IAmDisappointSon

ReCreating APB Vehicle Audio

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but this is APB related so I should be able to post it here?

As the title suggests, this thread will be recreations of vehicle audio from APB. I use a tool called "RavioliGameTools" to find and extract each individual component for a car's audio, then I use FMOD studio to piece them together in a way that sounds as close to the real thing as possible. From there I can create a sound bank and apply the audio to the example car in Unreal Engine 4

My first post on this thread will be the audio for the Dolton Broadwing.

I'm also currently working on the audio for the Charge Cisco, but I'm having trouble finding certain components for it.

Something interesting I noticed while listening to the vehicle audio, a lot of cars in this game use the same audio files, just pitched differently. For example the Jericho, Cisco, T25, and Montane all use the same base component for audio(except each have different secondary components). The Jericho obviously being the lowest pitch of them all, followed by the pickup trucks and then the Cisco. I noticed this when lowering the pitch of  the audio in a video with a T25. It sounded just like a Jericho.

Another thing I want to point out. Currently when looking through audio files each file is numbered. The corresponding name isn't something like "jericho" or "mikro", but instead they named it off the actual vehicle they used to record the audio, and since they use the same sample for multiple cars it makes it very difficult to determine which one belongs to which. So a lot of listening is required to pick out the right files. Just today I found out that the Broadwing uses the same audio as those Balkan or Machina cars, just with different pitch. At the same time I noticed that those files were labelled "taxi" which made it easier to find. The other components won't be so easy.

Blah blah blah too many words. I'll upload more as I complete them
  Edited by IAmDisappointSon
  • Like 2

Here's an old one. A while back I recreated the sound for the Jericho. This one isn't perfect since I don't have the right idle sound and there's a missing component for the engine, but it's mostly accurate.

I also found an old video of a recreated Nulander Pioneer audio. I'm uploading the video to youtube and I will edit this to include that video once it's done

The project I used to make the Jericho and Pioneer are corrupted so I can't use them anymore, but the Broadwing and Cisco are still fine. My next upload will either be the Cisco or one of those Balkan/Machina cars Edited by IAmDisappointSon
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, BrandonBranderson said:

Oh hey that was you?  I remember you posting the 2nd video on the Nekrova forum a while back.  Nice work!

Thanks!
Also I've just finished up the next video. This one is of the audio for those Balkan cars or Machina cars. It's going to sound different than it does ingame. That's because somewhere in 2012 and 2013 G1 broke the audio for all the cars, some of which changed drastically like this one. I've made this as close to the original sound as possible, and I will include a video of old APB gameplay as comparison.

Original sound in the old version

Recreation using fmod and Unreal engine 4
  • Like 1

Nice!  It's hard to believe just how much G1 broke.  I mean it's not 100% their fault that the game is spaghetti, and every change changes something unintended without fail, but still.  It's crazy to think of all the things in the game that just don't work correctly anymore.  All vehicles just seem quieter in the current game than in RTW, and there's certain cars that just sounded better back then.  The Vegas is a good example of that.  It used to sound throaty and powerful, then they slowed down the sound around the time the 4x4 was implemented and made it sound like it's always about stall.  If I remember right, the Kurai used to sound a lot more powerful too.

Edited by BrandonBranderson