are the netcode changes mentioned in that other thread possibly going to ship on Tuesday (17th)? Or are they still too early in dev to be shipped live?

Hi there,

53 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Are the netcode changes mentioned in that other thread possibly going to ship on Tuesday (17th)? Or are they still too early in dev to be shipped live?

We tested network code last week, and it still needs some work, so it wont be ready for Tuesday.
Believe me, we are pushing as hard as we can.

BTW - in publicly acknowledging and apologizing for the DDOS attacks (over Twitter, Facebook, and this forum), we got two more attacks within minutes.
I often debate exactly how much information to share with the community due to this exact problem.
LO has not interest in hiding anything, but every time we give information out, it also goes directly to the people initiating these attacks.
Fortunately we're on mitigation right now, and those attackers wasted their efforts. They can't make it any worse.

Rest assured, we're not giving up.
Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Matt
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 16

Sadly these DDoS attacks have been going on for so long that we've kinda become used to them. Appreciate the information though.

• Like 2

Giving the DDOSers attention only feeds their megalomania. Yet if there were no official word on the topic people will jump the gun and go "omg LO doesnt care about servers hurr durr".

Edited by Nickyan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickyan said:

Giving the DDOSers attention only feeds their megalomania. Yet if there were no official word on the topic people will jump the gun and go "omg LO doesnt care about servers hurr durr".

Yea...better do nothing
BkKZgmBCYAAQi6A.jpg

i will never understand why people do this crap..@LO.. us real players !!  real fans !! of the game got faith an we wait years for help...we know its not gonna be some easy ride..keep up with what u doing we got your back...

• Like 1