Sign in to follow this  
Knell

Matchmaking/District Suggestion

Might as well put it to a vote?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be neat if Little Orbit tried this?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have an Alternative Idea? Post it below!

• I do.
    • Nope.
    • I prefer it as it is now.

Hey guys! I'm not really sure where the suggestion forum is because I'm stupid, but anywho...

To make it short and simple, I think skill level based segregation is only half of the issue with APBs matchmaking at most, and it'd be hardly necessary if we simply had one simple thing(In my opinion)

Solo/Casual Districts: These would be for solo players only, group functionality would be disabled and all teams would be shuffled based on threat level balancing or just totally random.

Group/Hardcore Districts: These would be group only, as in you can only even queue into these districts if you already have a group/party going. Getting dropped out of a group while in district would disable the ability to ready-up, and would match groups against each other by either A: Even Numbers, or B: Cumulative Threat Level.

I know it's not the most... eloquent suggestion, but sometimes short and simple does the trick... usually that's the biggest imbalance I see in mission districts, disorganized randoms fighting groups of people who are waaaaay more coordinated, resulting in solo players losing match after match after match until they give up.

Edited by Reyku

Split gold threat into 2 threats. The upper tier should be platinum.

If you have over ~50 hours in this game and a decent framerate getting gold should be easy enough. However playing at a gold 10 level requires months if not years of experience

23 minutes ago, Reyku said:

Hey guys! I'm not really sure where the suggestion forum is because I'm stupid, but anywho...

To make it short and simple, I think skill level based segregation is only half of the issue with APBs matchmaking at most, and it'd be hardly necessary if we simply had one simple thing(In my opinion)

Solo/Casual Districts: These would be for solo players only, group functionality would be disabled and all teams would be shuffled based on threat level balancing or just totally random.

Group/Hardcore Districts: These would be group only, as in you can only even queue into these districts if you already have a group/party going. Getting dropped out of a group while in district would disable the ability to ready-up, and would match groups against each other by either A: Even Numbers, or B: Cumulative Threat Level.

I know it's not the most... eloquent suggestion, but sometimes short and simple does the trick... usually that's the biggest imbalance I see in mission districts, disorganized randoms fighting groups of people who are waaaaay more coordinated, resulting in solo players losing match after match after match until they give up.

From what i understand "Cross district matchmaking" is what LO is intending to do or at least aiming for, thus utilising the pool of all online players per server rather than what we have now in 40v40 districts. however this requires something called phasing (the ability to move players seamlessly between districts without creating additional loading times/screens) which is not possible on the current engine.

in theory it sounds great but we need the engine upgrade to make it possible.

If this concept can be achieved i think it would solve most if not all of the issues regarding threat.

19 minutes ago, afk said:

I honestly don't think creating more threat levels will solve the problem. it would just further divide the playerbase and more than likely encourage more dethreating. pretty much just adding fuel to the already burning fire.

My 2 cent's: creating more districts and more threat levels is simply not a fix. it sounds good in theory but then so did open conflict which now remains unused.

1 minute ago, iTzHaze said:

it would just further divide the playerbase

I never said to create more districts, I just said more threats. Make threat mean something.

When you see a platinum player, you should go "oh shit"

2 minutes ago, afk said:

I never said to create more districts, I just said more threats. Make threat mean something.

When you see a platinum player, you should go "oh shit"

More districts was aimed at OP, more threats was aimed at you.

anyway i don't really see that thinking "oh shit" when seeing a platinum will help out alot to be honest.

full district queue system

1 minute ago, Keshi said:

full district queue system

Is that even on topic?

Just now, iTzHaze said:

Is that even on topic?

Title: MATCHMAKING/DISTRICT SUGGESTION
So even if OP has his whole story that everyone answered already, i am throwing something else that is also important

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keshi said:

Title: MATCHMAKING/DISTRICT SUGGESTION
So even if OP has his whole story that everyone answered already, i am throwing something else that is also important

As you wish.

Quote from Matt about the idea of a queue system:

On 6/23/2018 at 4:24 AM, MattScott said:

This is something in design, and I'm really excited about where we are headed.

However it is complicated. There are a number of things that need to occur in tandem, some of which aren't possible with Unreal 3.

So changes will go in after Unification is complete.

This also from Matt:

We should be matchmaking across all districts - not just the one you happen to make it onto. We are working to fix this but it will take some time, because we can't implement the solution I want till we get the new 3.5 engine upgrade out the door.

So while the idea of a Queue system may sound nice it's not gonna happen this side of the engine update.

that being said if "cross district matchmaking" does become a thing would a queue system even be needed or relevant? i don't think it would.

Edited by iTzHaze

9 hours ago, Reyku said:

https://forums.gamersfirst.com/forum/7-game-forum-suggestions/

9 hours ago, afk said:

Also why the fuck do everyone and their mother suggests to get more threat colors? Just make gold an actual hard as hell to achieve threat and make silver the majority of the average players, and bronze for people that are new and still learning the game itself.

Also delete green cause its ugly and useless k thx.

I had this idea floating around in my head for a while so I'm going to try to do my best to explain it.

Essentially the threat system is at a point where it is very easy to get gold which also means that being Gold doesn't exactly mean that you're even half decent at the game. A way to fix this would be to simply add another threat as suggested many times before, this is a great idea but it won't work out if it is simply a threat like Gold that you'll eventually hit. 

I think that Little Orbit should look back at Leaderboards and see if they can be added back into the game so they can have a Threat that works in a similar way as the "Challenger rank" in League of Legends works. This Rank is awarded to the Top 200 players in the "Masters" Leaderboards. I think this could work very well in a game such as APB, taking the Gold threat and being able to gain and lose points depending on how you do in missions, factoring and valuing many things such as Objective Play, KDR, Winning or losing and converting these into points which can be checked via the leaderboards. The top 100-200 players would be given the Platinum or Diamond Rank but can lose it by either losing their points due to playing poorly or due to being pushed out of the leaderboards by better players. It would also be ideal to have a Seasonal reset for that particular Leaderboard.

What would this require tho?

• Leaderboards being added back into the game.
  • A solid formula that doesn't overvalue certain things such as it is now with doing Objectives. 
  • A system that removes banned players from the Leaderboard. (So it doesn't get cluttered with cheaters even after their accounts were banned)
  • Active developers listening to community feedback based on point distribution in case things are broken, overvalued or are becoming stale.
  • A patch dedicated to balancing missions. (And also one dedicated to Weapon balance but this has already confirmed to be in the works.)

Matt mentioned something along the lines of making the game more competitive and I feel like giving players something to constantly grind and fight for would be a massive step in that direction.

Let me know what you think, this is just a general concept I had in mind and would love to hear feedback or criticism.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frosi said:

A solid formula that doesn't overvalue certain things such as it is now with doing Objectives. 

This is an issue with how match making rates things in general. Which hopefully will be fixed, instead of just for this single idea.

12 minutes ago, Frosi said:

I think that Little Orbit should look back at Leaderboards and see if they can be added back into the game so they can have a Threat that works in a similar way as the "Challenger rank" in League of Legends works. This Rank is awarded to the Top 200 players in the "Masters" Leaderboards. 

12 minutes ago, Frosi said:
  •  Leaderboards being added back into the game.
  •  A system that removes banned players from the Leaderboard. (So it doesn't get cluttered with cheaters even after their accounts were banned)
  •  Active developers listening to community feedback based on point distribution in case things are broken, overvalued or are becoming stale.
  •  A patch dedicated to balancing missions. (And also one dedicated to Weapon balance but this has already confirmed to be in the works.)

I'd like to see this.
However if we're on the topic of leader boards we'd need to make a way so you as a player can see where you are relative to the leaders. 
For example, I can see my ELO but other people can't unless I'm on the leader board. That way people who aren't on the leader board are able to see how far they are from me and how much work they need to put in so it doesn't feel like an endless grind. 

1 minute ago, Asparii said:

This is an issue with how match making rates things in general. Which hopefully will be fixed, instead of just for this single idea.

I'd like to see this.
However if we're on the topic of leader boards we'd need to make a way so you as a player can see where you are relative to the leaders. 
For example, I can see my ELO but other people can't unless I'm on the leader board. That way people who aren't on the leader board are able to see how far they are from me and how much work they need to put in so it doesn't feel like an endless grind. 

That would be a given, hiding your MMR/Points/Elo whatever you want to call it would be pointless and make ranking up feel much more random.

I think that having a Platinum rank would be a good idea to be honest. The skill gaps between Gold players can be so high. There are Golds that get 20+ kills a game and are at the very top of the player base and then there are Golds that only get a few kills each game and get by just playing the objectives. High Silvers, low Golds. Thing is the matchmaker doesn't distinguish between the gap and just throws Golds in with Golds which makes for bad games for everyone, the high Golds aren't challenged and the low Golds get destroyed to the point where it may as well be Gold players against Bronze players. At least having the very top level players in their own hard to reach threat category we'd get fairer games where Platinum players either play multiple Gold players or play other Platinum players.

iirc gold became very easy to obtain when the threshold was adjusted. it was adjusted from silver 10 to silver 6 so gold now starts at what was silver 6.

11 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I dont want to be mean... so Im not saying anything. 

Yeah I'm gonna shut my mouth and save another warning too.

4 hours ago, Frosi said:

I had this idea floating around in my head for a while so I'm going to try to do my best to explain it.

Essentially the threat system is at a point where it is very easy to get gold which also means that being Gold doesn't exactly mean that you're even half decent at the game. A way to fix this would be to simply add another threat as suggested many times before, this is a great idea but it won't work out if it is simply a threat like Gold that you'll eventually hit. 

I think that Little Orbit should look back at Leaderboards and see if they can be added back into the game so they can have a Threat that works in a similar way as the "Challenger rank" in League of Legends works. This Rank is awarded to the Top 200 players in the "Masters" Leaderboards. I think this could work very well in a game such as APB, taking the Gold threat and being able to gain and lose points depending on how you do in missions, factoring and valuing many things such as Objective Play, KDR, Winning or losing and converting these into points which can be checked via the leaderboards. The top 100-200 players would be given the Platinum or Diamond Rank but can lose it by either losing their points due to playing poorly or due to being pushed out of the leaderboards by better players. It would also be ideal to have a Seasonal reset for that particular Leaderboard.

What would this require tho?

• Leaderboards being added back into the game.
  • A solid formula that doesn't overvalue certain things such as it is now with doing Objectives. 
  • A system that removes banned players from the Leaderboard. (So it doesn't get cluttered with cheaters even after their accounts were banned)
  • Active developers listening to community feedback based on point distribution in case things are broken, overvalued or are becoming stale.
  • A patch dedicated to balancing missions. (And also one dedicated to Weapon balance but this has already confirmed to be in the works.)

Matt mentioned something along the lines of making the game more competitive and I feel like giving players something to constantly grind and fight for would be a massive step in that direction.

Let me know what you think, this is just a general concept I had in mind and would love to hear feedback or criticism.

you need to make this a topic on its own. This is a good idea. I want leader boards back too.. I will never be on them but it will bring back prestige for players.. this is what APB is all about after all.

Sign in to follow this