MattScott

Lixil’s public stream

Hi all,

Lots of unintended drama today, so I’m going to unpack it a little.

Here is the context:
My Community Manager came to me with an idea. She is a former streamer, and she asked about playing APB on Twitch. The goal was to show players that we are making an attempt to learn the game and how it works. On the surface it seemed harmless enough, so I approved it.

I was wrong.

She did her first stream, and it went terribly bad. 

First, I wasn’t specific that I needed her to start from scratch with a new character. Clearly having her play a max rank character was not well thought out.

Second, APB is PvP. That means if her team wins, then another team loses. And that fact alone opens up too many questionable areas. It’s all well and good for me to run around a district and get shot at. Sure, you may not get to be the one that catches me, but I will eventually lose. And a player will always be the one to win.

Lastly, she got paired with questionable team
mates. If we lack the history of knowing everyone’s reputation, then we shouldn’t be streaming.

Lesson learned.

Our CM works tirelessly to create a fun space. She’s had a rough couple days. Everyone makes mistakes, but her heart was in the right place.

There will be no more gameplay streaming.

Going forward none of the LO staff should ever be in competition with our players. It’s impossible to prove they didn’t get extra high end gear that would unbalance the teams.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited for clarity. We still plan to do dev streams and special events.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

rip staff play sessions

another "glorious" win for the shit community

was it worth it tho?

Edited by BXNNXD
added more obvious disdain for the community
  • Like 30

I like this Matt guy. 
And not just cuz of the handsome beard  

Edited by CookiePuss
  • Like 4

There is nothing wrong with a PvP stream.  The most popular streamers only play PvP games, Fortnite, LoL, etc.

If you are going to stream, try streaming with basic gear, nothing more than a basic weapon.  Have the character look nice, but I would be careful showing off anything like JMB weapons or Armas weapons.

I never saw the stream, but as a developer, jumping into a PvP game with anything but basic weapons immediately red flags you.

2 minutes ago, UubeNubeh DaWog said:

People overreacted for small problems. Sad its taken a turn away from player interaction.

yer a small problem
... gottem

No more streaming at all? Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by that decision, but I can understand it due to today's drama.
GM/dev streams are one of the things APB has always needed though, I hope you look into it again for the future.

Edited after clarification

Edited by Kiida
  • Like 4

I will say, I personally don't see an issue with LO staff competing against players openly.

Especially when you mention something like where you were running around having people try to catch and kill you, the Reloaded team did version of that where the Dev or GM directly fought back against the players and it was a blast.

I appreciate the apology though.

<3

Just now, Kiida said:

No more streaming at all? Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by that decision, but I can understand it due to today's drama. GM/dev streams are one of the things APB has always needed though, I hope you look into it again for the future.

Just no gameplay streaming. We can still hope for dev streams in the future (I think). Something similar to what Jagex does I hope.

Just now, Pintail said:
Just no gameplay streaming. We can still hope for dev streams in the future (I think). Something similar to what Jagex does I hope.
Exactly this. The Runescape dev teams build SO much hype for future updates through their dev streams. I tried suggesting this in-game during one of the FC events with the GMs recently. There's obviously not much to work on in terms of content right now but it's something I'd love to see after the engine upgrade has rolled out.

2 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
yer a small problem
... gottem
Very small. The only real issue is that a person with past ban history got to play with the CM.

Because people believe that once you've broken the rules you get no second chances and have no rights at an opportunity to be like another player ever again. Wow the human race is so great. /s

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:
yer a small problem
... gottem
very small broblem

I made a quick edit. We still want to do streams with devs, Q&As, and special events. Just not against our players in game missions.

This was not meant as a punitive post to the community for how things went. It was just a clarification on our policies.

• Like 2

well this is sad, i hate it that just because one or a few people got upset that it just ruined it for everyone else, this community is just a pile of filth sometimes, hopefully later on Lixil and other staff can stream down the road maybe when EU 3.5 or the new game mode comes out so they can show us all the new stuff the dev team been working on and also have fun with the nice side of the community.
edit: I just want to say We love you Lixil.

Edited by TR3NT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MattScott said:

I made a quick edit. We still want to do streams with devs, Q&As, and special events. Just not against our players in game missions.

This was not meant as a punitive post to the community for how things went. It was just a clarification on our policies.

Thanks, Matt. Glad to see it's not completely off the board.

Just now, MattScott said:

-snip because its right there-

That's great news. I assumed there would be but clarification was needed.

10 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I will say, I personally don't see an issue with LO staff competing against players openly.

Especially when you mention something like where you were running around having people try to catch and kill you, the Reloaded team did version of that where the Dev or GM directly fought back against the players and it was a blast.

I appreciate the apology though.

❤️

dont remind me of that crap.

some dumbass gm tried to ban me because i kill him when he was invisible

edit below

its fine to stream the game, but just have the GM's not group with people. let them play solo queue.

let them understand how shit solo queuing in this game is against premades.

having the person grouped up with questionable players is enough to piss off the shitty community, but if they are playing solo then majority of the community will be able to feel the pain of the streamer.

Grouping up with decent players is just ez mode wins lol Edited by Obvious Lesbian
  • Like 5

Is LO intending to reban players who were unbanned although they were actually cheating, if evidence is available?

Edited by professionalgamer
  • Like 1

I feel like such a small seeming issue got blown out of proportion due to very opinionated members of the community. If a member of LO wants to stream and play with players, they should be allowed to, just so long as they keep the mind set to separate work from their own time. I honestly think this whole thing was a farce and I feel like specific comments were made more prominent than others, I also believe most of the community either don't care enough to let this bother them or think what happened wasn't problematic.

But, that's just my opinion.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, professionalgamer said:

Is LO intending to reban players who were unbanned although they were actually cheating, if evidence is available?

Of course

Edit: If a player cheats after they were unbanned, then we will ban them. We are not going to engage in witchinting and reversing unbans.
  • Thanks 8

I've got the train already departed from the station, but i got to say: i have mixed feelings about the whole situation:

1) While i truly get the point about Lixil playing with an EX-CHEATER, someone who has stated that cheated in the past, that individual has already been amnestied.
We have a new anticheat measure in place, and if that player tried to play with some kind of 3rd party advantage while alongside Lixil, he would certainly get banned.

2) BUT, i also get the point the community stated here, this fact about playing with an EX-CHEATER. While i stated that in my point of view it has no problem at all, Lixil should avoid it.
Remember the GM applications? The fact that an applying player should have never been banned once to be eligible? So, why this filter is so strong in one case, and not for the other?
I get that Streaming and Choosing a GM are different situations, but as an staff member, both should have the same weight.

Lixil isn't God, she doesn't know everything in this world, specially who has cheated or not in the past: How to solve this problem?
Answer: If i'm not mistaken, it has been said by iDisney. Lixil should avoid playing with random players out of nowhere. Staff should only play with players who have won some kind of event, where one of the rewards would be being added to a party with the Staff members. That would avoid part of the drama, but it isn't 100% sure because APB community strongly tends to overreact and create cancerous whiny posts, free toxicity, etc...

I highly recommend that Lixil should never stop streaming her gameplays like Tiggs did, that was a big mistake letting the community get thru her nerves.
But she now knows that APB community has some shady shit attitude flowing from some users who try to "problematize" any situation, turning something into a chaos, so she needs to raise some "malice" over it.
Do solo gameplays, be kind to players, harsh to the ones who deserve it, do events and stuff and that's it. Any further interaction = chances of getting toxicity from "malicious" players who want to link you to Tiggs as a CM, and ruin your life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The stream was a great idea, it just needs a few tweaks like maybe solo queuing,  new account.

Edited by RovingFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Poperon said:

Remember the GM applications? The fact that an applying player should have never been banned once to be eligible? 

nitpicking

iirc they were not immediately disqualifying applications due to prior bans

1 minute ago, Excalibur! said:

What happened with the claim that there was people banned for asking Lixil why she played with "cheaters"??? I didn't understand that part...
kojFOtm.png

She banned them from her chat I believe, not in game.