Sign in to follow this  
Thial

Is vsync no input lag trick allowed ?

Hello. A long time ago I was experimenting with trying to make APB run as smooth as possible because I'm using a 60Hz monitor. I found out that enabling Vsync makes the image ever so slightly smoother but unfortunately introduces very annoying input lag. After digging deeper into it I found out that limiting the game to 58fps actually removes the Vsync input lag completely and still leaves the benefit of Vsync. To do it you need to go to your APB Directory / Engine / Config and edit BaseEngine.ini. There you need to fina a line "MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62" and edit the value from 62 to 58. Now you need to run APB through APB executable because the launcher keeps updating this file. Now in game all you need to do is enable Vsync and Smooth FrameRate for the limiter to kick in. Now here is my question (Hopefully someone from LO can answer). Will slight tweaks like this, which are not possible in the game, be allowed ?

Edited by Thial
  • Thanks 1

same question about auto-run toggle you can set in the cfg but not in the game i think 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ldy_Natalia said:

same question about auto-run toggle you can set in the cfg but not in the game i think 

The auto-run 'feature' should be in the ingame menu by imho.

• Like 2

I don't like Vsync (in any damn game) 

Slowing me down

10 minutes ago, Fumiku said:

I don't like Vsync (in any damn game) 

Slowing me down

isn't it more responsive than freesync and gsync tho?

1 minute ago, Bellenettiel said:

isn't it more responsive than freesync and gsync tho?

For some ofc. but when i activate it in some games it feels like 60 fps etc. 

It's allowed, and if you don't want to mess with it anyways just download MSI AfterBurner and enable FPS limiter? Since that is allowed. /shrug

• Like 1

Or just save up and buy a 144hz monitor, it's a lot more worth it.

2 hours ago, Tobii said:

It's allowed, and if you don't want to mess with it anyways just download MSI AfterBurner and enable FPS limiter? Since that is allowed. /shrug

Quite the contrary, the old ToS forbade ANY change in the game files. G1 did not go after everything and created an exception for APB-Launcher - but if you want to be on the safe side, which is advisable atm, you just keep your fingers out of those files.

Edited by Sniperturtle

You can use an external Framerate limiter to get 58 FPS instead of 62 from the config.

6 hours ago, Spy said:

The auto-run 'feature' should be in the ingame menu by imho.

I really hope they add it one day 

3 hours ago, Sniperturtle said:

Quite the contrary, the old ToS forbade ANY change in the game files. G1 did not go after everything and created an exception for APB-Launcher - but if you want to be on the safe side, which is advisable atm, you just keep your fingers out of those files.

By that logic it would mean Advanced launcher shouldn't be allowed, but it was.

And I am sure USPStyle could add framerate limit to his UI.

Would that mean it's allowed then since we're now making the change using the AL?

The file AL makes changes to is the same file the MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 line is in.

I maybe half cut, but I think what matt meant to say, is that those things may not be bannable yet, but they "might" be when battle-eye drops.

Just so you know, almost no online games ban for editing the config files. I think what matt said was clear, you can, but you might get banned when ff / battle-eye boot up, also what he said about adding it to the game, and dare I say optimized.

Edit:.... was true

Edited by Puffdragon

25 minutes ago, Tobii said:

By that logic it would mean Advanced launcher shouldn't be allowed, but it was.

And I am sure USPStyle could add framerate limit to his UI.

Would that mean it's allowed then since we're now making the change using the AL?

The file AL makes changes to is the same file the MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62 line is in.

8. Will GamersFirst approve the use of shader configs or the Advanced Launcher?

No. This is a super slippery slope.

Once we allow players to modify parts of the game, then how do we detect cheater-based changes from these more innocuous changes? That makes our investment into Battleye useless.

However, I do believe GamersFirst needs to solve the problems that these things address. We need to allow players to change the color of the crosshairs in-game for colorblind people. We need to add a lower graphics processor setting to help people with less powerful machines.

Quote taken from https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2018/05/two-week-update-q-notes-from-my-stream.html

V-Sync makes the game aimmovment kinda disgusting and so watery.

1 minute ago, Lislya said:

I've never had this problem.

Just now, -Rachel- said:

I've never had this problem.

For ppls with a 60Hz/Non Free-Sync or G-Sync Monitor 😛

1 minute ago, Lislya said:

Some people like it. Same with Gsync.

I can't stand playing with Gsync on yet @NotZombieBiscuit use it and don't want to play without.

Unfortunately when you try 120hz or more you'll be spoiled forever. 😞

Just now, Lislya said:

For ppls with a 60Hz/Non Free-Sync or G-Sync Monitor 😛

I don't know what you mean.

7 minutes ago, Tobii said:

Some people like it. Same with Gsync.

I can't stand playing with Gsync on yet @NotZombieBiscuit use it and don't want to play without.

Unfortunately when you try 120hz or more you'll be spoiled forever. 😞

Cause for some reason my game stutters without it. Whether I am at 100 fps or 60 fps.

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Cause for some reason my game stutters without it. Whether I am at 100 fps or 60 fps.

You're the one stuttering, just getting old!

The only thing which affected input lag in APB are the OneThreadFrameLag and the mouse fix.

What you experienced is probably less tearing, thus perceiving it as smoother. You could try FastSync or the AMD alternative of it in the drivers (cant remember the name of the amd equivalent), or just cap the game at a framerate you enjoy with rivatuner statistics (part of msi afterburner as mentioned in this thread already)

Sign in to follow this