Mitne

Perfect setup dedicated to APB (PC Building)

I'm in stage of making plans for PC build. I have some high-end "handle them all" builds ready.
I also tested on some friends high-end PCs APB. Results in some cases are suprising. One of builds struggled to play APB (while not low FPS was very unstable)... meanwhile it run new AAA games in ultra at 100 fps. So that rised my question...
What is perfect build for APB? I look for some good PC build when it comes to quality and price because i'm not millionare and some of this high-end PC builds would probably drive me into debt. 
I talk components in such form:
GPU - ?
CPU - ?
Ram - ?
OS - ? (Heard stability of game is lower on Win 10)
Motherboard - ?
Cooling system - ?
Power supply - ?
Additional components - ?
Cost - (Just informative and additional)

I'm sadly in urgent need of hardware change because with current trend APB gonna be unplayable for me in year.
Also no technical bullshoot. I just know how to check if 1 is 1 or 0 is 0 in binary and how to put PC together (after all it's like Lego, you just put together part and just do cable work and viola... eventually you check if voltage is where it should and it should run - if not troubleshot, who knows faulty new hardware happens)

25 minutes ago, Mitne said:

I'm in stage of making plans for PC build. I have some high-end "handle them all" builds ready.

GPU - ?
CPU - ?
Ram - ?

Also no technical bullshoot. I just know how to check if 1 is 1 or 0 is 0 in binary and how to put PC together (after all it's like Lego, you just put together part and just do cable work and viola... eventually you check if voltage is where it should and it should run - if not troubleshot, who knows faulty new hardware happens)

I use a GTX1050 here and I also have a seperate GPU to stream on with NVEnc (nVidia hardware H264/265 encoder) Over here it works fine (when I use a tweak (garbage collection) I learned from a seasone APB'er in a settings file to prevent stuttering)
Config relevance to you
CPU (the last AMD Ryzen 7 2700 series are good)
if you want Intel CPU prepare to pay top bucks
GPU GTX1050 (it would also run on the Ti750)
Ram I have 16GB here
SSD I have one here for tests the game is not on it
PSU any 500+Watts is good, a *real* 500W (500W RMS) not a cheap one which peaks at 500W

I run on Win7, if you want newer go 8.1

Avoid win10 due to privacy concerns (that's why it was free)

APB needs tweaking to run on current hardware, my video had problems displaying my blue cars until I put gfx on max

Note: putting together a machine only seems like lego if you dont want to know what is going on. It's complex work, made to look simple.

I solder since 9 years old and have extensive hardware knowledge on regular electronics (repair and tweaks) computers (I can de/solder IC's from boards when needed) know how to handle fragile FET's and MOSFets so take it from me when I say its not lego. Edited by Gamma64c
  • Thanks 1

Be prepared to dive deep in your wallet for these high end parts.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz) or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ (3.0GHz)
ram: 3 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 with 256 MB and support for Pixel Shader 3.0, or AMD equivalent
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 7 GB

Edited by gogeo

Just now, Gamma64c said:
APB needs tweaking to run on current hardware, my video had problems displaying my blue cars until I put gfx on max
That I agree on but since I don't see it coming in my lifetime... Well... player needs to improvise as much as they can.

Btw. I put that build through some virtual tests on some major sites although real world =/= virtual so who knows.

1 minute ago, Gamma64c said:
if you want Intel CPU prepare to pay top bucks
I'm okey with that. People may still talk trash about Intel but AMD ain't good and never really was.

i dont get why people trash talk intel, their CPUs are superior.

3 minutes ago, Obvious Lesbian said:

i dont get why people trash talk intel, their CPUs are superior.

Cause of that Intel spectre meltdown controversy.
6 minutes ago, gogeo said:

Be prepared to dive deep in your wallet for these high end parts.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz) or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ (3.0GHz)
ram: 3 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 with 256 MB and support for Pixel Shader 3.0, or AMD equivalent
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 7 GB

Nice setup. But i wasn't talking about APB from 1987. 😛
Also last time when I checked our current APB needed about 10 GB of free space.
Edited by Mitne

15 minutes ago, Mitne said:
People may still talk trash about Intel but AMD ain't good and never really was.

You won't get proper feedback if you start bashing hardware with no obvious motivation. Your thread has a chance of derailing.

No one said intel is not good.
It's just significantly more expensive. With the current line AMD is up to par with the intel line that is out. You get marginal gains as a normal user with Intel on the current consumer line. Only the top level CPU's of Intel (which are not in the consumer line) give superb performance.
Also remember that security wise Intel is working hard on the side channel problems the current line has (someone can break into systems much easier using those vunerebilities)

In the end your pocket in combo with your preference will decide. You said economics are watched, which is why I recommended a CPU like Ryzen 7 2700X  https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Wraith-Cooler/dp/B07B428M7F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531301824&sr=8-4&keywords=ryzen+7+2700

This Ryzen will also work well
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B41717Z/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8
  Edited by Gamma64c
  • Thanks 1

From what i tested current Apb state works best with 3-4th generation i5/7 and kepler 6th Nvidia series GPUs mostly gtx 660ti it worked absolutely awesome for Apb... If i would be buying setup for apb better wait for u.e 3.5 upgrade then it will be a different story ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gamma64c said:
No one said intel is not good.
It's just significantly more expensive. With the current line AMD is up to par with the intel line that is out. You get marginal gains as a normal user with Intel on the current consumer line. Only the top level CPU's of Intel (which are not in the consumer line) give superb performance.

I know. I just said from personal experince i prefer Intel as mainly I got positive experinces with it.
8 minutes ago, Eixo said:

From what i tested current Apb state works best with 3-4th generation i5/7 and kepler 6th Nvidia series GPUs mostly gtx 660ti it worked absolutely awesome for Apb... If i would be buying setup for apb better wait for u.e 3.5 upgrade then it will be a different story 😉

Defintely. I wait for U.E 3.5 but still if that not gonna happen... I need to be prepared.
8 minutes ago, Tobii said:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/ $1000 and above should be fine for APB.
Hm. Interesting. Although this are typical "handle-them-all" setups. Might have problem with APB while not having problem with others game. We both know APB is pretty unstable. 

3 minutes ago, Mitne said:
I know. I just said from personal experince i prefer Intel as mainly I got positive experinces with it. Defintely. I wait for U.E 3.5 but still if that not gonna happen... I need to be prepared. Hm. Interesting. Although this are typical "handle-them-all" setups. Might have problem with APB while not having problem with others game. We both know APB is pretty unstable. 
There is no "perfect" build for APB.
Everyone seem to have different experience with almost the same hardware.

E.g. a guy is claiming to hit 20 fps with a 8700k whereas I am hitting 120 fps.
It's ALL OVER THE PLACE.. So you're better off just getting something that would run other games and MOST LIKELY also APB.
Building a PC around APB is not really a good idea or a solid investment for that matter. Edited by Tobii

Both the AMD 2700X and Intel 8700K will offer stable 120fps even at high resolutions in APB, when set up properly that is.

As far as Intel vs. AMD, AMD does have some impressive stock performance with the 2700X, but you really need fast (and therefore very expensive) RAM to get the most out of it. Intel chips aren't so picky with RAM. 

One issue I do have with Intel is that they only support one generation of CPUs per motherboard chipset. If I could just plop a 8700k onto my Z97 board I would do it immediately, but to upgrade my CPU I need to change motherboard, RAMS, etc. which is not exactly consumer friendly. Also Intel use some low quality thermal paste between the CPU and heat spreader, which makes temperatures worse than AMD parts with similar power consumption.  Of course Intel its higher frequencies and as said above isn't as dependant on RAM speed, so both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I've put together a parts list (it's German prices, probably more expensive elsewhere in Europe) for around 1000€ which should be good for multiplayer gaming, including APB of course. I've chosen a Radeon 580 GPU for it but a GTX 1060 is a viable option if you don't care about FreeSync. Most modern gaming monitors out there support FreeSync so if you have one of those I'd say it's worth it to get the Radeon.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/K46Wr6

• Like 2

Just get a i7 Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake CPU and you're fine for the next few years, since games still seem to prefer Intel+Nvidia over AMD products.
Or you could play the gambling card and wait for Zen 2 (or build a 'temp' AM4 build) on 7nm (huge jump compared to the current 14/12nm architechture design, resulting in a possible huge performance increase) in 2019.
For the OS, use whatever you prefer. Do you like the old-school classic theme (dwm disabled) and very minimal design of Windows 7? Go for it. 
Do you not mind updates getting forced down your throat and prefer a more modern UI and 'maybe better performance' of Windows 10? Go for it.
As mentioned previously, this game is just broken performance wise and has been for years now. It's not worth making a "APB only" PC. People get 180fps capped in a game like Dirty Bomb which runs on the same engine, so yeah. If you plan on strictly gaming, consider strong singlethread performant CPU's (check passmark's list). RAM Speed and timings also matter for FPS in a game like APB.
Oh, and as far as I know, APB literally doesn't even have a visual difference between 1024x768 (the res the UI is made on) vs 1080p. Mostly controlled by .ini edits. Could be wrong I've been rocking a CRT for quite a while now.
Oh, and don't blindly read through "performance tweaks" threads for OS and drivers, mostly placebo.
EDIT: One amazing thing a fellow old forum member called dreamss recommended is using G-Sync/Freesync in a game like APB, where FPS is just inconsistent. Definitely consider it!

Edited by 悲しい春
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 悲しい春 said:

G-Sync/Freesync

I would not recommend doing so, since it can cause input lag.
unless you don't mind that.

11 minutes ago, Tobii said:
Ugh. Input lag makes some of ultra precise weapons (like sniper rifles) pretty problematic in use.
Nah. I prefer setup with no input lag, thank ya 😛
1 hour ago, Tobii said:
Building a PC around APB is not really a good idea or a solid investment for that matter.
It never was. But I guess taking how my current PC can handle most games but not APB - any PC build handling APB will be powerhouse against other software.

Thanks for other PC builds, for some strange reason I doesn't allow me to quote more.
About Intel cheap thermal paste - well there are custom thermal paste on internet everywhere although they cost too.
About OS, we will see - but for sake of support itself I most likely will pick Windows 10 cause it's only logical move to move to the newest OS.

When the game came out like 8 years ago, anything high performance of todays standards didn't even exist yet and would on paper have been seen as extreme overkill, yet with APB you can't guarantee exactly what you'll get out of it because it's not optimized for what we have today. That's why it's not worth building around. I say just get whatever the best is you can get for your buck.

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilverCrow said:

When the game came out like 8 years ago, anything high performance of todays standards didn't even exist yet and would on paper have been seen as extreme overkill, yet with APB you can't guarantee exactly what you'll get out of it because it's not optimized for what we have today. That's why it's not worth building around. I say just get whatever the best is you can get for your buck.

All this patches throw APB off-course of stability. I mean adding stuff partially on one and then on other engine, putting them working in one game can throw off even most powerful PCs.

2 minutes ago, Mitne said:
9 minutes ago, SilverCrow said:

All this patches throw APB off-course of stability. I mean adding stuff partially on one and then on other engine, putting them working in one game can throw off even most powerful PCs.
 Yes exactly, so I'd just abandon the APB build idea and get something I know would work great for me in general.

55 minutes ago, Tobii said:
link
By avg. 10ms. Is it noticable? Yes. How difficult is it to notice? Pretty difficult. 
There's a test on this website where you can test how much input lag you can perceive, people barely get below 15ms right.

1 minute ago, 悲しい春 said:
link
By avg. 10ms. Is it noticable? Yes. How difficult is it to notice? Pretty difficult. 
There's a test on this website where you can test how much input lag you can perceive, people barely get below 15ms right.

I know, I've read the article. 🙂
For me 10 ms is a lot.. even tho it might just be placebo.

My build

CPU: i7 7700k
ram: 16 GB 2133mhz
Video Card: EVGA SC 1080 GTX
Motherboard - MSI Z270 Plus
Cooling system - Corsair H100i
Power supply - evga b2 750w
Additional components - 7.1 wireless corsair void headset, m.2 512gb crucial ssd. 3tb storage, Thermaltake overseer case
Cost - should be $1700 on amazon but i'm not from the u.s. so it cost me around $2400 when i build it

And i still play on minimum because i own a 144hz monitor and fps drops allot in a full district specially in waterfront

1 hour ago, Mitne said:
any PC build handling APB will be powerhouse against other software.

this is kind of risky since you could pretty easily end up with a pc that runs apb and nothing else lol

1 minute ago, Excalibur! said:

Amd is better.