MattScott

Upcoming Weapon Balance changes

Yukon is fine.

Just make the Fang available in game and bam, fixed.

51 minutes ago, Rolpack said:

Not just premium can access it now, lo changed it so everyone can.

Oh okay, i dont know that this was changed... :classic_blink:

Thx for the info.

16 hours ago, MattScott said:

Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate

What does "perfectly accurate" equate to here?
Full damage only when at maximum accuracy (tightest crosshair)? And how would the damage scale? Dynamic scaling or in two steps?

Edited by SilverCrow

17 hours ago, MattScott said:

1) Linking accuracy to damage on the HVR 762

Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate allows us to reduce the ability to fire it at close range / snap shot and still be effective.

Linking accuracy to damage on the N-HVR 762 doesn't make any sense, and doesn't do much for balancing it other than making the weapon handling more confusing. There's no other weapon that works like this in the game, and it doesn't make any sense logically, so it's an extremely unintuitive mechanic which can only be understood if you've been told about it. This change would just add a minor delay to quickswitching, at the cost of how intuitive its usage is.

It sets a bad precedence for how weapons are being balanced in the game, and is very concerning when coupled with the thought of balancing curves and unique mechanics for legendary weapons. Besides, it does nothing against the issues with the massive amount of damage the HVR is able to do nearly instantaneously, which puts player out of commission for up to ~15 seconds, or even worse, kill someone immediately when they spawn in line of sight of someone who's been barely tagged.

I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to lower the damage of the HVR.

EDIT:

DMR is another non-legendary weapon that's unintuitive with its reverse damage drop-off. I can be fine with weird mechanics being applied to legendary weapons, since they're meant to be special, but I think it's detrimental for the game to make normal weapons work mechanically different from their expectations.

Edited by Dopefish
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We're actually getting weapon changes that seem positive. Thank you.

Tying weapon damage to weapon accuracy will effectively kill off jump-shoot kills with the N-HVR, which is a good thing - its very annoying to be killed while trying to flank an HVR user solely because they got lucky with a jump-lean shot after having trimmed off some of your hp with a semi-auto sidearm.

Having said that though I don't really believe this will stop CQC quick-switchers from being so devastating. With HVR -> sidearm QSing having been nerfed long ago, anyone doing it nowadays goes sidearm -> crouch -> HVR which can still shut you down in an instant if they get to fire first. The only real way to fix that is to reduce the N-HVR damage, which forces the would-be quick-switch legend to do more work with the pistol before he switches (giving you more time to kill him if you flanked with a CQC primary).

47 minutes ago, Dopefish said:

I have to agree that the proposed solution seems obtuse, and LO may be falling into the same trap of G1 of not going for the most obvious nerf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea what these changes mean, but good job buddy

• Thanks 1

the idea with HVR is amazing 🙂

a bit upset there is nothing on Yukon... sorry but this secondary is bullshoot op...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like all the changes except for the N-HVR change. It doesn't make sense. When you hit, you expect a weapon to deal a specific amount of damage. It's bad enough that there's extreme damage dropoff on weapons that are accurate outside their minimum damage range.

It's a heavy sniper rifle. I feel it should have a better role as an anti-vehicle weapon. I would reduce the player damage to 640, and increase the vehicle damage so it has similar damage per second as the DMR-AV.

I would also look into increasing the minimum damage on various weapons, and widening the distance between min and max. For example, LMGs go from 100% damage down to 30% or so within a 10M distance.

57 minutes ago, greenfield said:

a bit upset there is nothing on Yukon... sorry but this secondary is bullshoot op...

it's not tho, you don't see good players using it, because it's very situational.

@MattScott i want you to try normal opgl and stun opgl , the stun radius in opgl is ridiculously wide. it needs nerf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dopefish said:

Linking accuracy to damage on the N-HVR 762 doesn't make any sense, and doesn't do much for balancing it other than making the weapon handling more confusing. There's no other weapon that works like this in the game, and it doesn't make any sense logically, so it's an extremely unintuitive mechanic which can only be understood if you've been told about it. This change would just add a minor delay to quickswitching, at the cost of how intuitive its usage is.

It sets a bad precedence for how weapons are being balanced in the game, and is very concerning when coupled with the thought of balancing curves and unique mechanics for legendary weapons. Besides, it does nothing against the issues with the massive amount of damage the HVR is able to do nearly instantaneously, which puts player out of commission for up to ~15 seconds, or even worse, kill someone immediately when they spawn in line of sight of someone who's been barely tagged.

EDIT:

DMR is another non-legendary weapon that's unintuitive with its reverse damage drop-off. I can be fine with weird mechanics being applied to legendary weapons, since they're meant to be special, but I think it's detrimental for the game to make normal weapons work mechanically different from their expectations.

I'm leaning towards this, damage from guns shouldn't need complicated explanations. But then again, I just rather wish that HVR wouldn't exist at the moment.

It's so hard to balance weapons when there's 100m limit to squeeze in shotguns, pistols, revolvers, assault rifles, smgs, designated marksman rifles, light machine guns and sniper/anti-material rifles (+ all the explosive crap on top). It's pretty much "asking for trouble" by design... Trying to fit everything in that 0-100m gap when there is no "loadout weight" feature or some other limitations on what you can equip with what etc... it's just a nightmare unless you get it just right by accident.

Edited by Chinook

"This gun does more damage as the crosshair gets smaller"

... doesnt sound that complicated tbh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Laser said:

Awesome!  ...but what about the Yukon nerf? The Yukon is absolutely overpowered.

+1

21 minutes ago, Excalibur! said:

Buffing shotguns or doing any change to them is ridiculous... they are fine already.

I agree with you

37 minutes ago, Excalibur! said:

Buffing shotguns or doing any change to them is ridiculous... they are fine already.

16 minutes ago, virginiavirgin said:

I agree with you

The changes are more about making shotguns more consistent, less about making them better.

To quote Matt Scott, "Currently we feel they (shotguns) are powerful but very inconsistent, and some of this is because how our servers perform at higher latency."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Cashpoint said:

I have to agree that the proposed solution seems obtuse, and LO may be falling into the same trap of G1 of not going for the most obvious nerf.

Because nerf's are bad, generally ruin guns and fundamentally affect the way the game has been played since it's creation. Balancing is one thing, nerfing is another.

2 hours ago, greenfield said:

^

Friendly reminder that the Yukon can only kill in one mag up to MAYBE 7m, making it far and away the most situational gun in the game. 

True Ogre and Yukon get nerfed next week! See you then! 😉

@MattScott For real they need to be on the list. 😛 But this is a great start.

24 minutes ago, Rebelliousness said:

Because nerf's are bad, generally ruin guns and fundamentally affect the way the game has been played since it's creation. Balancing is one thing, nerfing is another.

^

Nerfing is balancing so what you say makes no sense. Balancing is the nerfing and buffing of xy.

21 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Friendly reminder that the Yukon can only kill in one mag up to MAYBE 7m, making it far and away the most situational gun in the game. 

True, but reminder that the Yukon doesn't need a nerf, it just need to not be literally broken.

33 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

True, but reminder that the Yukon doesn't need a nerf, it just need to not be literally broken.

One man's "broken" is another man's "yeah, its fine like this, leave it". 😛