MattScott

Server lag update

On 7/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

We analyzed the logs and found a fairly significant source of latency, and we put a fix into the last patch.

I don't think there is any one silver bullet that will fix the lag, but I'm curious how everyone's experience has been so far during the Holiday Event.

Thanks,
Matt

It was significantly better on Jericho 2 or 3 days ago, but currently it's bad again. Edited by MrsHappyPenguin

Yeah... I gave up twice today.
Still, at least the team IS trying things, so Im not too mad. 

Today I've tried driving in districts after a break - it feels much more responsive. Almost as if I drove different cars before. Like I was never able to drive V20 Jericho without crashes, but now it's easy. Is it better servers or driving has been adjusted?

It was great for a few days and now back to how it was before. It's not fun running through a door and finding yourself back in the room you just left (repeated 3 times), or shooting at opposition forever and nothing landing only to find you're actually in a corner redecorating the wall.

@MattScott Please help!

Edited by liliya

I didn't play for couple weeks and somehow car driving became much more responsive now. Something has changed on servers.

SERVER LAG UPDATE at the moment, it is the prerogative of little orbit

@MattScott buddy, any news on jericho? citadel doesn't seem bad at all

is there any news regarding the server updates ?
i miss the good times without lagging...

citadel is ded , jericho is atleast grasping XDDDDD

Damn i was just doing my new char and now i can't create in citadel cuz 'world' is not responsive or smth... ;_; and i just gave about 20 mins of my life building that masterpiece of character ;_;

Hi guys,

I haven't responded to this in a while, so here is an update.

For context, this morning's outage had nothing to do with DDOSing or lag. Our European provider had a problem, and it took our servers down. That caused another problem, so we had to restart Jericho. My apologies to the players - especially in Europe - who had to wait.

We have another round of server code updates that we're hoping will address the lag. One of the big blockers is how to get that code properly tested. Most servers run fine with 20, 30, or even 50 players. We don't generally run into problems until we have a nearly full district at 80 players with a bunch of missions going on. Yesterday we were finally able to get an environment up and organize a regular group of employees to run a decent test. The results were mixed but very informative. I'm hoping we'll be able to do this now a couple times a week until we have a build that we feel is stable and addresses the issues.

For now, I'm sure you've noticed that we are rebooting the servers a little more often to help alleviate the problem. I've setup a schedule with our NOC to try and do that during low concurrency times, and I apologize for the disruption that causes, but I feel it's better than leaving the servers in an unplayable state.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

14 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi guys,

I haven't responded to this in a while, so here is an update.

For context, this morning's outage had nothing to do with DDOSing or lag. Our European provider had a problem, and it took our servers down. That caused another problem, so we had to restart Jericho. My apologies to the players - especially in Europe - who had to wait.

We have another round of server code updates that we're hoping will address the lag. One of the big blockers is how to get that code properly tested. Most servers run fine with 20, 30, or even 50 players. We don't generally run into problems until we have a nearly full district at 80 players with a bunch of missions going on. Yesterday we were finally able to get an environment up and organize a regular group of employees to run a decent test. The results were mixed but very informative. I'm hoping we'll be able to do this now a couple times a week until we have a build that we feel is stable and addresses the issues.

For now, I'm sure you've noticed that we are rebooting the servers a little more often to help alleviate the problem. I've setup a schedule with our NOC to try and do that during low concurrency times, and I apologize for the disruption that causes, but I feel it's better than leaving the servers in an unplayable state.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the updates Matt!

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Most servers run fine with 20, 30, or even 50 players. We don't generally run into problems until we have a nearly full district at 80 players with a bunch of missions going on.

I guess 100 max pop is out of the question for now.

Hi everyone,

We made several backend adjustments during last night's maintenance to help improve lag.
I would be curious to get anyone's feedback on Jericho and Citadel today.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Still stuttering like crazy for me.
No warping though, so thats something.
Edit: Jericho

Edited by CookiePuss

Cheers Matt, looking forward to the final solution.

Little to no problems what so ever in fight club this morning. Yesterday was horrendous with the constant warping every second, but no complaints today.

It has definitely improved since yesterday.

On Jericho.

Edited by speee

No warping, constant/lower ping, however, hit registry is still not at how it used to be on Citadel.