MattScott

Upcoming Weapon Balance changes

Hi everyone,

In the spirit of transparency, here are the changes we are implementing for weapon balance in the coming couple weeks. The development has all been done, we are just testing internally to make sure things work as intended.

To start we have two general changes to the Sniper and Shotgun categories:

1) Linking accuracy to damage on the HVR 762

Reducing the damage of the HVR 762 when it's not perfectly accurate allows us to reduce the ability to fire it at close range / snap shot and still be effective.

Sniper Rifles, particularly the HVRs, are particularly hard to balance because they are currently effective at point blank range and also devastating at a distance. G1 tried a few rough balance measures in the past with initial inaccuracy and movement cooldown, but it’s still quite possible to use the HVR in CQC. We feel this change will preserve the HVR 762's place in our matrix of weapons, but make it less desirable outside of actually sniping.

2) Shotgun Damage Pellet Damage

We're adjusting how shotguns do damage, to allow for more damage for partial hits (the first pellets to hit a single target do more damage than the last ones). This allows them to be more forgiving without buffing their overall damage.

Again, Shotguns are hard to balance. Currently we feel they are powerful but very inconsistent, and some of this is because how our servers perform at higher latency.

Now for the smaller tweaks to specific weapons:

1) AR-97 'Misery' (Apoc Famine)

Improve damage to give it some overkill, and improve the tap fire ability.

2) COBR-A

Remove the accuracy curve and improve accuracy recovery rates.

3) ISSR-a

Low recovery time for accuracy loss, so you can wait less time after taking a shot to fire again.

4) SWARM

Reduce horizontal recoil amount. We're also investigating increasing the time it takes to recoil to slightly higher than the recoil time, making the recoil smoother.

5) SBSR (Rifle)

We want to give this weapon a unique recoil pattern that's significantly less harsh than the sniper variant.

6) H-9 'Curse'

We want to give this weapon a new recoil pattern that has heavily reduced horizontal recoil.

7) S-247 'Oblivion'

Attempt to make the weapon a lot snappier when using it as a fire and reposition weapon. This would heavily improve snap fire by reducing the time it takes to gain accuracy after moving, and allowing you to switch during re-fire timer.

8) NCR

New crosshair (from existing asset). Removing the accuracy recovery curve that the HVR has.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited: added clarity on weapon names mentioned in comments.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 18

Awesome!  ...but what about the Yukon nerf? The Yukon is absolutely overpowered.

Edited by Laser
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 3

Finally...useless guns about to be usefull...what about the Misery?
EDIT: Apoc Famine is the misery.... 

Edited by Keshi
  • Like 5

Before I look at this harder, just so you know, the in-game name for the "famine" gun is the AR-97 'Misery' I believe, you might want to correct that.

• Like 2

... I will have to think about the first two

But the rest seem like very good ideas!

say goodbye you dirty quickswitchers

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

chiming in again to suggest reverting what the 2015 sprint-shoot patch did to semi-auto guns like the Scout and Obir, which did not need to be affected in the first place

thx 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

Before I look at this harder, just so you know, the in-game name for the "famine" gun is the AR-97 'Misery' I believe, you might want to correct that.

and i just asked...thanks for the clarification ❤️

Huh, it feels a little weird to make the AR-97 Misery tap fire better when the gun strong-point of the gun is pretty clearly burst-firing. . . Could you clarify what exactly you did to it, or do we just need to wait?

Also, the obvious question: Any idea when we'll be able to get our hands on these changes?

5 minutes ago, PogoTheClown said:

chiming in again to suggest reverting what the 2015 sprint-shoot patch did to semi-auto guns like the Scout and Obir, which did not need to be affected in the first place

thx 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this please

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Also, the obvious question: Any idea when we'll be able to get our hands on these changes?

^this

OTW gonna be fun!

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This damage change only applies to heavy HVR right?

Not the scout?

and what about other "sniper rifles"

No more hipfire 4 shot dog ear???

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by CookiePuss

Can you actually let us test these ourselves? Having community feedback on changes is important as well. You could implement Test Districts for general gameplay tests, like in the old days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oh cool, an interesting idea for the hvr but we’ll see how it actually turns out ingame i guess

i assume this is just the first phase of balancing  and there’s more to come later?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 悲しい春 said:

Can you actually let us test these ourselves? Having community feedback on changes is important as well. You could implement Test Districts for general gameplay tests, like in the old days!

I assume this will go live on OTW first.

Just now, CookiePuss said:

I assume this will go live on OTW first.

What I meant is implementing the changes on separate districts, like the old RTW TTK & High TTK districts.

Hi all,

2 minutes ago, 悲しい春 said:

We will be putting these changes on OTW  soon for players to test.

1 minute ago, Keinname said:

That is a good news but how about Battleye update?

This system is updated every time you boot APB. We also make small tweaks to our own internal systems every patch.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am so excited to see the new Anubis crosshair. Any chance of a sneak peek? : >

ALSO COBRA BUFF WOOOO

Edited by IROCkiller
STOP WITH THE EMOJI's DANGIT
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 悲しい春 said:

What I meant is implementing the changes on separate districts, like the old RTW TTK & High TTK districts.

I would personally far prefer this to OTW, as OTW isn't really ever going to have a good enough population to test organically well IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PogoTheClown said:

thx 

8 minutes ago, 悲しい春 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this please

^

@MattScott

Will the HVR nerf be a damage ramp depending on the crosshair distance or a flat reduction to whenever its not fully closed in?