UnoriginalPerson

This game isn't going to be revived unless they manage to actually bring in new players and keep them

At this current situation, the game's too saturated with all the veterans who don't even realize that they're still part of the problem on top of everything. The same thing happened to chivlary, a game which I also fucking loved but was ruined for me by the playerbase, and look at how many people play it now. How this game can draw in new players is going to be a trial and a half of planning out with keeping them in being even more far-fetched.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Well it doesn't take much to guess that this is another "max rank/max threat vs. noobs" thread.

All I can tell you is that revisions to the matchmaking and threat system are in the pipeline.

• Like 1

LO really needs to tackle all of the tiny problems that add up into an unpleasant experience first and foremost. No new maps, no new weapons or game modes. No content. Not until all the base-game stuff is fixed and polished. If your foundation has a thousand cracks in it you don't start adding on to your house.

A lot of us hoped RP would do this game justice but after a few years all the dedicated people reporting actual bugs, actual balance issues and actual good ideas just stopped because it was like talking to a wall. LO seems different and I'm holding out hope. I can't wait to see some core changes so I can 100% believe in LO and invest some time into the creative side of APB again.

Edited by Triksterism
Clarification: RP not G1
  • Like 2

APB never had a problem bringing in new players. We see them all the time. It could just never hold onto them due to a lack of tutorial and balance.

And it's not the Removed Inappropriate Language ~@mayii 'veterans' that are the main issue, it's the casual max rank silvers who want easy opposition and so dethreat to stomp said newbies.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

this game is never going to be revived unless they manage to bring in new servers and keep them up 

oh hey how convenient!

i agree with ya. but it's unfortunate because it's two aspects you have to worry about.

if you start advertising and inject more players into the game, they might not be able to handle the higher population and would leave a bad impression. the game also has a lot of areas it needs improvement and it's something you don't want to showcase to the public until it's more polished. (for example, G1 and the wasted steam launch)

if you don't advertise, you only have the current population to try and gain money from. and if a large majority of players are holding their breath and their wallets from LO, it's going to prove difficult to try and improve...unless they have financial backers. but nothing of that sort has been mentioned. even the sale price of G1 to LO has been kept secret. who knows.

Ok.

freemium = just  PVP as now.
buy2play (20 euros) = PVE system addon. Custom city, opponent and Quest interactive. (run local = 60 fps for every pc in the world) 
pay2play (15/month) = PVE with Coop system mission ,different pubblic district, different mission,different bonus

....and we will have APB as Top Online Game 2019+2020+eternity.

• Like 1

Where do the "Removed Inappropriate Language ~@mayii" Max silver rank vets that lose to 2 low level bronzes and 2 low level silvers fit in???? Shall we go to Silver and play,only to not be able to score a kill/assist or get close to a objective to gain points towards scoring??? 0 points = 0$$$/0 rep. No No No. Auto kick for gold's in bronze districts OR why not a server wide vote to kick option so the server can decide?
Removed Inappropriate Language ~@mayii I am not. I don't make new players quit.

• Like 2

They should not bring new players if they can't fix the game. Lag is insane and it performs poor on our modern PC's
So if they can fix that then they can bring modern players that will/might stay with the game

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kiida said:
Do the new forums even censor at all? I've been able to swear freely since the update.
you can say fuck but not patootie

shit but not fuzzy bunny

damn but not silly person

idiot but not smart

2 minutes ago, Keshi said:

They should not bring new players if they can't fix the game. Lag is insane and it performs poor on our modern PC's
So if they can fix that then they can bring modern players that will/might stay with the game

Citadel doesn't really lag that much unless there's a DDoS attack. I've no idea why NA has consistently had it so bad since 2013.
Engine upgrade will fix most performance issues though. Hopefully not too long now.
  • Like 1

Imagine all the new players who get put into an empty district and play unopped missions until they decide the game is boring 😶

Na is home for northamerican and southamerican players, so obviously the experience is more varied in jericho

29 minutes ago, Kiida said:
Citadel doesn't really lag that much unless there's a DDoS attack. I've no idea why NA has consistently had it so bad since 2013.
Engine upgrade will fix most performance issues though. Hopefully not too long now.
According to roadmap and some speculations they should start on continuing UE3.5 late july 🤔

Tutorial needs to be enforced, also this game feels way too simple and leveling up/customization really sucks without premium. Game gives you nothing new until level 200, unless you pay

Edited by Lato

I would like to see more events to keep us interested in the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

APB was never a big game to begin with, and even if LO pulls off a miracle it still won't reach that small peak at the start we had.

and i hope it stays like that, whatever goes mainstream tends to get ruined forever, i like our little community here <3

1 hour ago, UnoriginalPerson said:

At this current situation, the game's too saturated with all the cunty veterans who don't even realize that they're still part of the problem on top of everything. The same thing happened to chivlary, a game which I also fucking loved but was ruined for me by the playerbase, and look at how many people play it now. How this game can draw in new players is going to be a trial and a half of planning out with keeping them in being even more far-fetched.

I played Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, from start to, well the point where everyone turned into a helicopter beyond what I personally deemed fun. I played it competitively, in the Clan v Clan scene, seen as the ESL side of it died as right after it's start really, and have helped develop and mastered many broken mechanics in that game. For an instance, the infamous 'backstrike' I surely didn't invent but I have helped making it popular at the least. I can say for sure, that it wasn't the playerbase that killed it, atleast that was not the direct cause of it but to some extent you are right, toxicity in that game rose as the mechanics were abused further and further by the week. The root problem was the developing team itself in Chivalry's case. Within the first 2 months, broken mechanics like backstriking and all kinds of accelerations and deaccelerations were discovered by the playerbase and the seriousness of that growing issue was explained in many forms and rants to the developing team.

But they didn't care, atleast, for the first half year, they didn't try anything to kill the abuse of accelerations and deaccelerations and often answered rants about it with answers like: Make sure you look into the strike when you try to block it. The issue there was that they barely ever played the game themselves at that point, the team was quite small and quite busy after all. Then once their forums were flooded with the rants, and in-game you would see so much whining about it that one couldnt ignore it anymore, they tried to fix it. But oh boy... they fucked up there. 
They added a new mechanic which allowed you to perform a faster strike after you succesfully parried your opponents strike, in an attempt to give the players a proper punishment for the attempt to accelerate and or deaccelerate strikes. Well of course, that only added to the problem because the veterans, me alike, found a way to use those (riposte's they were called) strikes even more abusively, further breaking the game. 
The game got turned into a crazy beyblading, helicopter style hack and slash game, where the learning curve got so damn steep, new players would nearly always get too frustrated with the game to keep playing it.
Their fix to the dying playerbase: Give new players Level locked servers, up to level 15 (Which you could get to in a breeze really, 2 hours tops if youre half decent even if youre new). Where they could learn the game on their own pace. But of course, since it would just be newbies on a match, and occasionaly some nasty player that started a smurf account just to mess with the new players, they would end up learning close to nothing before being thrown out of those servers and right into the lions den.

Anyways, my whole rant is to explain how Chivalry got as toxic as it got to be, the cause for all that toxicity was the mechanics, not the playerbase itself. Inbalanced meta's, profitable abuse of mechanics in pvp, these types of problems turn a playerbase toxic overtime, I've seen it happen to plenty of games. Naturally this all mostly applies to the PVP scene.

My name on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare was "Ser Sigmund schining ein Ringeck" later abbreviated to "Ser Sigmund Ringeck" and lastly just "Sigmund". If you played on EU servers you mightve seen me tryharding, or failing at that, plenty.

APB has the same issue, though not as severely. There's a dictative meta, especially in terms of counterpicking and rules of engagement/approach, and this is not at all intuitive to a new player and he or she has no place to turn to for help without the risk of being trolled or harassed. 
@OP, I didn't mean to bash on your comparison of APB to Chivalry or anything, but I did feel like it needed some further explanation to become more understandable. Edited by Slickmund

4 hours ago, Kiida said:

APB never had a problem bringing in new players. We see them all the time. It could just never hold onto them due to a lack of tutorial and balance.

And it's not the cunty 'veterans' that are the main issue, it's the casual max rank silvers who want easy opposition and so dethreat to stomp said newbies.

And cry because golds beat their asses.

4 hours ago, UnoriginalPerson said:

At this current situation, the game's too saturated with all the cunty veterans who don't even realize that they're still part of the problem on top of everything. The same thing happened to chivlary, a game which I also fucking loved but was ruined for me by the playerbase, and look at how many people play it now. How this game can draw in new players is going to be a trial and a half of planning out with keeping them in being even more far-fetched.

The original RTW matchmaking and threat systems was very noob friendly.  It allowed all sorts of ranks/skill-levels to play together.  It did not have such a rapid shift in threat based on a shorter period of playing and so was a more stable indicator of actual threat... and it gave the veterans the notoriety and respect they craved... along with giving the noobs a fighting chance by way of vastly greater numbers of them matched against the higher threat lvl players.  It also had the mentoring system, where veternas would actually spend a little time teaching the noobs tricks and tactics.

What G1 did to the game is unforgivable.  The humor, the noob-friendly helpers, and the more forgiving threat system were all ditched in favor of the overly intense, winner take all, destroy all noobs mentality of Threat Segregation which created the fake golds who play in bronze and dethreat to do it.  The whole game changed, and we've not seen anything but hate, toxicity and noob whoopass ever since.

Naturally no new player would come back to such a game. And the population declined in consequence.  All LO has to do is revive the old, original, noob friendlier system. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've been saying since the day of the patch, and it's been years now.  if you want to save APB: REROLL THREAT SEGREGATION!

• Thanks 1

in the presence of the best textbook , clan and private groups tear in shreds beginners

17 minutes ago, YooD said:
 in the presence of the best textbook , clan and private groups tear in shreds beginners
I wonder why you dont mention dethreaters... lol jk I know exactly why you dont. ;-)

1 hour ago, Rebelliousness said:
The original RTW matchmaking and threat systems was very noob friendly.  It allowed all sorts of ranks/skill-levels to play together.  It did not have such a rapid shift in threat based on a shorter period of playing and so was a more stable indicator of actual threat... and it gave the veterans the notoriety and respect they craved... along with giving the noobs a fighting chance by way of vastly greater numbers of them matched against the higher threat lvl players.  It also had the mentoring system, where veternas would actually spend a little time teaching the noobs tricks and tactics.

What G1 did to the game is unforgivable.  The humor, the noob-friendly helpers, and the more forgiving threat system were all ditched in favor of the overly intense, winner take all, destroy all noobs mentality of Threat Segregation which created the fake golds who play in bronze and dethreat to do it.  The whole game changed, and we've not seen anything but hate, toxicity and noob whoopass ever since.

Naturally no new player would come back to such a game. And the population declined in consequence.  All LO has to do is revive the old, original, noob friendlier system. 
the original rtw matchmaking was based solely on the last 50 mission W:L ratio, i cant think of a threat system that would enable dethreaters better than that tbh

id also argue that leaderboards from rtw and the coveted G10 threat level from g1 (while neither one was a bad thing imo), lead to far more "win at all costs" gameplay than the simple 3 tier visual system we have now