Kylegrey2

G1 processing cc payments as cash withdrawals

Ive already sent an email to support but decided to to post here so everyone is aware.

I bought 20$ worth of g1c with my Visa credit card. I was charged 27.71$ on my card (exchange rate and taxes I assume account for the extra cost). However I was also charged an additional 5$ in cash withdrawal fees by Visa for the purchase.

Obviously making an online purchase is not the same thing as making a cash withdrawal. I spoke to Visa and was told that due to the way g1 processes their payments as a "quasi cash withdrawal" I was charged an additional 5$ in fees. Im really not happy that I was charged this additional 5$ without being warned in advance. Over 32$ for 20$ of g1c is really not worth it. I dont like being nickel and dimed in this way and dont think I will be buying anymore just out of principle. 

So just a heads up for anyone planing on buying g1c with their credit card, the payment is processed by g1 as a cash withdrawal and you will be charged additional fees by your credit card company as a result.

• Thanks 2

Darn...was this before or after the 100g1c per $1?

I think it was after after the 100g1c per $1.  It was on the 4th of July. I got what I paid for and was happy until I got the 5$ cash advance charge from visa. When you consider Canadian to american exchange rate, federal and provincial sales tax and now a 5$ cash advance fee, its more like 1.63$ Canadian for 100g1c.  

seems like a huge issue that shouldn't happen. possibly avoided by using paypal or another similar service, but might be because of direct cc usage.

The forums aren't the place for this specific issue, so I'm glad you put in a support request so they can reply personally to you.

On the technical side, a quick review of your transaction shows it being charged correctly for $20 USD. We then redirect to the payment provider (Paymentwall) where they converted to 17.57 EUR given your country and currency. That was paid and we reconciled the payment for the correct amount. The extra ~$7.00 USD is likely some kind of fee/charge on your bank or debit card's side as it's not reflected in the charge we made or the amount collected. The transaction date also occurred prior to the G1C ratio change date, so it's not related to those changes.

We are looking into refactoring our credit card options soon to be better as we have had complaints about Paymentwall. PayPal is a good alternative in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Majiik said:

The forums aren't the place for this specific issue, so I'm glad you put in a support request so they can reply personally to you.

On the technical side, a quick review of your transaction shows it being charged correctly for $20 USD. We then redirect to the payment provider (Paymentwall) where they converted to 17.57 EUR given your country and currency. That was paid and we reconciled the payment for the correct amount. The extra ~$7.00 USD is likely some kind of fee/charge on your bank or debit card's side as it's not reflected in the charge we made or the amount collected. The transaction date also occurred prior to the G1C ratio change date, so it's not related to those changes.

We are looking into refactoring our credit card options soon to be better as we have had complaints about Paymentwall. PayPal is a good alternative in the meantime.

On the side note:
The problem with paypal is that there is a lot of tax on top of the price. While on other payment options there isn't any tax added to the price. How does that come? Edited by Leander465

3 minutes ago, Leander465 said:
The problem with paypal is that there is a lot of tax on top of the price. While on other payment options there isn't any tax added to the price. How does that come?
might be a regional tax kind of thing

i live in NY and theres no tax on paypal purchases, nor is there any for other U.S. states afaik

Edited by BXNNXD
typo

21 minutes ago, Leander465 said:
On the side note:
The problem with paypal is that there is a lot of tax on top of the price. While on other payment options there isn't any tax added to the price. How does that come?
Sales tax can vary based on the payment option and location. I will see if we can look into it.
  • Like 1

Paypal has taxes everywhere. I go buy a game from some site, Ahh paypal tax extra 1.2$ on 10$

9 hours ago, BXNNXD said:
might be a regional tax kind of thing. i live in NY and theres no tax on paypal purchases, nor is there any for other U.S. states afaik
I live in California, and can confirm there's no taxes for Paypal usage. Must be a thing for those outside the US.

Tax is depends on seller agreement + location, as be4 wrote, but if do purchase no matter what good I have no extra charge but g1 probably in purpose charging to decrease fees for transfers, tax or widraw.
in cases transfering money not same country moustly cases fee apply, even friend transfer, depends on country from and where. Purchases for goods/services should not be apply fee as this is sellers duty and he do profit... Some seller trying bypass via adding extra costs...

Edited by Dahel

Paypal has fees from what I see when I try to buy:

s4HrRbK.png

2hGhUQY.png

3 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

Paypal has fees from what I see when I try to buy:

Where do you live?

Athens, Greece

7 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

Athens, Greece

PayPal is a US company, so it's not surprising that you'd be subject to some form of international processing fee.

I used visa 1 week ago and I didn't have any hidden cost. I took the 10 dolar pack, my bank account is in -10 dolars.

So it's either Visa + Fees or Paypal + Fees. Seems fair.
Someone told me that Steam doesn't have fees, I start to doubt that now...

Just now, Saxtus said:

So it's either Visa + Fees or Paypal + Fees. Seems fair.
Someone told me that Steam doesn't have fees, I start to doubt that now...

Have you ever tried purchasing the premium currency with direct credit? I've done so a few times in the past on alt accounts, and have never sustained any sort of secondary fees or charges.

13 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

Athens, Greece

It's VAT. The VAT is 24% in Greece which is consistent with the picture you sent. I live in Australia and I pay nothing really like 10% extra. You should get this whenever you go to purchase something in the Armas marketplace telling you which taxes/fees are applicable to your purchase. 

"All prices include 10% sales tax. The name for this tax varies by country (VAT, GST, JCT)." Edited by AgentWatson

That's weird. So no sales tax if I use Paymentwall/Steam?

5 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

That's weird. So no sales tax if I use Paymentwall/Steam?

I'm not sure about Steam, I've never attempted to purchase G1C through Steam but I'd pretty surprised if taxes weren't applicable to CC purchases. It may not show up on Armas interface but it may be something as a separate transaction your CC provider does on the backend. I'm obviously not going to purchase something to try it out. 

I've always used Steam, and I've never been extra-charged when adding funds to my Steam wallet. I think everyone should consider using that alternative.

18 minutes ago, AgentWatson said:
I'd pretty surprised if taxes weren't applicable to CC purchases. It may not show up on Armas interface but it may be something as a separate transaction your CC provider does on the backend. I'm obviously not going to purchase something to try it out. 
I did buy 10000 G1C (+ bonus) last November using my AmEx card. Checked my CC statement and I wasn't charged anything more than what appeared when I was ordering:
BCccedl.png Edited by Saxtus