whitecrystall

Where are all these cheaters?

The thing the APB community seems to be the most worried about right now are cheaters or """hackers""", but in my 1000 hours of gameplay I can only recall seeing around 3-5 people who I'd actually want to suggest are probably cheating.

Is there some actual statistics on the amount of cheaters because I'm ready to just straight out suggest that 95%-98% of allegation are false, this theory is further supported by the fact that I've been accused of cheating weekly, which of course, I haven't.

What are other experienced players opinions on this? Agree with me that it's mostly bullshoot or do you think APB really has a huge cheating problem?

• Like 1

PvP People do not like to lose period, rather than accept the fact they got outplayed it's easier just to hackusate the other party. also makes them feel a bit better.
not saying there are no cheaters because im sure there are however a lot of false accusations do fly around. hasn't it always been this way though?

8 minutes ago, iTzHaze said:

PvP People do not like to lose period, rather than accept the fact they got outplayed it's easier just to hackusate the other party. also makes them feel a bit better.
not saying there are no cheaters because im sure there are however a lot of false accusations do fly around. hasn't it always been this way though?

Sure but i feel that 2 anti-cheating systems in a game where cheating is barely existent (imo) is a bit over the top.

In those 1000 hours did you play between the loss of punkbuster and before battle eye?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Shini said:

In those 1000 hours did you play between the loss of punkbuster and before battle eye?

surely not, also it seems that the majority of those 17k FF bans must have been false bans, because Op never met any of them too.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LilyV3 said:

surely not, also it seems that the majority of those 17k FF bans must have been false bans, because Op never met any of them too.
Actually did, one of my nicest clan members. He might've been cheating I have absolutely no idea but it really didn't seem like it, if he did he was really bad at it since he wasn't top in any missions. We do know that FairFight did falsely ban a lot of people but I'd say the majority of bans were legit, but if you look in the greater scopes of things 17k is definitely a lot lower amount of people than the people who're constantly falsely accused of cheating, giving the illusion of the issue being greater than it is.

1 hour ago, Shini said:

I played when Punkbuster was being used, when FF got implemented, and BE just got implemented so yes? Haven't noticed much of a difference tbh

Perhaps you don't realize, but the game has about 1k activish users on Jericho.  If you're going to admit that the majority of FF bans were legit, then that ratio definitely means that having anti-cheat is a necessity.

1 minute ago, whitecrystall said:
but if you look in the greater scopes of things 17k is definitely a lot lower amount of people than the people who're constantly falsely accused of cheating
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eyepop said:

Perhaps you don't realize, but the game has about 1k activish users on Jericho.  If you're going to admit that the majority of FF bans were legit, then that ratio definitely means that having anti-cheat is a necessity.

The FF bans are only account bans, meaning that people who enjoy cheating just make a new account after getting banned, which also gets banned of course. 1 person could = 20 banned accounts as far as I'm concerned

https://ffbans.org/page/2
Scroll through the ban list, over 80% of accounts are extremely low ranked meaning that they're probably not their first Edited by whitecrystall

Let's assume, for giggles, that half the bans are false.  Leaves us 8.5k bans.  Let's assume... a third of those people are on Jericho.  2.83k bans.  Let's assume 20 accounts banned per individual hacker.  Leaves you more than 100 hackers on Jericho, with plenty of wiggle room.  Which means you're looking at ~10% of players being hackers.

Sounds like we need anticheat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eyepop said:

Let's assume, for giggles, that half the bans are false.  Leaves us 8.5k bans.  Let's assume... a third of those people are on Jericho.  2.83k bans.  Let's assume 20 accounts banned per individual hacker.  Leaves you more than 100 hackers on Jericho, with plenty of wiggle room.  Which means you're looking at ~10% of players being hackers.

Sounds like we need anticheat.

You're comparing daily active player numbers to total ban numbers... Do you not see a flaw in that?

If you want to compare total numbers then the estimated total APB owners sits at 1 to 5 million. So lets assume 1 million, that's around 0.28%, which is still actually more than I've observed personally but is a much more logical number

All numbers you see of "estimated total APB owners" aren't actually owners, it's people who have booted up the game once.  For a f2p game, there's no investment there, and so lots of people boot the game, immediately decide they don't like it, and never do so again.  And the actual number for that stat is 5,874,946.  Nice.

But, I object to your assertion that there is a flaw in my previous statement.  You said that these people have created 20 accounts, cheated on them, and been caught on them.  These are people dedicated to playing this game.  The likelihood that they're going to be part of the active population at the start of APB's revival is really high.

Do I think that 10% of current users have cheated at this game?  That sounds like a really high number, and I don't really want to believe it.  I'd personally put it at ~5%.  There's probably a couple cheaters for every full Fight Club instance.  But to answer the question: the cheaters are in your games, if you're playing against high-rank golds.  If you're a bronze, you probably don't run into them much.

tl;dr
cheaters used to be common
now, less so

that being said, best advice is to not worry about who may or may not be cheating, just play, have fun, and try to do better than you did the last match

Edited by CookiePuss
  • Like 1

I do wonder about that line matt said about rebanning people that there is proof that they cheated.

bhPF8ok.png

Edited by SelttikS

Just now, SelttikS said:

I do wonder about that line matt said about rebanning people that there is proof that they cheated.

Maybe he thought of leaving them unbanned since everyone banned with or without proof got a second chance, and would get rebanned if they even try doing it again.. but maybe i'm wrong 🤔

1 minute ago, SelttikS said:

bhPF8ok.png

I think he meant banning them now if they are cheating now and there is evidence. 
Ive seen players admit to Matt to having cheated on their accounts when they were banned, he made no mention of banning them again just for that. 

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:
I think he meant banning them now if they are cheating now and there is evidence. 
Ive seen players admit to Matt to having cheated on their accounts when they were banned, he made no mention of banning them again just for that. 
And this is why officials have to be doubly careful with their word choices. As he answered it comes off as intending to ban everyone that there is proof out there of having cheated in the past. Even I feel that would be wrong at this point and i am pretty hard anti cheats.

1 minute ago, SelttikS said:
5 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
And this is why officials have to be doubly careful with their word choices. As he answered it comes off as intending to ban everyone that there is proof out there of having cheated in the past. Even I feel that would be wrong at this point and i am pretty hard anti cheats.
Agreed. 

6 hours ago, whitecrystall said:

but in my 1000 hours of gameplay 

Lets do a quick math OP.

Lets take the time to create a new acct to be 5mins.

Takes some 5 mins to create a char name, server and ur char.

Why this math? Meet film,  who has around 210 banned accts.

Time to create 210 banned accts= 35 hours. Such dedication.

Lets take he got banned in a time period of 2 days on an average with 3hrs of gameplay per day. 

Time played on 210 accts is 1260 hrs.

Totally he had spent around 1295 hrs in apb which we know for sure. And there was a time which bans werent displayed on ffbans. Anyways he spent more time than u on apb.

A sidenote abt film is he has a main acct and he jus cheats for fun. 1295hrs.

The point im tryna say is..uh there are dedicated cheaters u havent even faced.

next time dont come here and talk abt ur hours and bla bla.

Peace 

Just now, Defibrillator said:
Lets do a quick math OP.

Lets take he got banned in a time period of 2 days on an average with 3hrs of gameplay per day. 

Totally he had spent around 1295 hrs in apb which we know for sure. And there was a time which bans werent displayed on ffbans. Anyways he spent more time than u on apb.

Peace 
do me do me, ive got 10k hours

6 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:
7 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:
Lets do a quick math OP.

Peace 
do me do me, ive got 10k hours
Restrict me a yukon and we'll talk abt it.

Edit: how many years have u been playing apb? Ill figure out a way if u'd answer it. Edited by Defibrillator

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

best advice is to not worry about who may or may not be cheating, just play, have fun, and try to do better than you did the last match

Best way tbh, if and when i encounter someone a bit suspect i just think... pffff that was a bit dodgy...... whatever move along.
no point wasting your own time wondering.

cheaters are like my dogs farts when he is sitting under my desk.. Im like "FFS man wtf you little prick!".. then 2 minutes later its gone never to be sniffed again.

Oddly I have run into an obvious cheater yet.  I have made a lot of snap shots with the ACT pistol that I'm shocked I haven't been accused.

Edited by illgot

1 hour ago, Defibrillator said:
Restrict me a yukon and we'll talk abt it.

Edit: how many years have u been playing apb? Ill figure out a way if u'd answer it.
been playing since 2011 iirc