MattScott

Server lag update

Did @MattScott do something now? financial kept kicking me out so i took an hour break and came back..went from 120ms to 90 meaning mitigation is off and its working clean...

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

Let's talk about yesterday a little.

I just got back from Melbourne on Friday, and finally had a chance to get back in the game yesterday. 

A player alerted me that the game was running poorly, but we had been on mitigation, so I got on but wasn't sure what to expect.

I started with Financial and started running around with the other player.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I had not actually experienced rubberbanding. Until yesterday.

The game was literally unplayable, and I'm sorry for that. It's inexcusable.

I'm sure many of you experienced the same frustration and terrible issues during your missions and attempts to play.

I spent the better part of the day doing latency tests and pulling my dev and network team in on a Saturday to look at the problem.

All total I played on 4 different servers across PC and PS4, and at one point I was on a server entirely by myself. The rubberbanding was just as bad.

We finally decided it was better to quickly reboot the Jericho servers to continue testing.

After the reboot, I got on again. I even played in a couple missions in green.

(Yes. You may have seen me running around Financial and Waterfront. I got my patootie handed to me. I think I got one kill the entire time.)

Here are a couple things I want to acknowledge from yesterday's research:

• Mitigation for DDOS causes latency.. maybe 20-30ms extra on Jericho. Less on Citadel. It certainly affects the game, but nothing like what I saw.
  • We run real hardware not cloud servers. And while it's entirely possible that our servers aren't strong enough, after rebooting, the servers I played on ran great.
  • In my opinion, this is clearly an issue in the server code, and my team is working through the server logs from yesterday to determine what happened so we can fix it.

Unfortunately in our efforts to try and clear more support tickets, we had more of our GMs handling tickets.

Going forward Lixil has re-tasked them all with staying in-game to help report latency issues, so we can quickly reboot servers is there are issues.

I had something of a celebration planned for this week, and we're still going to run it, but given the circumstances I'm going to change that theme to something else. Ultimately we appreciate you guys for hanging in there. I'll post tomorrow with more details.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Thank you for putting out a statement.

The recent issues (which will likely be resolved in the near future) aside, I feel like you and your team at Little Orbit have done some pretty incredible things with APB.

Within your first couple weeks, you removed or back-seated the old staff members that were causing problems and animosity within the game. You implemented a brand new anti-cheat system, and you unbanned accounts that were unfairly banned by the aforementioned staff.

I have been following your blog posts, road map and the recent announcements and have to say that I'm impressed at how well you and your team grasp the current state of the game. The CEO actually reaching out to the community is something we never saw with Gamersfirst, we were lucky to have occasional communication with Tiggs. Come to think of it, I played since Open Beta, I don't even recall the G1 CEO's name.

I want to thank you and your team for the efforts you are taking in revitalizing this game. My clan has seen a major boost in recruitment since the initial announcement of Little Orbit purchasing APB and it continues to flow steadily.

Please maintain the enthusiasm, professionalism and persistence that you and your staff have exhibited for bringing this game back. I know that a lot of players (myself included at some points) are frustrated with the current lag and issue with various blatant hackers, but I understand and try to convey to others that this is a growing pain associated with any transition of this nature. I am confident that if the player base can exhibit some patience during the transition, they will likely be surprised and pleased with where the game will be in the not-so-distant future.

Again, thank you for your diligence and for reaching out and communicating with the community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

i  really like knowing that a CEO actually sees stuff from himself , instead of sitting the whole day into his work chair .

great work matt , we all really like what you're doing .

• Like 1

what is the spec of the current servers?

5 hours ago, MattScott said:

Mitigation for DDOS causes latency.. maybe 20-30ms extra on Jericho. Less on Citadel. It certainly affects the game, but nothing like what I saw. 

yeah that's what i was saying in couple of my previous posts since servers disconnect happens in last week , when mitigation on the rubberbanding will be a permanent problem in the game , the mitigation solved disconnect problems yes but it cause rubberbanding , i hope u guys find a fix around that can make servers running smoothly without rubberbanding along with mitigation on

It would be cool if software could trigger the latency alert instead. It's mind blowing that there isn't any considering latency problems and ddos since at least early 2014.

Hopefully LO won't need any monitor tool tho and will just fix the issue. Thanks for caring Matt.

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

What would be the feasibility of setting up the servers to automatically restart at a set time every so often (24/48/72 hours, as examples)? Since that apparently fixes this issue in the short term.

I could go for this

I need to tell you...

my ticket hasn't been answered for a month, make it 2 months because of the switch over.

Edited by Deadliest

Thanks, Matt

I know I might sound like a fanboy but we really appreciate you. perfect communication and cheerful, logical reasoning and professional attitude.

good job to you and your team.

Well spent time 🙂

celebration ? can‘t wait holy moly!!!!

(Independence day?)

Edited by Fumiku

Omg, someone actually went to check how shit/garbage the game runs and there are plans being made to fix it?!

LO ❤️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fasalina said:

Omg, someone actually went to check how shit/garbage the game runs and there are plans being made to fix it?!

LO ❤️

It's not just someone, it's the actual CEO of the corporation running this game atm.

That's fuckin bonkers if you thing about it lol

Thank's for the update, still can't get used to this communication lark.

Thank you for updating! It sounds like a memory leak to me 🙂

3 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

It's not just someone, it's the actual CEO of the corporation running this game atm.

I wished, i could have joined him at the time, but then again, he said he got his butt handed to him, hopefully, it wasnt in the green server:classic_blush:

3 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

Smaller studios do tend to have the company head be more visible to the players compared to bigger dev houses for whatever reason.

One of the upsides to not being some big and bloated studio perhaps

4 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

iirc last night in discord he said he was working on some game code too

Thanks Matt!  Glad to see this is being taken care of 🙂  

Ooooh a celebration you say?  Can't wait to see what it is!

8 hours ago, Seedy said:

what is the spec of the current servers?

Intel Core 2 Duo 4gb ddr2 ram personal PC turned into a linux server probably...this game old and they never did a thing with the servers :v

16 minutes ago, Keshi said:

Intel Core 2 Duo 4gb ddr2 ram personal PC turned into a linux server probably...this game old and they never did a thing with the servers :v

they added new HDD`s to get rid of some of the dust inside :classic_sleep:

Yeah something needs to be done it’s been pretty damn bad. Even with regular ping and no packet loss you can still get rubberbanding and hitreg issues which has been annoying as all hell especially during critical moments in missions

Edited by SuperToaster